ADVERTISEMENT

What are your expectations for next year?

That's a cheap shot at the players who were going to come play for the program. It's far more simplistic than some want it to be. They have known the coaches recruiting them for 2 to 3 years. If you build relationships and know someone, sign on and then they leave, what would you do? No matter what the school is, players go to play for the HC/Staff at that school. These guys weren't the problem, it was what Cal was NOT doing with them as a team on the court. That's on him/his staff. I think Pope will take a different approach in recruiting by blending talent pools to make his program, but you still need elite HS talent.

Some of the shots taken at players leaving or choosing to go elsewhere is really strange to me. Fland had UConn and Alabama after him hard. He chose UK. He didn't switch HS/AAU teams. He was a loyal guy and helped recruit on the program's behalf. Right now in addition to Arkansas, there's heavy buzz that Alabama, UConn, and UNC have all reached out-UNC being where current Tar Heel and former Stepinac HS grad RJ Davis is and of course his good friend Ian Jackson. Fland waited for today to pull trigger on decommit and not really a coincidence that it was rumored that Orlando Antigua (his recruiter for UK/relationship guy) was told he would NOT be a member of Pope's staff.

Billy Richmond was committed/never signed. Son of an ex Cal player at Memphis and also was recruited by UConn--and Hurley's made it clear they don't mess around with Dbag parents or kids who aren't about winning. Another guy Alabama liked a lot. And for those who want to bash Oats-he also offered Travis Perry and liked him a lot too.

Somto talked with Pope already. Great physical presence and athlete. Rim Protection and defense which are needed at the elite level. Don't think UK prefers him but they reached out and talked with him. He's kept door open.

Jayden Quaintance is a 2 yr CBB player. UK reached out and he's a fine young man. Exploring options.

Karter Knox was actually considering Arkansas before Cal left UK so combine those 2 elements and it would make sense for him. Personally think his best fit would be staying close to home and playing at USF.

Travis Perry is staying. Which makes complete sense.

To mock elite talent is not fair to the players. They don't hate Kentucky but they move to where they have relationships. It's happening every year now with guys on teams everywhere which is why the Portal is heading toward 3500/4000 players in it. Loyalty is gone period. The front of the jersey matters for a year--then you see if people stay as long as the $/situation is right. If you want to build a program a certain manner-then you'll do so but guys will still be in/out as you are always needing to get the best players/roster you can get. Pissing on talented people isn't the way to go.
Call it what you want, most of The kids left without giving Pope a chance to even sit down and talk. An essay about it won't change that.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: ralphdaltonfan
I expect to be invested in and enjoy the team more than any of the last 7 years or so. I also expect they will win a few more games than the last couple of years.
I agree, we don't even know what the roster will look like yet but I think we will be competitive in the SEC and win a couple in the dance.
Anything better and it's icing on the cake for year 1.

Winning 1 game in post season is not the standard at UK though
Correct. But given the late start and having to start from scratch, I don’t think we can hold next year completely against him. That said I still expect at least 24 wins and at least a 1st rnd ncaa win

I don't think he's counting him out or at least I hope he's not yet.
I am not counting him out at all. I'm just not going to allow the fans who walk back the expectations this program and the Head Coach have-as he should. I've repeatedly mentioned I think he's an excellent coach and can do this when others are like "well he's got to have time..doesn't have a roster...." and those are excuses. Mentioned how he's got advantage that previous era coaches taking over don't.

He could've said anything he wanted to moderate the expectations and he chose to raise them. I love that confidence and so did everyone else but now some want to act like being mediocre is fine in the first year or two. Bull****.

My only lack of faith is in Mitch Barnhart. I think he's a jackass that needed to be shown the door with Cal, but I like Pope's basketball system and coaching and love the first recruit he brought in was Collin Chandler. That guy is a stud. Hell I had to disagree with a guy who pretended to know something that said "No way would he come because he's Mormon and took a Mission" and was saying that was BS-and look where we are today.

Some of the Kentucky fans have been so traumatized or accepting of Cal's mediocrity they forget who they are. It's time to embrace expectation and winning as the standard. I just don't give a pass if this year goes to crap because that's not acceptable no matter who the coach is and in this era where it's a lot easier to have a smooth transition and not drop off, he needs to deliver on what he set as the proper goal IMO.

I’d say probably like 12 losses. Probably get a six or seven seed, get to the semis of the SEC.

That’s my guess as of now without seeing a roster.

I am not counting him out at all. I'm just not going to allow the fans who walk back the expectations this program and the Head Coach have-as he should. I've repeatedly mentioned I think he's an excellent coach and can do this when others are like "well he's got to have time..doesn't have a roster...." and those are excuses. Mentioned how he's got advantage that previous era coaches taking over don't.

He could've said anything he wanted to moderate the expectations and he chose to raise them. I love that confidence and so did everyone else but now some want to act like being mediocre is fine in the first year or two. Bull****.

My only lack of faith is in Mitch Barnhart. I think he's a jackass that needed to be shown the door with Cal, but I like Pope's basketball system and coaching and love the first recruit he brought in was Collin Chandler. That guy is a stud. Hell I had to disagree with a guy who pretended to know something that said "No way would he come because he's Mormon and took a Mission" and was saying that was BS-and look where we are today.

Some of the Kentucky fans have been so traumatized or accepting of Cal's mediocrity they forget who they are. It's time to embrace expectation and winning as the standard. I just don't give a pass if this year goes to crap because that's not acceptable no matter who the coach is and in this era where it's a lot easier to have a smooth transition and not drop off, he needs to deliver on what he set as the proper goal IMO.
From 2000-2024, we have either not made the tournament or not made it past the first weekend of the tournament 50% of the time.

Expectations will change with every new commit, Decommit, portal transfer, staff addition, etc. way too early for us to have any sort of real "expectations."

Reactions: bubba_bomb
Ralph appears to already be counting Pope out, and stacking the odds against him. Hmmmm..
That's total BS. I'm embracing the HC and what he said. I don't get all feely about a Pep Rally like some people. That was an event to rally everyone, which was great and everyone is all ready to go run through a wall and now they want to walk things back or lower the bar? BS.

As for what he said--did you not hear him say how he's different in not thinking they have to wait and he even mentioned how he's separate from how most coaches walk in and try to temper the expectation of the program-he said it's Kentucky and you expect to win every game, every championship and I LOVED THAT. Now he's just got to be held to that vision. Calipari talked of passing UCLA when he got the job and he was delivering a program that showed he was backing up what he said....and even in the drop off after '15-they were a contending program who made 2 Elite 8's. Then he was allowed to lower expectations and coast.

We can be supportive but also disagree. We both like him and want to see him succeed. Just don't think he can be afforded all this time others want to give for some reason and "protect" him. I loved the start of his roster with keeping Perry and getting a very talented player in Collin Chandler. I'm excited to see who fills out the Staff too but I'm not all feely about a Pep Rally or really care that he played here either. That shouldn't give a pass either. Barnhart's the guy who I don't care for and have little faith in and even in hiring a good Coach he has shown why--the lack of awareness and what he said impressed him was so laughable and ignorant, it just proved why he shouldn't be allowed to hire a Basketball Coach. He got lucky Mark is a Cat and knows basketball because Mitch sounded like a 12 yr old fanboy.

What is a reasonable expectation the fanbase should have for the next 1 or 2 seasons?

Obviously Pope is getting started a little later than would be preferable, but it's still only mid-April and the portal is still growing daily, with some solid players still being available.

We are likely losing everything except Perry, and even he mentioned he still needed to speak with Pope about things first. So you are basically in complete rebuild mode, which makes me think next year could be a subpar year as far as overall results.

With a full season to build relationships with recruits and full season being able to identify more guys he would target as transfers that fit his vision, I think the 2nd year should be a solid improvement. I think the 3rd season will be the one where we know if he is going to make it or not.
The line is, win a championship by year 4.

I'm not gonna walk back expectations at all. He knows what's expected, he accepted it and he said he will not back down from the task at hand. I think when it's said and done, the staff will be what he needs to help get this going and the roster will be pleasant surprise, filled with players that fit his style and we will be competitive....then he hits the recruiting trail for the 2025 HS class and I'm sure we will use the portal as well...it's up to him to make it work but I'm gonna ride along and see where this goes.

Kentucky should be in the discussion every year of a team capable of winning in March. In the discussion during the season and during the tournament. I'm in my early 50's and have only seen 4 National Championships. That is about 1 Natty a decade. We should not expect that every year. No coach should be held to that standard because it has not been done. Being in the discussion during the season means a perennial top ten/twenty team. Then in the tournament they need to be a very tough out and a legit final four threat. Rick Pitino used to say knock on the door long enough and you will eventually kick the door in. Kentucky like other blue blood programs should be knocking on the door every year and kicking it in some times. That is the program we should expect as a blue blood. Not losing to Saint Peters and Oakland in the first round.

I'm not gonna walk back expectations at all. He knows what's expected, he accepted it and he said he will not back down from the task at hand. I think when it's said and done, the staff will be what he needs to help get this going and the roster will be pleasant surprise, filled with players that fit his style and we will be competitive....then he hits the recruiting trail for the 2025 HS class and I'm sure we will use the portal as well...it's up to him to make it work but I'm gonna ride along and see where this goes.
Well said and I am never upset if someone has a differing viewpoint. Just don't like hearing that I don't support the coach or hire. It's simply a situation where a pep rally does nothing for me, what he actually says and does matters. I'm fired up and LOVE the first commitment. That was a guy that jumped out immediately.

Think we'll know a lot more when his staff is in place and I'm excited about him bringing his right hand guy Coach Fueger with him. That is a guy who I thought may factor into BYU replacing Pope so this is a great get and someone he can rely upon/trust/shares the vision.

Good start to the roster today and exciting month ahead as a lot of work to get done.

Reactions: Catfan2226
No expectations
Just want to roll with the changes and trust Pope’s process
Maybe some expectations will set in after the roster and staff is in place

I’m not really sure what my expectations are for next year. I understand it is a full on rebuild, and we’re starting from scratch in mid April. But the portal and nil should field us a competitive team. I know some stuff I will be looking at outside of wins and losses

-What kind of guys will he recruit from hs
-What will he run on offense, and what will it look like it tight, close games
-What defense will we see, what times will he change it up
-What type of plays will we see coming out of timeouts
-What kind of adjustments will we see when stuff just isn’t working
-How will he handle the big games (duke will show a lot)
-How will he prepare the guys for hostile SEC road games

I am going out on a limb win 18-20 games anything over that will be amazing.
I am looking at this like Pitinos first year and it just going to get better.

Totally depends on roster.

As of now here are my expectations...

• Make NCAA tournament
  • Win 1-2 games in SEC tournament
  • Beat U6
  • Be competitive and/or beat dUKe
  • Beat Arkansas at home (a sweep would be great)
    • You dang well know they're gonna schedule a home and home with Arkansas

So many people just willing to write off the next 2 years after we just endured a 5 year stretch with once NCAA tournament win. Before you know it we'll be staring at a decade of mediocrity.

Reactions: RunninRichie
I’ll think they’ll squeak into the NCAA tournament win a game or two, course that could be nostalgia talking, different time now. I think worst case scenario they win 15 games. they’re not gonna have any high profile players.

What is a reasonable expectation the fanbase should have for the next 1 or 2 seasons?

Obviously Pope is getting started a little later than would be preferable, but it's still only mid-April and the portal is still growing daily, with some solid players still being available.

We are likely losing everything except Perry, and even he mentioned he still needed to speak with Pope about things first. So you are basically in complete rebuild mode, which makes me think next year could be a subpar year as far as overall results.

With a full season to build relationships with recruits and full season being able to identify more guys he would target as transfers that fit his vision, I think the 2nd year should be a solid improvement. I think the 3rd season will be the one where we know if he is going to make it or not.
A banner. Did you not watch the press conference? :) Just kidding. I could see 22 wins and an NCAA berth, but this will depend a lot on the roster. It is too early to answer this question. If you give Pope players who are even a notch below what we are used to getting, then you will have better end results. Pope will be the best coach we have had since Pitino.

That's total BS. I'm embracing the HC and what he said. I don't get all feely about a Pep Rally like some people. That was an event to rally everyone, which was great and everyone is all ready to go run through a wall and now they want to walk things back or lower the bar? BS.

As for what he said--did you not hear him say how he's different in not thinking they have to wait and he even mentioned how he's separate from how most coaches walk in and try to temper the expectation of the program-he said it's Kentucky and you expect to win every game, every championship and I LOVED THAT. Now he's just got to be held to that vision. Calipari talked of passing UCLA when he got the job and he was delivering a program that showed he was backing up what he said....and even in the drop off after '15-they were a contending program who made 2 Elite 8's. Then he was allowed to lower expectations and coast.

We can be supportive but also disagree. We both like him and want to see him succeed. Just don't think he can be afforded all this time others want to give for some reason and "protect" him. I loved the start of his roster with keeping Perry and getting a very talented player in Collin Chandler. I'm excited to see who fills out the Staff too but I'm not all feely about a Pep Rally or really care that he played here either. That shouldn't give a pass either. Barnhart's the guy who I don't care for and have little faith in and even in hiring a good Coach he has shown why--the lack of awareness and what he said impressed him was so laughable and ignorant, it just proved why he shouldn't be allowed to hire a Basketball Coach. He got lucky Mark is a Cat and knows basketball because Mitch sounded like a 12 yr old fanboy.
Yes, we both want him to succeed. You definitely are giving off a "he's not what who I wanted, so I'm going to be extra critical of him" vibe. Were you saying the same things upon his hire?

Yes, we both want him to succeed. You definitely are giving off a "he's not what who I wanted, so I'm going to be extra critical of him" vibe. Were you saying the same things upon his hire?
I have no issue with the hire. The only thing I've consistently said during the Cal era/post Cal era is that I don't trust or like Mitch Barnhart. I still don't. Hope that Coach Pope is a home run and like what I've heard/seen from him so far, but what "impressed" Barnhart is ridiculous. Pope's very intelligent and smart people know how to sway goobers. Mitch is 100% a goober. Look no further than that SNL like skit he did with Cal a few weeks ago that was a complete embarrassment.

My "vibe" is that I don't care about sentimental crap. It's about what you say/do. If those match up, I'm on board. Everyone is different and what appeals to them is different, which is fine. But projecting that I don't think he's a good coach is not true. I like style of play, his vision for a program, etc....but what I don't do is walk back expectations because he's "one of us". That's nonsense. He said what the goals are, loved hearing that and I'm going to assume he does what he says.

The easy part is not being Cal. That's simple. The hard part is being successful and accomplishing goals he's never achieved as a Coach while understanding it's the standard. He's got the job and we all want him to succeed.

Reactions: NociHTTP
I have no issue with the hire. The only thing I've consistently said during the Cal era/post Cal era is that I don't trust or like Mitch Barnhart. I still don't. Hope that Coach Pope is a home run and like what I've heard/seen from him so far, but what "impressed" Barnhart is ridiculous. Pope's very intelligent and smart people know how to sway goobers. Mitch is 100% a goober. Look no further than that SNL like skit he did with Cal a few weeks ago that was a complete embarrassment.

My "vibe" is that I don't care about sentimental crap. It's about what you say/do. If those match up, I'm on board. Everyone is different and what appeals to them is different, which is fine. But projecting that I don't think he's a good coach is not true. I like style of play, his vision for a program, etc....but what I don't do is walk back expectations because he's "one of us". That's nonsense. He said what the goals are, loved hearing that and I'm going to assume he does what he says.

The easy part is not being Cal. That's simple. The hard part is being successful and accomplishing goals he's never achieved as a Coach while understanding it's the standard. He's got the job and we all want him to succeed.
The only thing I don't want to see happen is UK fire one of their own. I don't want to see that happen to Mark. I also wouldn't want him to have to take a lesser job than the place he started his career. To me, this feels like they are throwing every resource at him possible to help make that not happen.

The only thing I don't want to see happen is UK fire one of their own. I don't want to see that happen to Mark. I also wouldn't want him to have to take a lesser job than the place he started his career. To me, this feels like they are throwing every resource at him possible to help make that not happen.
He's got every resource and more because of the version of Cal he's replacing. Calipari being in fat and bloated mode is Mark's biggest aid. He just has to give a damn and he'll be a massive upgrade. Thing is if it doesn't work, you need to move quickly because of the same reasons though. So let's make sure it works. Sounds simple enough but many walk back expectations when someone/something they like is in place rather than have the ability to ignore sentimental feelings.

Which is why I keep saying I love what Pope said/did and he went above/beyond emphasizing what this program is and where it needs to be in CBB. That's the part I've loved about the guy. He gets what those of us who don't care about sentimental things want to see-winning. Just waiting to see who the staff is but the recruit today is a huge positive. That Chandler get is big time!

Reactions: NociHTTP
@ralphdaltonfan : there is a huge difference on how things happened at UK vs Duke and UNC. K handpicked his successor and gave him access to all the resources that he created . Coach S even had time to do the recruiting and ran practices for couple years before he took over. Similar at UNC .

What Mitch did at UK was a fiasco. Let’s face it, the fox Calipari got outplayed. I will not be surprised if Mitch was somehow not involved in how the Arkansas AD played Calipari by leaking the discussion, knowing that would put Calipari in a situation of breaching the contract because he did announce Mitch first.
Calipari did not want to go to Arkansas , wanted just to use Arkansas as leverage in his ask to Mitch about NILfunds, facilities etc. Mitch told him sayonara and now we are in this situation where Calipari is not going to help Kentucky by any means and Pope not only has start from scratch but he is going to have to recruit against arguably one of the best college recruiters , Calipari.
Even K was making fun of the situation and he could not believe that Calipari is going to coach outside of UK and especially in the same conference.

I feel really bad for Pope. I know he is super excited for being at his dream job but Mitch dealt him the worse hand possible.

We’re knocking UConn and that cocky @$$ Hurley off his pedestal….. The trophy is coming back to Lexington….

Mitch did not want Calipari in the first place but he was forced and he hired him . In 2019 he panicked that Cal is leaving to UCLA and offered him a contract that was bad for both parties. Now he panicked again seeing BBN backlash …. He supposed to be clear the mastermind , planning ahead…

He didn’t wait for Billy D cause we will be late in the transfer portal. I will be curious how many guys we will be signed by the end of this weekend besides the BYU guys and Travis Perry.

@ralphdaltonfan : there is a huge difference on how things happened at UK vs Duke and UNC. K handpicked his successor and gave him access to all the resources that he created . Coach S even had time to do the recruiting and ran practices for couple years before he took over. Similar at UNC .

What Mitch did at UK was a fiasco. Let’s face it, the fox Calipari got outplayed. I will not be surprised if Mitch was somehow not involved in how the Arkansas AD played Calipari by leaking the discussion, knowing that would put Calipari in a situation of breaching the contract because he did announce Mitch first.
Calipari did not want to go to Arkansas , wanted just to use Arkansas as leverage in his ask to Mitch about NILfunds, facilities etc. Mitch told him sayonara and now we are in this situation where Calipari is not going to help Kentucky by any means and Pope not only has start from scratch but he is going to have to recruit against arguably one of the best college recruiters , Calipari.
Even K was making fun of the situation and he could not believe that Calipari is going to coach outside of UK and especially in the same conference.
Agree on Cal overplaying his hand 100%. The power struggle in place. Agreed.

Duke/UNC having those coaches on staff too. Agree-they had built the recruiting ties/angles and played under those coaches at some point-be it Roy as an Assistant at UNC or Scheyer as a player.

Pope is walking into perfect situation though. People were out on this version of Cal and deservedly so. The NIL funding will be significantly higher for him then bloated version of Cal. He's got resources/support that can help him get things going quicker and a he's got the AD who has a vendetta/pissing contest with the ex-coach he never wanted to hire and made him look stupid with that marriage counseling video which was his own doing due to the stupidity of the extension/contract terms wanting to beat him at all costs.

This is just going to be a matter of getting the right staff hired, and the roster in place. I don't think Arkansas fans understand at all the version of Cal they are getting. He can fake the offseason all he wants but once the season starts he's shown the passion/energy of Jabba The Hutt. From complaining about traveling, to recruiting and having to travel, to not getting enough time to do what he wants, etc.....

Cal vs Mitch is going to be the war here-not Pope. He's just in between it and as the HC involved but it's those 2 going at it which is sad on so many levels.

Reactions: Mulder14 and AJG-15
next year is a wash - anything is gravy.

after that, normal expectations kick in - upward trajectory each year until the goal is reached

Correct. But given the late start and having to start from scratch, I don’t think we can hold next year completely against him. That said I still expect at least 24 wins and at least a 1st rnd ncaa win
Yeah, TBF how can we say what the expectation are when there are like 2 solid commitments

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT