ADVERTISEMENT

Pope and BYU

KYWC36

Freshman
Jul 11, 2013
I have seen a lot of people say we will probably end up with several BYU transfers. Honestly, I am ok with that, at least they will be physically ready to play and will have some level of continuity to mix in and familiarity with what Pope likes to run. That is better than an 18 year old who's body hasn't matured and doesn't know how to play defense on the D1 level yet IMO. Also, I should mention that on the initial way to early top 25- before Pope left and anyone hit the transfer portal as a result, that same BYU team was rated 14th. We aren't talking about scrubs here. I haven't really seen anyone mention that here and if they have, my apologies, but I also haven't seen the media mention it when they talk about why Pope. Just a thought

Agree.

They were a top 25 team. They were 12th in the last NET update. They were a 5 seed. He had a tournament team with that group.

I think he can take 3-4 guys from that roster to form the core. Add some portal upgrades. Bring in whatever recruits. He'll be in a spot to make the tournament year 1 and get his 1st NCAA tournament win.

In addition, the athletic had the returning BYU team ranked 13th. BYU has finished higher in the Ken Pom rankings than we did in 3 out of the last 5 years- two of those years was when we had the number one ranked recruiting class. Again, doesn't mean anything, but coaching wise, its an indicator that Pope is a lot more ready than several of us want to admit.

Seems like most of the transfers are guards. Need some front court guys. Wouldn't mind the big guy from Arizona to go along with z and burks.

Reactions: KYWC36
Seems like most of the transfers are guards. Need some front court guys. Wouldn't mind the big guy from Arizona to go along with z and burks.
Looks like he will be going to Indiana - and I don't think he would fit in the system Pope ran at BYU. Of course, he could very well change it for his new spot

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT