ADVERTISEMENT

Cal, why can't you just enjoy the win?

I would guess you would need to multiply the criticism you receive by at least 1000 to get an idea of what Cal gets. I know the argument that he is well paid so he has to deal with it. I agree but he is dealing with it how he sees fit whether right or wrong. I don't think any of us would be able to keep our mouth shut if we constantly hear the criticism Cal hears. Its easy to say I would just keep my mouth shut when you are on the outside looking in. It is completely different to actually be able to do it when you are in the middle of it. Hell, most of us (me included) can't keep our mouth shut when we get criticism on this message board.
Question, do you think he deserves quite a bit of criticism for the last five years also unless he has his ear to social media, then who is he receiving this criticism from his coaching staff ? Mitch? The president? Let’s be real here.Cal doesn’t answer to anyone

Question, do you think he deserves quite a bit of criticism for the last five years also unless he has his ear to social media, then who is he receiving this criticism from his coaching staff ? Mitch? The president? Let’s be real here.Cal doesn’t answer to anyone
I think some criticism is deserved but people like you and Mike McD among others take it to the extreme...I also don't think the last five years is fair either... We were one of the hottest teams in the country heading into the tournament that was cancelled. The 9 - 16 team was a rough year but he hadn't had a season like that before or since so imo he gets a pass for that due to the circumstances of the year and the fact he more than had proven that was the exception rather than the rule. He deserves criticism for the loss to St. Peters but we were a 2 seed that year so it isn't like we were terrible that year and St. Peters did make it to the S16 or EE (I can't remember which) so they got hot at the right time...It doesn't excuse the loss but certainly is better in context...Last year was a disappointment and they underperformed...This year has been a bit of a disappointment but it isn't over yet...This team could get on a run just like 2014 who made the championship game as a 6 or 7 seed.

The issue isn't the criticism from people when its fair. Criticism for things like saying "now I can get home to my dog" or "I haven't seen him" is fair. Criticism for not fouling when up 3 or not calling a time out is fair even if many coaches agree with Cal's philosophy there. The issue is statements intimating that Cal doesn't like Reed because he doesn't pump him up like he does DJ. No one knows that. The issue is statements like Cal only cares about getting kids to the NBA and not winning. No one can sincerely say they truly believe that when they actually get down to it. Those that do do so simply to fit their agenda. There is a line where criticism becomes personal attacks and many on this board crossed that line long ago simply because they want Cal gone. When you start to want the team to lose simply to get rid of Cal, they you are no longer criticizing which many on this board have done.

^^ fair enough , I'd argue thats a bunch of good will to give a guy . to TCurtis
After 2010 to at least 2017 but I would argue to 2019, you don't think Cal earned some good will? His unprecedented run when he first got here was never going to last forever but it certainly earned him good will, imo. Is Cal a better coach if Luke Maye misses that shot in 2017? What if we lose early in 2014 to miss the F4 but beat Auburn in 2018 to make the F4? Is Cal a better coach? We have the same number of F4s in that scenario they just happen differently? I would argue if that happens, he isn't getting nearly the same amount of crap today. He would still be criticized for the Covid year and St. Peters but you will never convince me that it would be to the level it is currently even though he would have the same F4s as he has now. They just happened in different years.

Reactions: ukcatz12
After 2010 to at least 2017 but I would argue to 2019, you don't think Cal earned some good will? His unprecedented run when he first got here was never going to last forever but it certainly earned him good will, imo. Is Cal a better coach if Luke Maye misses that shot in 2017? What if we lose early in 2014 to miss the F4 but beat Auburn in 2018 to make the F4? Is Cal a better coach? We have the same number of F4s in that scenario they just happen differently? I would argue if that happens, he isn't getting nearly the same amount of crap today. He would still be criticized for the Covid year and St. Peters but you will never convince me that it would be to the level it is currently even though he would have the same F4s as he has now. They just happened in different years.
You leave out terrible losses to Kansas St twice , a bunch of bad home losses , I mean a TON of bad home losses , and in general his record Vs top 25 teams and even overall the past 3 years is not up to Ky standards . Yes by every way possible I dislike the guy , but he recruits AND wins then I shut up and go away . But he insults BBN and doesnt win very well , so here we are .

^^ to point out how weird and bizarre Cal was at the presser ? Oh I forgot , we are supposed to just accept that Cal is bizarre and not discuss it the next am ?

You leave out terrible losses to Kansas St twice , a bunch of bad home losses , I mean a TON of bad home losses , and in general his record Vs top 25 teams and even overall the past 3 years is not up to Ky standards . Yes by every way possible I dislike the guy , but he recruits AND wins then I shut up and go away . But he insults BBN and doesnt win very well , so here we are .
Doesn't win very well? I believe we still have the most tournament wins since Cal has been here. He is winning approximately 77% of his games which is currently 3rd among active coaches. He has been to the EE in 10 of the past 15 seasons. He wins just fine. You just don't think he wins enough especially the last few years. The funny thing is your criticisms aren't about the wins though. I haven't seen you say anything about that. It is always about things other than his actual coaching like I mentioned above.

Reactions: Rockfly78
He praised Reed for about 10 seconds in the entire press conference. He actually mentioned Wagner more, and he spent more time talking critically about Sheppard than he did positively.

And before someone says it was just a motivation tactic, they need to remember that Cal's done this with Sheppard a number of times. Meanwhile, DJ gets a couple baskets and Cal goes on for 8 minutes about how hard he's worked, how injured he's been, and how Cal still believes in him.

He did the same crap with Edwards before the 28 point breakout game.

He's like a dad whose kid (Sheppard) bring home a 95% on their test, and the dad immediately asks, "What could you have done to have received that 100%?"

Then the other sons (Edwards, Bradshaw, and Wagner) bring home 75% and 80% scores and the dad says, "We're going out to celebrate with pizza and ice cream tonight, boys!"
Man if you don't understand what he's doing I can't help you, but I'll tell you anyway. He is building up DJ's confidence just like he did with Justin, he has done it numerous times over the years. He knows just like any other rational UK fan we are going to need all of these young men to be the best version of them self.

• Haha
Reactions: ManitouDan
Cal saying he called the last play for Wagner is just mind blowing! If the dude resigned last year, it wouldn’t be soon enough! What an absolute joke of a HC💯

Cal saying he called the last play for Wagner is just mind blowing! If the dude resigned last year, it wouldn’t be soon enough! What an absolute joke of a HC💯
And it worked...DJ made the right decision and passed to Reed who was being guarded by someone he could beat off the dribble due to a switch...Cal never said the play had to be a DJ shot...He said he told DJ to go make a play and DJ did...That plan wasn't a bad idea...DJ has proven to be able to beat his man off the dribble to get to the basket...They helped off on defense to prevent the drive and it resulted in a slower defender on Reed..DJ didn't force anything and passed to Reed who was able to get by his defender for a floater...seems like pretty good coaching to me.

Reactions: davtay
And it worked...DJ made the right decision and passed to Reed who was being guarded by someone he could beat off the dribble due to a switch...Cal never said the play had to be a DJ shot...He said he told DJ to go make a play and DJ did...That plan wasn't a bad idea...DJ has proven to be able to beat his man off the dribble to get to the basket...They helped off on defense to prevent the drive and it resulted in a slower defender on Reed..DJ didn't force anything and passed to Reed who was able to get by his defender for a floater...seems like pretty good coaching to me.
Serendipity isn't good coaching.

Reactions: crestcat
My god. Some of yall just like to bitch. Can’t even win without whining about a damn press conference.

Remeber Cal’s comments to Tipton years ago about throwing a rock into a pack of rabid dogs and the one who gets hit yelps the loudest. Cal’s comments are the rock snd some of yall are the hit dogs.

Just ignore him. Trust me. It’s easier.

You leave out terrible losses to Kansas St twice
Last year's loss to Kansas St. isn't a terrible loss. If you're a 6 seed and you lose to a 3 seed it cannot be a terrible loss. Everyone gets way to caught up with the name on the front of the jerseys. Kansas St. was a very good team last year regardless of the lack historical success of their program.

Is Cal a better coach if Luke Maye misses that shot in 2017? What if we lose early in 2014 to miss the F4 but beat Auburn in 2018 to make the F4? Is Cal a better coach? We have the same number of F4s in that scenario they just happen differently? I would argue if that happens, he isn't getting nearly the same amount of crap today.
I have been trying to make this point for a long time on this board and people just don't understand it. You can easily make the case that the first half of Cal's tenure was full of luck the second half hasn't had.

Brandon Knight had to hit basically a buzzer beater against Princeton to even get out of the first round in 2011. Plus the shot he hit against OSU. Both of those could have just not gone in.Or Aaron Harrison's string of crazy shots in 2014.

Like you said, simply change the results of Knights shot against OSU and Maye's shot against us and things look a whole lot different. There's a very high chance 2017 is a title if we beat UNC.

Reactions: TCurtis75
I think it’s obvious there is some pressure building on Cal about Reed and Dilly. Seems like he tries to justify starting DJ quite a bit.
He is talking to NBA personnel when building up DJ.
He didn’t touch a ball in two weeks!!!!!

Stfu and publicly thank Reed for bailing out your ass

As soon as he sits down he has his Billy Gillispie moment of "This isn't the University of Reed Sheppard," blasting the LITERAL HERO OF THE GAME for throwing a long pass. I swear if I was Jeff I would tell my son to declare at the end of the season and get the hell out from under this sh**show of a coach. The guy clearly can't STAND the fact that Sheppard outplays ALL of his favorites on the team. (And him NOT starting Sheppard will come back to bite us in the tournament. We'll get down early to the wrong team and that'll be curtains.)

The very NEXT comment he goes off on the fans for him not calling timeout. And then he blasts the fans for saying he should foul with 16 seconds to go. "STOP! JUST LET ME COACH THE TEAM!" He was PISSED.

The man is very thin skinned, to start off with. He's very aware of fan criticism and he doesn't like it.

But here's the thing. You calbois are always whining about people finding things to be concerned about after the game.

"Why can't you just enjoy the win, for like an hour, Cal?" Maybe you bois should direct that question to him for a change.
Agree with all of this . He is a jerk and an embarrassment

Not starting Reed got us down 12-3 and it took a buzzer beater by the NONstarter to lift us out of Calipari's incompetent coaching.
Yeah the start of both halves with Cals starters put us in a hole both times. I can't be the only one who watches for the 17 min. mark each fame nervously. Cal even had to skip that rule and bring g them in at the 18 mark last game. Cals stubbornness is a 8-10 point handicap. You could clearly see that last night to begin both halves. He makes things hard for no reason.

You want to have Rob come off the bench to be a jolt and our 6th man, ok sure. But noway in hell should we start each half of every game with Reed, Rob and Z all on the bench. With Cals starting lineup we have 1 shooter out there. I mean sure DJ, Edwards and Theiro can knock a shot down, but our purest shooters are Reeves, Reed and Rob and we start with 2 of the 3 on the bench.

I'm guessing there is a staff member or a family member wearing out the keyboard in here today ... lol .. go coach. !!!

100% a lie about Cal "putting down" Reed.

He said he wanted to choke Reed and then praised him and said he plays to win and is steady and then joked about some things and said that he was joking because Reed was in the back of the room.

You are either blinded by hate or lying.... Or both

Two different things the OP is talking about his comments on the radio with Tom Leach it’s a 3 part he never complimented Reed but if it had been one of his boys Wagner or Edwards he went have gone on and on
You heard the press conference with the media

There is not a person on this planet more FOS than Cal. I stopped listening to anything that man says years ago. Everything he says is self serving and he speaks down to his perceived critics as much as possible. He has zero humility and will take credit for anything and everything then dodge responsibility in the same sentence.

I will not listen to this PC, but based on my past experiences will assume this is true. One thing I will say is that his BS is effective sometimes and propping kids up who are struggling. Which I am fine with and think is beneficial. Doing it at the same time you are at least somewhat taking credit from another player that saved his ass is not only unnecessary, but just wrong.

I'm not making up anything. He blasted Reed immediately when he sat down. Downplayed his performance and put him down. The quote you just mentioned was a putdown, not a compliment. Which is ironic, since he ALSO defended his OWN decision not to foul under 16 seconds. And he questioned his decisionmaking.

I understand from your response that you don't remember the Billy G moment or when/why it was said. Otherwise you wouldn't make such a stupid statement.
did you catch the part he said Reed was standing right there in the room that's why he said it . Your self importance is amazing

I hope he cracks like a ripe watermelon .. but you are dead on balls accurate , He's feeling the heat ( thank God) and he hated ... HATED , Reed got all the glory . I didnt hear a coach happy for a player in that press conference . I didnt hear a coach happy at all.
He looked relieved…which makes sense.

As soon as he sits down he has his Billy Gillispie moment of "This isn't the University of Reed Sheppard," blasting the LITERAL HERO OF THE GAME for throwing a long pass. I swear if I was Jeff I would tell my son to declare at the end of the season and get the hell out from under this sh**show of a coach. The guy clearly can't STAND the fact that Sheppard outplays ALL of his favorites on the team. (And him NOT starting Sheppard will come back to bite us in the tournament. We'll get down early to the wrong team and that'll be curtains.)

The very NEXT comment he goes off on the fans for him not calling timeout. And then he blasts the fans for saying he should foul with 16 seconds to go. "STOP! JUST LET ME COACH THE TEAM!" He was PISSED.

The man is very thin skinned, to start off with. He's very aware of fan criticism and he doesn't like it.

But here's the thing. You calbois are always whining about people finding things to be concerned about after the game.

"Why can't you just enjoy the win, for like an hour, Cal?" Maybe you bois should direct that question to him for a change.
Reed is great for sure but we all know the thoughts I think Rex, Chapman said it best 2024 and still issues

But we should have run offense to get a better shot than a rusher not in rhythm 25 foot heat check three. While I didn’t necessarily mind the shot because I think every 3 Reed takes is going in, it was a bad shot.
We’ll just have to disagree. I thought it was fine.

I hope he cracks like a ripe watermelon .. but you are dead on balls accurate , He's feeling the heat ( thank God) and he hated ... HATED , Reed got all the glory . I didnt hear a coach happy for a player in that press conference . I didnt hear a coach happy at all.
Absolutely delusional

That is TOTALLY on Cal!!

Hubbard should have been denied the ball or doubled so he couldn't get it!!!

The same situation as the end of the Florida game where Cal ALLOWED their hot shooter to get the ball.

The errant Reed pass would not have even mattered had Cal not let Hubbard get those 3's!!!!
Run What GIF by G2 Esports

did you catch the part he said Reed was standing right there in the room that's why he said it . Your self importance is amazing
It was pretty clear he was joking at the end when Reed entered the room. He was also laughing a bit at the beginning with his criticism. I'm beginning to think people who always get up in arms about Cal just haven't spent much time around people who use sarcasm like he does.

I'm from a big Italian family in the northeast and half the stuff Cal says is exactly how my family and I talk to each other when we're being friendly. Giving someone a hard time sarcastically is how we show endearment.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT