ADVERTISEMENT

Some Things About The TENN Game of Note

Tampa_cat54

Senior
Apr 22, 2011
Obviously losing by 11 on our home floor wasn't ideal. But they also caught us at a bad time.

1. We didn't have DJ Wagner for that game.
- Would Zeigler have dropped 26 on us if Wagner had played?
- Would Rob & Reed have run out of steam at the end like they did if Wagner was in the rotation as well?

2. We didn't have Big Z either
- We all know we are a different team at this point with him on the floor.

3. Tre Mitchell was AWFUL in this game.
- I mean truly, he was so bad. Hope Thiero/Edwards play the bulk of the minutes at the 4
- Josiah Jordan-James also dropped 26, and so much of that was Mitchell, and Mitchell also butchered every single ball screen coverage so they torched us all night with that.

4. Our substitution pattern was ALL OVER THE PLACE
- This has been cleaned up big time in the last month

5. We have won 3 of the last 4 games in Knoxville

6. A combined 52 points from Zeigler and JJJ was the back-breaker

- Think we'll be a lot more locked in this time on this and think Thiero gets a lot more run at the 4 spot to match JJJ.

And perhaps most importantly...

7. For the FIRST TIME this season, we are playing a team that has beaten us earlier in the year- REVENGE FACTOR
- So for the first time, we will get to see these Cats with revenge on their minds after getting embarrassed- how do they respond? Do they play pissed off?

At the end of the day, NO, I don't think we win this game, BUT I expect this game to be very different from the last one, and it seems no one is talking about the circumstances around the first one as well.

I think Barnes will take it easy on Cal and the TN players aren’t going to give full effort. They just won back to back tough road games and sealed up the SEC regular season championship.

We‘re getting them at the perfect time and I think we win the game.

Had they dropped a game and needed a win over us it would be a different story!

I think Barnes will take it easy on Cal and the TN players aren’t going to give full effort. They just won back to back tough road games and sealed up the SEC regular season championship.

They are fighting for a #1 seed. Don't fool yourself as they will be locked in. They may have more to play for than us in the fact that is this their first # 1 Seed in the NCAA Tourney?

You truly think Barnes will take it easy on Cal and the players will not try hard to win? Do you really think this? Or are you laying ground work for an excuse if we do pull it out? Just seems very odd that you would believe this. Senior Day. Playing for a 1 seed. Versus Kentucky. I think they’ll want to beat the shit out of us.

I'm worried Z .may not move the needle much against a physically imposing team like UT. Hope he shows out.

I worry the same but he also made a huge impact @ Miss State, against arguably the most physical 5 man in the league (Tolu Smith)- even if it didn't always show up on the box score, he made a huge difference in that game and slowed Tolu down after a hot start.

I think I read that Tolu only scored 4 points when guarded by Z and was like 2-7 from the floor against him.

This game would not surprise me either way. Though I expect UT to win. I do not think the scores will be the same. Thinking something like UT 81-UK 75. Definitely not over 190 points combined. Flip side of JJJ going off, Knecht only had 17 I believe. Maybe it would have been better if he had went for 30, took the ball out of Zeigler and JJJ hands and they would not have done as much damage. Addition by subtraction and those kinds of things. Give Knecht more, JJJ and Zeigler less. Say maybe 15 each and not the combined 52.

I have a weird feeling we are gonna win this game. Look for us to play similar to the way we did at Auburn. Not the same game plan, obviously, but with that same type of intensity. Go Cats!

Edit: Not to mention, no way Tennessee shoots that well again as a team, overall. They hit everything they threw up that night.

Huh?

• Haha
Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Obviously losing by 11 on our home floor wasn't ideal. But they also caught us at a bad time.

- Would Rob & Reed have run out of steam at the end like they did if Wagner was in the rotation as well?

- I mean truly, he was so bad. Hope Thiero/Edwards play the bulk of the minutes at the 4
- Josiah Jordan-James also dropped 26, and so much of that was Mitchell, and Mitchell also butchered every single ball screen coverage so they torched us all night with that.

- Think we'll be a lot more locked in this time on this and think Thiero gets a lot more run at the 4 spot to match JJJ.

7. For the FIRST TIME this season, we are playing a team that has beaten us earlier in the year- REVENGE FACTOR
- So for the first time, we will get to see these Cats with revenge on their minds after getting embarrassed- how do they respond? Do they play pissed off?

At the end of the day, NO, I don't think we win this game, BUT I expect this game to be very different from the last one, and it seems no one is talking about the circumstances around the first one as well.
I sure hope you are correct as I really dislike UT !.

That was also the last game Tre Mitchell played before he sat out because of back issues. I wouldn't surprised to know that Mitchell's back was causing him problems in this game.

There were multiple issues for UK in that game and those are all gone. Tennessee was the underdog in that one and came in playing hungry and took it straight at UK. The Cats never were in that game. But the tables are turned in many ways this time around. Every time folks are saying this UK team has no chance, they come out firing on all cylinders. But the game is in Knoxville and I'm sure Tennessee will be ready. I guess we'll see what happens.

This game is yuge. We win, SEC regular season runner-up. Lose, and we probably finish 5th. Yuge ass seeding possibilities here with a win.

I'm hoping TN will have a bit of a hangover from the killer schedule they have been playing as well as locking up the SEC championship. A team can only get sky high for a limited number of games, well at least that's my hope
Can't see UT have a hangover playing UK....now Missouri or Vandy, yes, but not UK.

#8, they got home cooking at Rupp. We had 24 fouls called against us and they shot 26 free throws.

Reactions: CGblue

That a great breakdown and all true but it all comes down to one basic thing to me and that is how we handle the physical pressure or what I call resistance. Dont expect us to look good on offense and that's okay, we're not going to get the space we like where get to run our normal flow and look like a machine. But can we grind through it against the pressure and still score enough and can we play phyisical enough on defense ourselves to make this a game.

I think we do come out that way because Cal knows thats going to be the case and we learned at Auburn how what that does for us when we dont shrink and give in to it. Barnes knows that will be our MO as well and they will ramp it up too, so I"m looking for big time brutal war where we may see a ton of fouls and 70 free throws from both sides.

The Ernie&Bernie Show was better, I think. Bernard King was the best 8 ft shooter I've ever seen.
Yeah. I disagree that this is the “best” UT team ever. I just don’t see it. They’re damn good, don’t get me wrong. Just don’t view this team as world beaters. Wouldn’t be at all surprised to see UK win this one and also go further in the SEC and NCAA Tournaments.

Reactions: RunninRichie
That was also the last game Tre Mitchell played before he sat out because of back issues. I wouldn't surprised to know that Mitchell's back was causing him problems in this game.

There were multiple issues for UK in that game and those are all gone. Tennessee was the underdog in that one and came in playing hungry and took it straight at UK. The Cats never were in that game. But the tables are turned in many ways this time around. Every time folks are saying this UK team has no chance, they come out firing on all cylinders. But the game is in Knoxville and I'm sure Tennessee will be ready. I guess we'll see what happens.
We definitely play up and down to our opponent….when the freshmen are excited and focused we tend to play our best ball. Now our best still might not be enough especially if Knecht has 30+ but they will have our full attention which is half the battle with this team.

Good points that have each been taken into consideration in my decision to take UK on the moneyline tomorrow. I think we beat them.

I'd bet big money that Tre's back was bothering him even before the Tennessee game...he tried playing through it for several games, I suspect, before finally giving up the ghost

There is no reason why we can't win down there, we did last year, and we have a better team this year. Plus, we have a full roster now which has to help, not to mention we have been playing our best basketball lately. I hope we get a fair whistle and remember what happened in Lexington. Tennessee would like nothing more than to sweep Kentucky in basketball, we can't let it happen.

You truly think Barnes will take it easy on Cal and the players will not try hard to win? Do you really think this? Or are you laying ground work for an excuse if we do pull it out? Just seems very odd that you would believe this. Senior Day. Playing for a 1 seed. Versus Kentucky. I think they’ll want to beat the shit out of us.
The CHC is just laying groundwork for our win. It will now be because Barnes let us win.

I hope we blow them out. I’m not going to list my feelings about all your points but have to ask you this because this one really jumped out at me. Do you honestly think #4 has changed? I strongly disagree that it has. Cal still is playing a lot of players and a lot of combinations. Maybe even more than at the time of the first meeting with them.

I hope we blow them out. I’m not going to list my feelings about all your points but have to ask you this because this one really jumped out at me. Do you honestly think #4 has changed? I strongly disagree that it has. Cal still is playing a lot of players and a lot of combinations. Maybe even more than at the time of the first meeting with them.
Been giving this some thought lately. Maybe Cal thinks the best chance we have at winning games is to use our insane depth and wear teams down. Then, just simply outscore them in the last 7/8 minutes. Basically keep guys fresh for that last 20% or so of games. I mean, we don’t guard very well. Just a thought.

Oh I definitely think it has. We have settled so much more into our roles now. Aaron Bradshaw isn't getting 20+ MPG anymore- Edwards is now logging some minutes at the 4- we have a legitimate closing lineup now that always features Dillingham and Sheppard, etc.

Our lineups/subbing patterns are so much better now!

I don’t think they will be nearly as desperate as they would be if the SEC regular season championship was on the line. You can tell they wanted that badly by beating Auburn, Bama, and USC.
I wish our coach wanted to win championships that badly!

I don’t think they will be nearly as desperate as they would be if the SEC regular season championship was on the line. You can tell they wanted that badly by beating Auburn, Bama, and USC.
I wish our coach wanted to win championships that badly!
I am not Happy with the results of the last few years, but do you think Cal doesn't want to win? That doesn't make any damn sense

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT