ADVERTISEMENT

Re-watched first few minutes of A & M-some observations

uk78

All-American
Feb 6, 2003
First, people saying we came out and there was no energy is total nonsense. In fact, it looked on offense our team on the floor just expected shots to go in right away without any patience. But, it was bad passing an honestly Edwards that put us in a hole. First shot by him a 3 miss. A minute later he has a baseline look, then instead decides to drive, and then instead decides to throw a pass to D.J on the other baseline that was picked off. In the meantime, A and M, does one pass and hits their first 3, then a dribble down the court and top of the key 3. Notice something? They were aggressive and not turning the ball over right from the start. Quickly we are in deficit of 8 to 1. We do come back but then Cal pairs Mitchell and Z. I loved Mitchell early in the season but if he can't be that guy because of injury there was no reason to take out Theiro. Dillingham early on also started his tendency to decide he is going to show the opposing guard who is better and moves away from team play. But, Cal evidently doesn't instruct individual players during the game on something not to do...ever. In any event, while A & M constantly drives for lay-ups we are passing the ball around and turning it over or taking some bad shots.

I watched Oakland and they have one awesome 3 point shooter. Given our lack of defense expect that guy to hit a ton. We have to take 3's and be the aggressor but with the right players taking the majority of them. Oakland also does a lot of back door cuts and Ugo may have to stay downlow versus face guarding his man if out on the perimeter. Why we never do this is beyond understanding to me. Cal's switching man to man simply doesn't work.

Their one guy Jack Gohlke attempts around 10 threes per game (327 attempts this year!), hitting around 3.5 of those on average. His biggest output this year was 10 made threes (15 attempts) against IUPUI, then 8 against Milwaukee (18 attempts), once with 7 (7/20), a couple of 6 three games, and then several average 0-3 per game from there. It's most important to note that this kid shoots nearly 100% of his shots from the perimeter. Only a handful of games this year did he attempt a two pointer (and I'd wager they may have been "foot on the line" long 2s).

In other words, our guards need to stick to this kid's jersey all over the court because he's going to shoot it any time there's even breathing room.

While he's the main threat, there are two others that live and die by the three, almost as much as Jack. Blake Lampman - of his 282 total FGAs, 225 were from the perimeter (hitting 83 for around the same % as Jack at 37%). Then there's DQ Cole at 122/234 shots being threes, hitting 43 for 35%.

Last edited:
Our inability to score early showed we need our best on the floor from the start.

We gave AM confidence from the tip with our inability to handle the ball and score. They forced us into a panicky timeout and it affected our younger players. We were playing catch-up.

Damn if we didn’t do anything different defensively from the game in Jan and let those 2 guards smoke us again.

If only we started our best lineup, maybe that would help! But, no Cal has to give “his guys” the nod.

Those 3 guys need to be picked up 10 feet outside the three point line and not backed off of. It will be interesting to see how their offensive sets are. Will they run those guys off of screens, do they create their own shots, is there a lot of motion or set plays? If you have a player who is a great shooter but isn't very athletic to be able to create his own shot you have to run screens, picks, or set plays to get him open. Oakland's coach has been coaching for a long time. It will be interesting to see how well he coaches.

If he isn't watching game tape then how the hell will he know? He won't and if they are hot we will go home.

I can't believe I am even writing this about game tape

Reactions: rivercatinfl
Their one guy Jack Gohlke attempts around 10 threes per game (327 attempts this year!), hitting around 3.5 of those on average. His biggest output this year was 10 made threes (15 attempts) against IUPUP, then 8 against Milwaukee (18 attempts), once with 7 (7/20), a coupel of t-three games, and then average 0-3 per game from there. It's most important to note that this kid shoots nearly 100% of his shots from the perimeter. Only a handful of games this year did he attempt a two pointer (and I'd wager they may have been "foot on the line" long 2s).

In other words, our guards need to stick to this kid's jersey all over the court because he's going to shoot it any time there's even breathing room.

While he's the main threat, there are two others that live and die by the three, almost as much as Jack. Blake Lampman - of his 282 total FGAs, 225 were from the perimeter (hitting 83 for around the same % as Jack at 37%). Then there's DQ Cole at 122/234 shots being threes, hitting 43 for 35%.
Please send this report to Cal as he reportedly doesn’t watch film on the upcoming opponent. BTW, good analysis!

Reactions: TheDude73
Please send this report to Cal as he reportedly doesn’t watch film on the upcoming opponent. BTW, good analysis!
I've heard about this supposed story of Cal saying he does not watch any upcoming opponent video with his team, but later it was noted that there was more to his comment than just that one sentence. He actually said that the reviewing future opponent video and game planning is assigned to his assistants, upon which time he'll meet with them to discuss what they saw and observed, then talk strategy and a game plan, with contingencies. He specifically himself does not sit there with the team and assistants and grind through tape, but rather relies on his staff to do that and then report back as they work together on a strategy. At least this was how it was explained to me from someone I know in Kentucky sports media who was physically there when Cal made this statement.

I know Cal says some wacky, condescending and occasionally idiotic things sometimes, but in this case what he said was taken far out of context, likely on purpose, and has unfortunately lived on in little pokes and prods here on Rafters or in tweets.

Reactions: davtay
I've heard about this supposed story of Cal saying he does not watch any upcoming opponent video with his team, but later it was noted that there was more to his comment than just that one sentence. He actually said that the reviewing future opponent video and game planning is assigned to his assistants, upon which time he'll meet with them to discuss what they saw and observed, then talk strategy and a game plan, with contingencies. He specifically himself does not sit there with the team and assistants and grind through tape, but rather relies on his staff to do that and then report back as they work together on a strategy. At least this was how it was explained to me from someone I know in Kentucky sports media who was physically there when Cal made this statement.

I know Cal says some wacky, condescending and occasionally idiotic things sometimes, but in this case what he said was taken far out of context, likely on purpose, and has unfortunately lived on in little pokes and prods here on Rafters or in tweets.
If he has inept assistants then this might not be a good thing and could be what the problem is, especially if he gives that responsibility to them.

If he has inept assistants then this might not be a good thing and could be what the problem is, especially if he gives that responsibility to them.
Honestly I don't know much about the skillsets of any of the coaches. I've heard that Flint, Chin, Antigua, and Welsh are supposedly good coaches, but how do we know what part of the team on the floor comes from their support? I think we can all agree that when it comes to starting lineups, Cal owns that and refuses to give in, and we all have a pretty good reason why (hint - for once it's not ego or being a know it all, it's because he made commitments to some people and is stuck because he's a dumbass pushover when it comes to players' families and handlers).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT