ADVERTISEMENT

Frank Vogel

Poster bthaunert asked in another thread, What excites you about Frank Vogel being the next coach. This has got to stop. Here you go:

Vogels’ Background:

Started playing college ball at Div III Juniata College, but later transferred to the University of Kentucky so he could under Rick Pitino. He became a team manager and later played on the JV team with Nazr Muhammed. His role, in part, was to drive Pitino to speeches which became a perfect setting to pick Pitino’s brain and absorb everything that he said.

What others have said about Vogel

• He is comfortable and considerate in media settings and has an egoless nature.
  • He will do whatever the Lakers need in terms of community relations and pushing the brand.
  • Has a sharp defensive mind whose teams have led the NBA in deficiency efficiency 3 times
  • He wants to force turnovers and opponents into the worst shot available.
  • He does not allow for doubt to seep in and pushes a togetherness mentality
  • Paul George – “one of the most influential men in my life.”
  • David West – “unwavering optimism and belief” “Really close to his players. We have his back 100%and I think that everybody in this locker room in willing to do whatever for Frank. We are ready to go to war for him.”
From Rick Pitino
  • So proud of my UK player and assistant Frank Vogel. Frank has it all; brilliant, humble, hard working and all about Team!
  • Student managers at Kentucky “aren’t just people who carry towels and give players water. Vogel did those things. But he did more. Like all of Kentucky’s managers, he ran drills in practice. He worked with players on individual skill development.”
  • If the Celtics were preparing for Michael Jordan’s Bulls, Pitino wanted Vogel’s input. He pitched specific scenarios and asked Vogel if he thought a particular defensive strategy would work.
  • “We just relied on his opinion so much, we trusted his judgment, we trusted his opinion, we knew he wasn’t just watching one film. You could ask him anything, and he was on it.”
  • - Vogel, Pitino said, asked not what the Kentucky program could do for him. He was focused on giving. “We never had to ask him to do more,” Pitino said. “He just did it. He was a self-starter.”
Yes!!!! But, I don’t believe he would ever leave the NBA.

I'll respond since I'm the one you quoted. Here are 2 major reasons I do not get the fascination with this guy:

1. He has been in coaching for 24 years, none if it at the college level. That has not been a recipe for success.

2. Since 2014, he has done the following:

2015 - missed playoffs
2016 - lost in first round
2017 - missed playoffs
2018 - missed playoffs
2019 - didn't coach
2020 - won the NBA title in the bubble with 2 first team All NBA guys
2021 - lost in first round
2022 - missed playoffs
2023 - didn't coach
2024 - 31-22 with one of the most talented teams in the NBA

So, again, I'll ask...outside of him being a student at UK in the mid 90's, what about that is exciting?
He’s not Cal. Pretty strong qualification

Anyone gainfully employed in the NBA would be insane to leave for a college job.
For 2x the money and generally more security?
In college, you have to beg 18 year old kids to come to your school, however in the pros you are at the mercy of a teams superstar just wanting you gone and they have the leverage. High school is probably better but the pay, I hear, is quite a bit less!

Poster bthaunert asked in another thread, What excites you about Frank Vogel being the next coach. This has got to stop. Here you go:

Vogels’ Background:

Started playing college ball at Div III Juniata College, but later transferred to the University of Kentucky so he could under Rick Pitino. He became a team manager and later played on the JV team with Nazr Muhammed. His role, in part, was to drive Pitino to speeches which became a perfect setting to pick Pitino’s brain and absorb everything that he said.

What others have said about Vogel

• He is comfortable and considerate in media settings and has an egoless nature.
  • He will do whatever the Lakers need in terms of community relations and pushing the brand.
  • Has a sharp defensive mind whose teams have led the NBA in deficiency efficiency 3 times
  • He wants to force turnovers and opponents into the worst shot available.
  • He does not allow for doubt to seep in and pushes a togetherness mentality
  • Paul George – “one of the most influential men in my life.”
  • David West – “unwavering optimism and belief” “Really close to his players. We have his back 100%and I think that everybody in this locker room in willing to do whatever for Frank. We are ready to go to war for him.”
From Rick Pitino
  • So proud of my UK player and assistant Frank Vogel. Frank has it all; brilliant, humble, hard working and all about Team!
  • Student managers at Kentucky “aren’t just people who carry towels and give players water. Vogel did those things. But he did more. Like all of Kentucky’s managers, he ran drills in practice. He worked with players on individual skill development.”
  • If the Celtics were preparing for Michael Jordan’s Bulls, Pitino wanted Vogel’s input. He pitched specific scenarios and asked Vogel if he thought a particular defensive strategy would work.
  • “We just relied on his opinion so much, we trusted his judgment, we trusted his opinion, we knew he wasn’t just watching one film. You could ask him anything, and he was on it.”
  • - Vogel, Pitino said, asked not what the Kentucky program could do for him. He was focused on giving. “We never had to ask him to do more,” Pitino said. “He just did it. He was a self-starter.”

If you have issues with a poster @ the brother and stand up to it. Does he have to hunt down people talking about him? @bthaunert

Of course it's the reason for this forum. But people will always have opposing views, and as long as it's done without personally attacking the other person, name calling, etc., I have no problem with it. Again, you and I just disagree. We both state our points of view. I'm not attacking you and you're not attacking me. I enjoy a good debate.

As for my list, I would not "make people say no" like some on here say. IMO, there is no reason to go after a guy like Jay Wright and Brad Stevens. In fact, I think the deeper you get in a search and the more people that say no, the more people wonder what's wrong. This happened with the BCG hire.

I believe that Bruce Pearl would crush it here. At all 4 of his coaching stops, he's had the most successful season in that programs history. He's yet to win it all, so he is still hungry for the elusive national title. I believe he feels he still has something to prove and would do everything in his power to din it all here. The biggest issue is his age and I know Mitch would not consider him.

Oh, Did not read down the thread yet. I guess you found it. (Not the way to do things...)

In college, you have to beg 18 year old kids to come to your school, however in the pros you are at the mercy of a teams superstar just wanting you gone and they have the leverage. High school is probably better but the pay, I hear, is quite a bit less!
I think it's important to note that the salary that Cal currently has is because of his success leading up to that contract extension. Bill Self is the highest paid coach in college basketball and Cal is second. The next highest coach behind Cal is Tom Izzo at $6.2 million. No one else is above $6 million.

Also, if UK has to buyout Cal in the process, IMO they aren't going to pay for all (or a portion) of the annual buyout and also pay a coach what Cal is making now. I think we will see UK pay their new coach in the $6 million range, unless they get someone with the qualifications to pay that kind of money, which would only be guys like Wright, Stevens and Donovan.

Vogel currently makes $6.2 million/year in Phoenix. The money at UK would most likely be in that range.

Reactions: JDHoss and gojvc
my only worry is, Indiana hired a NBA guy with no college experience (MIKE WOODSON) and many others have tried... seems to fail often.

Reactions: ukwazoo
@bthaunert has already addressed the money situation, but I'll play along anyway using your 2X the money scenario. If you have a job coaching basketball for $40K and someone offers you a job to coach basketball for $80K, you're going to take the job because that's literally life changing money that would make your quality of life way better, at least in terms of money. Frank Vogel hasn't been scraping by on $40K. He's been making millions over the last 10 years, and with the Lakers and Suns, he's been making $6.2 million for around 5 years, and his Suns contract has another 4 years left. Obviously UK isn't going to double his salary, but we'll pretend Vogel is making $4 million and UK (probably not) theoretically wanted to pay him $8 million to step into a job where he has no experience in recruiting and would be working year round, out on the road with the AAU circuit watching games, along with all of the other stuff like shmoozing boosters and dealing with NIL, "handlers" of players, and the ultimate nightmare of the out of control portal.

Right now, Frank Vogel makes excellent money, lives in a nice, vibrant city where the winter weather really isn't winter, and he (to quote Billy Donovan) gets to "just coach basketball". There are no boosters to schmooze, no player's "handlers" to deal with, and no radio call in show where Billy Joe Suns in Yuma calls in asking why Jordan Goodwin isn't playing more. At the mercy of a team's superstar? The vast majority of players (especially superstars) at this level are hard working, dedicated professionals who want to win and will bust their ass to help the team succeed. They don't need a babysitter and you don't have to worry about their grades.

As I said previously, if you are gainfully employed in the NBA, you'd be flat out nuts to take a college job.

@bthaunert has already addressed the money situation, but I'll play along anyway using your 2X the money scenario. If you have a job coaching basketball for $40K and someone offers you a job to coach basketball for $80K, you're going to take the job because that's literally life changing money that would make your quality of life way better, at least in terms of money. Frank Vogel hasn't been scraping by on $40K. He's been making millions over the last 10 years, and with the Lakers and Suns, he's been making $6.2 million for around 5 years, and his Suns contract has another 4 years left. Obviously UK isn't going to double his salary, but we'll pretend Vogel is making $4 million and UK (probably not) theoretically wanted to pay him $8 million to step into a job where he has no experience in recruiting and would be working year round, out on the road with the AAU circuit watching games, along with all of the other stuff like shmoozing boosters and dealing with NIL, "handlers" of players, and the ultimate nightmare of the out of control portal.

Right now, Frank Vogel makes excellent money, lives in a nice, vibrant city where the winter weather really isn't winter, and he (to quote Billy Donovan) gets to "just coach basketball". There are no boosters to schmooze, no player's "handlers" to deal with, and no radio call in show where Billy Joe Suns in Yuma calls in asking why Jordan Goodwin isn't playing more. At the mercy of a team's superstar? The vast majority of players (especially superstars) at this level are hard working, dedicated professionals who want to win and will bust their ass to help the team succeed. They don't need a babysitter and you don't have to worry about their grades.

As I said previously, if you are gainfully employed in the NBA, you'd be flat out nuts to take a college job.
I don’t disagree with your logic at all.

As far as the money, it has been said often in this forum that CCC is not going to give up $30+ million dollars voluntarily. If he agrees to leave, he will want his money. Maybe the next coach does not get $9 mil, but he will probably get a hefty raise from what he is presently making. So CCC would be crazy to leave money on the table (even though he must be worth, my guess at least $50mil), but the next potential candidate would be crazy if he took the money? If Vogel is making $6 mil presently and UK wanted him, I would think he may get $7-$8 mil. I would not jump for the money alone (how is another $2 mil going to change your lifestyle.)

As far as coaching in the NBA or College. If I asked the posters on this forum to name 10 head coaches in the NBA, probably few could? Who coaches the Lakers, the Knicks, the Celtics etc? Yes, they are gainfully employed but the NBA owners change coaches often. There is a short leash so you see coaches bouncing around the league a lot. In the NBA, fair or not, the players get the glory for winning championships and the coach is generally just along for the ride. I think Vogel is on his fourth head coaching gig and he coached the Lakers to the Championship just a few years back, but many people on this forum claimed they have never heard of him when his name has been brought up.

But if I asked who coaches Kansas, Kentucky, Auburn, North Caroline most could name these coaches. So there is more notoriety for coaches at the college level and generally more longevity and the money is there. The top 20 programs rarely change coaches most often when the present coach retires (Duke, N Car, Syracuse).

I agree with your 2nd paragraph. Personally, except for the $$, I would not want to coach either at the college or NBA level. I don't know Frank Vogel and don't know if UK offered him the job for $10 mil a year if he would take it. My original post was just to inform others of how he is known around the NBA and by what Pitino has stated about their working together. I would just hope when CCC leaves, that Vogel would get an initial call to gauge his interest. Is he the best candidate, I have no clue?

Last edited:
As far as coaching in the NBA or College. If I asked the posters on this forum to name 10 head coaches in the NBA, probably few could? Who coaches the Lakers, the Knicks, the Celtics etc? Yes, they are gainfully employed but the NBA owners change coaches often. There is a short leash so you see coaches bouncing around the league a lot. In the NBA, fair or not, the players get the glory for winning championships and the coach is generally just along for the ride. I think Vogel is on his fourth head coaching gig and he coached the Lakers to the Championship just a few years back, but many people on this forum claimed they have never heard of him when his name has been brought up.

But if I asked who coaches Kansas, Kentucky, Auburn, North Caroline most could name these coaches. So there is more notoriety for coaches at the college level and generally more longevity and the money is there. The top 20 programs rarely change coaches most often when the present coach retires (Duke, N Car, Syracuse).
Not sure what it has to do with anything, but I can name more NBA coaches than I can NCAA coaches. I can't even tell you who is coaching at half of the SEC schools without looking it up. Yes, NBA coaches are fired every year....because they underperformed, just like college coaches are fired for underperforming. Some of the NBA guys who are fired (like Vogel) will find another job with an NBA team. Notoriety doesn't play a role in anything in college. You'll either perform up to expectations or be fired, and spare me any comments about Cal, who is likely at the end of the line. Past success and achievements will only take you so far.

Overall, when you consider the pay v workload/hassel, the NBA is a far better gig than college if you can get it.

With NIL, college athletes have become professional athletes. What needs to happen now is to spin off the teams into regional organizations or something similar. Let colleges go back to being landlords or institutions of research and learning or whatever it is they're doing these days. Their students could become fit in PE classes or on intermural teams or they could form self-sustaining clubs to compete on their own. Compete with teams a bus ride away.

There's a chart I've seen in various forms. The highest paid person in each state who receives a state salary. Sometimes it's the head of a medical school, but usually it's a coach.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT