ADVERTISEMENT

What are our thoughts about next year?

Aug 7, 2004
I know a lot of it depends on who comebacks. I think our front court will be ok. Oscar should be great. Brooks should be back. Collins and Ware should round things out. Hickman will get a long look at PG or SG. Hopefully Mintz comes back. I think Allen leaves. Askew needs to play elsewhere in my opinion. So Guard play will be a problem again if we don’t get Clark or someone else in. Overall If we can get some guards we might be much improved.

Overall, it's going to be a disaster, we are UK and we have Cal, that means at minimum, we lose six players this year, more likely eight. He once again will have an unbalanced roster, we'll be very solid in the paint, though will be comprised by mostly transfers at the guard spots and will have an entirely new roster. I'm super excited about Oscar, Collins and seeing Toppin and a few others, though we aren't going to have a complete team. Next year the intensity to remove Cal is going to be on an epic scale!!!

To be blunt I think it depends on Askew. If he comes back and plays mins like he is now it’ll cost us. If he plays limited mins or leaves, we will be much better. He has deficiencies that cannot get much better. He’s slow. Not quick. Can’t pass. Can’t shoot. Bad decision maker. Gets panicky. He is an offense killer and offers nothing on defense.

I don’t think next year will be much better than this year other than our record will be better because the out of conference scheduled will have more wins in it. I look for Boston, Clark, Sarrr, Mintz & Brooks to move on to NBA/G league. Allen, Fletcher and perhaps Ware to transfer. Askew will again run the point and although we have solid talent coming in we don’t have elite talent coming in.

Reactions: CarolinaCatsFan
To be blunt I think it depends on Askew. If he comes back and plays mins like he is now it’ll cost us. If he plays limited mins or leaves, we will be much better. He has deficiencies that cannot get much better. He’s slow. Not quick. Can’t pass. Can’t shoot. Bad decision maker. Gets panicky. He is an offense killer and offers nothing on defense.
Says a whole lot about the talent evaluation going on at Kentucky.

I have a question about your thoughts on Askew. Aren’t we wanting Cal to recruit guys who stay 3 or 4 years, yet we want to run a guy out of town who hasn’t performed well as a Freshman. Just doesn’t make sense to me.

There's a difference between being a continuity type glue guy and being the one that the keys to the Ferrari are handed to. I don't mind askew staying but he needs to be a 5 to 10 minute type player. I doubt he can lead a team to the final four.

Sadly you are correct. The only skill I could see him improving is shooting. But then he’s what? Chris Harrison? Junior Braddy?

I know people are trying to use Devin to point out our double standards of One-and-Done lament. But he’s not Charles Matthews, Juzang or even Baker. He’s an EKU caliber talent.

If history repeats, we will return to prominence and be a top 10 team like we did the last time we went to the NIT. With all but a few players returning and then adding the key ingredients we were missing this year in an agressive interior player like Oscar and a true playmaker in Nolan and a reclassed Skyy, we should return to normal next year.

Sadly you are correct. The only skill I could see him improving is shooting. But then he’s what? Chris Harrison? Junior Braddy?

I know people are trying to use Devin to point out our double standards of One-and-Done lament. But he’s not Charles Matthews, Juzang or even Baker. He’s an EKU caliber talent.
Don’t know about EKU, but he would not get off the bench at WKU for sure and I don’t think he could beat out Harmon next year. Hopefully Hickman is legit and Askew play 10-15 minutes a game next year, I hope he’s prepared for that.

Reactions: westerncat
There's a difference between being a continuity type glue guy and being the one that the keys to the Ferrari are handed to. I don't mind askew staying but he needs to be a 5 to 10 minute type player. I doubt he can lead a team to the final four.
He’s a freshman! You all do realize that guys improve. Nick Richards was terrible as a freshman. Thank god he didn’t hit the road.

If history repeats, we will return to prominence and be a top 10 team like we did the last time we went to the NIT. With all but a few players returning and then adding the key ingredients we were missing this year in an agressive interior player like Oscar and a true playmaker in Nolan and a reclassed Skyy, we should return to normal next year.
[roll]

Return Mintz, Askew, Brooks, Toppin, Ware and Allen. Plus the three signees and one mid-season transfer, Oscar. Add one or two in the spring and we have a pretty good roster. If we don't have a repeat of 2020 covid restrictions and rules, they could be pretty damn good. Can't wait!

Given the recent good games by Mintz, he's gone, just bank on it. He's not coming back, look at the text he sent yesterday. Better yet, look at the Randolph Morris story, he made tens of millions playing in China, a guy like Mintz will easily get the same, if not better offer to play overseas. There are way too many opportunities for CBB players now, there's zero reason for them to remain.

We will be much better
First
Do not recruit anymore bigs for next year
Collins - Oscar - Ware is enough
Toppin - Brooks - Hopkins - Allen
Hickman -,Mintz -Askew
Look for Cal to add another point possibly a Clark reclassification
He will take at least 3 or 4 more players mostly upper class transfers because some of the guys above will not return because of transfers
This roster will use all available scholarships
Cal ain’t having another year like this I’m telling you

Reactions: sk73
We will schedule the sisters of the poor academy from each state for the first 10 games to make sure.

Why not? Plenty of other schools do it. We heard for several years from people how we wanted better matchups, largely because of the "I paid for these tickets!" folks. And I knew it was a bad idea from the start. Why are we trying to play the hardest schedule, especially if its a detriment to the type of teams Cal has?

I still think this team might have faired a little better, and maybe a lot better, if we had that joke schedule to start with, like many other top teams have.

I'm hoping we go back to that next year. I never want to see a schedule like we had this year again, idc who the coach is or how good we are. There's no trophy for having extra losses and the hardest schedule.

I haven’t followed the team this year but after reading all the comments i didn’t see anyone mention jackson. staying or going?

BAskew will not ever play in the NBA. He should go to a mid major he would be ok there. He isn’t fast our athletic and he Cant shoot. He also loves to dribble way too much.

I have a question about your thoughts on Askew. Aren’t we wanting Cal to recruit guys who stay 3 or 4 years, yet we want to run a guy out of town who hasn’t performed well as a Freshman. Just doesn’t make sense to me.
Askew was top ranked PG in his class, then he reclassified. He was a projected one and done. He has no intention of being a senior at UK

Reactions: ukgrad2004
Way too early to speculate on Askew's next few years here. He doesn't need to be a Wall type with speed..not to mention, quickness can still be developed and worked on.

You know what the hardest thing to change is? Your mentality. And he's fine in that department (even if he has the yips in late game scenarios). Im VERY excited to see what he can do in year 2 as starting PG. We've only had that twice, in Harrison and Hagans. And if Hagans just had a brain (or, good mentality) we probably have a Final 4 last year.

I don’t believe we’ll return more than 3-4 players. People are crazy if they think we’ll return more than that. I could see 5 max, but I doubt it. 2-3 players will transfer . Sarr will probably leave. Abs a few will go to the NBA. I see Mintz and Toppin coming back. Other than that, it’s up in the air. It’ll be a tough year unless we get a couple of stud transfers or Hickman is better than advertised. We need a pg

Reactions: Mr.Morris
Way too early to speculate on Askew's next few years here. He doesn't need to be a Wall type with speed..not to mention, quickness can still be developed and worked on.

You know what the hardest thing to change is? Your mentality. And he's fine in that department (even if he has the yips in late game scenarios). Im VERY excited to see what he can do in year 2 as starting PG. We've only had that twice, in Harrison and Hagans. And if Hagans just had a brain (or, good mentality) we probably have a Final 4 last year.
If Askew is our starting PG next season we are in serious trouble.

He’s a freshman! You all do realize that guys improve. Nick Richards was terrible as a freshman. Thank god he didn’t hit the road.
Agreed

Askew is a 6’3 PG who is just young. Let him lose 10 lbs while adding strength in off season. He can live in gym getting his shot down and Cal can coach up a PG to use his size better

if we had a Cade Cunningham type lines up I could see not caring as much if he left. But reality is we don’t and the thought of handing over the PG to Hickman is just asking for more of the same trouble and makes no sense

if he left we’d have 2-3 unused scholarships which is dumb. Askew isn’t a great PG but these claims he is an EKU level player even in 3 years away....is sort of ridiculous. Go look up the stats on EKU Pg ....it is a 5’11 kid shooting 38% FG and in the twenties from 3pt. Please stop with all the elite talent evaluation on this board

Last edited:
If Askew is our starting PG next season we are in serious trouble.

Thats not a given. Maybe he sucks, I guess I wouldn't be completely shocked if he still needs more time.

But an off-season for Askew, and a proper start to the season, could pay dividends.

Legit, half of his problems are freshman mistakes. He could never get a smidgen faster or quicker, but if he can just not commit dumb TOs and remain poised at the end of games (two things that come with reps) he could be a great player.

PGs dont HAVE to have John Wall or DeAaron Fox like speed.

Not sure. Was Epps that great especially as a freshman? Could a junior Askew have led the ‘96 squad? I think maybe. Or a senior Askew leading ‘97 team to FF? Again maybe.

We don’t know how he will develop. Be good if he stays IMO.

Reactions: ABlockalypseBrow
It will be the scheduling alone, he will schedule at least 10 cupcakes, it will be an OTS like approach, play VMI, High Point, etc., we'll have 20+ wins though the reality is we'll be a very inferior team overall and not a threat to really do anything.
Don’t believe OTS played really weak non-conference schedules.

Not sure. Was Epps that great especially as a freshman? Could a junior Askew have led the ‘96 squad? I think maybe. Or a senior Askew leading ‘97 team to FF? Again maybe.

We don’t know how he will develop. Be good if he stays IMO.

You just compared Anthony Epps to Devin Askew.

I will stop now as I'm laughing too much to continue.

Again. He’s a freshman. Why are people wanting to kick a freshman to the curb?

The problem is the track record of returning 5 star freshmen, regardless of how well they played.

Be interesting to see a chart that shows returnees, transfers and draftees...my guess is it's not good.

ADVERTISEMENT