ADVERTISEMENT

What are our thoughts about next year?

I will play. You are absolutely correct we want 3-4 year players zero doubt. Tell me one thing Askew does well? Shooting? Passing? Penetration ability? Makes smart decisions? Defend? I will stop and listen. The kid plays hard but i can give you 50 kids that play the point in ky high school ranks that do more than this this young man brings.
He’s a freshman. OP said he hopes he moves on, so I was replying to that post. How do you ever build depth when you want a player to move on if he’s disappointing his freshman year? Do you not think he can improve in those area?

I will play. You are absolutely correct we want 3-4 year players zero doubt. Tell me one thing Askew does well? Shooting? Passing? Penetration ability? Makes smart decisions? Defend? I will stop and listen. The kid plays hard but i can give you 50 kids that play the point in ky high school ranks that do more than this this young man brings.

I agree 100% with you and would add your description sadly fits what I feel about BJ Boston as an NBA prospect. What does he do well? Which is why we're talking about how things can hopefully get better or if they can and we've yet to go to SEC Tournament play.

Now is not the time to move the goal posts. This is one instance where we better recruit over a player or we'll continue to struggle.
Devin seems like a great kid but he is NOT qualified to start and play 25 mpg at UK. If he's willing to stick around work hard and play a back up role then I'm all in. Right now he doesn't have the quickness, shooting, or ability to finish at the rim you need in a PG.
I’m not moving the goal post. OP said he think he needs to move on. I agree 100% that he doesn’t deserve the minutes he’s getting this year. But what does that have to do with him improving over the next 3 years?

He’s a freshman. OP said he hopes he moves on, so I was replying to that post. How do you ever build depth when you want a player to move on if he’s disappointing his freshman year? Do you not think he can improve in those area?
Fair response absolutely but the young man needs a few of the qualities i mentioned, he brings none imo.
Let me give a few examples:
travis ford- slow/small but could flat shoot it, very cerebral/ strong with change of pace dribble
Epps-see above
Rjck Brunson/Colin Gillespie and more examples same as above.

Askew- unreal mixtape/strong AAU rep ZERO attributes outlined above. My opinion

Fair response absolutely but the young man needs a few of the qualities i mentioned, he brings none imo.
Let me give a few examples:
travis ford- slow/small but could flat shoot it, very cerebral/ strong with change of pace dribble
Epps-see above
Rjck Brunson/Colin Gillespie and more examples same as above.

Askew- unreal mixtape/strong AAU rep ZERO attributes outlined above. My opinion
I agree that he has to improve drastically. I feel like he probably suffered the most in terms of not being able to come in early, etc. I think he can make a decent leap in his career here (if he stays 4 years). Epps averaged 2ppg as a freshman, which was last on the team. He sat behind Ford on the 94 squad. The issue with Askew is he was thrown to the wolves when he is clearly not ready. But that doesn’t mean that he can’t be ready ahd can’t be a valuable player at UK down the line. These are the kind of guys that we have to have at our program to not have continued turnover. Guys that need to improve.

Don’t know about EKU, but he would not get off the bench at WKU for sure and I don’t think he could beat out Harmon next year. Hopefully Hickman is legit and Askew play 10-15 minutes a game next year, I hope he’s prepared for that.
Hickman is another 4* guard. 6' 2" bean pole. He is not a savior. Skyy isn’t either.

Cal needs to get Hardy and a proven transfer pg. If he can't reel in Hardy, then it is beyond time to stop with the one and done crap. Every big fish is evading him.

Askew was top ranked PG in his class, then he reclassified. He was a projected one and done. He has no intention of being a senior at UK
Yeah, but that must mean the 21 class is not very good. He was the 10th ranked player in the 21 class, but dropped to a 4* kid at #33 in the 20 class and seeing how he's struggling with the speed and size of college players, I believe his 21 ranking is accurate.

Devon is a 4 year kid that should never see starters minutes until at least his Junior year at a place like UK.

He cannot be the starter next year, he will not be ready.

Hopefully Cal gets a transfer pg in here.

Last edited:
I have a question about your thoughts on Askew. Aren’t we wanting Cal to recruit guys who stay 3 or 4 years, yet we want to run a guy out of town who hasn’t performed well as a Freshman. Just doesn’t make sense to me.
I think it's that we want a guy like Askew to not play 30+ minutes a game as a reclass freshman, resulting in a 8-14 record. We want him to train behind experienced upperclassmen, until he can handle it.

I have a question about your thoughts on Askew. Aren’t we wanting Cal to recruit guys who stay 3 or 4 years, yet we want to run a guy out of town who hasn’t performed well as a Freshman. Just doesn’t make sense to me.
the problem even with them under performing most will not return and cal would be disappointed if they did.

Return Mintz, Askew, Brooks, Toppin, Ware and Allen. Plus the three signees and one mid-season transfer, Oscar. Add one or two in the spring and we have a pretty good roster. If we don't have a repeat of 2020 covid restrictions and rules, they could be pretty damn good. Can't wait!
Yes covid.....that's been the problem all season.

It's not been a poorly constructed roster. It's not been depending a on a limited freshman PG. It's not been bizarre coaching moves and decisions in games. It's not been failing to hold leads and execute late in games.

Next year we will have choices at PG. I think we add another PG to go along with Hickman. The transfer portal will be full of players in one more month . I hope Askew stays. He may not get faster but he will gain needed confidence with more time. That doesnt mean that we will have him play big minutes. It just mean that he may become a solid player for us.
I think we have several returning, including Brooks. While the team will be much better, as of now I do not see that "go to guy". We have always had that guy, and in some years 2 or 3 of them. Maybe Hickman will have a SGA like impact. Maybe Oscar will be even better than advertised.

Reactions: ukfan041
Why not? Plenty of other schools do it. We heard for several years from people how we wanted better matchups, largely because of the "I paid for these tickets!" folks. And I knew it was a bad idea from the start. Why are we trying to play the hardest schedule, especially if its a detriment to the type of teams Cal has?

I still think this team might have faired a little better, and maybe a lot better, if we had that joke schedule to start with, like many other top teams have.

I'm hoping we go back to that next year. I never want to see a schedule like we had this year again, idc who the coach is or how good we are. There's no trophy for having extra losses and the hardest schedule.
Sarcasm right? Please let this be sarcasm.

Reactions: blubo

LOL, at some point, we need to learn our lesson right? He's a junior and is the 19th ranked kid in his class. He is another skinny beanpole.
The jump to college was hard for top 5 pg's like Wall, Knight, Fox and Andrew, I can't imagine a 19th ranked hs junior is going to have any success at all after skipping his senior year. Especially after seeing what we witnessed this year with Boston and Askew.

We need a legit experienced pg next year. Skyyyyyy is not the answer.

Last edited:
Who are the shooters, I mean, shot makers? If Mintz leaves, we still don‘t have any! Allen can shoot but he has to really work on his strength and conditioning to be a real factor Both offensively and defensively. I like his shot and he is still young so he has time on his side. Frontcourt should be fairly solid with Oscar, Ware, Toppin, and Collins. I think Brooks leaves, he flirted with leaving last year, even though he should not even consider doing so. Clark, Boston Jackson, and Sarr gone. Who transfers out? You could almost make a case for any player on the current roster to at least consider transferring. Do we get any shooters transferring in? Record will be better as Cal will load up a soft out of conference schedule to pad the win total. Our biggest problem is our head coach - his OAD philosophy and lack of coaching is wearing thin. He has not demonstrated that he wants a balanced roster. If we had one this year, Askew would not have been thrown to the wolves. I like this kid‘s attitude and I think he could be a very complimentary player if he stays. But would he accept that role and not transfer out should more talented guards enter the program? Not enough guards/wings that can shot and open up the floor as it now stands IMHO to be a much better team next year. Not an SEC title contender! But I hope that I am completely wrong!

I’m glad you can. I try. But continuing to trot Askew out there with it blatantly costing us wins really sours me. Some may say that’s not true. But it is. He’s cost us several games we couldn’t spare to lose.
I'm not as aggravated at him as I am the guy that keeps playing him.

Reactions: MbergCat and jedwar
I know a lot of it depends on who comebacks. I think our front court will be ok. Oscar should be great. Brooks should be back. Collins and Ware should round things out. Hickman will get a long look at PG or SG. Hopefully Mintz comes back. I think Allen leaves. Askew needs to play elsewhere in my opinion. So Guard play will be a problem again if we don’t get Clark or someone else in. Overall If we can get some guards we might be much improved.
I thought you wanted multi year players. Or was that just yesterday?

I thought you wanted multi year players. Or was that just yesterday?
Askew should stay and come off the bench.I doubt he will accept that after getting all the playing time while doing nothing this season.Playing time should be earned but he has done nothing to deserve it.

I'm not as aggravated at him as I am the guy that keeps playing him.
There isn’t exactly a bunch of PG’s just sitting around on the bench. Who you playing?

Askew is not what we thought he would be. But he’s who we got.

Sarcasm right? Please let this be sarcasm.

Nope. I dont really care to see some top5 matchup. I dont need Kentucky to give me some sort of "show". Maybe one or two, but thats what the tournament is for.

I want tournament success. And I dont believe that playing the hardest schedule is the best way to get there.

The SEC is still a top 6 or 7 conference which means, that alone, will give Kentucky a top100 schedule.. we sprinkle it with 3 or 4 solid OOC games, and the rest would ideally be games that aren't TOO easy, but ones never really in doubt.

I feel like my stance is never quite understood... I just want tournament success.. I really don't give a shit about anything else. And looking strictly at schedules, leaving everything aside, playing a top10 schedule is more of a detriment to the team than anything.

There isn’t exactly a bunch of PG’s just sitting around on the bench. Who you playing?

Askew is not what we thought he would be. But he’s who we got.
Who exactly should get the blame for that? The fans?

Nope. I dont really care to see some top5 matchup. I dont need Kentucky to give me some sort of "show". Maybe one or two, but thats what the tournament is for.

I want tournament success. And I dont believe that playing the hardest schedule is the best way to get there.

The SEC is still a top 6 or 7 conference which means, that alone, will give Kentucky a top100 schedule.. we sprinkle it with 3 or 4 solid OOC games, and the rest would ideally be games that aren't TOO easy, but ones never really in doubt.

I feel like my stance is never quite understood... I just want tournament success.. I really don't give a shit about anything else. And looking strictly at schedules, leaving everything aside, playing a top10 schedule is more of a detriment to the team than anything.
Never ever would I think UK fans would want a watered down schedule. UK, the top of the college basketball world, should play cupcakes up until the conference schedule? Well, sure seems Cal has you under his spell.
What's next, cancel playing UofL? Get out of the Champions classic and schedule a bunch of Transy like teams?
Bad mentality and a scared mentality if you ask me. UK should never be afraid to play anyone anywhere. They didn't used to be until a man from the north arrived.

Never ever would I think UK fans would want a watered down schedule. UK, the top of the college basketball world, should play cupcakes up until the conference schedule? Well, sure seems Cal has you under his spell.
What's next, cancel playing UofL? Get out of the Champions classic and schedule a bunch of Transy like teams?
Bad mentality and a scared mentality if you ask me. UK should never be afraid to play anyone anywhere. They didn't used to be until a man from the north arrived.

I could care less about the schedule. Again, I want tournament success. That's it. I'll agree with you on one thing, maybe Cal's young teams, and their propensity to lose early, makes me not want to play harder schedules in the early going.. sure.

But that's who we have at the moment. And as long as he's the coach? Yeah, I want gimme games while our team figures it out. I think it's bullshit that middling teams get to thump us while our players barely know their teammates.

..but even then.. Chris Beard, Jay Wright? I STILL don't want a top10 hardest SOS. IMO, I believe it does more harm than good. I think the sweet spot is in the 40's to 60's.

Cal. Now answer the question. Who you gonna play?
I would try Mintz or Boston. Is the current PG working? How long do you keep trying the same thing that isn't working? At 8-14, not much is working, so just doing the same thng over and over seems like a coach that doesn't have an answer or even trying to find one.

Reactions: kyjeff1
I could care less about the schedule. Again, I want tournament success. That's it. I'll agree with you on one thing, maybe Cal's young teams, and their propensity to lose early, makes me not want to play harder schedules in the early going.. sure.

But that's who we have at the moment. And as long as he's the coach? Yeah, I want gimme games while our team figures it out. I think it's bullshit that middling teams get to thump us while our players barely know their teammates.

..but even then.. Chris Beard, Jay Wright? I STILL don't want a top10 hardest SOS. IMO, I believe it does more harm than good. I think the sweet spot is in the 40's to 60's.
The problem is not the schedule hard or easy, it's the constant turn over of the roster that causes these problems. Cal wasn't afraid to play anyone When he had players like Wall, Cousins, AD, Towns, etc. The kicker to that is, he had had returning players and returning talented players to go with those elite freshman.
His best teams have returning experienced players. The years he doesn't have that turns into NIT teams and early tourney exits.

Cal whiffed on Cade
Cal in desperation talked a HS jr into reclassifying
Askew is clearly not ready
Mintz is not a pg
Boston is not a pg
Allen is not a pg
Fletcher is not a pg
#6 SOS
#347 in Luck
8 Ls by 7 pts or less
Injuries to 2 key players
Covid
The Mass Exodus from last yr

All this equals 8-14

Infact its nothing short of a miracle that we have won 8 games and are around #50 in KP and top #25 in D despite all that.

Give it a damn rest people and pull for your team!

Let the Madness Begin!!!

I would try Mintz or Boston. Is the current PG working? How long do you keep trying the same thing that isn't working? At 8-14, not much is working, so just doing the same thng over and over seems like a coach that doesn't have an answer or even trying to find one.
Mintz plays point at times.....askew is still in the game because we don’t have any more guards. You seriously want to play Boston at PG? He would have 15 turnovers by halftime man.

We got what we got. The damage was already done last off season when Cal constructed a really bad roster. Then Clarke goes down and fletcher is a head case. It’s a shit show. It’s pointless to dwell on what Cal is doing wrong now game to game because the roster is what it is. It’s best to hope for an exciting SEC tournament and then on to next season. Huge off season coming up

Cal whiffed on Cade
Mintz is not a pg
Boston is not a pg
Allen is not a pg
Fletcher is not a pg
#6 SOS
#347 in Luck
8 Ls by 7 pts or less
Covid

All this equals 8-14

Infact its nothing short of a miracle that we have won 8 games and are around #50 in KP and top #25 in D despite all that.

Let the Madness Begin!!!
Right on. Too much crying over spilled milk. What’s done is done. I cleared all the stages of grief shortly after New Years.

I know a lot of it depends on who comebacks. I think our front court will be ok. Oscar should be great. Brooks should be back. Collins and Ware should round things out. Hickman will get a long look at PG or SG. Hopefully Mintz comes back. I think Allen leaves. Askew needs to play elsewhere in my opinion. So Guard play will be a problem again if we don’t get Clark or someone else in. Overall If we can get some guards we might be much improved.
Unless Cal changes some things on offense etc, maybe win 20 + games and lose in the second round.

Cal whiffed on Cade
Mintz is not a pg
Boston is not a pg
Allen is not a pg
Fletcher is not a pg
#6 SOS
#347 in Luck
8 Ls by 7 pts or less
Covid

All this equals 8-14

Let the Madness Begin!!!
All of bbn is rife with madness along with the rest of our country. 🙄

Completely unknown. There’s absolutely no reason to have any semblance of an opinion on next season when we don’t have a clue who will even be on the team.

Reactions: chroix
ADVERTISEMENT