ADVERTISEMENT

Just A Fan’s Perspective on Coach Cal

Mar 24, 2024
I have watched this board for years today I’d like to post as a fan. Leaders that fail, have one primary flaw… they believe the way they have always succeeded, will always work.

My mind has changed over and over since the Thursday first round loss.

Cal’s primary flaw is he puts the players over the program. It made sense to me when we were winning, great players that succeed brings the program along with them. Ok… I guess.

Problem is, the “players” and the game has changed… it’s older. Talent over experience used to matter and that’s how I would always hire people. The game today is different. Couple that with the name on the jersey and a coach that screams at them non-stop, pulls them for the slightest error, and leans into getting them into the game (when the should be on the bench) just to get them into the NBA.

I have zero doubt he cares deeply for his players, but the Kentucky brand comes with immense pressure to perform, 18 year old kids vs 24 year olds, and a coach that still thinks “Bigs” matter as much as they did 8 years ago.

It’s the “Lone Wolf” syndrome Look up that definition, that’s his relationship to the Kentucky “business”. In Business, the Wolf is fine as long as they perform. When they don’t, managers/AD can be quick to move on them.

So… right or wrong, my personal opinion is that the AD needs to have a hard conversation, lay out his expectations beyond just winning (obvious), Cal needs to be put on a “Performance Plan“ that focuses on the small stuff. If you can’t execute on the small stuff (TBD), then the big stuff (winning) stands zero chance.

As AD, I bring him back for one more run. If the small stuff changes the big stuff changes (winning), it’s a win win. Fact: we need more time to secure a coach. There are none out there imo currently. Mitch needs time to find one that can give use a good run.

My opinion, just sharing it for what it’s worth.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT