ADVERTISEMENT

Time to cut back on the rotations

Wildcats1st

All-American
Sep 16, 2017
Thiero needs to play 30 min a game. Maybe 10 for Mitchell. He is a defensive liability. Our team falls apart, disconnected defensively when he’s on the floor. I’m thankful he was willing to play center to start the year but he is not the difference maker we need at the 4. I would get Thiero 30 and edwards 10 leave Mitchell on the bench unless there’s foul trouble. We can’t play like this and win in the ncaaT. We couldn’t get the train rolling until Mitchell went out then we tightened the defense. Looks like Z needs the brunt of the minutes at the 5 with ugo and Bradshaw offering 10 fouls between them. We have to fix the defense. We aren’t going to be successful going down 10 every game. If pitino had this team we would have 2 losses and the best team in the country. Instead we go down every game then expend energy coming back and it all boils down to our awful defense.

Thiero needs to play 30 min a game. Maybe 10 for Mitchell. He is a defensive liability. Our team falls apart, disconnected defensively when he’s on the floor. I’m thankful he was willing to play center to start the year but he is not the difference maker we need at the 4. I would get Thiero 30 and edwards 10 leave Mitchell on the bench unless there’s foul trouble. We can’t play like this and win in the ncaaT. We couldn’t get the train rolling until Mitchell went out then we tightened the defense. Looks like Z needs the brunt of the minutes at the 5 with ugo and Bradshaw offering 10 fouls between them. We have to fix the defense. We aren’t going to be successful going down 10 every game. If pitino had this team we would have 2 losses and the best team in the country. Instead we go down every game then expend energy coming back and it all boils down to our awful defense.

Pitino couldn't recruit this team. That's always one of the dumbest things to read on here.

There's also 0 chance Mitchell doesn't play some.

Cal showed he is comfortable with all 5 being frosh down the stretch though.

We aren't winning anything important again anyways as long as cal is the coach IMO. Will hope to be proven wrong.

Reactions: Rockfly78
Mitchell seems to be a nice young man, but he doesn't bring a lot to the table anymore. The game appears too fast for him. I just don't see anything that he does very well. He used to be good with the 3, but he hasn't shown that ability since last year. The fact that he plays below the rim doesn't help either.

Reactions: mattrudd and chroix
Mitchell seems to be a nice young man, but he doesn't bring a lot to the table anymore. The game appears too fast for him. I just don't see anything that he does very well. He used to be good with the 3, but he hasn't shown that ability since last year. The fact that he plays below the rim doesn't help either.

Below the rim centers with Cal as the coach does not produce good results.

Hilarious...everyone hated Edward's on here and wanted him stuffed at the end of the bench earlier.

What's the next great decision, coach?

Has there been a Sheppard needs to play more thread yet, even tho he's avg 35 mins a game, the most on the team
If you missed 2/3 of the season where Edwards literally sucked, then I'm sorry for you. Because he did, and he deserved to be on that bench.

I'm glad he's broken out and is contributing now, but don't act like people didn't have good cause to believe Edwards should have ridden the pine. You can't play the hindsight bias card, either, my friend.

It's very encouraging that Cal is going with the Nuclear Five lineup (or some variant of it) when things get tough. He's gone with that lineup the last few games when we entered winning time. I'm telling you, if he unleashes them in the tournament we're winning #9
They have the goods, that’s for sure. Defense likely will trip them but someone is going to have to put up 90+ to put us down in the tourney.

Mitchell played 16 minutes today. Take 10 of those and feed them to Theiro/Edwards.
Especially today; first game back from injury after a 4 game absence. Should've gone into the game only planning to allow him to get his feet wet and see how he went. It was obvious early that he was a step behind and costing us points on both ends of the floor. He should've been done for the day at that point.

Especially today; first game back from injury after a 4 game absence. Should've gone into the game only planning to allow him to get his feet wet and see how he went. It was obvious early that he was a step behind and costing us points on both ends of the floor. He should've been done for the day at that point.

Yep

30 minutes for Thiero is way too many.
Agree. Thiero brings some good things to the floor, but he’s at his best with less minutes.

First, we are better with 3 guards in the game. That leaves Thiero, Edwards, and Mitchell competing for the other position. I suspect Edwards will get more of these mins as we head into the home stretch. However, he must rebound strong, which Thiero can do in traffic. Mitchell will get fewer minutes going forward.

Good luck pinning down the rotations after this game

Sure, Tre probably needs to come off the bench for just 10-12 minutes. But how do you pick the other 8? We have 3 centers who all can go off, and all can have bad games. We have a PG who is starting to make shots, but still erratic. Thiero needs minutes.. but over Edwards? Do we play them both? Ok, cool, so then which two of DJ/Shep/Reeves/Dilly is on the bench?

I feel like this game did nothing but make it even more murky. And the one guy we thought was our most steady piece (Shep) looked like he was out doing shots and getting lapdances until 5:30am last night.

Go with the hot hand is my guess. See who is working their matchups and who isn't. I can't pick who in our top8 should get starters minutes, maybe aside from Shep and Reeves.

If you missed 2/3 of the season where Edwards literally sucked, then I'm sorry for you. Because he did, and he deserved to be on that bench.

I'm glad he's broken out and is contributing now, but don't act like people didn't have good cause to believe Edwards should have ridden the pine. You can't play the hindsight bias card, either, my friend.
Yes it is very good to see Edwards playing much better but he was unplayable there for awhile (but yet still playing). Took two no, no, no, no, good shots today in the last 2 minutes, especially the 3 he drilled early in the shot clock with about 1:10 left up by 6.

Pitino couldn't recruit this team. That's always one of the dumbest things to read on here.

There's also 0 chance Mitchell doesn't play some.

Cal showed he is comfortable with all 5 being frosh down the stretch though.

We aren't winning anything important again anyways as long as cal is the coach IMO. Will hope to be proven wrong.
96 & 97 teams run this bunch off the court.

I’m ok with playing a lot of guys and mix and matching, but if we are gonna do that we need to start the actual best players, 3 guard lineup: Reed, Dilly, Reeves, Adou, Z. The adjust as the game goes.

I think Cal is just making it up as he goes along and figuring it out on the fly game to game possession to possession. He almost has to do that given how poorly they play D. Reeves didn’t play the last 7 minutes did he?
Basketball has always and will always be a game of continuity. Cal has brought this upon himself by his constant lineup shuffling he hasn’t allowed a “main lineup” to gel this late in the season. Basketball isn’t rocket science….you have a playing rotation of 8 with 9 and 10 in case of foul trouble. You SHOULD start your best players and play them the most minutes together. But our coaches are too worried about hurt feelings and helping save some guys draft stock.

Wirh 6 minutes left Z went in the game. We were down 8 and it changed the tide. He gives us offense and our best defense at the five. Like some were saying earlier in the season Ugo now looks like the one who's lost when he's out there. Bradshaw had a solid offensive game, but he's a liability on defense. Big Z is the difference.

Mitchell needs to play less minutes to keep him healthy.

He’s been playing hurt for a while, which is why he has looked so bad recently.

Cal needs to keep his minutes down, we don’t need him playing 35 minutes a game.

Yes it is very good to see Edwards playing much better but he was unplayable there for awhile (but yet still playing). Took two no, no, no, no, good shots today in the last 2 minutes, especially the 3 he drilled early in the shot clock with about 1:10 left up by 6.
If Edwards had missed that three and we had lost the game, we’d be badmouthing him. I’m glad he made it, but was not a good decision.

Wait, you aren't talking about Edwards this time?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT