ADVERTISEMENT

The fan base is about to become genuinely divided

Anybody calling for Cal’s head already is overreacting imo. Calipari has seemed to overachieve consistently in March and so you can’t even know the season was a bad one 100% til our final game.

That said, if this season shakes out mediocrily as well as our 2019 recruiting class, then I wouldn’t blame fans for starting to make a list of potential coaches. Examine that list, is there anyone on there that seems likely to outperform Cal? Likely not, for now, but by 2021 things could change.

Cal is our best bet though, we can all admit that, even if we’re all unhappy with his relative underperformance as of late.

Anybody calling for Cal’s head already is overreacting imo. Calipari has seemed to overachieve consistently in March and so you can’t even know the season was a bad one 100% til our final game.

That said, if this season shakes out mediocrily as well as our 2019 recruiting class, then I wouldn’t blame fans for starting to make a list of potential coaches. Examine that list, is there anyone on there that seems likely to outperform Cal? Likely not, for now, but by 2021 things could change.

Cal is our best bet though, we can all admit that, even if we’re all unhappy with his relative underperformance as of late.

Except it’s been several years since we’ve overachieved in March. 4 years ago, I’d have been on board with that statement. I hope I can be again after this year.

If your coach is being paid 8 million dollars per year, then his ultimate goal should be on winning championships - not making millionaires out of young men. I am not optimistic he going to change and it is unlikely he will ever win another championship at Kentucky. I am not saying I want him to leave, but I would like to see him change his focus.

Except it’s been several years since we’ve overachieved in March. 4 years ago, I’d have been on board with that statement. I hope I can be again after this year.

I think we overachieved last year, that team was not a sweet 16 team. Even the Fox year, we looked like a title contender come March, I don’t think we were at that level the first 90% of the season.

Reactions: StevieJFTW07
Cal used to have a way of winning these games. We didn't always blow everyone out but we won all the games we were supposed to win. That's not happening as much anymore.

Reactions: StevieJFTW07
I've seen it and admiitted what was coming. Others are about to get there. Cal is no longer the perfect fit here. The routine is getting old and a lack of a 2nd title will cost him fan leverage. It's gonna get worse this year.

He still is the perfect fit.

Tell ya what, list 3 feasible options you’d suggest we can hire to replace Cal right now ?

I’m guessing you will evade the question.

@FishersBlue

I think we overachieved last year, that team was not a sweet 16 team. Even the Fox year, we looked like a title contender come March, I don’t think we were at that level the first 90% of the season.

Oh come on, that team didn’t overachieve last year. They got a gift getting to play Buffalo and still couldn’t get past an average K-State team even missing their best player for pretty much the whole game.

I loved the Fox/Monk team. Fun to watch. Tough L in the elite eight that could’ve gone either way. Still didn’t overachieve. And the year before that was pretty much a disaster as well, outside of getting to watch the Ulis-Murray backcourt. But it was a bad team that didn’t make it past the first weekend.

Reactions: Jim Sauer

Tell ya what, list 3 feasible options you’d suggest we can hire to replace Cal right now ?

@FishersBlue

Frank. He's a great recruiter and while at UK has recruited great kids. There are several coaches who can coach rings around the guy on the court. He's definitely not perfect or he'd have 2 other championships.

Probably as much as you do. And your point is?

Another sunshine pumper that can't handle any criticism about Cal.

I’m not a sunshine pumper and my family has had season tickets for years that we split and go in together on. I think a Calipari definitely needs to make changes but the doom and gloom that is spewed on here is pitiful.

I’m not a sunshine pumper and my family has had season tickets for years that we split and go in together on. I think a Calipari definitely needs to make changes but the doom and gloom that is spewed on here is pitiful.
Hey, fellow low ender here. Sitting thumping away on my Warwick while listening to the post game [laughing]

Reactions: Bassworship
Cal used to have a way of winning these games. We didn't always blow everyone out but we won all the games we were supposed to win. That's not happening as much anymore.

We also used to have the best talent on the floor to do that. We no longer have that. Cal's coaching and recruiting have really slipped the past few years. He said he could get the best of the best but Duke has been doing that lately not Cal.

And it shouldn’t be divided. Cal needs heat from everyone. His way isn’t working, players first has contaminated the well, we don’t have the studs to play this way or recruit this way. It’s over.

Adapt or die. That’s it. There is nothing else to talk about and it’s not an opinion. If you’re someone who fails to accept this then you’re a moron.

Pure and simple.

We were winning when Cal was getting the elite of the elite. Now he's having to settle for the guys who are his second choices while our first targets all seem to want to go to Duke now for some reason. I'm sorry but guys like PJ, Keldon, the Harrisons, Dakari, Ulis, and several others I'm leaving out just aren't or weren't the elite of the elite and yet they still keep departing after a year or two. We have guys who are obvious 3-4 year players who are leaving now and choosing to even go play overseas rather than come back to Kentucky for a third year.

I think Calipari created a monster here where if you don't leave after a year than you have failed as a player. Two years is OK for some of them, but they aren't staying any longer than 2. Our second tier players keep leaving and it has killed this program over the last few years. So now instead of having young teams full of elite guys like Davis, Wall, Cousins, Knight, Towns, etc, we have new teams every year with guys like Quade, Herro, and Quickley who are no where near as good as those guys, and they're inexperienced.

Feasible options at the end of the year?

Billy Donovan
Eric Musselmann
Mark Few
Interesting name.
We also used to have the best talent on the floor to do that. We no longer have that. Cal's coaching and recruiting have really slipped the past few years. He said he could get the best of the best but Duke has been doing that lately not Cal.
We are getting the "rest of the best".

Powell shot the lights out that second half. A double clutch three to take the lead in regulation? That's money. And the defense was great on that play.

Missing 15 shots in a row in the first half, disastrous.

The SEC is loaded this season. So we need to buckle up and grow up. Nobody is getting a #1 speed out of the SEC this season. Too much carnage. But all our clubs will be tough outside in the tourney because they will have been thru the war that is the SEC this season.

I'm not turning on Cal just yet. He deserves a bit more patience at the start of a season. The time to evaluate is afterward. Right now the noise is only harmful to the program and the kids IMHO. It doesnt mean everything is peaches and cream, but for an 18-22 yr old .... its demotivating to hear your "fans" turn on you. Let the coaches, coach. Everyone wants to win.

Reactions: mapcatfan
Powell shot the lights out that second half. A double clutch three to take the lead in regulation? That's money. And the defense was great on that play.

The SEC is loaded this season. So we need to buckle up and grow up. Nobody is getting a #1 speed out of the SEC this season. Too much carnage. But all our clubs will be tough outside in the tourney because they will have been thru the war that is the SEC this season.

I'm not turning on Cal just yet. He deserves a bit more patience at the start of a season. The time to evaluate is afterward. Right now the noise is only harmful to the program and the kids IMHO. It doesnt mean everything is peaches and cream, but for an 18-22 yr old .... its demotivating to hear your "fans" turn on you. Let the coaches, coach. Everyone wants to win.
I think this is a fair point and something I need to adopt. Its gonna be a long week but lets figure out how to beat Utah and go from there.

And it shouldn’t be divided. Cal needs heat from everyone. His way isn’t working, players first has contaminated the well, we don’t have the studs to play this way or recruit this way. It’s over.

Adapt or die. That’s it. There is nothing else to talk about and it’s not an opinion. If you’re someone who fails to accept this then you’re a moron.

Pure and simple.
Going to need you type a memo saying this in depth and send it to Cal.

I’m serious

I want Cal

but I'm not sure its because I think he's the guy that can deliver a championship or because there are not other coaches that can replace him.

Doesn't change my position that he ain't getting it done and doesn't seem overly interested in making the changes necessary to fix it.

been a Cal guy since he has been here but I shake my head any more at some of the dumbest things he does. Just starting to really have questions about him. If he said he was going to retire would I be sad--yes, would I get over it, yea a lot faster than I did the Wisconsin lost

He sure did overachieve last year.

Oh wait.

I'm not turning on the players, We have good players. But every one of them is marking a calendar to the day they don't have to wear a UK uniform anymore and 4 months just isn't enough time to turn 5 -7 freshmen into a group that can take on a solid veteran team in the NCAA tourney. The wait until March mantra isn't based on any reality of how our teams are built over the last 3 years. Its based on having an Anthony Davis, John Wall or Karl Towns

Actually I made my account during the time that’s all anyone was talking about. Had i made my account during the time period everyone was bitching and moaning, well, I may have went with the username: crybabycatfans or something that would have represented the current state of this board.

A lot of y’all forget that March is what matters. I’ll take Cal over ANYONE else we could get. Period.

If March is what matters then we haven't mattered much in 2 of the last 3 years. Losing a bunch of games in November and December negatively impacts your seeding in March making it a much tougher task to win it all.

Look at 2014. It took way to long to get it together and then we had to play a murderer's row of opponents to be able to get to the title game. Also look at 2017 (although not as bad early in the year). A number of losses again that caused us to get screwed on our seed (losing against a number of ranked teams and getting blown out by Tennessee) and we had to beat 3 thirty win teams to get to the Final Four.

In 2016 and 2018, we got pushed down to the 4 and 5 seed lines from all of the losses. Those are 2 of the worst higher seeds to be to advance in the tournament. Then you have all those losses in 2013, combined with Noel going down, that kept us completely out of the tournament.

It's at the point where you can't just say it's early and it doesn't matter because it does. The only time that line of thinking works is if we finally start playing to the level of our talent and make a big run. It hasn't happened in 2 of the last 3 years and if I were a betting man, I would say this year won't happen either.

For all of the good things Cal has done here, we still lost the 3 point streak, are on the verge of getting passed by in all time wins, and now can't sign a single elite player in 3 of 4 years (as of right now). He's definitely trending down and better change things up soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: ABlockalypseBrow
Wait...wait.....so now its en vogue to criticize the one and done farce?

But 47 draft pics!

@FishersBlue
- I wouldn't say he's a perfect fit. I think he's as good a fit as we can get right now based on what's available. But, yes...
- I think your question and its lack of a plausible answer are what is sucking the fun out of UKBB. We aren't getting quite what we expected out of 1&D and it isn't going to magically get better with other schools doing it better now.

Feels like basketball limbo... since 2015 for me.

Reactions: Phil_The_Music
Because he’s stubborn and doesn’t make adjustments. He’s not an X’s and O’s guy like Coach K or Nick Saban. Calipari got his one title and he’s fat and happy now. Coach K and Saban live and breathe titles, draft night is the last thing on their minds. We’re basically the Miami Hurricanes of college basketball. Flashy, tons of pros, but not a well coached dynasty like an Alabama football with Saban or Duke with Coach K.
Bama and pUKe get more breaks than UK could ever hope for. If Cal had done half of what K has done recruiting wise UK would be burned down.

emotional responses to an emotional game. this narrative that we are divided is bullshit imo. the people who are not along for the ride anymore can’t even say “fire cal”. why? because they’re afraid of their overemotional responses being ridiculed. so they just try to steer the narrative without balling up and calling for his job. this proves there is no divide. just emotional people who will do nothing except try to be extreme via social media and let that echo. if there was justification it wouldn’t be narrative pushing, it’d be a demand for a secured result. there can’t be a divide unless the bitching is consolidated to the goal of firing cal. which won’t happen imo because there’s no justification for it. complaining is one thing, trying to say things are systematically bad is another. for those of you saying the latter, time to man up.

@FishersBlue
Who gets to define what is "feasible"?

It's an impossible question to answer in light of the fact that the position is not open and therefore there is no way to know who may or may not be interested.

But 47 draft pics!

- I wouldn't say he's a perfect fit. I think he's as good a fit as we can get right now based on what's available. But, yes...
- I think your question and its lack of a plausible answer are what is sucking the fun out of UKBB. We aren't getting quite what we expected out of 1&D and it isn't going to magically get better with other schools doing it better now.

Feels like basketball limbo... since 2015 for me.
I"m on here because football is over, and not because I'm one of these "FAAAAR CAL" yahoos. Cal needs to change his M.O. if he wants to stick around for a long time, assuming the NBA makes no changes. If they do, then this will all be in the rear view and I think we'll all be happy.

But the focus on draft picks and all that nonsense, I have never cared. I can't stand the NBA. It is unwatchable basketball, and I'm not going to pretend to care about it. If a franchise comes to Louisville or Cincinnati, then I'll consider getting into it. But if it weren't for Kentucky, I would only care about football and baseball as sports at all.

My point is, I care about what's best for Kentucky basketball. Not the kids, not the league, not Cal.

And right now what's best for Kentucky is developing guys long term so we don't drop winnable games like today. We are above that. And we are above watching guys "learn on the job in an internship" for their NBA employment.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT