ADVERTISEMENT

Wake up people!!! It was just 1 win!

Gus Polinski

Blue Chip Prospect
Nov 24, 2006
I can’t believe how easily satisfied some people are! 1 win does not erase multiple years of abject failure! CCC still has to go!!!

The fact that so many people are apparently emotional and overjoyed with a regular season win over Tennessee shows just how far this program has fallen!

I can’t believe how easily satisfied some people are! 1 win does not erase multiple years of abject failure! CCC still has to go!!!

The fact that so many people are apparently emotional and overjoyed with a regular season win over Tennessee shows just how far this program has fallen!
I think the majority of fans have struck a good balance after this win of being pumped and happy about knocking off a top 5 team on the road who is one of our bigger rivals and realizing at the same time this team still has a long way to go and needs to string together a bunch of performances like this to get more fans fully on board. Cal needs to get his head out of his rear and play Wheeler much less for this team to reach its peak.

Nothing wrong with that at all as far as I am concerned.

If you didn’t have fun watching yesterday, I question if you like to see UK succeed. No one is saying give Cal another extension or anything. If you couldn’t see the fight and coaching that took place yesterday, basketball isn’t the sport for you to follow. Now, Cal still has a long ways to go and needs at least a final four this season to continue to be our coach. Yesterday was fun, let’s see if it continues.

It showed me that we shouldn't assume that if a player isn't part of Cal's rotation he can't play. It was amazing to see just how capable Cal's scrubs were when given a chance. They played better defensive than most of his starters. If Cal coaches the rest of the season the way he did yesterday, this team has a chance to be in the mix. However, if he reverts back to playground basketball, losing will continue.

I bet you’re a blast at parties Gussy.
It was a good game and Kentucky won beating a hated rival, a ranked rival in a highly contested game on the road.
And well, no, it doesn’t change the big picture. It was a nice day, to win rather than lose.
I do give you credit though, for waiting till Sunday morning to bring the misery back

What it showed me is, that this team can play, and the coach can make decisions that puts his team in the position to win.

Will that continue? I’m skeptical for obvious reasons.
What it also showed me is that coach shouldn’t have put us in a position to lose some of the games that we have this year. We had no business losing to quite a few of those teams. It’s Cal we’re talking about he’s going back to playing those crazy lineups. He has it in his mind that they work so he’s going to continue to go back to those lineups when those players come back. Cal will always be Cal.

We did win. Can't even enjoy a win against one of our biggest rivals. I guess you would have preferred a loss.

Kentucky shot 35% from the floor yesterday and committed 19 TOs. Most of the time, those are not winning stats. We won because we dominated the boards and shot uncharacteristically well from the FT stripe. Tennessee was terrible yesterday and Rick Barnes basically acknowledged as much. Barnes' game plan to rough up Tshiebwe backfired because Oscar hit his FTs and had a strong rebounding game.

It is good to get an SEC win, and we needed it. But we will have to shoot better from the floor to win more close games.

Right now, Bama is the best team in the SEC. It is a long season. I cannot see Kentucky finishing in the SEC's top group of teams. But the only question now is whether Kentucky can even make the NCAA Tournament field for March. Yesterday was a step in the right direction, but we would be crazy to believe yesterday got Kentucky into the NCAA Tournament. That job is far from being finished.

I haven’t seen anyone declare that all is right again. Just people happy for the hard-fought win against a ranked team on the road. Please admit that it was a good win and let others enjoy it.
This ^ is me. Triple C needs to go asap. He has set us back so far it’s criminal. But …. I’m always going to pull for the ‘players’ and the ‘team’. Especially Oscar. I took great pleasure beating the UT scum, especially on the road. I’m not optimistic about the future with Triple C at the helm but yesterday felt pretty darn good for a change.

It showed me that we shouldn't assume that if a player isn't part of Cal's rotation he can't play. It was amazing to see just how capable Cal's scrubs were when given a chance. They played better defensive than most of his starters. If Cal coaches the rest of the season the way he did yesterday, this team has a chance to be in the mix. However, if he reverts back to playground basketball, losing will continue.
I agree 100%. The only think I’ll add is for the last several years it seems our teams have lacked the lateral quickness to stay in front of their man. If CCC would change his defensive philosophy to help with this problem who knows what could be. But we all know he won’t. His teams always struggle at defending the pick and roll and that holds true this year also.
MAKE A DEFENSIVE ADJUSTMENT!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: kywildcat41086
There's nobody that wants Cal out of here more than me, but I don't want to miss the tournament to prove he's lost it.

That South carolina loss put us on the wrong side of the bubble, but yesterday's huge win put us back in tournament contention and I'll take that.

Cal has screwed up badly the last 3 seasons. Us "Basketball Bennies" have been right more than he has and I hate how Cal was smug in his post game presser, but we pulled off, what might be, the 2nd best road win in college basketball yesterday and it was Tennessee, who has had our number, so I'm very happy with the job Cal and the team did yesterday.

I agree 100%. The only think I’ll add is for the last several years it seems our teams have lacked the lateral quickness to stay in front of their man. If CCC would change his defensive philosophy to help with this problem who knows what could be. But we all know he won’t. His teams always struggle at defending the pick and roll and that holds true this year also.
MAKE A DEFENSIVE ADJUSTMENT!!!!!!!!!
You might be right about the lack of lateral quickness, but this is just hard for me to believe. It is hard for me to believe because Cal has long been attracted to long athletic players even if they couldn't shoot. The notion that a player can be super athletic with the absence of lateral movement just goes against conventional wisdom, imho. However, I could be wrong.

Yes, regrettably, it sure sounded like that. Cal is not fond of Kentucky's fan base and seems locked in an "I told you so" fight with the Lexington public. A leopard does not change his spots.
I have avoided his speaking for quite a while but listened more this year just to see what his mindset is. Dude is just insufferable. After the wins he has had this "see it just takes time to figure things out". The only thing he said yday that was true was that his teams have always been tough and they found that. Then it was on to talking about injuries and showing up his critics.

Agree. The only difference in that game is he couldn’t play wheeler. We still tried to choke it away with stall ball. We still played way too many bigs at once. Not a recipe for success.

This is stupid. If you hate the fact that we won, you’re not a fan at all
I don’t think anyone hates that we won. I have yet to see anyone say it sucks that we did
But every last person here has a right to be cautious..one game does not change the season
And jumping on the bandwagon is premature…

Was the win yesterday a big win? Very much so..but it won’t mean a damn thing if we don’t do this consistently

I love that we won and it provides hope. But..............................we again gave up a ton of straight iine drives to the basket and for whatever reason Tenn missed at least 5 uncontested lay-ups as well as a few somewhat contested shots that were not blocked but short. This is a continuing Kentucky defensive problem.
Toppin continues to frustrate doing one good thing and then something bad making a transition easy shot by our opponents available.

In my view as much as Reeves scored it was C.J. that made the difference. He stopped what was going to be a blowout, looked much more relaxed on several shots, played much better defense only one time getting beat by a cutter and remains an excellent passer. He should still have screens set for him and be taking more shots as having the 3 guard line-up made a huge difference on our offense. Yes, Wheeler not playing helped and I still feel like many he should be relieving Wallace not playing along side him.

Reactions: kywildcat41086

You can simultaneously be happy with the win and performance while also being very upset at the last few seasons and the overall job performance.

It doesn't have to be a binary choice.

Loving or hating John Calipari should come second to just being a Kentucky basketball fan. Yesterday was one of the most unexpected outcomes to a game that I can remember.
I guess you forgot about the 26-point loss to Bama, the embarrassing loss at home to South Carolina less than a week ago and the loss to 15 seeded St Pete.

You might be right about the lack of lateral quickness, but this is just hard for me to believe. It is hard for me to believe because Cal has long been attracted to long athletic players even if they couldn't shoot. The notion that a player can be super athletic with the absence of lateral movement just goes against conventional wisdom, imho. However, I could be wrong.
Not only that, but most of the teams we have been losing to, had players that were not as athletic as our guys.
Saint Peters, Richmond, ND and Evansville, certainly didn't have players with better lateral quickness.

“Don’t steal my joy”. This win was huge if you are a genuine Kentucky fan. The precious present is always important. Of course, this win doesn’t eliminate the future concern about this team’s ability to perform. The team may collapse again. Who knows? We are in the here and now and I now at least have some hope this team can improve to be a contender. Will it happen? I don’t know but for right now Cal is the coach and my team is playing. I’m pulling for them to all be successful. I’m not going to wallow in “gloom despair and agony in me” because CAl is our coach.

I love that we won and it provides hope. But..............................we again gave up a ton of straight iine drives to the basket and for whatever reason Tenn missed at least 5 uncontested lay-ups as well as a few somewhat contested shots that were not blocked but short. This is a continuing Kentucky defensive problem.
Toppin continues to frustrate doing one good thing and then something bad making a transition easy shot by our opponents available.

In my view as much as Reeves scored it was C.J. that made the difference. He stopped what was going to be a blowout, looked much more relaxed on several shots, played much better defense only one time getting beat by a cutter and remains an excellent passer. He should still have screens set for him and be taking more shots as having the 3 guard line-up made a huge difference on our offense. Yes, Wheeler not playing helped and I still feel like many he should be relieving Wallace not playing along side him.
The reason UT got some straight line drive baskets, is because Cal designed the defense to focus on taking away the 3 point shot.

I actually think that was a brilliant move and it worked.

UT didn’t even score 60 points on their home floor, so giving up some straightline drives didn’t hurt us and most of those came from well set screening action.

I only wish Cal worked to take away South Carolina's 3 point shooting. Ughh

OP, it’s ok to try to be positive and hopeful. Immediately waxing negative is more about you.

aw·ful·ize
/ˈôfəˌlīz,ˈäfəˌlīz/

verb
INFORMAL
gerund or present participle: awfulizing
  1. imagine (a situation) to be as bad as it can possibly be.
    "I awfulized the upcoming confrontation I was planning to have with my boss"

Reactions: DCFseattle
What it showed me is, that this team can play, and the coach can make decisions that puts his team in the position to win.

Will that continue? I’m skeptical for obvious reasons.
Agree 100 percent.The win showed that thru preparation,this team is capable.Yes,I'm still skeptical about the team and Calipari but for this game I am proud of the effort from the players and the coach.

You don't see many 6'4-6'6 running backs, just saying.

Been saying the same thing for years....has the bar been set so low that we are now happy with one big win? How does this make up for the dismal performance the past several years.?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT