ADVERTISEMENT

We need pre-back injury Tre Mitchell for this tournament

IL Wildcat

Feb 20, 2003
Southern IL
I know some of you have pretty much given up on Tre Mitchell contributing very much to the team at this point, but when Mitchell was playing well early in the season, we actually had contributions from our bigs. He was guarding guys who were much bigger than him and holding his own, in my opinion. He's the only guy we have who has shown he can score with his back to the basket. He was also doing very well in the mid-range, catching the ball in the middle of the zone and making shots at the elbow and in the lane. And early in the year, he was playing that stretch 4 or 5 and making bank out there shooting the 3. We need THAT version of Mitchell in this tournament if we're going to go very far. He has struggled shooting the ball since late January. But he's had time to heal and get back into the groove now. I hope he will make an appearance. I think we will need Mitchell before all is said and done.

I know some of you have pretty much given up on Tre Mitchell contributing very much to the team at this point, but when Mitchell was playing well early in the season, we actually had contributions from our bigs. He was guarding guys who were much bigger than him and holding his own, in my opinion. He's the only guy we have who has shown he can score with his back to the basket. He was also doing very well in the mid-range, catching the ball in the middle of the zone and making shots at the elbow and in the lane. And early in the year, he was playing that stretch 4 or 5 and making bank out there shooting the 3. We need THAT version of Mitchell in this tournament if we're going to go very far. He has struggled shooting the ball since late January. But he's had time to heal and get back into the groove now. I hope he will make an appearance. I think we will need Mitchell before all is said and done.
Pilgrim spoke about Mitchell in his Sources Say yesterday. I think he said he was either really close to fully recovering from the back injury or at least fully getting back into game shape. Either way, he wasn't sure if we would see the old Tre against Oakland but thought we would at least in the next couple of games (if we get that far). But, agreed, would be really nice to have old Tre back.

I think he might surprise us. That's the thing with Seniors in the tourney - this is truly their last shot. I used to always pick senior-heavy teams to go far in my brackets for that reason.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
Pilgrim spoke about Mitchell in his Sources Say yesterday. I think he said he was either really close to fully recovering from the back injury or at least fully getting back into game shape. Either way, he wasn't sure if we would see the old Tre against Oakland but thought we would at least in the next couple of games (if we get that far). But, agreed, would be really nice to have old Tre back.
I will say this- he was 3-3 for 6pts and had 9 rebounds against Texas A&M in 21 minutes. Picked up 5 fouls on some phantom calls from our gambling referee. That's certainly not the best line (9 rebounds is the highest total any big man has had for us in a while), but it maybe a sign of things to come. I hope so. It would be huge for the team.

Not saying it’s good thing or bad but Trey hasn’t been the same player since we got our 3 big men back.

I didn't know we had a time machine. We should also go back and redo some other things.

I agree Mitchell has looked slow and not quite right since his return.

But there's something to be said for rock-steady senior leadership in the tourney.

if he can get into the middle of the zone against Oakland and hit some foul-line jumpers, he could gain some confidence that could bring him back toward early-season Mitchell for the stretch run.

Once again, it’s our stupid coach. He utilized him correctly when he looked good. He was a pick and pop 5. Now fat wop Cal is trying to force a square peg into a round hole and play him alongside ugo and Z.

Tre Mitchell sucks and should not be playing. He is the laziest player, by far, on the court. Please tell me you saw his sad attempt defensively and trying to contest shots against TAMU. The guy is a joke and should not be on the court. The fact that we have fans still advocating for him to play is ridiculous. He is not good.

Also, you are the same guy last year who was all about flippin Sahvir Wheeler playing point over Cason Wallace. You defended that until you were blue in the face, even though anybody who know anything about basketball knew Wheeler should be coming off the bench sparingly, and playing no more then 5 min a game. You were proven to be 100% wrong on that take.

It is the exact same with Tre. He is a detriment to the team when he plays. If you get your way, you will find that out the hard way, unfortunately.
Hope you don’t run into him in a dark hallway.

Reactions: TexKat
He scored 7 and led us in rebounding (9) in the A&M game. That kind of "poor play"?

I did like his rebounding that game. But you're lying if you think he didn't look lost and slow out there.

Let's hope the week off helps him. I'll tell yah this, for someone like Tre, it's probably a good thing he didn't go all 3 games in the SECT

I actually think he could be huge in our game against Oakland based on what I’ve been seeing/hearing about them. After that, I feel like we’re going to be Better if he gets spot minutes

Reactions: Kybluedude
We do, but we also need to sit him if he's NOT back to being healthy. Ideally, we have a healthy Tre playing well for us, but if not, then I'd rather he not play, than play injured and hurt us with his recent poor play.
I feel like he gets the first game to show he can do anything, something and if he can't then I wouldn't bother with him unless we have foul trouble.

I feel like he gets the first game to show he can do anything, something and if he can't then I wouldn't bother with him unless we have foul trouble.

He did not play poorly against a and m. He sure isn't one of the reasons UK lost.

UK played its best basketball this year, without a doubt, when Tre Mitchell was in street clothes or playing little to no minutes.

It is not a coincidence the first game Tre plays meaningful minutes, UK looks stagnant offensively, and even worse defensively, especially at the rim.

Mitchell provides nothing defensively, as he is the laziest guy on the court. He is super slow, can't move his feet, and provides no shot blocking presence whatsoever. He was a disaster against TAMU.

If he isn't hitting the pick and pop 3 (which he hasn't in months), he has no business being on the court. UK is better without him, and that is a fact.

The fact that fans are still enamored with Tre is completely mind boggling.
I don't think you realize just how a back injury can affect someone playing CBB or any sports. I agree with IL Wildcat as we need the old Mitchell back as he helped this team a lot. If he is over this back injury he can help a lot.

IMO, having a Tre Mitchell healthy is an advantage!!!!

Not exactly sure when injury first occurred, I thought he tweaked his back in Arkansas 2nd half........

From Dec 21 thru January 27:
14.1-pts
9.3-rbs
2.8-ast
1.2-blk
33.4-min
(7-W/ 2-L)

From Jan 31 thru Mar 15:
3.0-pts
5.0-rbs
1.0-ast
0.3-blk
23.4-min
(4-W/ 3-L)

It's just MATH!!!

Reactions: IL Wildcat

Not exactly sure when injury first occurred, I thought he tweaked his back in Arkansas 2nd half........

14.1-pts
9.3-rbs
2.8-ast
1.2-blk
33.4-min
(7-W/ 2-L)

From Jan 31 thru Mar 15:
3.0-pts
5.0-rbs
1.0-ast
0.3-blk
23.4-min
(4-W/ 3-L)

It's just MATH!!!
It's not just the pure stats though, he is actively hurting the team with his play lately. You have to consider though, the first set of stats you have there were against mostly chaff teams.

Reactions: FltDoc

14.1-pts
9.3-rbs
2.8-ast
1.2-blk
33.4-min
(7-W/ 2-L)

From Jan 31 thru Mar 15:
3.0-pts
5.0-rbs
1.0-ast
0.3-blk
23.4-min
(4-W/ 3-L)

It's just MATH!!!
I used to get neck spasms regularly. I walked like a man auditioning to be a mad scientist's underling. I understand that back spasms and back pain get your attention like little else. Maybe burns, childbirth, and kidney stones.

You'd hope that people who had even once simply heard of severe pain would be a bit more understanding. The kind of insulting things said of Mitchell here are beyond alarming and well into saddening.

He's lost his shooting touch...and mentally as well as a 1/2 step off from the flow of the game (making mistakes)

Limited minutes going forward unless he can get his "mojo" back (shooting).

I actually think he could be huge in our game against Oakland based on what I’ve been seeing/hearing about them. After that, I feel like we’re going to be Better if he gets spot minutes
I don’t care if he is huge against Oakland. He doesn’t have to be. We have enough gunpowder to get this team out of the way. He needs to be huge when it matters. I can’t believe anyone thinks Oakland matters. I’m not trying to pick apart your opinion, just really surprised that the first round even matters for UK. We used to be better than debating a first round opponent. I used to be looking a the Sweet 16 before the tournament started. It doesn’t seem so much anymore. If he doesn’t shine, bring in the next one to win in the first 20 minutes and demoralize someone and make the rest scared. Mitchelle shouldn’t be debatable although I hope he kills it.

You're wrong on this one. Tre has contributed significantly this season. Yes, he hasn't been the same since being injured. No, it's not laziness. Texas A&M was filled with difficult matchups for Tre. You're apparently unable to give credit where it's due. Earlier in the season, there were multiple games we either don't win or we struggle to win without his contributions. If you can't admit that, you're not even worth arguing because you're clueless.

And I didn't say Tre Mitchell is the most important player or even that he is the key to the team. Reading comprehension is your friend. I said we need the earlier version of him before his back got injured. That version of him gives us a couple things we have struggled with as a team.

1. Defending back to the basket centers with some strength.
2. Providing mid-range shooting in the lane.
3. Providing a stretch 4 or 5
4. Rebounding.

If Tre is healthy, he can contribute in all these ways. As for your comments on Wheeler, he is not Tre Mitchell. Totally different players, different positions on the floor, and if you can't decipher that, well, we're done here. No sense in attempting to argue anything with someone who doesn't even know the game.

By the way, you offered ZERO evidence for your position on Tre and you offered ZERO answers for the evidence I gave. Game. Set. Match.
Respect your opinion often but we figured a better way without him. His play has become an interference since early season when we needed older leadership. He has regressed while others moved forward.

14.1-pts
9.3-rbs
2.8-ast
1.2-blk
33.4-min
(7-W/ 2-L)

From Jan 31 thru Mar 15:
3.0-pts
5.0-rbs
1.0-ast
0.3-blk
23.4-min
(4-W/ 3-L)

It's just MATH!!!
There it is. Clear as the nose on your face. IF he is healthy, he can help the team. His numbers prove it.

Reactions: crestcat and ib4ky
Cats have struggled with Cal trying to get him back in form

AB, Z, Ugo now available.

It will cost UK if he plays and still struggles

Respect your opinion often but we figured a better way without him. His play has become an interference since early season when we needed older leadership. He has regressed while others moved forward.
I appreciate the kind and respectful response Snoke. I don't think we've seen him regress. I think we saw him get injured and become limited in his mobility and athleticism due to back issues, which can be debilitating. His 9 rebounds (which led the team) against Texas A&M is a positive sign that he's moving in the right direction.

Cats have struggled with Cal trying to get him back in form

AB, Z, Ugo now available.

It will cost UK if he plays and still struggles
I agree with this. And it will be clear if he's back into form in practices this week and very quickly in the game.

I actually think he can be a big help in this first game on Thursday. We'll see.

I’ve had my fingers and toes crossed for a while that he regains his early form. Still hopeful.

Others have obviously disagreed but I thought he showed good signs in the A&M game for the first time since returning. He was coming up with 50/50 balls, finishing around the rim, and grabbing rebounds. Some fouls against him were a fluke.

We have 3 players that we’re confident in what we’re going to get. The DJ, JE, Adou, Tre, Z, and to a much lesser extent AB group has to produce moving forward. None of those guys being guaranteed to be better than who they match up with beyond the first game is a very scary proposition.

I appreciate the kind and respectful response Snoke. I don't think we've seen him regress. I think we saw him get injured and become limited in his mobility and athleticism due to back issues, which can be debilitating. His 9 rebounds (which led the team) against Texas A&M is a positive sign that he's moving in the right direction.

I hope you are right, especially that I think he could be a “dagger” in a couple games from now. The problem is, do you put your faith in an anomaly of the T A&M games where it was obvious the officials were an interference to normal play, which led to more Mitchelle more playing more than those who got better? I doubt it. He might be important, later, but I sure don’t want to plant the next six games on his production. We do… We loose. I’ll eat all the “crow” coming if he does. Please prove me wrong Tre’ if you can hear this. I’ll be watching. I really am rooting for you. Truly!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT