ADVERTISEMENT

Vanderbilt and Cal

And oddly will question how Cal can bring in someone like Vanderbilt, with all his issues, all his peeps and posse, all his determination to serve himself and not the program . . . and not recruit Tandy.
Guys like Vando will get the program in trouble eventually and we won't skate like UNCheat or Duke. Guys that constantly have others in their ear, telling them what's best for them, etc. Those are the kinds of guys that are easily influenced.

It's just crazy that a guy who scored 80 points in his career is even thinking about the NBA.

And oddly will question how Cal can bring in someone like Vanderbilt, with all his issues, all his peeps and posse, all his determination to serve himself and not the program . . . and not recruit Tandy.
Hasn’t kyky “camp” said he HAS to be the man and demanding playing time.
Cal knows that if he gets a JV player that is a kentucky boy... the crap thrown (rumors and gossip) would be crazy and surely a detriment to winning. And then more fans are unhappy.
It’s a no win situation for Cal

Well ...except JV's many times more talented than those guys.

If y'all are expecting JV to just disappear like those guys then I think you may end up surprised. He's one of the most uniquely gifted recruits we've seen--phenomenally rare rebounding instincts, crazy non-stop motor, elite level athleticism, tremendous ballhandling/passing skills for his size.

Unfortunately, UK never got to enjoy the benefits of those talents, but that does NOT mean the talents aren't there. If JV gets his head on straight, remedies his foot-injury issues, and improves his shot, then this is a guy who could easily end up developing into one hell of an NBA player.
Yup, Vando is more talented than the others mentioned, but those other players didn't have injury issues like Vando does.

JV may not have a say in what path his career takes, his feet and legs look to have the most say in how his career will play out.

He also has another problem; he can't shoot. When I say he can't shoot, I mean it looks like it's a completely new concept to him. Hitting a layup is a challenge and did you see him attempt to shoot free throws?

He can rebound and run the break in incredible fashion, but that's where his game appears to end.

If I had to guess, based on what I have seen and what I know of his injuries, he won't even last half a season in the G-League.

One thing I heard yesterday that was eye popping to me was something Matt Jones said on his show yesterday. "Jared Vanderbilt hasn't played a full season of basketball since his freshman year of high school." Now that's not good. I think he's going to need to seek out a different career, which is extremely sad because he has soooo much potential. Kid is an athletic freak.

Last edited:
Just a thought....IF he thought he was going pro after year 1, maybe his grades were such he couldn’t play next year (or 1st semester anyway). If that were to be the case, wouldn’t you rather go ahead and go than expose a perceived lack of effort in classes?
Bottom line is Cal is a class act, and we will never know the full story

Reactions: westerncat
I think he didn't want to risk revealing his situation if there was a chance he could get drafted at any point.He is not able to play/work out and would likely not be able to play an entire season at UK so there was no reason for him to return.

Honestly I hoped he would not come back because that might cost us a player who would be on the court. I hope he makes it to the NBA but UK is better off without him and he is better off without UK

Yes Vanderbilt go grab that spirited nba and make her your own...

Guys like Vando will get the program in trouble eventually and we won't skate like UNCheat or Duke. Guys that constantly have others in their ear, telling them what's best for them, etc. Those are the kinds of guys that are easily influenced.

Sounds awfully positive you know JV to speak of him like that. That's some harsh stuff....I hope you know him.

Sounds awfully positive you know JV to speak of him like that. That's some harsh stuff....I hope you know him.
No I don't know him but it wasn't hard to see that he had other influences in his ear all year. Even Cal was frustrated in a press conference this year alluding to Vando being healthy but choosing not to play. It just didn't seem like he had the program's best interest at heart during the season, which is what Cal stresses. After the season it is about the player. Vando was listening to other people all year. All I'm saying is it's the outside influences who are only looking out for themselves and want a piece of the pie so to speak and they don't care if they hurt the program. Not saying that was Jarred but it's guys like him who are more likely to do it.

Reactions: BBUK
Don't get this. He stayed 2 years and tried. Jv didn't even try according to some
Same. People got all bent up about his "I don't want to talk about Kentucky/I don't care about KY" comments at the combine. IMO they took that wayyy out of context. Teams were pointing to his time at UK and questioning if he could run a team so he rightfully was attempting to change the focus on the future, not the past.

He underperformed here (compared to expectations) because he is a PG that was asked to play the 3 and that exposed some holes in his game. But he always gave 100% and did what was asked. I honestly think had he came back and ran the team as the PG his JR year he would have had a better shot to get drafted.

Briscoe is good to go in my book.

I think cal learned something from this experience, and you won't see him recruit guys like Vanderbilt again. I think there's a lot cal doesn't want us to know. That said, cal will never go after a guy like this again

I remember Parker playing so well at the end of the year. Remind me why he didn’t come back again?
He did come back. Then he tore his ACL right before Midnight Madness in 2001 in a freak accident, then got busted for smoking weed (possibly more). He was not anyone's idea of a student, either. Transferred to South Carolina, but I don't think he ever played (academic problems I believe).

He left a great final impression (22 pts 13 rebounds in the Sweet 16 loss to USC in 01), but I'm not sure he was even as good as Marquis Estill. Estill didn't play as much that year, but his numbers were better in pretty much every category. And while Parker had that great game against USC, if you go back a game, it was Estill who put up 22 against Iowa in the 2nd round, while Parker committed 3 fouls in 3 minutes before getting benched.

It’s seems Tandy’s dad was a posse of one to me.

I went back and reread his comments. Tandy’s dad said he’s not a bench player—which he’d almost certainly be if he came to uK.

That said, they clearly want him playing.

He also said he wasn’t a 3-4 year player, which I’m guessing he will be wherever he goes.

I thoughr he had initially said he couldn’t see him going to UK with 3-4 other players at his position. Makes sense why things have gone quiet on that front.

Reactions: Poetax
I think cal learned something from this experience, and you won't see him recruit guys like Vanderbilt again. I think there's a lot cal doesn't want us to know. That said, cal will never go after a guy like this again
I thought that with Diallo, but I was wrong.

Whole lot of people throwing the kid under the bus because of something he can't control. He was freaking injured people. Stop crapping on him. He would have UK's best player next year, so stop acting like he was a garbage player or chose not to play to protect his draft status...unlike some players we've seen in the past.

I thought that with Diallo, but I was wrong.

Yeah I think he’s mistaken, it’s not a bad deal getting a 5 Star just because he was injured in HS.

You can say diallo since he wasn't ready to go, but Vanderbilt had zero business leaving. He's injured and didn't even get invited to the combine teams will have no idea what he can bring since he played in only 7 games this yr after being injured again. Giles atleast limped his was through one year at puke. Difference is, Giles was worth the risk being the number 1 player. Vanderbilt, looked good when he was healthy, but he also was ranked in the 20s. He will have to earn a spot on a roster, but it will take him atleast 2 years and staying healthy to get on an nba roster

Reactions: Poetax
You can say diallo since he wasn't ready to go, but Vanderbilt had zero business leaving. He's injured and didn't even get invited to the combine teams will have no idea what he can bring since he played in only 7 games this yr after being injured again. Giles atleast limped his was through one year at puke. Difference is, Giles was worth the risk being the number 1 player. Vanderbilt, looked good when he was healthy, but he also was ranked in the 20s. He will have to earn a spot on a roster, but it will take him atleast 2 years and staying healthy to get on an nba roster

WB, I was responding to KY, but your original post was that there was a lesson to be learned, I couldn’t remember Cal recruiting another guy like Vandy and his luck.

I don't think that's possible. If Cal thought there was a chance that Vanderbilt's handlers were going to be as involved and invasive as they were, he would have passed on him.
He also had no idea that JV would be as injured as he was this year.
I just don't see how Cal could have known these things ahead of time. We've seen him pass on kids that had baggage in the past, so we know he's very smart when it comes to those things. This one fooled him though.

I don't think that's possible. If Cal thought there was a chance that Vanderbilt's handlers were going to be as involved and invasive as they were, he would have passed on him.
He also had no idea that JV would be as injured as he was this year.
I just don't see how Cal could have known these things ahead of time. We've seen him pass on kids that had baggage in the past, so we know he's very smart when it comes to those things. This one fooled him though.

Not sure it fooled Cal but the injury ramifications were something I don't think anyone could predict...or the intensity of JV's outside influences...I perceive it was kind of a snowball effect that happened in this one. I'd state it was an unpredictable situation...

Reactions: kyjeff1
Not sure it fooled Cal but the injury ramifications were something I don't think anyone could predict...or the intensity of JV's outside influences...I perceive it was kind of a snowball effect that happened in this one. I'd state it was an unpredictable situation...

I think it was unpredictable. And I also believe there was some real animosity between the two later. Seems to me Cal all but called him out in one presser, subtly letting us know that JV was choosing not to play. I believe Cal was letting JV know by the end of the season and into the spring that his services were no longer needed. In a nice way of course. Probably mutual, as I also think that if JV came back and was re-injured; chances of NBA are toast completely.

Reactions: KyFaninNC
ADVERTISEMENT