ADVERTISEMENT

Cal, why can't you just enjoy the win?

It was fine for Cal, but I continue to be fascinated by his role as propaganda minister for DJ. Hard selling him to the league every time a mic is in his face.

I wonder if that’s all it is or if it’s also a confidence issue with DJ and Cal feels like he has to constantly pump him up.
I believe it is for Wagner. For one thing, the NBA people don’t pay attention to “coach speak” , probably don’t listen to postgame shows and Cal knows this . I’ve also been told by the father of one of our players that Wagner has a tendency to get down on himself when he is not playing well or makes a bad play.

He praised Reed for about 10 seconds in the entire press conference. He actually mentioned Wagner more, and he spent more time talking critically about Sheppard than he did positively.

And before someone says it was just a motivation tactic, they need to remember that Cal's done this with Sheppard a number of times. Meanwhile, DJ gets a couple baskets and Cal goes on for 8 minutes about how hard he's worked, how injured he's been, and how Cal still believes in him.

He did the same crap with Edwards before the 28 point breakout game.

He's like a dad whose kid (Sheppard) bring home a 95% on their test, and the dad immediately asks, "What could you have done to have received that 100%?"

Then the other sons (Edwards, Bradshaw, and Wagner) bring home 75% and 80% scores and the dad says, "We're going out to celebrate with pizza and ice cream tonight, boys!"
This is my ONLY problem with how Cal addressed the media after Reed just bailed him out with a FREAKIN 11-14 game!! He made EVERY 2 pt shot and FT and we had to have EVERY one of them to win!!!

Then he compliments DJ for making 2 3 pt'ers and said he hadn't picked a ball up in the 2 weeks he was hurt. Well, he has played his whole life and has been back for 2 weeks.

Cal HATES the fact that his best player is the fans that he looks down upon's FAVORITE player. So he has to downplay his accomplishments and UPLIFT his favorite player's accomplishments.

And the craziest thing about all of this is that ALL of it is coming from Cal and NONE of it is in ANY way coming from DJ OR Justin!!!

Cal is irritated with the fans AND media(even the national guys) who have acknowledged that Reed is his BEST player and is going to be drafted HIGHER than Cal's PREFERRED players(DJ,Edwards).

SAD

Last edited:
You did make up that he said this isn't the U of Reed Sheppard, you even used quotations. When I read your post I was pretty annoyed that he would say that, I'm glad I checked it out for myself. It didn't happen.
I`ve watched the video several times and I didn`t hear that comment either. Cal was joking when he said he wanted to choke Reed after that bad pass. Everything Cal say`s is scrutinized and it doesn`t need to be. Plus, it doesn`t matter who starts, its who plays the most and is in the game at the end. Some players can't start, they have to sit for a few minutes to get going. Reed is always in the game around the 16-minute mark, it`s not like he sits until halftime.

No no, I get it. You are a linear, literal thinker with no capability to understand the comparison between Billy G taking away credit from Jodie Meeks' 54 point hero performance to a member of the media and Cal taking away credit from Sheppard's 32 point hero performance to a member of the media. It's just tooooooo nuanced for your little mind to comprehend. Now pipe down and let the adults talk. Back to mommy's basement.
Mike-McD is literally the worst poster on Raftrs. The absolute worst. Just in case I'm not being clear, he's the worst.

IMO this forum would be a totally different place this am if Saint John doesn’t mock / irritate / insult etc And Etc in the post game room . He can’t be happy — at least not the way that certain game played out

Reactions: catben
I don't have a problem with not calling a timeout; there is no right or wrong on that one.

Fouling up 3 late when our best shooters are at least as likely to make both shots as their
guy is clearly the right thing to do; guys will hit one tough 3 pointer more often that making
one free throw, missing the 2nd, getting the rebound and then scoring. I don't think it's close.

Continuing to bring 2 of your top 3 players off the bench and having to pull out of a hole
most games is just wrong; nobody who is neutral or just wants UK to win thinks that is a
good idea.

None of that means I was not thrilled with the win; I was as happy at game's end as I've been in a couple
years(it's been a very rough couple years, nothing to do with basketball).

I don't have a problem with not calling a timeout; there is no right or wrong on that one.

Fouling up 3 late when our best shooters are at least as likely to make both shots as their
guy is clearly the right thing to do; guys will hit one tough 3 pointer more often that making
one free throw, missing the 2nd, getting the rebound and then scoring. I don't think it's close.

Continuing to bring 2 of your top 3 players off the bench and having to pull out of a hole
most games is just wrong; nobody who is neutral or just wants UK to win thinks that is a
good idea.

None of that means I was not thrilled with the win; I was as happy at game's end as I've been in a couple
years(it's been a very rough couple years, nothing to do with basketball).
I also thought it was a mistake to sub Ugo in for defense on that final possession where Hubbard hits the 3. I think if you sub in AB, you can definitely switch all 5 spots and every shot will be more contested on the perimeter. Ugo isn't as good at that. You know they want the 3, you know they'll use the big man to get Hubbard open - be ready to switch all 5 spots

Cal bout cost us the fn game!
Too many mins for certain players, poor subbing at the end and not calling any timeouts. Then we lose our little lead. Thank God for Sheppard! Cal bout lost it again for us.

• Haha
Reactions: TCurtis75
Weird stuff from Cal if it's a confidence issue for DJ. Wagner's been the "anointed one" since middle school. You'd think he would be capable of "building his own confidence" as Cal says.

He might also want to get used to the idea of a second year. If he jumps now, he's going mid-second round and will end up sleeping in Motel Sixes on the road in the g-league.

I don't understand why so many of these guys insists on flying the OAD airplane when it's clear they don't have the gas to make the flight after year one. Then when they crash the plane into the G-league mountains, pretty much all of BBN collectively says, "called it."
He is/was a political 5*, had had enough juice to drag Bradshaw along with him. His name is better than his game, like the small school kid who is a star because his dad is an important dude in town and chairman of the school board.

IMO this forum would be a totally different place this am if Saint John doesn’t mock / irritate / insult etc And Etc in the post game room . He can’t be happy — at least not the way that certain game played out
Except only you and a select few others think he insulted, mocked, etc last night. Then you state Cal can’t be happy with the way the game played out. You act like that’s a fact when that is your opinion. At some point, the perception issue becomes a you problem. There are plenty of post games that justify being mad at Cal. Most agree last night wasn’t one of them. There comes a point when you start looking for a reason to be mad at Cal because you don’t like Cal and want to justify it. I think we’ve reached that point with you, Mike McD, and a few others.

As soon as he sits down he has his Billy Gillispie moment of "This isn't the University of Reed Sheppard," blasting the LITERAL HERO OF THE GAME for throwing a long pass. I swear if I was Jeff I would tell my son to declare at the end of the season and get the hell out from under this sh**show of a coach. The guy clearly can't STAND the fact that Sheppard outplays ALL of his favorites on the team. (And him NOT starting Sheppard will come back to bite us in the tournament. We'll get down early to the wrong team and that'll be curtains.)

The very NEXT comment he goes off on the fans for him not calling timeout. And then he blasts the fans for saying he should foul with 16 seconds to go. "STOP! JUST LET ME COACH THE TEAM!" He was PISSED.

The man is very thin skinned, to start off with. He's very aware of fan criticism and he doesn't like it.

But here's the thing. You calbois are always whining about people finding things to be concerned about after the game.

"Why can't you just enjoy the win, for like an hour, Cal?" Maybe you bois should direct that question to him for a change.
Cal has always been an arrogant jerk. He doesn't like the fact that across the state Reed is the man everyone wants to see.

Wasn't as bad as OP made out but he does seem to want laud Wagner more than anything. He says 'at the end he said I said to Wagner make something happen and he found Reed an he hit it'. Well that's 1 way to put it I guess . To me looked like Wagner just passed it to him Casusly outside 3pt line and Reed just made something happen.

Reactions: catben
Except only you and a select few others think he insulted, mocked, etc last night. Then you state Cal can’t be happy with the way the game played out. You act like that’s a fact when that is your opinion. At some point, the perception issue becomes a you problem. There are plenty of post games that justify being mad at Cal. Most agree last night wasn’t one of them. There comes a point when you start looking for a reason to be mad at Cal because you don’t like Cal and want to justify it. I think we’ve reached that point with you, Mike McD, and a few others.
At some point , very early in the press conf he mocked people .. in a form that’s beneath the U of K . He acted like a mentally challenged person and said something to the effect “ and to the people who think I should have called a TO “ then he shakes and tilts his head sideways — it’s just not needed . But he can’t help himself

Yeah, I wish Cal would be more magnanimous and show some humility, and not be so defensive. He's been under fire this season and for several years now and it has obviously affected him. He's become way too touchy, way too defensive. I would love to sit down with him and talk to him, if he would listen to me. I know that will never happen. So, here's what I say- I hope we win every game from here, on. I don't care who gets the credit for it. I will enjoy every win whether Cal does or not, and whether people on this board are able to enjoy them or not.

And so, I say... Great win! Beating Alabama wouldn't have meant much if we turned around and lost this game- same as losing to LSU after beating Auburn. Huge win!

At some point , very early in the press conf he mocked people .. in a form that’s beneath the U of K . He acted like a mentally challenged person and said something to the effect “ and to the people who think I should have called a TO “ then he shakes and tilts his head sideways — it’s just not needed . But he can’t help himself
Again that’s how you took his comments. I didn’t take them that way at all. I will repeat that we’ve reached the point that many are looking for any reason to be mad at Cal to justify being mad at Cal.

You're right. I tell you, there's enough misery in the world. There's more than enough. What's the point in trying to create more of it out of nothing? Over a ballgame no less.
I noticed I used When instead of win, so I edited it...........lol. Basketball and football allows me to forget what`s going on and enjoy something for a couple of hours. I hate to see UK lose, but it doesn`t affect me like it once did. Fans have to realize this isn`t college basketball 10 years ago, where we had UK then everyone else. The SEC was a bad BB conference, then they have added coaches who are good and can recruit. It`s tougher than it once was and that makes it more exciting. The SEC was a football only conference and basketball was an afterthought. That has changed, making it more intense and more exciting. UK will lose some, but all that matters is what happens in March.

Reactions: Rockfly78
Well, he wasn’t wrong. It almost cost the game after we were up nearly 10. It went down to 1 when #13 was hot as a firecracker from NBA range.
The pass was wrong if rewound have thrown it to Z who probably ends up with an open dunk.

Yeah, I wish Cal would be more magnanimous and show some humility, and not be so defensive. He's been under fire this season and for several years now and it has obviously affected him. He's become way too touchy, way too defensive. I would love to sit down with him and talk to him, if he would listen to me. I know that will never happen. So, here's what I say- I hope we win every game from here, on. I don't care who gets the credit for it. I will enjoy every win whether Cal does or not, and whether people on this board are able to enjoy them or not.

And so, I say... Great win! Beating Alabama wouldn't have meant much if we turned around and lost this game- same as losing to LSU after beating Auburn. Huge win!
It's that "clutter" that Cal claims he doesn't listen to. Oh he takes it all in. He probably spends hours each night reading it. If he is the type of person that needs to read negative press in order to perform then I hope he laps it up. Just win. period.

Again that’s how you took his comments. I didn’t take them that way at all. I will repeat that we’ve reached the point that many are looking for any reason to be mad at Cal to justify being mad at Cal.

If the first thing a person does after a huge road win is look for reasons to be mad at Cal, are they even happy that we won ??

If you don’t think that press conference was a bad look then OK I don’t understand it but that’s your opinion

I believe it is for Wagner. For one thing, the NBA people don’t pay attention to “coach speak” , probably don’t listen to postgame shows and Cal knows this . I’ve also been told by the father of one of our players that Wagner has a tendency to get down on himself when he is not playing well or makes a bad play.

Of the guys that play, he's the worst in basically every measurable category.
Worst Off Rtg, Def Rtg, Win Share, Box +/-, etc., so it makes sense that Cal is constantly trying to pump his confidence and trying not to lose him.
I think they'll need him for a few minutes per game at the minimum.
I'd love to see him return and take the Quickley journey but it's very unlikely...

Reactions: yoshukai and catben
Cal bout cost us the fn game!
Too many mins for certain players, poor subbing at the end and not calling any timeouts. Then we lose our little lead. Thank God for Sheppard! Cal bout lost it again for us.
You're right! Cal had too many turnovers and missed easy shots right at the end.🙄

Reactions: Graham51
It's that "clutter" that Cal claims he doesn't listen to. Oh he takes it all in. He probably spends hours each night reading it. If he is the type of person that needs to read negative press in order to perform then I hope he laps it up. Just win. period.
Yeah, he hears the "clutter." He probably doesn't see his hypocrisy on that one, but he tells others (especially his players) to ignore those negative voices in their heads. Yet, he obviously takes every single comment personally. It's not healthy, I'll just tell you that. In my job, it is common to get criticism. If I took every word seriously and personally, I'd be a miserable person. Cal really needs to take his own advice here.

Yeah, he hears the "clutter." He probably doesn't see his hypocrisy on that one, but he tells others (especially his players) to ignore those negative voices in their heads. Yet, he obviously takes every single comment personally. It's not healthy, I'll just tell you that. In my job, it is common to get criticism. If I took every word seriously and personally, I'd be a miserable person. Cal really needs to take his own advice here.
I would guess you would need to multiply the criticism you receive by at least 1000 to get an idea of what Cal gets. I know the argument that he is well paid so he has to deal with it. I agree but he is dealing with it how he sees fit whether right or wrong. I don't think any of us would be able to keep our mouth shut if we constantly hear the criticism Cal hears. Its easy to say I would just keep my mouth shut when you are on the outside looking in. It is completely different to actually be able to do it when you are in the middle of it. Hell, most of us (me included) can't keep our mouth shut when we get criticism on this message board.

I would guess you would need to multiply the criticism you receive by at least 1000 to get an idea of what Cal gets. I know the argument that he is well paid so he has to deal with it. I agree but he is dealing with it how he sees fit whether right or wrong. I don't think any of us would be able to keep our mouth shut if we constantly hear the criticism Cal hears. Its easy to say I would just keep my mouth shut when you are on the outside looking in. It is completely different to actually be able to do it when you are in the middle of it. Hell, most of us (me included) can't keep our mouth shut when we get criticism on this message board.
Point taken. And you're right- the criticism I hear is very mild in comparison. I can't imagine what he endures.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT