ADVERTISEMENT

The longer we go…

Like when Pitino went 14-14 in year one?
To be fair to the OP, Pitino’s first year was after probation. I don’t think anyone will be happy - and they shouldn’t be - with a .500 record next year. I don’t think that is what Coach Pope expects either. Yet, Mitch’s emphasis on making a quick hire (and not waiting to get an answer from Donovan) may prove costly in the short run.

and the best part is that the OP has NO idea what is going on behind the scenes with recruiting and the portal.

And thank God that is 100% true.

I know there could be some amazing things working, but I also see the transfer portal drying up rapidly and any good freshmen are already NLI’d elsewhere.

…with no commits, no returnees (Reed especially), the more the shine of that press conference is going to wear off.

We literally don’t have a team right now and if you look at Kenny brooks quick work on the women’s team, you realize this is a game that is dictated by pace.

Add in the fact that the BYU players are mostly not following (not that they’re the cream of the crop either) and the ones we thought could come back most likely aren’t, and it looks like it’s gonna be a very rough year next year.

I was low on the hire, then high on it, and now I’m moderating back to how can we win if we have no players. Z to Arkansas is a huge blow.

The longer we go without filling out this roster the more of a disaster this will become. Pope will have zero goodwill with the fan base if he goes 15-15.
Relax. Cal had a 5 day head start and he only has 1

The patience of a toddler who dropped his binky.
Some of these people will be constant downers. I vote 'bring on the ban hammer!'

Reactions: K86
What and idiotic, or trolling post. I can't figure out which one.

Wrong. If you can work the portal and keep key pieces that stuff is already leaking. Literally nothing has yet. I’m rooting for Mark more than anybody but it’s obviously becoming difficult to figure out what’s going on.

Bradshaw to OSU had to make you wonder about sales ability.

Reactions: kyhankypanky
We will have a full roster just have some patience.
Let's not forget, alot of players have declared for the draft and portal. If they withdrawal from the draft, they have the portal option to fall back on.
Just have some patience
“We will have a full roster” is an extremely low bar and a place I watched Indiana go to years ago

Reactions: kyhankypanky
lol doom and gloomers. Big Z is gonna be used the wrong way again this year and the whole championships talk by Z tells me all this was a set up by Cal. We will be alright.

Reactions: Wonky
Wrong. If you can work the portal and keep key pieces that stuff is already leaking. Literally nothing has yet. I’m rooting for Mark more than anybody but it’s obviously becoming difficult to figure out what’s going on.

Bradshaw to OSU had to make you wonder about sales ability.
Why would I worry 48 hours into the head coaching change? Guy probably isn't even settled into a house yet. Bradshaw is a Klutch guy and he's going to do what's best for Bradshaw, not UK.

Reactions: Catfan2226
“We will have a full roster” is an extremely low bar and a place I watched Indiana go to years ago
What do u expect him to do in 3 days...I mean cmon, give him some time to make some calls at least.
When it's all said and done, the 2024-25 roster will be competitive.

lol doom and gloomers. Big Z is gonna be used the wrong way again this year and the whole championships talk by Z tells me all this was a set up by Cal. We will be alright.
Agree and agree.

But it doesn’t change the fact Z would’ve been perfect in popes system. And that after a meeting, he snap goes to Arkansas.

Cal sure picked a perfect to kill us for next year. He timed it just right so that we don't have the time to get good players out of the portal.

Reactions: mbc82584
Why is Z a huge blow? Cal wouldn't even let him play last season.
Could you really not see Zs potential? I mean, forget the fact that he’s probably the perfect big to star in Pope’s offense, forget that Cal will force him to be a square peg in a round hole and that he won’t fully get to utilize his Euro big skills at Arky. Kids make bad decisions all the time. I know Cal brought him here, but he’d be a world better off playing under Pope next year and he’d be a damn good player.

…with no commits, no returnees (Reed especially), the more the shine of that press conference is going to wear off.

We literally don’t have a team right now and if you look at Kenny brooks quick work on the women’s team, you realize this is a game that is dictated by pace.

Add in the fact that the BYU players are mostly not following (not that they’re the cream of the crop either) and the ones we thought could come back most likely aren’t, and it looks like it’s gonna be a very rough year next year.

I was low on the hire, then high on it, and now I’m moderating back to how can we win if we have no players. Z to Arkansas is a huge blow.

The longer we go without filling out this roster the more of a disaster this will become. Pope will have zero goodwill with the fan base if he goes 15-15.
stop making these posts. HIS PRESS CONFERENCE WAS YESTERDAY SHUT UPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

Pope was just hired a couple days ago, ye of little faith.
The game moves faster today than it ever has. And the roster of available is running thin.

That is, in theory, why we couldn’t wait for Donovan. If we don’t have commits soon it makes Mitch look so much worse.

Reactions: chevyman 50
stop making these posts. HIS PRESS CONFERENCE WAS YESTERDAY SHUT UPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP
Spoken like someone who doesn’t understand momentum and time are the essential qualities after you run off an hall of fame coach.

• Haha
Reactions: Wonky and STL_Cat
Could you really not see Zs potential? I mean, forget the fact that he’s probably the perfect big to star in Pope’s offense, forget that Cal will force him to be a square peg in a round hole and that he won’t fully get to utilize his Euro big skills at Arky. Kids make bad decisions all the time. I know Cal brought him here, but he’d be a world better off playing under Pope next year and he’d be a damn good player.
He would be better off, but Cal has him brainwashed. The kid won't have an NBA career because Cal won't develop him, or give him PT.

I watched the call in show. When the question was asked "How is recruiting going?", his eyes lit up and a big smile appeared and he said, "It's fun!" I don't know, it just didn't seem like the look of a man who is too worried about getting players. It's quite possible he has several players interested and is doing his due diligence to make sure he brings the right ones in. I could be wrong but that's the impression that I got.

Cal sure picked a perfect to kill us for next year. He timed it just right so that we don't have the time to get good players out of the portal.
This. And Mitch was too gullible and trusting in Cal’s word before that tv interview and that he could move anyone but us fans by hyping the ‘96 nostalgia press conference. That doesn’t mean that Coach Pope isn’t going to work out fine and we won’t have a decent roster next year, yet it’s going to be VERY challenging. It does mean Mitch has, time after time, been duped via playing checkers when Coach Cal was playing chess.

Hope that Pope is not selling the religion thing too hard in his sales pitch to UK. That can be a real turn off to many.
I'm not opposed to religious beliefs but I hope they aren't getting the hard sell on it like a Jehovah Witness at your door.
I just don't like it pushed on me and many others don't either.
I have zero evidence that's happening so it's just a hypothetical discussion point....but he and Mitch definitely lean hard that way. Time will tell.

Agree and agree.

But it doesn’t change the fact Z would’ve been perfect in popes system. And that after a meeting, he snap goes to Arkansas.
I cant help from wondering if it were planned that way; to throw shade on whatever uk coach was gonna be... had a plan with cal and stuck to it

Pitino went 14-14 his first year and was still swimming in goodwill.
UK was coming off several years of probation that devastated recruiting. There was no portal. Completely from scratch with Kentucky kids. A remarkable achievement. Pope has the tools to do better.

How many other hall of fame coaches win only 8 games in a year? Also have 2 first round losses one as 2 seed and one as a 3 seed? Also when have we won a conference tourney game? I'm sick of hearing the word hall of a fame coach. Dude can recruit and lie and manipulate that's about it. Y'all need to go with coach cal if you think hes gonna be better off because spoiler alert hes old stubborn and lazy.

The longer it goes without BYU players transferring in is promising to me. It tells me Pope is swinging for something bigger than what he had back in Utah.
Exactly. You might every five years or so years want to add a BYU portal kid to the roster, but I could never see a scenario to bring multiple BYU players out of the portal in one year. If that's the case you are probably not playing for a championship.

Reactions: wfc7 and Fox2monk
I watched the call in show. When the question was asked "How is recruiting going?", his eyes lit up and a big smile appeared and he said, "It's fun!" I don't know, it just didn't seem like the look of a man who is too worried about getting players. It's quite possible he has several players interested and is doing his due diligence to make sure he brings the right ones in. I could be wrong but that's the impression that I got.
I like it, positive! I wouldn't say I was part of the LOD with Cal but I definitely had my beefs with him. But, I got what I wanted and he's gone. So, even though Pope was no where near my first choice, I'm good with the hire and will be positive until Mark proves he's not the right guy for the job (which hopefully never happens). Then I'll be negative again, lol.

Reactions: Phil_The_Music
Calm down. We've had a coach for 2 business days.

Let the next 2-3 weeks play out and then we can panic.
People just need to realize that we have a bare cupboard, I was hoping we could sneak Z and the like back but even that has failed. It’s gonna be hard to build a competitive roster this quickly even with a portal. We just gonna have to accept some lumps and anything better is a win.

Reactions: MegaBlue05 and K86
Recruiting takes weeks and you want him to do it in 24 hours since his introductory press conference. Chill brah

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT