ADVERTISEMENT

Dillingham tries to do too much

IL Wildcat

Feb 20, 2003
Southern IL
I love Dillingham's passion and will to win. His quickness is unmatched. He can go off and take over games. He's not just a streaky shooter, either. He's been consistently knocking down shots all season and it's nearly impossible to stay in front of him on drives.

But his passion boils over at times, especially when the team is behind or he feels like he must make something happen. His bad habit is to try to make highlight plays, so he reaches in trying to make a steal or he throws an impossible pass and turns it over. He also tends to get irritated with missed shots and tries to immediately steal the ball, and he fouls.

The fouls are the biggest problem. He has GOT to stop fouling so much. He needs to allow that passion for winning keep him on the floor rather than trying to make the impossible play. If he could have played more than 6 minutes in the first half of that Miss St game, we might have had a lead instead of a being down by 8. We need him on the floor. If he can fix this, it will be huge for the team.

Plenty of other shit to worry about before Dilly.

For example, DJ and our bigs. They will define us, and how far we go in the tournament. Won't have anything to do with dynamic trio of Guards in Reeves, Dilly, and Shep.
But, how many times has Dillingham had to sit when we needed him? If he stays in the Kansas game, we win. If he could have played more at Miss St, we might have won by double digits. My point is not so much to criticize him. I love his play and think he's likely the most talented guy on the team, with the highest ceiling. I just want him on the floor and he keeps having to sit for his undisciplined play.

But, how many times has Dillingham had to sit when we needed him? If he stays in the Kansas game, we win. If he could have played more at Miss St, we might have won by double digits. My point is not so much to criticize him. I love his play and think he's likely the most talented guy on the team, with the highest ceiling. I just want him on the floor and he keeps having to sit for his undisciplined play.

Cal needs to play the trio together more often for 1. That will help more than anything. After that, yeah, they also have to stay out of foul trouble. But I'm telling you. The bigs have to step up, and DJ has to start playing better if we want to make a Final-4 run.

The same reason why Rob is great is also the reason why he's so frustrating. He wants to win and is confident in his own game. He's a dawg, but he thinks he can make any play at any time, even the low percentage ones.

He just needs to learn to make the smarter play at times (which should come with experience), but you still have to live with some risk taking in order to not dampen the aggressiveness that makes Rob great.

He's going to be a star in the NBA.

The same reason why Rob is great is also the reason why he's so frustrating. He wants to win and is confident in his own game. He's a dawg, but he thinks he can make any play at any time, even the low percentage ones.

He just needs to learn to make the smarter play at times (which should come with experience), but you still have to live with some risk taking in order to not dampen the aggressiveness that makes Rob great.

Agree. But we'll never see the 2nd season where the kid averages 20+ per game, and is in the national player of the year convo. It's 1 and done.

Yep, I agree with that. I've been saying it all season as well. You have to live with his wild plays because you don't want to handcuff him and his creativity. You live with the mistakes.

And truly, I can live with the turnovers. But the reason the fouls are the bigger problem is because they take him out of the game. I think he's got enough experience under his belt at this point to put a stop to the fouls.

There's probably gonna be a game or two coming up when getting into foul trouble is out of his control. But I do agree, he needs to work on it.

Reactions: IL Wildcat
I love Dillingham's passion and will to win. His quickness is unmatched. He can go off and take over games. He's not just a streaky shooter, either. He's been consistently knocking down shots all season and it's nearly impossible to stay in front of him on drives.

But his passion boils over at times, especially when the team is behind or he feels like he must make something happen. His bad habit is to try to make highlight plays, so he reaches in trying to make a steal or he throws an impossible pass and turns it over. He also tends to get irritated with missed shots and tries to immediately steal the ball, and he fouls.

The fouls are the biggest problem. He has GOT to stop fouling so much. He needs to allow that passion for winning keep him on the floor rather than trying to make the impossible play. If he could have played more than 6 minutes in the first half of that Miss St game, we might have had a lead instead of a being down by 8. We need him on the floor. If he can fix this, it will be huge for the team.
Yet Reed Sheppard leads the team in fouls this year with 118, yet I have never seen it argued ,we can't play him cause he fouls too much.As for your other point about trying to do too much,I tend to agree, however the last 3 years and a couple of times this season I have watched us fall apart offensively in the last 3 minutes is because often ,IMO, is because our players don't want to take the big shot,they don't want the ball late
Reed has especially passed up late game shots many times. The greatest thing I saw against Bama was Reed deciding he did WANT the ball late and we saw the results. As for Dillingham is he in the game and nobody else wants it he damn sure does,hard to fault to me at least.

Yet Reed Sheppard leads the team in fouls this year with 118, yet I have never seen it argued ,we can't play him cause he fouls too much.As for your other point about trying to do too much,I tend to agree, however the last 3 years and a couple of times this season I have watched us fall apart offensively in the last 3 minutes is because often ,IMO, is because our players don't want to take the big shot,they don't want the ball late
Reed has especially passed up late game shots many times. The greatest thing I saw against Bama was Reed deciding he did WANT the ball late and we saw the results. As for Dillingham is he in the game and nobody else wants it he damn sure does,hard to fault to me at least.
I think you're looking at assists instead of fouls. Dillingham leads the team in fouls with 70 fouls on the season. Sheppard has 119 assists but only 53 fouls. But Dillingham does lose minutes pretty often due to fouls.

I think you're looking at assists instead of fouls. Dillingham leads the team in fouls with 70 fouls on the season. Sheppard has 119 assists but only 53 fouls. But Dillingham does lose minutes pretty often due to fouls.
He finished the game with 3 fouls, he could have played more.

• Love
Reactions: ManitouDan
He finished the game with 3 fouls, he could have played more.
Did you watch the game or are you just looking at final numbers? Dillingham picked up 2 quick fouls in the first half. Sure, Calipari could have played him more but he likely would have picked up his 3rd very quickly. This is the way Cal (and many other coaches) handles first half fouls. You pick up 2 and you're done for the first half. Then, when Dillingham went in to the 2nd half, he picked up a quick 3rd foul as well. So, he goes back to the bench again. Again, that is a very common approach to picking up a 3rd foul so quickly. He fouls too much. He tries to do too much. He reaches too much. He goes for steals too much. He tries to win the game on a dramatic play and overcome a large deficit on every time down the floor when the team is losing. It's passionate but lack of discipline. He has to learn to control that passion in the heat of the moment.

I love Dillingham. He's one of my favorite players on this team. Anyone who thinks this thread was made because I'm just being a critic doesn't get my point at all. I WANT this guy on the floor. The team NEEDS this guy on the floor more.

Agree. But we'll never see the 2nd season where the kid averages 20+ per game, and is in the national player of the year convo. It's 1 and done.
His efficiency numbers are much higher than Iverson's when Allen was a freshman at G'Town.

The difference was that AI tore down about 3 steals/game and was elite on both sides of the the ball.

Dillingham's offense is reminiscent of AI. With a second season, I could see him making a case for being the #1 pick like AI was. Of course, like you said, Mike-D, we'll never see it, but it's an interesting thought.

Cal needs to be a little bit looser with that 2nd foul rule/3rd foul in the 2nd half.

Your best players have to be in the floor.

Reactions: ManitouDan
Talking about that kids basketball IQ, when you’ve been banned idk how many times and keep coming back. How ironic is that?
I’m not sure who you are but I won’t fight with you or anybody. Reed shows questionable basketball IQ late in games at times as well so it will be interesting. My comment was fair. Enjoy your day.

Last edited:
I’m

I’m not sure who you are but I won’t fight with you or anybody. Reed shows questionable basketball IQ late in game at times as well so it will be interesting. My comment was fair. Enjoy your day.
The older he gets and more experience, he will learn to play with better control. I agree with the OP, he tries to do too much.

Reactions: Cold Stout Beer
One thought , if we were not behind so many times when Rob was inserted maybe he wouldnt feel such pressure to go off ? or too hyped because he's setting watching us fall behind ? He comes in and knows the onus falls on him to get us back in the game or get ahead ? Well we could try starting him . .. just try it , maybe he plays more relaxed . trust in cal though .

Dilly just needs to cut down on the dumb fouls - it usually happens after he misses a shot or gets bumped. Can't be fouling people at half court or beyond.

I'm fine with his aggressiveness but yes it could always come at a bad time in March.

One thought , if we were not behind so many times when Rob was inserted maybe he wouldnt feel such pressure to go off ? or too hyped because he's setting watching us fall behind ? He comes in and knows the onus falls on him to get us back in the game or get ahead ? Well we could try starting him . .. just try it , maybe he plays more relaxed . trust in cal though .
This is a good point

Cal needs to be a little bit looser with that 2nd foul rule/3rd foul in the 2nd half.

Your best players have to be in the floor.
Maybe so. Maybe he could make an exception especially for Dillingham, since he is often in that situation. OR Dillingham could just exert some self control and listen when the coach says "don't foul." 😀

He does try to do too much and he does go too fast. But I would much rather have a guy that needs to get under control and slow down than a guy I have to push to go.

Reactions: IL Wildcat

This could have been solved some earlier in the year by playing him more imo.

Dillingham's style of play is volatile and he leads the team in fouls but he's undeniably one of our best players. I think the problem lies here -

Minutes per game
Sheppard 29
Dillingham 23
Reeves 31
Wagner 27

Team efficiency and +/-
Sheppard 34.8 / +365
Dillingham 27.2 / +204
Reeves 26.7 / +264
Wagner 14.8 / +34

If I were Coach Cal and not just a Basketball Bennie, I would bring Wagner off the bench in a more limited role. He's our 4th best guard and there's nothing wrong with that. The 3 guards in front of him are really good and some of the best in the nation. But roles on this team need to be changed IMO

Reactions: 1war
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT