ADVERTISEMENT

Reed is an Elite Defender - Why do so many people disagree?

Me too. But what do your eyes tell you about his defense?
He is a valuable part of the defense, that has created a lot of points/runouts with his steals. His overall defense appears no different from any other on team. I mean we have 8 loses, and I'm pretty sure he is not responsible for all of them. But he seems to be the focus of most on here.

Reactions: crestcat
He is a valuable part of the defense, that has created a lot of points/runouts with his steals. His overall defense appears no different from any other on team. I mean we have 8 loses, and I'm pretty sure he is not responsible for all of them. But he seems to be the focus of most on here.
Reed is everyone’s favorite player. He’s my favorite player too. It’s ok to admit that he has deficiencies in his game. Nobody is saying any of our losses are on him. I get that you feel the need to defend him but most everyone recognizes that he cannot stay in front of his man and he falls asleep at the wheel too much. He is a great help defender and even better when he’s one pass away, But he’s a terrible on ball defender.

Reed is everyone’s favorite player. He’s my favorite player too. It’s ok to admit that he has deficiencies in his game. Nobody is saying any of our losses are on him. I get that you feel the need to defend him but most everyone recognizes that he cannot stay in front of his man and he falls asleep at the wheel too much. He is a great help defender and even better when he’s one pass away, But he’s a terrible on ball defender.
I'm just saying, as a team, we have several weak defenders. And I can't concentrate on his weaknesses without reminding that without his defense, that produces positive results, we would be in worse shape than we are now. He can't help his physical limitations. Yet he highlights his strengths quite well.

When he turns the ball over he goes as fast as he can to get it back. If he moved his feet with that kind of urgency when guarding someone behind the arc he’d be a great defender. But he’s usually sizing them up to try and get a stab at the ball which will yield a few steals a game but gives up tons of drives into the lane.

He’d do well to watch tapes of Aaron Craft. He went for steals but his feet were always moving to stay in front of his man.
I f'ng hated Aaron Craft. I would have loved him if he played for UK though.

Last edited:
It's always funny how some on here want to put down an in state player. Does Reed need help that only another year or two will make him elite. Yet, we turn our head when someone scores a lot of points and can't guard a sixth grader. I won't mention names but his first name also starts with an R. Yet you never hear a word about this guy who is the worst, yes worst defensive player on the floor no matter who we are playing. I will support Reed as long as he is here, he is making UK better and he is one of us.

I haven't seen any of them stay in front of their man consistently. Part of it is lack of experience. Part of it is the offensive player is allowed to carry the ball. Reed is no worse than DJ and Dillingham on defense and Reed is definitely elite at stealing the ball.
DJ is the best defender we have at the guard position and it is not even close. Today, he will be guarding Sears. That is, if he starts.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT