ADVERTISEMENT

Vaught says Mitchell is hurt

Because Cal allowed him to sit. His handlers suggested it and Cap made the call to allow it. Cal as the coach should control his team not the damn handlers of the players. Total lack-of-control on Cal’s part
I think you’re almost all the way there. I agree that it’s Cal’s fault. I don’t think it was all about Sharpe and his handlers though. I think Sharpe was ready to play when he showed up. Things changed.

So we went from annual run on turned ankles to now annual run on back issues. So many guys the last few years having back issues is no coincidence. We need to evaluate ourselves and stop what's causing it.

Also it could be the consistent overplaying older guys that cal loves to do. Iirc Mitchell leads the sec in minutes. Grady and Reeves wore down last two years.

I’ve apologize to Mitchell. I know he looked out of whack. He tried so hard I’m embarrassed I was doubting and criticizing him.

Let him get healthy.

Had I known he was hurting wouldn’t have judged his effort

Reactions: Cold Stout Beer
Grady and Reeves wore down last two years
Reeves wore down? What are you talking about? First, he only played 28 minutes a game. Second, he was on fire the last half of the year. He had a bad shooting night agains K State but that had nothing to do with wearing down. He scored 81 points the previous 3 games.

Mitchell went from being reliable glue guy to Skal practically overnight...I figured there was a valid reason.
Mitchell went from the offense being run through him with high screen and roll, pick and pop for open 3s, etc. until Bradshaw and Onyenso returned.

Cal has since buried him in the paint with his back to the basket and is running the offense through the guards and utilizing Onyenso/Bradshaw in the pick and roll to get his guards into the lane so they can throw up some wild contested shot.

Cal took away Mitchell's opportunity at a strong season which could have led to possibly getting drafted.
Now he resembles any other scrub who never gets his number called.

The guy is pissed and I don't blame him one bit. And it shows on the court.

Last edited:
He has been wearing that brace around his core while on the bench for quite a few games now. Looks like he's lost weight as well. Not sure what it all means. Just an observation.

Mitchell has been probably our steadiest player up until 2 games ago. He killed us in the florida game, didnt understand why Coach Clown didnt put Big Z in for several of his minutes, especially is he knew Mitchell was hurting. That even makes it more criminal than before.

When Burks plays against high level comp in fast paced physical games we all complain because he drops passes, misses wide open layups, loses the ball out of bounds etc. He is not ready to contribute in SEC play yet. He is a below average freshman. That is why he isn’t getting on the court now.
But sometimes they play better than they practice so give them all a chance.

Maybe it would be easier to name the players that don’t have injuries and or mystery illnesses that aren’t contagious so guys can sit on the bench.

This is why you develop Burks when you see Edwards just doesn’t have it.
How does on "develop" a player ? You make it sound like you just pop them in a microwave, 2 minutes later, Presto. I 1st round draft pick !!!! If Edwards is not "developed" what makes you think Burks can? What I have witnessed from Burks is, he is not ready to play extended minutes. Edwards has least shown SOME. With him the talent is there, the mental is not. Do you really think if Burks was that easy to plug and play, Cal would not give him run ? Answer honestly, I get it, you do not like Cal, and that is OK just do not cloud reality because of it.

How does on "develop" a player ? You make it sound like you just pop them in a microwave, 2 minutes later, Presto. I 1st round draft pick !!!! If Edwards is not "developed" what makes you think Burks can? What I have witnessed from Burks is, he is not ready to play extended minutes. Edwards has least shown SOME. With him the talent is there, the mental is not. Do you really think if Burks was that easy to plug and play, Cal would not give him run ? Answer honestly, I get it, you do not like Cal, and that is OK just do not cloud reality because of it.
Easy, turbo. I think what he means is, Burks is a multi year player, so let's get him some run so he can start developing for his entire college career. He's not a one and doner. Of course Edwards is better, but Edwards is too flaky to be a starter. But that's a different conversation.

Reactions: ukjenning44
Easy, turbo. I think what he means is, Burks is a multi year player, so let's get him some run so he can start developing for his entire college career. He's not a one and doner. Of course Edwards is better, but Edwards is too flaky to be a starter. But that's a different conversation.
Of course Burks is a multi year player. Same with Hart. So you are Ok with benching people that can help NOW in favor of "developing" Burks ? Maybe I misunderstood your post, if so I apologize. I do agree, Edwards only deserves spot minutes at this point and time. But to start throwing young guys who are not near ready, to the wolves is not the answer either. We just have to wait it out and HOPE these guys get pissed off and show some pride to buckle down and play a semblance of defense. I mean just a LITTLE defense and this team would have won every game but the SC one. Not 40 minutes, hell just 10 would do.
Think about that, if they just play SOME defense we would be fine.

So we have 2 bigs coming off big foot injuries, Adou with back issues, DJ with a bad ankle, Edwards is hurt (?), Big Z has food poisoning or something, and now Tre is hurt?

I mean, at some point, you just don't have enough bodies. Every night another guy or two are out or not healthy, and the roster changes yet again.

Two things CAN be true here: 1. Cal needs to go, he is part of the problem, but 2. sometimes unforeseen things happen. No coach is winning with these injuries.

I dont think I've EVER seen this amount of injuries plague one single team. I said in another thread, we have more injuries on this one team than some teams have in a decade. Football teams don't even have this high a percentage of injuries. Did Cal and UK sell it's soul, those first 5-6 years, or something?

Of course Burks is a multi year player. Same with Hart. So you are Ok with benching people that can help NOW in favor of "developing" Burks ? Maybe I misunderstood your post, if so I apologize. I do agree, Edwards only deserves spot minutes at this point and time. But to start throwing young guys who are not near ready, to the wolves is not the answer either. We just have to wait it out and HOPE these guys get pissed off and show some pride to buckle down and play a semblance of defense. I mean just a LITTLE defense and this team would have won every game but the SC one. Not 40 minutes, hell just 10 would do.
Think about that, if they just play SOME defense we would be fine.
Burks plays with a lot of energy. He gets nervous but he gets jerked out of the game without being given the same opportunity to make a mistake as some others.

He lead Overtime Elite in scoring last season averaging 27.1 ppg along with 7.5 rebounds. He needs and deserves some minutes to see what he can really do.

That was the beginning of the end for me.
What took you so long???
Cal has been the same guy since signing that big contract.

Arrogant, condescending to fans, dedicated to HIS cause. Hell bent on showing the fans (Bennies) that he doesn't GAD about UK (other than the money) and will coach his team as he dam well pleases, win or lose.

Winning games doesn't matter to him anymore. If it ever did.

Either that, or he has completely lost his ability to coach at this level.

Reactions: ukjenning44
What took you so long???
Cal has been the same guy since signing that big contract.

Arrogant, condescending to fans, dedicated to HIS cause. Hell bent on showing the fans (Bennies) that he doesn't GAD about UK (other than the money) and will coach his team as he dam well pleases, win or lose.

Winning games doesn't matter to him anymore. If it ever did.

Either that, or he has completely lost his ability to coach at this level.
2019 we were a shot away from the FF.

2020 we had our issues, but won the SEC regular season. Covid left things unfinished.

2021 was a nightmare. I was at the point then that one more year is all I could muster to support Cal.

Shaedon Sharpe happened then St. Peter’s happened.

The end.

2019 we were a shot away from the FF.

2020 we had our issues, but won the SEC regular season. Covid left things unfinished.

2021 was a nightmare. I was at the point then that one more year is all I could muster to support Cal.

Shaedon Sharpe happened then St. Peter’s happened.

The end.
My concerns with Cal's coaching began in 2013.

How many coaches lose one player to injury and go from NCAA contender to NIT failure??

Then 2015 happened.
Then 2016, 17, 18, 19, rinse repeat, 20 horrible, 21, sorry, 22 sad, 23 unacceptable.

But the red flags have been there for over a decade. Cal is a mediocre coach at best.

His best days are long passed.

He needs to move on for everyone's sake, including his own.

Imagine that, play a guy 35+ minutes every game and he wears down by February.

Never happened before, total new to our team.....

How many coaches lose one player to injury and go from NCAA contender to NIT failure??

Then 2015 happened.
Then 2016, 17, 18, 19, rinse repeat, 20 horrible, 21, sorry, 22 sad, 23 unacceptable.

But the red flags have been there for over a decade. Cal is a mediocre coach at best.

2010 was a red flag but 2011 and 2012 sorta blinded us to the truth. 2015 was 2010 all over again.

Reactions: cathouse

Then 2015 happened.

We could quibble over this all day. I had no issue with 2013 coming off a Title. Nerlens was nasty, and that’s probably a Sweet 16 team if healthy.

Kind of hard to hate on Cal for 14 and 15 either, until the very end.

16 was annoying, but still, coming off 38 straight…

17 was a fantastic team.

18 was when things soured, imo. Vanderbilt drama. Losing a Sweet 16 rock fight to a weak team. But again, one shot from the Final Four the next year.

I have no problem saying we have been trending down since April of 2015. I’m just not going to act like Cal didn’t have some decently impressive results in 17 and 19.

Reactions: cathouse
We could quibble over this all day. I had no issue with 2013 coming off a Title. Nerlens was nasty, and that’s probably a Sweet 16 team if healthy.

Kind of hard to hate on Cal for 14 and 15 either, until the very end.

16 was annoying, but still, coming off 38 straight…

17 was a fantastic team.

18 was when things soured, imo. Vanderbilt drama. Losing a Sweet 16 rock fight to a weak team. But again, one shot from the Final Four the next year.

I have no problem saying we have been trending down since April of 2015. I’m just not going to act like Cal didn’t have some decently impressive results in 17 and 19.
I understand. That was 5 years ago.

Reactions: Aike
2010 was a red flag but 2011 and 2012 sorta blinded us to the truth. 2015 was 2010 all over again.
Yeah. That WVA 1-3-1 zone spoke volumes about our head coach's ability to make in game adjustments.

That wasn't an aberration.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT