ADVERTISEMENT

Taking Dillingham out while he’s on a burner

Jamal Mercer

All-American
Feb 7, 2008
Michigan
RD makes 4 shots in a row in the first half. Obviously in the zone….Cal takes him out.

Cal did the same exact effing thing in the Kansas game after he scored about 16 in a row.

You don’t take people out that are on fire like that until they miss a damn shot.

Add it to the LONG list of things our coach does/doesn’t do that makes zero sense.

RD makes 4 shots in a row in the first half. Obviously in the zone….Cal takes him out.

Cal did the same exact effing thing in the Kansas game after he scored about 16 in a row.

You don’t take people out that are on fire like that until they miss a damn shot.

Add it to the LONG list of things our coach does/doesn’t do that makes zero sense.
I just don't get it. He single handedly put us up 5 and was on fire.

I wonder if we've gotten to the point where the depth will be a detriment because Cal will try to get everyone too many minutes.

Started tonight. Took Rob out so dj could get more minutes (despite playing awful). Played Bradshaw and onyenso together which sent us back to the pre Welch struggles. That's why we looked like the UK offense of five years ago. That's before we add back another good piece very soon in thiero.

For this team to truly reach it's March potential, a few guys will have to get their feelings hurt. Cal of the last several years refused to make that critical move. Will he repeat those errors? Looks like it

I don’t see how you can have 2 guys who over dribble in there at the same time.
Cal is best at cooling someone off, as long as he’s wearing our colors.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
I wonder if we've gotten to the point where the depth will be a detriment because Cal will try to get everyone too many minutes.
Yep.

Let's be honest, the platoon was a great marketing gimmick. In reality, it was the only way Cal could pretend to know which lineups to play with that much talent.

Cal does better when he only has 7 guys he can play. The title team wasn't deep. The Final Four the year before had 6 guys (plus 1/2 if you add Vargas).

Cal needs to platoon with this group or make the hard decision to just cut Edwards out of the rotation entirely. Bradshaw isn't far behind.

When/if Thiero comes back.
These 6 need to play. Wagner,Reeves,Mitchell, Thiero,Sheppard and Dillingham.
Just rotate the 3 big men. Playing time is dictated each game depending on who is playing the best. Wouldn't have to worry about foul trouble at the 5 spot either.
Mitchell and Thiero can handle the 4 spot. No need for any twin tower non sense. Reeves at the 3. Thiero can spell him. Rotate Sheppard Dillingham and Wagner at the 1 and 2 spots. All three can play together as well.
Edwards is mop up or 2 minutes in the first half only till he decides he wants to play.

Reactions: chroix and MbergCat
Cal does better when he only has 7 guys he can play. The title team wasn't deep. The Final Four the year before had 6 guys (plus 1/2 if you add Vargas).
Most teams are like this in March. Go check box scores from Final Four games. Those teams are only playing 7 or 8 guys. If a 9th guy plays it's for like 90 seconds or so.

Reactions: grevey35
Absolutely. He doesn’t know how to effectively manage minutes and has no substitution pattern at all as the game plays out. Just randomly starts moving guys in and out. He looked rather clueless walking the sideline tonight. We aren’t doing anything with him at the helm. He’s just a clueless moron!!!

I've defended Cal plenty. That was as bad as I've seen him in a while.

Looking at the box score you'd think he threw the game....that's how bad it was.

Classic Calipari move, sit down the player who's on pace to score like mad.

This game just brought back the potential Calipari's had for years and only one title to show for it.

He doesn’t know how to effectively manage minutes and has no substitution pattern at all as the game plays out. Just randomly starts moving guys in and out.
I think part of the problem is we haven't been at full strength all year. Every time a guy starts playing for the first time you gotta figure out what new lineups combinations work. Seems like this was the type of game to just stick to a few you know work and try to escape with a win.

Reactions: grevey35

His substituting is so strange almost every game. This was probably the worst of the year plus when he had O, Bradshaw and Edward's in together early on I was like what the hell. Then we only shot 13 3's and that's a strong point for us. And we're down big on the road. We barely took 1 the last 8 minutes. South Carolina milks the clock. No way your gonna get back in that game with long twos and pounding the rim.

I think part of the problem is we haven't been at full strength all year. Every time a guy starts playing for the first time you gotta figure out what new lineups combinations work. Seems like this was the type of game to just stick to a few you know work and try to escape with a win.
Also the type of game the last 8 minutes you could get Z some more work on the floor in an SEC road environment but instead we got to watch another dose of Edwards. 10 total minutes for Z tonight who never got quite in the flow of things as he did on Saturday.

Even if he misses a shot, don't take him out. If he gets winded, call time out. Really don't understand why that is so hard to do. The fans see it yet the 9 million $ idiot can't

I said the same thing in the game thread. Dilly is on a short list of players in the country that, when the switch is flipped, can go on an unbelievable shooting spurt. He showed it in the KU game and the end of regulation against a&m. I'm not sure if Cal is just clueless or if he's just messing with every roster combination he possibly can during the regular season, but it absolutely kills us when he sits a hot hand.

He has always done that. No matter the year.

I've defended Cal plenty. That was as bad as I've seen him in a while.

Looking at the box score you'd think he threw the game....that's how bad it was.
I gotta hand it to you, I saw your screen name and immediately thought “okay, how’s bro gonna defend THIS one.” Lol

Mind boggling coaching last night. Trim down your damn rotation and play the right guys, Cal. And for crying out loud when you’ve got a guy on your team that’s capable of heating up like Malik Monk, don’t take him out after he just made 3 straight shots and the rest of the team is struggling to get offense. The lineup combinations and substitution patterns last night looked like an AAU coach just playing all the guys without a care in the world whether or not they won the game.

Edwards hasn’t been at full strength all year and yet Cal still hasn’t figured out that he should be out of the line up

I gotta hand it to you, I saw your screen name and immediately thought “okay, how’s bro gonna defend THIS one.” Lol

Mind boggling coaching last night. Trim down your damn rotation and play the right guys, Cal. And for crying out loud when you’ve got a guy on your team that’s capable of heating up like Malik Monk, don’t take him out after he just made 3 straight shots and the rest of the team is struggling to get offense. The lineup combinations and substitution patterns last night looked like an AAU coach just playing all the guys without a care in the world whether or not they won the game.

I just don't find him to be as bad generally as some do in terms of in game coaching. But he was bad last night in so many ways.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT