ADVERTISEMENT

The Dillingham Dilemma

uk78

All-American
Feb 6, 2003
Last week I posted my frustration with Cal seemingly never to instruct players during a game on what to do or not. I felt we lost to UNC W partly because of Dllingham's out of control play more often than not cost points and led to easy baskets through unforced turnovers for our opponents. Today against Penn there were many of the same issues especially in the first half. But, what seems equally true is he is extremely talented. That's the dilemma. He contributes and he costs. In the first half again I was screaming take him out as he was repeating the same behavior as last game making poor passes, missing shots off balance, rushing, etc. I don't understand why Cal doesn't point what seems glaring clear out. But, then that is also his game and he hits shots several times of the "no no no good shot" variety.

Is there an answer?

Also, I would like Cal to encourage Reed to look more for his shot. Even when not doing that he basically got our team out of a tight game with his play.

I was worried it was going to be another rough game for Rob when his first action was a pass to nobody that sailed out of bounds. But, thankfully he rebounded and overall had a good game. Always going to be ups and downs with him. Just have to hope the good outweighs the bad and it usually does.

He’s a work in progress who needs to be given a certain amount of rope because he is just that talented.

He’s the reason you pay Cal 9 million bucks and bring in support like John Welch. Titles are won when guys like Dillingham put it all together.

One instance I remember, he started to raise up for 3(it could have been a ball fake), but instead passed it which lead to pass to Reeves I believe it was, and Reeves hit the 3.
I do think Cal was screaming at him to back it out. Against Miami Cal wanted him to back it out and he didn’t and it worked out.

Dillingham gambles a lot on offense and defense. Cal looked beyond frustrated with him around the 10:30 mark. On back to back plays, Rob leaves his man to swipe at the ball and his guy drains a 3. Next possession for Penn Rob doesn’t stick close to his guy and his guy drains a 3. He sat for a while after that I believe.

If Dilly plays within the concept and keeps it under control, he quite possibly is the most electric player on the team. When he gets going toward the out of control side it is not good. Works out against Penn, but against a UCONN type, who knows. Hopefully he gets it figured out.

Last week I posted my frustration with Cal seemingly never to instruct players during a game on what to do or not. I felt we lost to UNC W partly because of Dllingham's out of control play more often than not cost points and led to easy baskets through unforced turnovers for our opponents. Today against Penn there were many of the same issues especially in the first half. But, what seems equally true is he is extremely talented. That's the dilemma. He contributes and he costs. In the first half again I was screaming take him out as he was repeating the same behavior as last game making poor passes, missing shots off balance, rushing, etc. I don't understand why Cal doesn't point what seems glaring clear out. But, then that is also his game and he hits shots several times of the "no no no good shot" variety.

Is there an answer?

Also, I would like Cal to encourage Reed to look more for his shot. Even when not doing that he basically got our team out of a tight game with his play.
It’s a simple answer. Dillingham is 18 years old with a month of CBB experience

Yet he’s won 840 games, 6 FF’s, in the HoF and taken every school he’s coached to the FF.

Let’s hope no one ever figures it out.
Both things can be true, Cal is both a hall of fame coach and maddeningly confusing when it comes to his offensive philosophy, coaching staff, lineups, substitutions, in bounds plays/defense, late gameplan, pace, fan/media interactions, etc.

I was worried it was going to be another rough game for Rob when his first action was a pass to nobody that sailed out of bounds. But, thankfully he rebounded and overall had a good game. Always going to be ups and downs with him. Just have to hope the good outweighs the bad and it usually does.
Dilly giveth and Dilly Taketh! Thankfully he’s really good and does more of the former.

The guy that was defending him on the last play, when he caught the pass from Wagner, bounces it behind his back to get open for the 3, makes it and he fouls him, had to be like wtf just happened. Mind blowing just watching it. Just incredibly fast and creative.

Dillingham IMOis one of the best2 guards on this team. Unfortunately he is coming off the bench which seems to make him play hero ball a bit. I would like to see a Bradshaw, Mitchel, Reeves , Wagner and Dillingham starting line up with Reed first off the bench lineup, to see what they could do.

Through a 9 game sample size:

14 ppg
5 apg
4 rpg
less than 2 turnovers/game
48% from the field
74% from the free throw line
51% from three

Only 23 minutes/game

A future first round pick who is totally content with his bench role.

You take that any day of the week, and you thank God in Heaven for it.

He's a baller, don't overthink it. Team defense will burn this team. Nothing else.

In a single elimination tournament dillingham going 1-9 or 2-14 will also burn us. UNC-W is proof of that. Mind you, we need him and he’s a baller and this is something that would easily be coachable, if he had a coach.

Dillingham IMOis one of the best2 guards on this team. Unfortunately he is coming off the bench which seems to make him play hero ball a bit. I would like to see a Bradshaw, Mitchel, Reeves , Wagner and Dillingham starting line up with Reed first off the bench lineup, to see what they could do.
Starting lineups matter about as much as farting in the wind. I also want nothing to do with long stretches of Bradshaw and Mitchell together. With that said, Cal played this exact lineup yesterday for a little while. I like whatever lineup is bringing it on game day.

Through a 9 game sample size:

14 ppg
5 apg
4 rpg
less than 2 turnovers/game
48% from the field
74% from the free throw line
51% from three

Only 23 minutes/game

A future first round pick who is totally content with his bench role.

You take that any day of the week, and you thank God in Heaven for it.

This. He's the one guy we have that no one else has. He's that good.

Harnessing his elite talent is our chance to win it all. His unselfishness is incredible being off the bench and often pass first. Imo that means we have a chance

This. He's the one guy we have that no one else has. He's that good.

Harnessing his elite talent is our chance to win it all. His unselfishness is incredible being off the bench and often pass first. Imo that means we have a chance
Yeah, he is literally a microwave scorer, also it’s not like Cal can’t sub him if he’s off. When he kinda went crazy in the first half Cal had DJ into to sub but there was no stoppages.

He’s a work in progress who needs to be given a certain amount of rope because he is just that talented.

He’s the reason you pay Cal 9 million bucks and bring in support like John Welch. Titles are won when guys like Dillingham put it all together.
The reason we pay Cal 9 million is Barney is a idiot. Cal should be in a broadcast booth somewhere talking about nothing.

Reactions: NociHTTP
I'm more concerned with Edwards than Dillingham.
Yeah, but I think he's getting there. The good thing is he's willing to bide his time and not force a lot of stuff on offense while still working on defense. The worrisome thing is I thought he had tighter handles to attack the basket with.

Reactions: TheDude73
Yeah, he is literally a microwave scorer, also it’s not like Cal can’t sub him if he’s off. When he kinda went crazy in the first half Cal had DJ into to sub but there was no stoppages.

Glad he made the right call. Cal made the wrong call in the Kansas game by subbing him out while he was tearing it up. That was critical error imo

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT