ADVERTISEMENT

We need pre-back injury Tre Mitchell for this tournament

It's not just the pure stats though, he is actively hurting the team with his play lately. You have to consider though, the first set of stats you have there were against mostly chaff teams.
The first set of Mitchell "chaff" game stats included NCAA tourney teams:
Florida (1-6), TAM (1-13), Miss St (1-17) and S. Carolina (1-23)...........

The second set of Mitchell "non-chaff" game stats included NCAA tourney teams:
Florida (1-31), Tenn (2-3), Tenn (3-9), TAM (3-15)............

Reactions: IL Wildcat
He’s seemed pretty happy on the bench going through antics with the walk-ons after big plays.

Last edited:
The first set of Mitchell "chaff" game stats included NCAA tourney teams:
Florida (1-6), TAM (1-13), Miss St (1-17) and S. Carolina (1-23)...........

The second set of Mitchell "non-chaff" game stats included NCAA tourney teams:
Florida (1-31), Tenn (2-3), Tenn (3-9), TAM (3-15)............
What are you trying to say here? That when looking at the entire body of the schedule between your two sets are comparable in terms of strength? Cuz if you are........

I don’t care if he is huge against Oakland. He doesn’t have to be. We have enough gunpowder to get this team out of the way. He needs to be huge when it matters. I can’t believe anyone thinks Oakland matters. I’m not trying to pick apart your opinion, just really surprised that the first round even matters for UK. We used to be better than debating a first round opponent. I used to be looking a the Sweet 16 before the tournament started. It doesn’t seem so much anymore. If he doesn’t shine, bring in the next one to win in the first 20 minutes and demoralize someone and make the rest scared. Mitchelle shouldn’t be debatable although I hope he kills it.
Welcome to the new age of college basketball where no one is immune to huge upsets and 16s can and do beat 1s. I hate it too but it is what it is.

Welcome to the new age of college basketball where no one is immune to huge upsets and 16s can and do beat 1s. I hate it too but it is what it is.
You’re right to an extent. Did you you see all the awards, all the McD’s all stars, all the talk, the Dickie V pick… the parts are there.

I don’t care if somebody scores 50, this team should be good enough to overcome. Your comment makes me want to believe UT Martin should win it all. This is UK dude. C’mon.

Reactions: FiveStarCat
Come on OP.

The dude was playing the 5, which was advantageous for him.

He was at his best against bad non-conference competition.

He’s been a defensive liability all season.

Adou and Justin should man the 4 spot for all 40 minutes.

Tre is 0/14 from deep in his last 7 games and down to 31.3% in the year. Thiero and Edwards shoot at a better percentage.

You’re right to an extent. Did you you see all the awards, all the McD’s all stars, all the talk, the Dickie V pick… the parts are there.

I don’t care if somebody scores 50, this team should be good enough to overcome. Your comment makes me want to believe UT Martin should win it all. This is UK dude. C’mon.
Trust me, I’m going to be pissed with anything less than an Elite 8 loss to Houston. But it’s hard to ignore the signs that college basketball has reached a historic level of parity. Our peers haven’t been immune to it either

I know some of you have pretty much given up on Tre Mitchell contributing very much to the team at this point, but when Mitchell was playing well early in the season, we actually had contributions from our bigs. He was guarding guys who were much bigger than him and holding his own, in my opinion. He's the only guy we have who has shown he can score with his back to the basket. He was also doing very well in the mid-range, catching the ball in the middle of the zone and making shots at the elbow and in the lane. And early in the year, he was playing that stretch 4 or 5 and making bank out there shooting the 3. We need THAT version of Mitchell in this tournament if we're going to go very far. He has struggled shooting the ball since late January. But he's had time to heal and get back into the groove now. I hope he will make an appearance. I think we will need Mitchell before all is said and done.
It would help us tremendously honestly. Him being hurt and not productive has hurt us really bad these last couple weeks.

We don't need 100% Tre til 10 days from now but he will be great against Oakland's zone with his passing at 90%. Let's win that game.

Go Cats!

You're wrong on this one. Tre has contributed significantly this season. Yes, he hasn't been the same since being injured. No, it's not laziness. Texas A&M was filled with difficult matchups for Tre. You're apparently unable to give credit where it's due. Earlier in the season, there were multiple games we either don't win or we struggle to win without his contributions. If you can't admit that, you're not even worth arguing because you're clueless.

And I didn't say Tre Mitchell is the most important player or even that he is the key to the team. Reading comprehension is your friend. I said we need the earlier version of him before his back got injured. That version of him gives us a couple things we have struggled with as a team.

1. Defending back to the basket centers with some strength.
2. Providing mid-range shooting in the lane.
3. Providing a stretch 4 or 5
4. Rebounding.

If Tre is healthy, he can contribute in all these ways. As for your comments on Wheeler, he is not Tre Mitchell. Totally different players, different positions on the floor, and if you can't decipher that, well, we're done here. No sense in attempting to argue anything with someone who doesn't even know the game.

By the way, you offered ZERO evidence for your position on Tre and you offered ZERO answers for the evidence I gave. Game. Set. Match.
Tre was slumping a while before his injury

Tennessee loss 0-3 in 24 minutes
Florida loss 2-10 in 33 minute
Arkansas win 3-10 in 38 minutes

Tre has missed his last 14 3pt tries…not sure we can risk an empty game from him and take minutes from Ivisic at Center or Thiero /edwards at the small ball forward lineups

I hope you are right, especially that I think he could be a “dagger” in a couple games from now. The problem is, do you put your faith in an anomaly of the T A&M games where it was obvious the officials were an interference to normal play, which led to more Mitchelle more playing more than those who got better? I doubt it. He might be important, later, but I sure don’t want to plant the next six games on his production. We do… We loose. I’ll eat all the “crow” coming if he does. Please prove me wrong Tre’ if you can hear this. I’ll be watching. I really am rooting for you. Truly!!!
There will be no need for crow eating. I'm not making any predictions here. He may come out and lay an egg. He played very poorly in the late SEC schedule. If he's playing like that, he doesn't need to be in there. But he did show some signs of life in the A&M game- namely 6pts and 9rebounds. I think he could help against a zone heavy team. The early season Mitchell who was making those mid-range shots and 3pt shots, passing well, throwing dimes, leading the team in rebounding- that version of Mitchell could help against a zone. The late season Mitchell wouldn't help much against anyone. All I'm saying is I'd love to see the pre-injury Mitchell. That's all. I'm not predicting he will show up. Just hoping, for the team's sake, that he may make an appearance.

But no crow bro. And no "I told you so" from me, either, because I didn't predict this will definitely happen, unlike Mr Mcnugget here is accusing. 🤣

Reactions: catben
Need to sit Mitchell and play Theiro, Z, Edwards, and Onyenso.

I would even say give Burks run with directions to do nothing but try and lock somebody down on defense

No Tre, PLEASE….
To late for his rejoining what we have

I guess we shall see mcnic. We'll see. Are you hoping he falls on his face so you can be right? That would be a sad state of affairs, but I think you're pretty close to being there.

Here's my last word on the topic. If he is playing terrible, I don't want him on the floor. Period. But if he is playing like he did before the injury, he can contribute. A healthy Mitchell could especially help against a zone defense. That's all I want. I hope that when he gets in, he does well. Don't you?

Edit: by the way, there is no "infatuation" here. Re-read my comments. IF he's playing well, he could help. That's the entire point of the thread. If he's not, take him out. Does that sound like infatuation to you? And by the way, aren't we cheering for the same team? You argue with this anger and aggression that I just don't understand.

Accusing someone of hoping that a guy plays poorly seems like a weird thing to do.

We’re hoping that he doesn’t play more than 7 to 10 minutes, so that he hurts the team less. I’ll be rooting the guy on in whatever minutes he gets, but if he gets more than 10 minutes, it will almost certainly be detrimental. With the current version of Mitchell, I do think it’s best that he not play at all - but of course that’s not going to happen.

It has become abundantly clear that Thiero and Edwards are the only guys who need to be playing the 4. Mitchell is a huge liability at that position.

Reactions: RunninRichie
I know some of you have pretty much given up on Tre Mitchell contributing very much to the team at this point, but when Mitchell was playing well early in the season, we actually had contributions from our bigs. He was guarding guys who were much bigger than him and holding his own, in my opinion. He's the only guy we have who has shown he can score with his back to the basket. He was also doing very well in the mid-range, catching the ball in the middle of the zone and making shots at the elbow and in the lane. And early in the year, he was playing that stretch 4 or 5 and making bank out there shooting the 3. We need THAT version of Mitchell in this tournament if we're going to go very far. He has struggled shooting the ball since late January. But he's had time to heal and get back into the groove now. I hope he will make an appearance. I think we will need Mitchell before all is said and done.
We need someone that can score inside 5 ft. He may be the only one

Tre Mitchell sucks and should not be playing. He is the laziest player, by far, on the court. Please tell me you saw his sad attempt defensively and trying to contest shots against TAMU. The guy is a joke and should not be on the court. The fact that we have fans still advocating for him to play is ridiculous. He is not good.

Also, you are the same guy last year who was all about flippin Sahvir Wheeler playing point over Cason Wallace. You defended that until you were blue in the face, even though anybody who know anything about basketball knew Wheeler should be coming off the bench sparingly, and playing no more then 5 min a game. You were proven to be 100% wrong on that take.

It is the exact same with Tre. He is a detriment to the team when he plays. If you get your way, you will find that out the hard way, unfortunately.
You are so wrong about Mitchell. Wow.

Mitchell will be the key to us successfully navigating a zone. With him at the free throw line, he can turn and shoot or is smart enough to pass to the open man.
I wish 7-2 Z would take up the high post as well......he would be great at doing this.

I used to get neck spasms regularly. I walked like a man auditioning to be a mad scientist's underling. I understand that back spasms and back pain get your attention like little else. Maybe burns, childbirth, and kidney stones.

You'd hope that people who had even once simply heard of severe pain would be a bit more understanding. The kind of insulting things said of Mitchell here are beyond alarming and well into saddening.
I have had two back surgeries and the pain that came before them was horrible. Renders you helpless and useless. Pretty obvious he has been hurting but he is trying. I hate to see people on this board who don’t know what they are talking about berate one of our players because the player is hurt and can’t go full bore. Blame it on Cal if you are going to blame. He doesn’t know where and when to play most of the team, and that is not Mitchell’s fault.

I guess we shall see mcnic. We'll see. Are you hoping he falls on his face so you can be right? That would be a sad state of affairs, but I think you're pretty close to being there.

Here's my last word on the topic. If he is playing terrible, I don't want him on the floor. Period. But if he is playing like he did before the injury, he can contribute. A healthy Mitchell could especially help against a zone defense. That's all I want. I hope that when he gets in, he does well. Don't you?

Edit: by the way, there is no "infatuation" here. Re-read my comments. IF he's playing well, he could help. That's the entire point of the thread. If he's not, take him out. Does that sound like infatuation to you? And by the way, aren't we cheering for the same team? You argue with this anger and aggression that I just don't understand.
He is clueless and there is no sense responding to him

Here is what this boils down to...and it's a good debate to be honest.

1. If you want to play Mitchell...he has to play PF or C. So whose minutes do you want to reduce?
2. If it's at Center
- I want Ivisic to get 20 minutes at least...I feel Mitchell directly eats into Ivisic's minutes.
- Cal has his defense boner concept that will never go away...and since Ugo is the strongest defender...he's going to get some run
- Bradshaw has almost lost all minutes...but seems like Cal gives him 4 minutes regardless
3. If Mitchell plays PF
- We get much slower if he's paired with Ugo/Ivisic as the Center when he plays
- I think Thiero is a better shot blocker, better on ball defender (on switches) and a bit less rebounder...but not by much IMO. On offensive end, Thiero is a far superior ball handler, drives it better, stronger finisher. Most imagine Tre is a better shooter but Thiero is shooting 31.8% from 3pt land and Tre 31.3% from 3pt land. So it's a wash...Tre has been ice cold before his shoulder injury and even colder since.
- Edwards is a better shooter, ball handler....but less rebounder and strong post presence. But Edwards is quicker and better on ball screens defense

To me this boils down to....Tre is our best post offense but his deep shooting has been non existent for a while. Tre doesn't really add any defense which is what this team needs more than any offense.

I just think we found a killer lineup with:
PG - Reed
SG - Dilly
SG/SF - Reeves
PF - Thiero (or Edwards)
C - Ivisic

This lineup is amazing offensively and not a huge drop-off defensively/rebounding from guys like DJ, Ugo, Mitchell, Bradshaw, etc.. playing in different combinations. I just feel like Cal doesn't need a reason to play slower lineups which is what Mitchell gives him a reason to do.

We have better options imo. The lineup with Edwards or Theiro at the 4 is our best. Z is the best center and changes our team if he’s allowed to play more.
Z
reed
rob
reeves
And one of the two that’s playing the best or matches up best.

Here is what this boils down to...and it's a good debate to be honest.

1. If you want to play Mitchell...he has to play PF or C. So whose minutes do you want to reduce?
2. If it's at Center
- I want Ivisic to get 20 minutes at least...I feel Mitchell directly eats into Ivisic's minutes.
- Cal has his defense boner concept that will never go away...and since Ugo is the strongest defender...he's going to get some run
- Bradshaw has almost lost all minutes...but seems like Cal gives him 4 minutes regardless
3. If Mitchell plays PF
- We get much slower if he's paired with Ugo/Ivisic as the Center when he plays
- I think Thiero is a better shot blocker, better on ball defender (on switches) and a bit less rebounder...but not by much IMO. On offensive end, Thiero is a far superior ball handler, drives it better, stronger finisher. Most imagine Tre is a better shooter but Thiero is shooting 31.8% from 3pt land and Tre 31.3% from 3pt land. So it's a wash...Tre has been ice cold before his shoulder injury and even colder since.
- Edwards is a better shooter, ball handler....but less rebounder and strong post presence. But Edwards is quicker and better on ball screens defense

To me this boils down to....Tre is our best post offense but his deep shooting has been non existent for a while. Tre doesn't really add any defense which is what this team needs more than any offense.

I just think we found a killer lineup with:
PG - Reed
SG - Dilly
SG/SF - Reeves
PF - Thiero (or Edwards)
C - Ivisic

This lineup is amazing offensively and not a huge drop-off defensively/rebounding from guys like DJ, Ugo, Mitchell, Bradshaw, etc.. playing in different combinations. I just feel like Cal doesn't need a reason to play slower lineups which is what Mitchell gives him a reason to do.
You’re smart. I didn’t see that until I posted. Let’s hope we see that lineup often. I’d like to know how long they’ve played together this season.

Z changes the game offensively and his D isn’t as bad as many say.

Reactions: bfawns and K_TIME
Mitchell’s play since returning from injury is quite odd to me. I’ve watched games on tv and I was at the SEC tournament and he isn’t moving his feet at all. He’s reaching at his waist for everything and if he can’t get to the ball or get good position, he’s so aggressive in his fouls. I can remember a couple of plays where I could see them calling a flagrant one on his just because his fouls were so aggressive. It is one of the more bizarre things I can remember a player doing. It’s like he doesn’t care anymore. And I hope I’m wrong and he’s just upset at himself for not being fully right yet.

We do need him to play like he did but unfortunately I don’t think he can play with a 7’ on the floor
And we all know Cal loves size whether they can play or not

Bilas correctly has Mitchell as a X factor.

His X-factor for Kentucky? Tre Mitchell.

The senior forward has struggled since coming back from injury at the end of the regular season, but earlier this year he was arguably the most important player to this young Kentucky team. If that comes to fruition again, this team becomes much scarier to opponents.

As to whether or not the Golden Grizzlies can pull off the shocker, Bilas says they have a ‘mild’ chance of upsetting Kentucky.

In the Round of 32, Bilas has Kentucky facing the Texas Tech Red Raiders after taking down NC State. That’s another game Bilas sees the Wildcats winning if it comes to fruition.

Bilas correctly has Mitchell as a X factor.

His X-factor for Kentucky? Tre Mitchell.

The senior forward has struggled since coming back from injury at the end of the regular season, but earlier this year he was arguably the most important player to this young Kentucky team. If that comes to fruition again, this team becomes much scarier to opponents.

As to whether or not the Golden Grizzlies can pull off the shocker, Bilas says they have a ‘mild’ chance of upsetting Kentucky.

In the Round of 32, Bilas has Kentucky facing the Texas Tech Red Raiders after taking down NC State. That’s another game Bilas sees the Wildcats winning if it comes to fruition.
Yeah, I agree with him. He's not a key player by any stretch, but if he can play as he did earlier in the season, he could be an x-factor. If he can't play as well as before, we have better options. I'm sure he will get on the floor at some point. When he does, I'm hoping for some of that early-season magic we saw.

Reactions: Smashcat
Come on OP.

The dude was playing the 5, which was advantageous for him.

He was at his best against bad non-conference competition.

He’s been a defensive liability all season.

Adou and Justin should man the 4 spot for all 40 minutes.

Tre is 0/14 from deep in his last 7 games and down to 31.3% in the year. Thiero and Edwards shoot at a better percentage.
I think Shep, Dilly, and Reeves should start and play 35 minutes per game, getting spelled 2.5 minutes each during the middle of the half leaving 15 minutes for DJ. Yes, play either Edwards or Thiero all 40 at the 4 and rotate Ugo, Z, and Mitchell at the 5 depending on matchups and who is bringing it that night(Z should get 20+ most nights).

If Cal could do that this team could easily win a championship.
But keep starting DJ, Reeves, Edwards, Thiero, and Ugo and we'll dig ourselves into a hole at the start of each half until we dig one too deep to get out of; that's why we've lost several games this year and there is no way we could go 6 games without it happening again.

There will be no need for crow eating. I'm not making any predictions here. He may come out and lay an egg. He played very poorly in the late SEC schedule. If he's playing like that, he doesn't need to be in there. But he did show some signs of life in the A&M game- namely 6pts and 9rebounds. I think he could help against a zone heavy team. The early season Mitchell who was making those mid-range shots and 3pt shots, passing well, throwing dimes, leading the team in rebounding- that version of Mitchell could help against a zone. The late season Mitchell wouldn't help much against anyone. All I'm saying is I'd love to see the pre-injury Mitchell. That's all. I'm not predicting he will show up. Just hoping, for the team's sake, that he may make an appearance.

But no crow bro. And no "I told you so" from me, either, because I didn't predict this will definitely happen, unlike Mr Mcnugget here is accusing. 🤣
He is not a rim protector or great defending in the Post, but he WILL block out and rebound which Bradshaw and Big Z struggle doing, Ugo does also against physical Bigs. That's where he could help the most.

I would REALLY love to see him get his 3 pt shot back because that makes us even harder to defend. But as others have said, he sees the floor well and can pass much better than the other 3 Bigs. Playing him at the 4 is just not something I would like to see unless he's on the floor with Big Z.

He could be a very good asset if we could get the early season Tre back!!!!

Trey was a little better vs TAMU. Honestly we just need someone from Mitchell, Z, Onyenso, Bradshaw playing well, and either Theiro or Edwards or Wagner playing well. I'm counting on the 3 R's playing well.

I think Shep, Dilly, and Reeves should start and play 35 minutes per game, getting spelled 2.5 minutes each during the middle of the half leaving 15 minutes for DJ. Yes, play either Edwards or Thiero all 40 at the 4 and rotate Ugo, Z, and Mitchell at the 5 depending on matchups and who is bringing it that night(Z should get 20+ most nights).

If Cal could do that this team could easily win a championship.
But keep starting DJ, Reeves, Edwards, Thiero, and Ugo and we'll dig ourselves into a hole at the start of each half until we dig one too deep to get out of; that's why we've lost several games this year and there is no way we could go 6 games without it happening again.
Dillingham can't play 35 minutes most games. His foul trouble prevents him from that. But even if he didn't foul much, the high energy level that he plays with, I don't think he would be nearly as good if he played over 30min.

And in most close games, Sheppard and Reeves do play close to 35mpg (32-34).

Dillingham can't play 35 minutes most games. His foul trouble prevents him from that. But even if he didn't foul much, the high energy level that he plays with, I don't think he would be nearly as good if he played over 30min.

And in most close games, Sheppard and Reeves do play close to 35mpg (32-34).
But I think you get my general sentiment; our best lineup has Shep, Dilly, and Reeves on the floor together and it's not even close so they should get as many minutes together as fouls and other factors allow.

Trey was a little better vs TAMU. Honestly we just need someone from Mitchell, Z, Onyenso, Bradshaw playing well, and either Theiro or Edwards or Wagner playing well. I'm counting on the 3 R's playing well.
Yeah, the 9 rebounds from Tre led the team. That was his biggest contribution in that game. If he could make a 3 or hit a shot in the middle of that zone, that would be gravy. Our other guys are going to score and carry the load there, but defending their big guy back to the basket (their top scorer) and rebounding will both be keys against Oakland. Since Trey Townsend is only 6-6 228, our Tre (at 6-9 231) could be someone who could give him problems. Theiro (at 6-8 222) could defend Townsend well, also.

Tre was slumping a while before his injury

Tennessee loss 0-3 in 24 minutes
Florida loss 2-10 in 33 minute
Arkansas win 3-10 in 38 minutes

Tre has missed his last 14 3pt tries…not sure we can risk an empty game from him and take minutes from Ivisic at Center or Thiero /edwards at the small ball forward lineups
We know when he sat out but we don’t know for sure when the back issues started

Granted....but we know when the shoulder came to light and it was 2 weeks after his ice cold shooting streak hit.

Yeah crestcat, this is something we don't really know. Someone could ask him, I guess, but otherwise we don't know when the back really started giving him trouble. This isn't the kind of injury where you see it happen on the floor, like we saw with that shoulder issue. This is something that is like a chronic issue that flames up or becomes worse with use. I would guess the extended number of minutes he was getting early in the season, while we were waiting for the other big men to become available, led to this back issue. He played 38 minutes in that game against Florida and wasn't very good. Shot 2-10 and 0-5 from 3 and only had 5 points. That was way too many minutes. It could have been when he aggravated his back. But that's just a guess. He wasn't very good after that, either. He only played 24 minutes against Tennessee and was 0-3 from the field. That next game (2/6 vs Vandy) was the first one he missed. I think it's safe to say he was likely having trouble the week before that and it finally became clear that it was more serious.

Reactions: crestcat
You are exactly right! We won several games with him at the 5. Struggled a bit when the 7' came in

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT