ADVERTISEMENT

Cal, why can't you just enjoy the win?

Mike-McD

Junior
Aug 3, 2022

As soon as he sits down he has his Billy Gillispie moment of "This isn't the University of Reed Sheppard," blasting the LITERAL HERO OF THE GAME for throwing a long pass. I swear if I was Jeff I would tell my son to declare at the end of the season and get the hell out from under this sh**show of a coach. The guy clearly can't STAND the fact that Sheppard outplays ALL of his favorites on the team. (And him NOT starting Sheppard will come back to bite us in the tournament. We'll get down early to the wrong team and that'll be curtains.)

The very NEXT comment he goes off on the fans for him not calling timeout. And then he blasts the fans for saying he should foul with 16 seconds to go. "STOP! JUST LET ME COACH THE TEAM!" He was PISSED.

The man is very thin skinned, to start off with. He's very aware of fan criticism and he doesn't like it.

But here's the thing. You calbois are always whining about people finding things to be concerned about after the game.

"Why can't you just enjoy the win, for like an hour, Cal?" Maybe you bois should direct that question to him for a change.

As soon as he sits down he has his Billy Gillispie moment of "This isn't the University of Reed Sheppard," blasting the LITERAL HERO OF THE GAME for throwing a long pass. I swear if I was Jeff I would tell my son to declare at the end of the season and get the hell out from under this sh**show of a coach. The guy clearly can't STAND the fact that Sheppard outplays ALL of his favorites on the team. (And him NOT starting Sheppard will come back to bite us in the tournament. We'll get down early to the wrong team and that'll be curtains.)

The very NEXT comment he goes off on the fans for him not calling timeout. And then he blasts the fans for saying he should foul with 16 seconds to go. "STOP! JUST LET ME COACH THE TEAM!" He was PISSED.

The man is very thin skinned, to start off with. He's very aware of fan criticism and he doesn't like it.

But here's the thing. You calbois are always whining about people finding things to be concerned about after the game.

"Why can't you just enjoy the win, for like an hour, Cal?" Maybe you bois should direct that question to him for a change.
You're making things up. The pass quote wasn't intended to be a jab, it's just how one would feel in the moment it happened.

He literally said "Reed plays to win, and doesn't play not to lose"

You're making things up.

He literally said nothing of the sort about Reed and said "Reed plays to win, and doesn't play not to lose"
I'm not making up anything. He blasted Reed immediately when he sat down. Downplayed his performance and put him down. The quote you just mentioned was a putdown, not a compliment. Which is ironic, since he ALSO defended his OWN decision not to foul under 16 seconds. And he questioned his decisionmaking.

I understand from your response that you don't remember the Billy G moment or when/why it was said. Otherwise you wouldn't make such a stupid statement.

I'm not making up anything. He blasted Reed immediately when he sat down. Downplayed his performance and put him down. The quote you just mentioned was a putdown, not a compliment. And he questioned his decisionmaking.
I disagree.

He literally transitioned from the pass comment to praising Reed.

In a way you're the one that's not enjoying the win because you're complaining about a quote totally taken out of context.

I disagree.

No no, I get it. You are a linear, literal thinker with no capability to understand the comparison between Billy G taking away credit from Jodie Meeks' 54 point hero performance to a member of the media and Cal taking away credit from Sheppard's 32 point hero performance to a member of the media. It's just tooooooo nuanced for your little mind to comprehend. Now pipe down and let the adults talk. Back to mommy's basement.

I'm not making up anything. He blasted Reed immediately when he sat down. Downplayed his performance and put him down. The quote you just mentioned was a putdown, not a compliment. Which is ironic, since he ALSO defended his OWN decision not to foul under 16 seconds. And he questioned his decisionmaking.

I understand from your response that you don't remember the Billy G moment or when/why it was said. Otherwise you wouldn't make such a stupid statement.
100% a lie about Cal "putting down" Reed.

He said he wanted to choke Reed and then praised him and said he plays to win and is steady and then joked about some things and said that he was joking because Reed was in the back of the room.

You are either blinded by hate or lying.... Or both

100% a lie about Cal "putting down" Reed.

He said he wanted to choke Reed and then praised him and said he plays to win and is steady and then joked about some things and said that he was joking because Reed was in the back of the room.

You are either blinded by hate or lying.... Or both

I already posted the video. Did you not notice? LOL small minded "fans" like you don't know what "damning with faint praise" means. It's okay. Nobody expects someone named "Chad" to be a great thinker.

It was fine for Cal, but I continue to be fascinated by his role as propaganda minister for DJ. Hard selling him to the league every time a mic is in his face.

I wonder if that’s all it is or if it’s also a confidence issue with DJ and Cal feels like he has to constantly pump him up.

I think it’s obvious there is some pressure building on Cal about Reed and Dilly. Seems like he tries to justify starting DJ quite a bit.
If Reed and Rob weren't mentally tough enough to handle it, it would be a different story.
You can't coach every kid the exact same way.
If it helps DJ's confidence then so be it.
He knows he's getting subbed 3-4 min into each game.
DJ was better tonight.

You did make up that he said this isn't the U of Reed Sheppard, you even used quotations. When I read your post I was pretty annoyed that he would say that, I'm glad I checked it out for myself. It didn't happen.

I disagree.

In a way you're the one that's not enjoying the win because you're complaining about a quote totally taken out of context.
He praised Reed for about 10 seconds in the entire press conference. He actually mentioned Wagner more, and he spent more time talking critically about Sheppard than he did positively.

And before someone says it was just a motivation tactic, they need to remember that Cal's done this with Sheppard a number of times. Meanwhile, DJ gets a couple baskets and Cal goes on for 8 minutes about how hard he's worked, how injured he's been, and how Cal still believes in him.

He did the same crap with Edwards before the 28 point breakout game.

He's like a dad whose kid (Sheppard) bring home a 95% on their test, and the dad immediately asks, "What could you have done to have received that 100%?"

Then the other sons (Edwards, Bradshaw, and Wagner) bring home 75% and 80% scores and the dad says, "We're going out to celebrate with pizza and ice cream tonight, boys!"

Man, Not sure I want to be in a world where every thing we say is being broken down by people and they post like they know the intent of another persons remark. I am not a CAL fan. That has never been debated. I do not lie in wait to rip apart everything the man has to say and then try to put intent on comments.

Just enjoy the win and stop trying to make something bad out of every ballgame. When he is bad and we lose blast him. When we win in spite of his habits let it go, enjoy the win.

Cal deserves grief sometimes. This isn't one of them.
This post reminds me of when my wife was on her period and took offense to anything I said regardless of what it was.
Might wanna give Midol a shot.

He must read the message boards

How bout you shut up and let the rest of us enjoy it, McDouche. We all know how angry you are about it.
Try to be a person for once. Think for yourself. Don't just say what you think will make the other kids like you.

It was fine for Cal, but I continue to be fascinated by his role as propaganda minister for DJ. Hard selling him to the league every time a mic is in his face.

I wonder if that’s all it is or if it’s also a confidence issue with DJ and Cal feels like he has to constantly pump him up.
Weird stuff from Cal if it's a confidence issue for DJ. Wagner's been the "anointed one" since middle school. You'd think he would be capable of "building his own confidence" as Cal says.

He might also want to get used to the idea of a second year. If he jumps now, he's going mid-second round and will end up sleeping in Motel Sixes on the road in the g-league.

I don't understand why so many of these guys insists on flying the OAD airplane when it's clear they don't have the gas to make the flight after year one. Then when they crash the plane into the G-league mountains, pretty much all of BBN collectively says, "called it."

I think you're reading too much into Cals comments. His response was no way near BCGs about Meeks. This was a huge game we needed and that was a HUGE part of the game. I don't like Cal either but I had no problem with what he said.

I don’t see a confidence issue with DJ. He has zero hesitation in his shot. And thankfully another defender slid over and cut DJ off last night so he had to give the ball up to Sheppard.

Cal said he told DJ to go make a play. Blows my mind when you have Dillingham, Sheppard, and Reeves.
Dilly nearly beat LSU and Reed did beat MSU but Cal wants DJ to make a play. We got lucky last night that the ball ended up in Sheppards hands at the end.

The title of the thread applies to you also

What adult uses “boi?”

I disagree.

But why in world start out the presser with a comment about the pass ????? Were there not enough boneheaded plays to go to without going negative on the star of the game ?? How about " I cant believe I gave Ugo a chance to play defense even though he sucked the entire night and he couldnt stop a guard shooting a layup , and not doesnt deny him, but fouls him in the process " Was that not a boneheaded decision than anything about the guy who had a career night ?
Might start a thread on it ( because it deserves one) but again his player rotation , and YES , who starts the game damn near cost us another W . Someone posted it , we started the 2 halves out down like 9-4 and 13-6 or something close . EVERYONE , EVERYONE , ALL OF KENTUCKY knows Rob and Reed need to be starting , but yet we trot out Wag and Edwards , Edwards was wanting no part of the physicality of that game . Wag was Wag . And a very strong argument could be made Z needs to getting the start . It's worth debating ( this is a discussion board right ? ) that Cal is NOT starting 3 of the best players that give us the best chance to win .
His own coaching malpractice is the topic not Reed throwing one bad pass . I have no issue saying , I loathe that basketball Bennie. He's close to destroying what could have been a special season.

He said none of that. He was very complimentary of Reed. He was very happy with the win. He has almost always refused to call a time out in those situations so you are just looking for your bogeyman.

I get it. You hate Cal so much that you cannot stand for any good news to come around Cal.

Cal did a great job of coaching the game. Counter move after move. Personnel move after personnel move trying to get someone to stop their bigs. Even played zone that the CHC demands. It doesn't matter what he does. You are going to be miserable. The only thing that would make you happy is for us to lose so you could then claim you were right.

You are simply right fighting with a shadow opponent. Except you are just wrong. And miserable. You must be a joy to be around?

And call someone else thin skinned? That's a riot!!

No no, I get it. You are a linear, literal thinker with no capability to understand the comparison between Billy G taking away credit from Jodie Meeks' 54 point hero performance to a member of the media and Cal taking away credit from Sheppard's 32 point hero performance to a member of the media. It's just tooooooo nuanced for your little mind to comprehend. Now pipe down and let the adults talk. Back to mommy's basement.
Billy G and what he did to Meeks was something. This Cal quote is a nothingburger.

You're calling me a literal thinker when you literally took Cal's quote literally. Completely ignoring the nuance.

You say let the adults talk and yet you wrote this entire childish response.

Damn man, you really really need to look into the mirror and reflect.

Last edited:
But why in world start out the presser with a comment about the pass ????? Were there not enough boneheaded plays to go to without going negative on the star of the game ?? How about " I cant believe I gave Ugo a chance to play defense even though he sucked the entire night and he couldnt stop a guard shooting a layup , and not doesnt deny him, but fouls him in the process " Was that not a boneheaded decision than anything about the guy who had a career night ?
Might start a thread on it ( because it deserves one) but again his player rotation , and YES , who starts the game damn near cost us another W . Someone posted it , we started the 2 halves out down like 9-4 and 13-6 or something close . EVERYONE , EVERYONE , ALL OF KENTUCKY knows Rob and Reed need to be starting , but yet we trot out Wag and Edwards , Edwards was wanting no part of the physicality of that game . Wag was Wag . And a very strong argument could be made Z needs to getting the start . It's worth debating ( this is a discussion board right ? ) that Cal is NOT starting 3 of the best players that give us the best chance to win .
His own coaching malpractice is the topic not Reed throwing one bad pass . I have no issue saying , I loathe that basketball Bennie. He's close to destroying what could have been a special season.
Because he was literally asked a question about Reed's performance.

His quote might as well be equal to something like

"I was going to kill him for that turnover but the kid sure knows how to win"

That's a compliment.

Italian households are filled with that type of rhetoric.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT