ADVERTISEMENT

Watched a replay of purdue

CRZ4UK

Sophomore
Gold Member
Feb 16, 2021
My goodness. It’s like watching a different game than the SEC. Both Purdue and Illinois played like UK and Alabama. No hands all over everybody. No flopping and falling down on every shot and drive. No pushing in the back. Whose fault is the horrible brand of basketball we see in the SEC? The league? Officials? NCAA? Cal complained about the physicality his first 5 of 6 years here. He even said publicly once the major schools should leave if they couldn’t control it better. Our calls got even worse after those comments. He just gave up trying to change our league. I enjoyed watching guys play real basketball instead of the rock fights we watch.

The big ten is such a boring conference. It's like everything B1G. Cold, gray, dreary. Sports are just better down in the SEC. The Big Ten tries to pride itself on ''blue collar basketball''. But come tournament time the officiating changes. And you can't play football on the hardwood anymore.

The SEC being a football conference, they decided sometime around 15-20 years ago that they wanted to create a more physical basketball presence and be known nationwide as the "most physical" league in the country. They've spent a lot of time and money hand-selecting and calibrating refs to adjust to this mold, and the product results are what we see today.

A train wreck, really. Which is why many SEC teams have a tough time in the tournament - they are used to hacking and grabbing in order to win, but the refs aren't from the SEC and make them pay for actually FOULING.

The SEC being a football conference, they decided sometime around 15-20 years ago that they wanted to create a more physical basketball presence and be known nationwide as the "most physical" league in the country. They've spent a lot of time and money hand-selecting and calibrating refs to adjust to this mold, and the product results are what we see today.

A train wreck, really. Which is why many SEC teams have a tough time in the tournament - they are used to hacking and grabbing in order to win, but the refs aren't from the SEC and make them pay for actually FOULING.
The SEC is becoming the best conference in basketball. Give it another few years. They'll overtake the Big 12. JMO. But sec fanbases all over are starting to take more pride in basketball. Increased funding has came to the league's basketball programs.

Probably fair but the Big Ten hasn’t produced a national champion since Antonio Reeves has been alive.
Maybe it’s BECAUSE they play defense trying NOT to foul. Don’t fall down on every shot and get bullshit calls. Knect fell to the floor a minimum of 20 times in our game. Flailed his arms, threw his head back and was rewarded with 20 free throws. If you DONT DO THAT they lose by 15-20 even with the collapse. We don’t do that. Purdue, Alabama , Illinois don’t do that. It costs us 10 fouls a game we could be shooting. Officials falling for it is my problem.

Reactions: WildcatsAndBourbon
If officiating in the NCAA-T doesn't allow the physical play we've been dealing with in league play, it will be a big disadvantage to SEC teams, specifically South Carolina, Tennessee, and Auburn... the teams that make their living off their hard-nosed defense and constant contact on every possession. If they can get away with it, they'll probably all make it to the 2nd weekend. But will they let a team like South Carolina, with a no-name coach and program, get away with their physicality? I don't think they will. When we played them at Columbia, I just shook my head at the amount of physicality they got away with. I said even then that they wouldn't likely get away with that away from home. But they got away with quite a bit of it. I wonder if that will fly in the SEC-T?

If officiating in the NCAA-T doesn't allow the physical play we've been dealing with in league play, it will be a big disadvantage to SEC teams, specifically South Carolina, Tennessee, and Auburn... the teams that make their living off their hard-nosed defense and constant contact on every possession. If they can get away with it, they'll probably all make it to the 2nd weekend. But will they let a team like South Carolina, with a no-name coach and program, get away with their physicality? I don't think they will. When we played them at Columbia, I just shook my head at the amount of physicality they got away with. I said even then that they wouldn't likely get away with that away from home. But they got away with quite a bit of it. I wonder if that will fly in the SEC-T?
It’s gotta be hard for any official. Even with no bias or instructions on how to officiate. Do you call 5 fouls in the first possession??? When every player on a team has their hands all over the opponent what do you do. Foul them all out?? Can’t do that, so. You start only calling the horrible ones. At the other end you call touch foul’s because they are attempting NOT to foul so you call it close. It’s a quandary.

The SEC is becoming the best conference in basketball. Give it another few years. They'll overtake the Big 12. JMO. But sec fanbases all over are starting to take more pride in basketball. Increased funding has came to the league's basketball programs.
Part of that is everyone’s football program not named Bama or UGA kinda sucking.

I mean look at the State of SEC football. Tenn? Meh. Auburn? Meh. UF? Very meh. Us? Meh.

The other sec powerhouses in au, Tenn, and UF has declined a bit football wise. So Basketabll is taking. Bit more interest. Don’t get me wrong. The brand has improved. But I’d say the decline in some storied football programs has helped balance that.

could you imagine if they allowed our offense to run free without all the holding and grabbing and two handed pushing

My goodness. It’s like watching a different game than the SEC. Both Purdue and Illinois played like UK and Alabama.
What you are describing is not some superior, more elegant form of basketball. It is a league-wide lack of speed and athleticism that allows players to be guarded without grabbing and holding. It’s like basketball played in three-quarter time. And it’s why the Big Ten never wins the tournament.

My understanding is that officials are not SEC refs, or B10 refs, but they all work multiple conferences regionally. Am I wrong on this?

I keep seeing these talking heads touting UT as a Final Four team. We know that ain’t gonna happen.

My goodness. It’s like watching a different game than the SEC. Both Purdue and Illinois played like UK and Alabama. No hands all over everybody. No flopping and falling down on every shot and drive. No pushing in the back. Whose fault is the horrible brand of basketball we see in the SEC? The league? Officials? NCAA? Cal complained about the physicality his first 5 of 6 years here. He even said publicly once the major schools should leave if they couldn’t control it better. Our calls got even worse after those comments. He just gave up trying to change our league. I enjoyed watching guys play real basketball instead of the rock fights we watch.
Which is one reason we used to do well in the tourney IMO. When we get a crew that doesn’t call a game like we are used too it really helps us. When teams get a crew that call fouls they have not all gets got then they don’t adjust.

Reactions: WildcatsAndBourbon
My understanding is that officials are not SEC refs, or B10 refs, but they all work multiple conferences regionally. Am I wrong on this?
Some do but it’s no coincidence why we get the same crews over and over during the year. It allows them to stay in one region to work multiple games a week. Every once in a while you will catch a game where shows or someone is in another conference during a CBS game or whatever.

I think again that’s why teams as you said who rely on it often disappoint in the tourney. We are like man South Carolina is tough, but then in their tourney game they can’t hold all game, sit in the lane and they don’t stop their opponent and can’t score themselves enough to win.

Reactions: IL Wildcat
That's because it was a road game for a top tier opponent. Creates a close game and better TV. That's why road losses in our conference matter very little if you understand what is happening. Just look to the 2014 group. Might have been 2011. Lost every road game in conference and went to the final 4. Amazing how much better basketball can be with a correct whistle

Reactions: IL Wildcat
Probably fair but the Big Ten hasn’t produced a national champion since Antonio Reeves has been alive.
The whole idea that the big 10 officiating prevents the big 10 teams from tourney success cause they haven’t won a.title in 20 years is shortsighted. MSU and Wisconsin and Michigan have been to multiple FFs and title games. Ohio State went to title game.

Then why do they not let UK play physical for the most part? We usually end up with a lot more total fouls than our opponent but I also know that is part of playing for UK. Should not be this way because it will kick us out of the tourney most times. But it is what it is I guess

The big ten is such a boring conference. It's like everything B1G. Cold, gray, dreary. Sports are just better down in the SEC. The Big Ten tries to pride itself on ''blue collar basketball''. But come tournament time the officiating changes. And you can't play football on the hardwood anymore.
Yet that happens every time two SEC teams play.

UT might have committed 50-60 fouls in that game against us last week ..it was the Rick pitino approach — foul a bunch , they won’t call them all .

Then why do they not let UK play physical for the most part? We usually end up with a lot more total fouls than our opponent but I also know that is part of playing for UK. Should not be this way because it will kick us out of the tourney most times. But it is what it is I guess
Because Cal will not teach it. It does not prepare his players for the next level. If you jump into someone in the NBA and initiate the contact on offense you won’t get a foul call. If you body bump or put your hands on someone on defense the whistle blows immediately. That’s why A lot of casual NBA watchers say they care nothing about defense. That’s a falsehood. You must play defense without fouling. Kentucky and Alabama coaches teach this. Our game was wildly entertaining. It does give the advantage to the offense as it should be. You always have an advantage when you know where you’re going before your opponent. Tennessee; Auburn and SC have a hand on you at all times. It kills your burst. It mugs the game up like a rugby match. I hate it. They call a lot of fouls on US because the opponent jumps into us and initiates the contact. Then flail their arm, throw their heads back and fall down. Knect fell to the ground after 90% of his shots. Threw the ball into the defender in the lane and flailed his arms to get contact. At no time was he trying to make those shots in the lane. He was attempting to draw a foul. NBA officials would laugh at him and say get up showboy. We get a lot of fouls called on us because other coaches teach HOW to draw a foul. The SEC officials give It them to them.

Last edited:
Reactions: ACTSEAN
Purely jmo but I think 10-15 years ago, the powers that be decided to skew the officiating because UK was dominating too much. If they let other teams have a different whistle, it would make the games more competitive and increase interest around the league.

To their credit, it absolutely worked. Sec basketball gradually rose and with the increased sec network money it rose further. Now it has the best collection of coaches in the nation and it's player talent is just as good.

That's the only plausible explanation for the completely god awful whistle UK suddenly started getting out of nowhere. Where teams could maul us but we'd get a foul for breathing. Where flops were endlessly rewarded against us, but our guy getting elbowed in the face is a cylinder foul. Where a video review clearly shows no goaltending but they keep the call anyway. The examples go on and on ad infinitum.

Yes it can be purely incompetence, but if it was that would show both ways. Instead it's 85% against us.

Where teams could maul us but we'd get a foul for breathing. Where flops were endlessly rewarded against us, but our guy getting elbowed in the face is a cylinder foul. Where a video review clearly shows no goaltending but they keep the call anyway. The examples go on and on ad infinitum.
I will shake my head the rest of my life over that one. It wasn't a foul until he elbow happened.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT