ADVERTISEMENT

What are our thoughts about next year?

Have to get two big time transfer guards. If not, you're looking at something like a 20-11 record. And that's with Brooks, Allen, Toppin, Ware, Askew, and Ware all returning. As it stands right now, the backcourt is a huge glaring weakness for next season.

Reactions: kyjeff1 and G-PIP
I have a question about your thoughts on Askew. Aren’t we wanting Cal to recruit guys who stay 3 or 4 years, yet we want to run a guy out of town who hasn’t performed well as a Freshman. Just doesn’t make sense to me.
Think Cal only got half of it right. We want the three and four year players but shouldn't have to depend on them their first year. Cal forgot to get a starting PG that leads us to wins while the three/four year player comes in and gets spot minutes at best.

This season was likely lost a long time ago. Worst season in 100 years. Nobody is happy. It’s embarrassing that we are this bad. But it’s the exception not the rule and we will likely never repeat these results. With that said, all you can do is laugh. If you can’t laugh at yourself then what can ya do?
Now here is what we know for sure.......Cal isn’t getting fired and he likely isn’t leaving. We can scream and bitch and cry all we want but it isn’t productive. It will mean nothing other than an outlet to vent. I get that it makes some feel better. It does nothing for me personally.

So what can we as fans hope for that has a realistic shot at happening? We have to return these players to go along with our incoming kids. We have returned players before that we though had no shot at coming back. It’s the key to special seasons. Returning guys is the only thing we all agree on. Our youth is fragile as hell in this day. It’s not like when we were young. They are not tough and they have social media. The fan base probably needs to leave these kids alone on social media and resist the urge to act stupid on Twitter and stuff. The fans absolutely play a part in some kids leaving the program. Hell some of you dummies are actually publicly rooting for Allen to leave. How stupid can you be? Cal ain’t leaving so deal with it. The least we can do is hope the kids stay.

I’m glad this thread exists because I started thinking about next season in early January. What the coaching staff does next is critical. How the fans act next is critical. The players upcoming decisions is critical. Next year could be awesome or it could be mediocre.

This Sec tournament will be fun though. What a weird situation UK is in. I hope they can pull it out of their ass and get some momentum to think about after their last game.

To be blunt I think it depends on Askew. If he comes back and plays mins like he is now it’ll cost us. If he plays limited mins or leaves, we will be much better. He has deficiencies that cannot get much better. He’s slow. Not quick. Can’t pass. Can’t shoot. Bad decision maker. Gets panicky. He is an offense killer and offers nothing on defense.

I couldn’t agree any more.

Need Hickman to take off, grad transfer or surprise stud recruit.

Askew is a back up on power 5 conference team.

Reactions: MbergCat and jedwar
I worry about askew’s ceiling. In a couple of years will he be able to contribute on a successful team? If he stays I hope so but it will take a lot of work.

I have a question about your thoughts on Askew. Aren’t we wanting Cal to recruit guys who stay 3 or 4 years, yet we want to run a guy out of town who hasn’t performed well as a Freshman. Just doesn’t make sense to me.
no amount of time is going to improve his speed or athleticism.. He just will never be able to get by his man on a drive that cal needs for his system.

Last edited:
Reactions: GoNoles111
I’m glad you can. I try. But continuing to trot Askew out there with it blatantly costing us wins really sours me. Some may say that’s not true. But it is. He’s cost us several games we couldn’t spare to lose.

Oh yeah I’m over this season if I continue to put any more thought into this year it will just piss me off even more.

Cal is going to keep pushing Askew thru the “growing pains” and hoping he turns the corner and has a breakthrough but that shit ain’t happening.

Reactions: MbergCat and jedwar
Not sure. Was Epps that great especially as a freshman? Could a junior Askew have led the ‘96 squad? I think maybe. Or a senior Askew leading ‘97 team to FF? Again maybe.

We don’t know how he will develop. Be good if he stays IMO.
Epps was a faster player and also shot over 40% from 3. ... Also Pitino's teams played based on shooting........ Cal's is an athletetic drive to the basket system that will never change, and Askew will never be able to get by his man and score inside....... and will never be the shooter or have the speed that Ulis was to make up for it.

Reactions: MbergCat
There's a difference between being a continuity type glue guy and being the one that the keys to the Ferrari are handed to. I don't mind askew staying but he needs to be a 5 to 10 minute type player. I doubt he can lead a team to the final four.
Askew will be much improved next year and get starter minutes.

He’s a freshman! You all do realize that guys improve. Nick Richards was terrible as a freshman. Thank god he didn’t hit the road.
you can also add Quickley to that list
when the false rumor of IQ transferring was started, we had many many on here that said we would not miss him (now they all deny saying it)

you can also add Quickley to that list
when the false rumor of IQ transferring was started, we had many many on here that said we would not miss him (now they all deny saying it)
How many minutes did Nick/IQ get as a freshman?Did Cal throw them out there no matter what like Askew?

How many minutes did Nick/IQ get as a freshman?Did Cal throw them out there no matter what like Askew?
IQ played 634 minutes in 37 games. that year we also had Herro, Johnson, Green, Baker, Hagans on the team, so he got a lot of minutes considering the amount of guards/wings on that team

NR played 543 minutes in 37 games (he would have played much more had he understood not to foul everyone)

An off season isn’t going to make him faster or more athletic. he is trying really hard. He may get somewhat better but he is not Kentucky grade.

He’s a freshman! You all do realize that guys improve. Nick Richards was terrible as a freshman. Thank god he didn’t hit the road.
Not just Nick Richards. People forget about Jorts as well. Jorts looked awful his first 2-3 years as well. In fact when Cal came in he told Jorts what he told the other BCG recruits (minus Patterson, Miller, Liggins, and the would be seniors). He said something to the tune of “if you stay you’re probably not going to play and I think it would be in your best interest to transfer.” But he didn’t. That lit a fire under him and he worked his tail off. And his senior year he was a fan favorite and helped us get to our first final four in forever.

Albeit he got to play because Kanter was ineligible. But still, players do get better. I reject the notion that Askew can’t get better. It‘s absolutely terrible take imo. He can better. He wasn’t a highly ranked player for nothing. He just isnt an impact freshman. And it’s Cal’s fault for playing him so much.

Askew should’ve been the back up to Mintz and be allowed to learn the college game from that role rather than being forced into the starting role and getting 35+ min.

Not just Nick Richards. People forget about Jorts as well. Jorts looked awful his first 2-3 years as well. In fact when Cal came in he told Jorts what he told the other BCG recruits (minus Patterson, Miller, Liggins, and the would be seniors). He said something to the tune of “if you stay you’re probably not going to play and I think it would be in your best interest to transfer.” But he didn’t. That lit a fire under him and he worked his tail off. And his senior year he was a fan favorite and helped us get to our first final four in forever.

Albeit he got to play because Kanter was ineligible. But still, players do get better. I reject the notion that Askew can’t get better. It‘s absolutely terrible take imo. He can better. He wasn’t a highly ranked player for nothing. He just isnt an impact freshman. And it’s Cal’s fault for playing him so much.

Askew should’ve been the back up to Mintz and be allowed to learn the college game from that role rather than being forced into the starting role and getting 35+ min.
Did Cow tell Jorts to transfer

I think we will be better, but how much depends on whether guys come back and how much they develop during the off-season.

I am not ready to give up on Askew. He was in over his head this season, and should have not been placed in that situation. But that doesn’t mean he can’t be better as a Soph. That is normally how it works.

I think we probably get Askew, Toppin, and Ware back. Add Tshiebwe. Add Hickman, Hopkins, Collins plus Clark reclassifies. Add 2-3 transfer guards/wings.

G Askew/Hickman
G Clark/transfer
F Toppin/transfer
F Collins/Hopkins
F Tshiebwe/Ware

It all really hinges on Askew’s improvement how much better we can be.

Reactions: K_TIME
Exactly. Cal has trained this fan base well. One season is all a guy gets in this program now.
Some of us remember a time where we got to watch kids improve and grow and become good players. Cal has done a number on this fan base

I think we will be better, but how much depends on whether guys come back and how much they develop during the off-season.

I am not ready to give up on Askew. He was in over his head this season, and should have not been placed in that situation. But that doesn’t mean he can’t be better as a Soph. That is normally how it works.

I think we probably get Askew, Toppin, and Ware back. Add Tshiebwe. Add Hickman, Hopkins, Collins plus Clark reclassifies. Add 2-3 transfer guards/wings.

G Askew/Hickman
G Clark/transfer
F Toppin/transfer
F Collins/Hopkins
F Tshiebwe/Ware

It all really hinges on Askew’s improvement how much better we can be.
You think Clark will be back?

Did Cow tell Jorts to transfer
I’m not sure if he came out and said “you should transfer” but he did make it clear Jorts wouldn’t be prioritized for PT and if he wanted PT he would be better served transferring. I read an article about it that came out after that season that posted here. I have no idea if that article can still be found.

Calipari has had four seasons with double digit losses during his twelve years here and this season was during a pandemic.

I know a lot of it depends on who comebacks. I think our front court will be ok. Oscar should be great. Brooks should be back. Collins and Ware should round things out. Hickman will get a long look at PG or SG. Hopefully Mintz comes back. I think Allen leaves. Askew needs to play elsewhere in my opinion. So Guard play will be a problem again if we don’t get Clark or someone else in. Overall If we can get some guards we might be much improved.
Not optimistic, but better than this year. Couldn’t be worse. 31 game season with good, but not sold out crowds. Winning record, maybe an NCAAT bid, but not a serious contender.

Now is not the time to move the goal posts. This is one instance where we better recruit over a player or we'll continue to struggle.
Devin seems like a great kid but he is NOT qualified to start and play 25 mpg at UK. If he's willing to stick around work hard and play a back up role then I'm all in. Right now he doesn't have the quickness, shooting, or ability to finish at the rim you need in a PG.

Some were saying before this season that Boston and Clarke would be two of the best Cal ever had.I'm not getting excited about high school stats anymore.
I understand your point and appreciate the caution, but this kid is known for ball-handling and love of defense, not stat-stuffing. Hopefully, he can bring those skills to the collegiate game, as he is the exact kind of player that always gives us fits. He appears to be a table-setter. He will have to prove it, you’re right. I’m hoping for Tyler Ulis II.

I agree that's laughable. Epps was super steady and a helluva player. Askew wouldn't have been towel boy on the 96 team.
Epps is an all-time favorite of mine. He was an incredible passer, especially into the post and low block. I’ve often thought it would be worthwhile for Cal to have Epps work with our guards and wing personnel, showing them how to set up others in positions to score. In my opinion, Antoine Walker owed a lot of his scoring to feeds from Epps. One thing is for certain, Nolan Richardson knew how valuable Epps was ... as he stated it many times and was glad to see him graduate. Epps was adept !!

I will play. You are absolutely correct we want 3-4 year players zero doubt. Tell me one thing Askew does well? Shooting? Passing? Penetration ability? Makes smart decisions? Defend? I will stop and listen. The kid plays hard but i can give you 50 kids that play the point in ky high school ranks that do more than this this young man brings.

Askew/Mintz/Hickman/Skyy Clark would be the worst defensive backcourt in UK history and up there in history of CBB. They need to get a real PG someone who has speed/quickness and the ability to defend his man without help or switching off like a scared little kid as Askew does incessantly--even got into an argument with Cal over it yesterday after he did it right in front of UK Bench and Cal screamed at him (Rightfully so).

Mintz is a player who is good role player off bench and off the ball. He's horrible when asked to play PG and only is accepted because of how disgusting Askew is at spot. He's not a good decision maker or passer.

Hickman is heady/smart and good shooter but he's routinely abused on defensive end and isn't a jet by any means.

Skyy Clark to this point has played around 15 games from Pandemic start to current day. He's played 1 tournament against his peer level (High Major D1) and was outplayed. Tweeting about BBN and posting workout videos don't prepare you for facing the level UK plays, specifically as a reclassified player. He should stay in '22 and it helps UK either way-he gets more experience and faces top competition and if that flops or he ducks it-you drop him and go with other guys at a position that is loaded in '22.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT