ADVERTISEMENT

UK hasn't played at Duke's Cameron Indoor Stadium since 1958 but could in the ACC/SEC challenge

I thought Tubby took the Carruth led team into ratville and took an L...no?

EDIT: It was Jimmy V Classic in New Rutherford, New Jersey - 93-95 OT loss

The old LHL Photo gallery is still up for that game two decades later for those who're interested...

8QbTIdo.png

Last edited:
I remember more than 1 bad block call on Prince that game.
Duke ALWAYS gets Charge calls. Always. They flop hard and no one would DARE challenge the rat.

There's a dent in that charge armor now, but it used to be impervious. And when they had Zion? Forget about it. It was like guarding Lebron. He was allowed to travel and bulldoze. All you could do was take a block and hope they missed FTs or let them score. I hated it. That's not basketball.

The old LHL Photo gallery is still up for that game two decades later for those who're interested...

8QbTIdo.png
And there it is!!!! As clean of a block as you’ll ever see. Matter of fact, I think Camara would’ve blocked it if Prince hadn’t. Hell, he might’ve got a piece of the ball too. Was just an incredibly bad call. I was livid af!

8QbTIdo.png
Remember this game. I was playing an aau tournament at Jenkins and inbeyeeen quarters everyone would run to the cafeteria/some type of conference room where they had TVs set up w the game on to get updates before running back to the court.

Not super pumped about the prospects of UK having to play at Cameron this upcoming season. Duke is loaded, IMO, this year, and is on the shortlist of teams with a solid chance to hang a banner. Also, that crowd would be insane.

If we had our 2022 team, as in the one that showed up in Allen Fieldhouse before all the injuries set in, I would be quietly optimistic.

This year's version will be very talented, but incredibly young. Don't envision anyway UK gets out of there with a win. Would be happy if the Cats kept it to single digits.

Cal will try every way in the world to have it played at a neutral site. He’s a chicken 💩. Duke has been pounding him lately. But who hasn’t?

We never played a neutral game n the big 12 challenge. Don't see how you would think we could n this.

Cal will try every way in the world to have it played at a neutral site. He’s a chicken 💩. Duke has been pounding him lately. But who hasn’t?
Playing at Cameron is a good test, but the home cooking in that place is WORSE than Allen Fieldhouse, and that's saying something.

I'm not skeert to play anyone, but I wouldn't mind not playing there this season. Last season? Oh that would've been fun, they weren't all that good and we were solid at times.

Duke has been a thorn in every UK coach's side. Even Rick doesn't have a winning record against them. It's right at .500

Cal: 1-3
BCG: N/A (we didn't play Duke in a game for 11 years)
Tubby: 1-3
Rick: 1-1
Sutton: 0-1
Hall: 1-2 (that one is big though- 78 TItle)
Rupp: 9-1 (the only UK coach with a winning record against Duke)

Thank Goodness for Rupp or Duke would have a winning record over us.

Cats were 2-7 against Ratty B. We had 10-4 lead before Whiskers arrived at Duke.

Duke will suck again eventually. But as long as K is still around, his influence will be felt.

And there it is!!!! As clean of a block as you’ll ever see. Matter of fact, I think Camara would’ve blocked it if Prince hadn’t. Hell, he might’ve got a piece of the ball too. Was just an incredibly bad call. I was livid af!
That call/game was the start of the decline of my interest in basketball in general......

Playing at Cameron is a good test, but the home cooking in that place is WORSE than Allen Fieldhouse, and that's saying something.

I'm not skeert to play anyone, but I wouldn't mind not playing there this season. Last season? Oh that would've been fun, they weren't all that good and we were solid at times.

Duke has been a thorn in every UK coach's side. Even Rick doesn't have a winning record against them. It's right at .500

Cal: 1-3
BCG: N/A (we didn't play Duke in a game for 11 years)
Tubby: 1-3
Rick: 1-1
Sutton: 0-1
Hall: 1-2 (that one is big though- 78 TItle)
Rupp: 9-1 (the only UK coach with a winning record against Duke)

Thank Goodness for Rupp or Duke would have a winning record over us.

Cats were 2-7 against Ratty B. We had 10-4 lead before Whiskers arrived at Duke.

Duke will suck again eventually. But as long as K is still around, his influence will be felt.
Pitino played them in UK's first year off probation, and almost beat Coach K's "greatest team of all time."

Duke needed a miracle shot. I know that game hurt, but that was David vs. two Goliaths, and we didn't have a rock and sling.

It's weird that we don't have a home and home with these guys. UK and Duke are the most prestigious programs in the nation, and have been for the last 30 years.
It's because no team wants to go into Cameron and get bent over. Can't say I blame them either. You have to be 10-15 points better than them there. And that's hard to do against any major college bball program.

Reactions: ok-cats-computer
I keep hearing how "loaded" Duke is. I just don't see it.
Good, but far from loaded. They do have good (young) depth, and their starting 5 will be good but not great.
Proctor, Roach, Mitchell, Flipkowski, and (?) one of the following bench guys:
FR PF/C #23 Power
FR F #17 Stewart
FR SG #12 McCain
FR PG #20 Foster
SR C Young 6.4 & 5.5
Soph G Blakes 3.4ppg & 34% from 3
Soph SG Schutt 3.1ppg & 35% from 3
Soph PF Reeves (played none)

Not a single guy who made >35.2% from 3 last year.
They want to play Flip at the 4, but they don't have good options at the 5.

Proctor & Roach vs Wagner & Dillingham, right now maybe they have the edge (in Nov, but I'm not sure they will in March). I'll take Edwards over Mitchell (who reminds me a lot of Livingston). Offensively we don't & won't have anyone on inside as good as Flipowski, but he's not good on Def. Whether with Flip they play Power or Young as the 5, or Stewart at the 4, I think we are as good or better with that Onyenso or Bradshaw matchup to that 1 guy. So really Flip is the only advantage they have on us (come March).
We have the potential to be quite good on DEF at the 4 & 5, but we will see. I like Theiro and Sheppard as good an any of their bench, maybe McCain is better maybe, and even think Burks is as good as their 3 Soph-bench guys.

Reactions: thedahc
I would love to see a home and home series between Duke and UK, but outside of the ACC-SEC challenge, I doubt that ever happens. I wonder how the Champions Classic will factor into this? I'm really curious to see what the matchups look like in the ACC-SEC challenge. Any idea when those will come out?

When this challenge got announced, I pretty much assumed UK’s first game would be @ Duke. I would be surprised if it doesn’t happen.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
How much does last years results go in to setting the matchups? I read a long time ago that the conference challenges are decided by trying to match teams up as evenly as possible, but I have never went back to see if it appeared to be even close to where each tam finished in their conference. You would also have to believe that they try to schedule matchups that will generate the most TV money, which would likely be a combination of Duke, unc, Miami, KY, UT and Bama or Arky

Good, but far from loaded. They do have good (young) depth, and their starting 5 will be good but not great.
FR PF/C #23 Power
FR F #17 Stewart
FR SG #12 McCain
FR PG #20 Foster
SR C Young 6.4 & 5.5

Proctor & Roach vs Wagner & Dillingham, right now maybe they have the edge (in Nov, but I'm not sure they will in March). I'll take Edwards over Mitchell (who reminds me a lot of Livingston). Offensively we don't & won't have anyone on inside as good as Flipowski, but he's not good on Def. Whether with Flip they play Power or Young as the 5, or Stewart at the 4, I think we are as good or better with that Onyenso or Bradshaw matchup to that 1 guy. So really Flip is the only advantage they have on us (come March).
We have the potential to be quite good on DEF at the 4 & 5, but we will see. I like Theiro and Sheppard as good an any of their bench, maybe McCain is better maybe, and even think Burks is as good as their 3 Soph-bench guys.
Appreciate the thought and effort that went into this post.

Breath of fresh air as opposed to lazy takes and lazier insults

We will beat Duke like a rented mule in Cameron.
While I'd like to believe that, Duke returns some experience. And playing in Cameron is the most rigged place in the country. Like I said earlier you have to be 10-15 points better than a perineal top 25 program. That's a lot to ask of any team, much less one led by freshman that haven't played a lot of college ball.

FR PF/C #23 Power
FR F #17 Stewart
FR SG #12 McCain
FR PG #20 Foster
SR C Young 6.4 & 5.5

I don't think loaded is too much of an exaggeration. Flip, Proctor and Mitchell "should" all be improved from their freshmen season. Having 4 starters return is a big deal these days. As far as comparing the guards, I would not expect Wagner and Dillingham to have the advantage over Roach and Proctor in march. Roach will have 4 years college ball under his belt and Proctor will have a full season ,an off season of training, and another full season of play. You also have to consider that Wagner and Dillingham will be playing a ton of minutes. They don't have the luxury of McCain and Foster to spell them. Those guys are going to be tiring quickly near the end of games. Power looks to be a very good shooter and a well rounded game. The 5 spot, as you mentioned is somewhat of a concern on the defensive end though. Stewart is the big question mark for me as far as what is expected of him and what he will give.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT