ADVERTISEMENT

Update on Frank Anselem's Decision

HICATFAN

All-SEC
Gold Member
Aug 15, 2001
Kailua, Hawaii
I would still like to get this young man....

Frank Anselem knew plenty about talent UK was adding next season
by Larry Vaught
-fEHPOI_PIxeeflU4gGuF61lsNGu-QQXsW1qcYQbsN7W4BtrX2i9l8-16CYJgFqStV11yR4RfdMwWuzJdA0Afix0xhEhYA3-Xk7jlQfGYFqfX_J74v0qTvsEuKcQ34kLhsOSEHI7-ZN-qgsPf9uZT87km1wTNg=s0-d-e1-ft

Frank Anselem (Rick Manahan Photo)

By LARRY VAUGHT

Seven-footer Frank Anselem flirted with picking Kentucky to play his college basketball before deciding last week he wanted to go somewhere else after the Cats got transfer Olivier Sarr.

Anselem played for Prolific Prep in California but certainly was familiar with many of UK's incoming freshmen and those relationships were one reason he initially liked Kentucky.

He said he had been to a "bunch of Nike camps" with UK signee Brandon "BJ" Boston, a top 10 player in the 2020 recruiting class.

"He was among the first to reach out to me when Kentucky's interest in me came up," Anselem told me last week. "He said, 'Do what is best for you.' I appreciated that, especially since he was one of the first to reach out. But playing with him would have been great. He's really special."

He played against point guard signee Devin Askew of California a few times and signee Isaiah Jackson has been on teams with him at various camps. "We played a bunch together, too. I am really cool with Isaiah," Anselem said. "Devin is really a good point guard, too."

What about Terrence Clarke, the highest rated recruit in UK's signing class?

"Me and Terrence go back to eighth grade when we played in camp," Anselem said. "We are not buddy-buddy but I know about him and how good he is, especially when you put him with those other guys. That's a lot of talent for one team to have."

Maybe it was just too much for Anselem to join even though it still seems like even with Sarr -- especially since his eligibility is not a given -- that Anselem could still have been a good fit at Kentucky.

AlohaCat

Did you even read it before posting? I don’t understand why you would say you would still like to get him if he isn’t considering us.

That's why he underlined the word still for emphasis.

Meaning he knows he isn't coming here but he would like to have him anyway because of his solid relationships with our other freshmen.

There's maybe five people in the history of this site who have never said a cross word to anyone, and HICATFAN is one of them.

I've been here over a decade and only ever see him post news articles, sincere prayers, and cheering on the Cats. That should build up some serious goodwill.
I’ve almost never said a bad word about anyone. Not really. But almost.

He's a 4 star who wants to be the man on the team he goes to. Its not realistic, even for some lower level 5 stars. 9 times out of 10 the super stars will be the veteran players and/or the upper echelon, top 5 or even top 10 talent out of high school. Anselem, unless he blows up and is an 18 and 10 guy in year 1, is a multi year guy regardless of where he goes. I don't understand why not be a multi year guy at a place like UK as opposed to a place like, say UGA or Purdue or whatever.

Reactions: kl40504
There's maybe five people in the history of this site who have never said a cross word to anyone, and HICATFAN is one of them.

I've been here over a decade and only ever see him post news articles, sincere prayers, and cheering on the Cats. That should build up some serious goodwill.

Only joking but he could be that "wolf in sheep's clothing".

Reactions: GonzoCat90
He wanted to be at least the back up , in this case backing up Jackson . He would be the 3rd string now and 3rd strings don't play much if at all. I honestly can't remember the last time UK had a 3rd string center even lol. I think it was Tai Wynyard .

Mahalo Gonzo... much appreciated!

AlohaCat

We have cats fans attacking other cats fans for some petty ass reasons. A douche be a douche no matter what I guess.[/QUOT

You are correct and it is a shame that people are that way. I don't alway agree with some fans but there is no reason to put people down.

And we can also beat up on him for the next 4 years lol
I look forward to watching him become one of the better centers in the SEC ( which I think he will if he goes to UGA by soph or junior year) AND beating the crap out of his team every year 1-3 times . Kid has raw talent just needs the time to be good. I wish he would of been fine not playing next season so he could of come here and learned behind Sarr and Jackson but alas it wasn't meant to be.

I look forward to watching him become one of the better centers in the SEC ( which I think he will if he goes to UGA by soph or junior year) AND beating the crap out of his team every year 1-3 times . Kid has raw talent just needs the time to be good. I wish he would of been fine not playing next season so he could of come here and learned behind Sarr and Jackson but alas it wasn't meant to be.
Agreed. Would have loved to have him for his potential/long term development. Kids just want instant gratification these days it seems. As much of a goober as Tom Crean is there are definitely worse places he could choose to go.

Agreed. Would have loved to have him for his potential/long term development. Kids just want instant gratification these days it seems. As much of a goober as Tom Crean is there are definitely worse places he could choose to go.
I know I saw Syracuse get some crystal balls for Frank so maybe he goes there . Regardless I would rather play in Athens , Georgia then Syracuse NY LOL. .

This whole recruitment made zero sense. Didn't they start off talking about him coming along slowly and didn't expect him to be an impact player for a few years? We also got Brooks' dad saying we aren't done yet signing players right after interest was shown between the school and the player (who played with Brooks in the past).

Then the Sarr signing takes place and everything just ended right there. He could have been a backup for a year like they planned and then possibly played a bigger role the next year or two after. Everything playing out exactly like they were planning and then all of a sudden he doesn't want to come here to be a backup to Sarr.

Same here. The gals are sooo much prettier in Athens too.
You got that right. I worked on the Sheraton Hotel rooftop for about a week in the winter 2013, right across the street from Syracuse University. Was installing/integrating 4G LTE for T Mobile up there. I didn’t see anything special. I’ll take Kentucky women over both, Athens and Syracuse, though.

Yep, exactly. The wife and I both think a whole lot of @HICATFAN. He’s damn good people.
I agree 100%. I've never met the guy, but his easygoing, and always polite manner, speaks of an honorable & respectable person, IMHO. I can honestly say I've never seen him get upset or angry on here, and that's a feat for anyone, lol.

He's "Good People", and I'm glad he's a BBN Brother.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT