ADVERTISEMENT

Will the rumored new playoff plan save the ACC and Big 12?

gamalielkid

Senior
Gold Member
Mar 21, 2002
I have been hearing about proposals for the football playoffs that would guarantee the SEC and Big 10 3 playoff spots each and the Big 12 and ACC two each. This is for a 14 team playoff proposal. The last four spots would have one to the highest ranked non power 5 conference champion and the other 3 three to the highest ranked teams left - with Notre Dame getting in if they are ranked in the top 14. I think it has merit as many teams would then want to remain in the ACC and or join the Big 12. It could also slow down expanding the SEC and keep it where the teams in the conference actually play each other at least every couple of years instead of once a DECADE or less!

Go Big Blue!

Not the ACC, nope. Teams don't want out just because of playoffs. It is about money. they are not even paid much more than the Big 12, and are tens of millions behind the SEC and Big 10.

I wouldn't agree to that if I'm the sec and big 10. Make it 4 each.

Then acc and big 12 get 2 and notre Dame and non power 5. Or another power 5 if ND isn't in top 14.
Actually think the SEC and Big 10 are the ones lending support to it.

Go Big Blue!

Teams don't want out just because of playoffs. It is about money.
Exactly. It's a moot point though because the NCAA as a whole is a dead man walking once the antitrust suits work their way through the courts. Will be interesting to see what the conferences come up with once they are out of the way.

Of course it's meant to save those conferences AND their television/media contract partner's investments. I don't care what they do, but It's too many games. This will likely finish off things as we've known them in college football

I have been hearing about proposals for the football playoffs that would guarantee the SEC and Big 10 3 playoff spots each and the Big 12 and ACC two each. This is for a 14 team playoff proposal. The last four spots would have one to the highest ranked non power 5 conference champion and the other 3 three to the highest ranked teams left - with Notre Dame getting in if they are ranked in the top 14. I think it has merit as many teams would then want to remain in the ACC and or join the Big 12. It could also slow down expanding the SEC and keep it where the teams in the conference actually play each other at least every couple of years instead of once a DECADE or less!

Go Big Blue!

Interesting question there. I believe the idea behind an expanded playoff is simply to create more televised games with large audiences. The "Power 4" schools are addicted to the big TV revenue. More playoff games, more TV revenue. But, to your point, there will be collateral impacts. Whether that helps the ACC remains to be seen. It might not. It might become a pathway for more B10 and SEC schools to get in. That's probably the likeliest upshot, which is why the B10 and SEC are in favor. But with the ruckus over FL St getting bypassed last season, I can see the reasoning.

Interesting question there. I believe the idea behind an expanded playoff is simply to create more televised games with large audiences. The "Power 4" schools are addicted to the big TV revenue. More playoff games, more TV revenue. But, to your point, there will be collateral impacts. Whether that helps the ACC remains to be seen. It might not. It might become a pathway for more B10 and SEC schools to get in. That's probably the likeliest upshot, which is why the B10 and SEC are in favor. But with the ruckus over FL St getting bypassed last season, I can see the reasoning.
The last thing I heard is that the SEC and Big 10 each want a "bye" for their league champions. Many analysts starting talking greed and I, at first, thought the same thing. But, then I also heard the reasoning and it kind of makes sense. The fourteen playoff scenario, with two byes, will look like the NFL playoff - which seems to work well - so why the two auto byes for the SEC and Big 10 Champions? The answer is: Conference Championship Games! Without the byes - the game really has no meaning. But the bye gives the winner one fewer game to have to play to win the Championship. But those teams have also played an extra game to begin with - so sort of evens out. Of course the other caveat is the money those two games generate both at the game and for Television for their leagues. This provision also might hold the playoffs at 14 teams instead of going to 16.

I have always thought it would go to 16 - but the above makes sense to me. I know others will not agree and I was first upset at the SEC and Big 10 for wanting this - but then it does protect their championship games and makes them meaningful and those two bids would probably go to those conferences anyway 90% percent of the time. Especially if the conferences do grow to 20 teams each. Which would mean virtually every one and two seed since the playoffs began would have been members of those conferences.

Go Big Blue!

P.S. Keeping the championship games could also go back to creating 4 team pods and more divisional play, which would provide more geographical annual match ups and helps retain some really old rivalries!

Reactions: The-Hack
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT