ADVERTISEMENT

Vanderbilt and Cal

MSU129

Junior
Dec 15, 2004
I must have missed some news and just tried googling for an article. What happened with cal and vanderbilt? Saw a few people mention in it here and a few on Twitter, but I can't find the full story.

Yeah is there an article with this info somewhere or where are people getting this?
Jones mentioned it on his periscope last night. But you could also tell during the year Cal was frustrated with Vanderbilt not playing and he eventually let his frustration slip out during one press conference.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Yeah I guess there was a point where Cal was just saying it was his decision and he didn't know.

Yeah I guess there was a point where Cal was just saying it was his decision and he didn't know.
That happened. I’m sure Cal wishes him well but he wasn’t the one to bind team chemistry. As others said, addition by subtraction.

So waa Vanderbilt hurt come tournament time last season or just refusing to play?

If JV can't make it on the court in Fort Wayne...there's always the mascot job...

madant.png

He was seen walking easily without a limp when they got to hotel at SEC tourney. A trainer told me he still hasn’t run or jumped. Said Vandy had “laughable” pain threshold

I wish him the best. Kids should be able to trust those closest to them. How are they supposed to know any better? I mean from their perspective Cal is the outsider and the new voice in his ear. We are looking at this with years of experience behind us so of course we see the mistakes and pitfalls these kids make. When they receive bad advice from their "trusted" mentors it really hurts them.

I hope he goes on to have a great career and I hope his injury history is over with.

So waa Vanderbilt hurt come tournament time last season or just refusing to play?

Was told a very interesting story about that. Friend who was at the SECT sit by Vanderbilt's mom and she thought he was going to play and was very surprised when he did not.

Reactions: Chuckinden
Think of the unbelievable amount of heat that Cal was taking from fans during the tournament for not playing Vanderbilt. If Vandy was keeping him in the dark or not truly injured, then Cal is a saint for keeping that quiet. You think K would do that? I think he’d torpedo the kid to get some minutes out of him.

Now was Vandy injured or not? It seems to me like he at least thought he was, or he would’ve worked out for some teams. If he jerked Cal around in any way, then I’m sad to say he fooled me, I was a big fan of him.

I had a real sense that he has nerve issues as well, meaning genuine fear of playing in front of so many people. He ran around like a cheetah on cocaine and made crazy mistakes. That happened to WG too. With playing time it would obviously go away. He could be a legit Dennis Rodman type given his athleticism and nose for rebounding so someone will take a chance, but Cal will keep it classy and never say what really went in behind the scenes.

Reactions: Rupp'sRunt
And a lot of us got blasted for being displeased with Vando’s lack of enthusiasm to wear the blue and white... I hope they like crow
Exactly. What's hilariously ridiculous is what if he came back? Well hell's bells this board would be watering at the mouth of how he is the best, an AA some said lol. UK fans can be so fickle, so wishy washy, and Cal NEVER misses on a recruit. It's always Cal backed off, or the ol' that's why Cal backed off of him card LMBO. Vanderbilt was nowhere near gonna be a AA. He simply rebounded. Nothing more nothing less. His offense is booty, couldn't make a layup his first 10 games. It'l be OK. Moving on.

Everyone thinks they're the best. Hell I bet there are people on here that say give me 3 months to get back in shape and I can play. Vanderbilt is no different. We all know he needed another yr but people in his ear telling him what he wants to hear is hard to compete against. I question his toughness and durability. Can't shoot. Against 6'2" slow high school kids doesn't count. Pain threshold is extremely low IMO. He is now entering a Grown Man's Game. They will eat him alive. I compare him to T Jones and Jones is overseas last I heard and personally I think Jones is 3 times player Vanderbilt . But maybe someone was dumb enough to day we will sign you as FA and let you rehab and get paid. Kid seems to like to sot on the bench and cheer.

Was told a very interesting story about that. Friend who was at the SECT sit by Vanderbilt's mom and she thought he was going to play and was very surprised when he did not.

You know Cal ends up syaing if you okay or not and he rufsed to bw beld hostage again so if he was ready and it was a big problem he said I will roll with who I have that trys. P.J. has shown to be a man of his word now. He did everythinf he and his dad said they would do.

Everyone thinks they're the best. Hell I bet there are people on here that say give me 3 months to get back in shape and I can play. Vanderbilt is no different. We all know he needed another yr but people in his ear telling him what he wants to hear is hard to compete against. I question his toughness and durability. Can't shoot. Against 6'2" slow high school kids doesn't count. Pain threshold is extremely low IMO. He is now entering a Grown Man's Game. They will eat him alive. I compare him to T Jones and Jones is overseas last I heard and personally I think Jones is 3 times player Vanderbilt . But maybe someone was dumb enough to day we will sign you as FA and let you rehab and get paid. Kid seems to like to sot on the bench and cheer.

Jones is 3 times the player and 10x's the competitor.

I think he felt that playing at 90% and hurting his draft stock was more important than his team playing without him at 90%. I think it's obvious what the priority was. Just that's just my opinion.

I think of my brother being hurt by an RPG, and still fought to get out of Afghanistan. Vandy not playing a game he wants to be a job at 90% healthy. Makes me a little sick.

This board is woeful. Same posters that bashed other posters during the season for complaining about why JV was not playing are now bashing JV. This board truly does eat it's own.

I know nothing of the situation, so I am moving past JV and focus on the team we have now. But I will say this, Cal let this type of thing start with Diallo,who played no games and then declared,but did come back,now JV comes in and only plays when he wants to, and declares. Hopefully Cal ends that program quickly.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT