ADVERTISEMENT

Tell me what you believe our path to 8-4 is.

You think we lose to U6 at their place but beat FLA at their place? SMH
No I don't, and if you read, I specifically stated I don't view the other games as necessarily losses, just unsure if we will win them. And I view the FL game as imperative to team morale and motivation, thus needed in our quest.

First we must win 7, then 1 more...j/k 8 will be tough but it must be done this season, we lose a lot off this team. I would like 9 after the bowl

(1) I was at the game on the 40 yard line and watched UK’s WRs beat UL’s CBs. Two former college players sit right in front of me and they were commenting on how UK’s WRs were getting open. On one play SJ attempted a pass down the right sideline from him and grossly under threw the ball allowing the CB to get coverage when the WR had to come back. I am sorry you did not see it on TV. That sideline pass, by the way, WAS broken up. The CB was able to get under the WR because the ball was under thrown. So, what an announcer says is not necessarily the whole story about what happens on the field. But, your football brain is bigger than mine. You know that.

(2) Rutgers - every college football fan in the country rejoiced at that loss, because UL had played a weak schedule and were undeservedly getting votes and consideration for a NC. It was a product of a weak non-P5 schedule and having a good team. That was a good loss for college football. It would have been a disaster had they won.

(3) UL was on the cusp and in the discussion of the playoff when they went to Houston. It was a revenge game for the fans and for the players. A win would have propelled them into the top 4. But, they were out coached, out played and embarrassed. The Houston QB and Houston defense undid UL and created the blueprint that created an awful Heisman QB-returning season in 2017. Hard to believe that is not the worse loss for UL in the past decade. Worse than Rutgers.

(1) OK, if you say so, but I rewatched the second and 3rd quarters and did not see much in the way of open receivers. The Cards played a lot of 2 deep zone. Once the ball is in the air defenders leave their man or zone to go to the ball. This often looks like "open" receivers. By and large it looked to me that Johnson went to the "right" receiver but oftentimes his timing was slow (i.e., should have got the ball out a bit earlier in the route). He does not exactly have a laser arm and his passes tend to "hang" thus giving the DB more time to get to the ball. He was 5 of 12 the first half and 3 of 7 the second half. Not exactly the same game as he had the year before. On the Wildcat pitch back play he was focused on going deep to his left and definitely missed a wide open guy on the other side of the field.

(2) Undeservedly getting votes and consideration for a NC? Good loss for college football? Well, OK, if you say so. I think a lot of "football fans in the country" (but not UK fans [winking]) would have been happy to see a newcomer crash the Old Boys Football Club but that's just me. Sagarin-wise, UofL finished #5, played the #27 SOS and went 3-1 against the Top 30. tOSU finished #4, played the #38 SOS (that includes their BCS opponent, #1 ranked FL) and finished 3-1 against the Top 30. FL clobbered tOSU in the game. May well have done the same to UofL.

(3) Yes, the Cards were looking pretty good and got up to #5 before that ugly Houston loss which was followed by a loss to UK as a 28 point favorite and a bowl beatdown by LSU. OTOH, the Rutgers loss was followed by winning out. I am not sure a 1 loss Cardinal team would have made the 2016 playoffs but am 100% sure an undefeated regular season in 2006 would have put the Cards in the BCS championship against FL.

I think he's disingenuous at best, but in this case, I think his logic is sound. The rutgers loss (theoretically) cost UL a shot at the national championship game. The UK game stakes weren't as large, but it was a loss to their main rival on their home field in a game in which they were favored by 28 points. Hard to argue with him in this case.
Thank you, STUCK. Regardless of the other losses that year, that home field loss to UK as a HUGE favorite was absolutely brutal to the Cardinal fan base.

Peace

(1) OK, if you say so, but I rewatched the second and 3rd quarters and did not see much in the way of open receivers. The Cards played a lot of 2 deep zone. Once the ball is in the air defenders leave their man or zone to go to the ball. This often looks like "open" receivers. By and large it looked to me that Johnson went to the "right" receiver but oftentimes his timing was slow (i.e., should have got the ball out a bit earlier in the route). He does not exactly have a laser arm and his passes tend to "hang" thus giving the DB more time to get to the ball. He was 5 of 12 the first half and 3 of 7 the second half. Not exactly the same game as he had the year before. On the Wildcat pitch back play he was focused on going deep to his left and definitely missed a wide open guy on the other side of the field.

(2) Undeservedly getting votes and consideration for a NC? Good loss for college football? Well, OK, if you say so. I think a lot of "football fans in the country" (but not UK fans [winking]) would have been happy to see a newcomer crash the Old Boys Football Club but that's just me. Sagarin-wise, UofL finished #5, played the #27 SOS and went 3-1 against the Top 30. tOSU finished #4, played the #38 SOS (that includes their BCS opponent, #1 ranked FL) and finished 3-1 against the Top 30. FL clobbered tOSU in the game. May well have done the same to UofL.

(3) Yes, the Cards were looking pretty good and got up to #5 before that ugly Houston loss which was followed by a loss to UK as a 28 point favorite and a bowl beatdown by LSU. OTOH, the Rutgers loss was followed by winning out. I am not sure a 1 loss Cardinal team would have made the 2016 playoffs but am 100% sure an undefeated regular season in 2006 would have put the Cards in the BCS championship against FL.

Thank you, STUCK. Regardless of the other losses that year, that home field loss to UK as a HUGE favorite was absolutely brutal to the Cardinal fan base.

Peace

I am sure you are right. I just don’t understand defense. The WRs slowing down for under thrown balls probably just was cover two. Good call.

And, if you think college football fans not UL fans thought UL playing a wimpy schedule deserved to play for the NC, I am sure you have the pulse of college football.

I am sure you are right. I just don’t understand defense. The WRs slowing down for under thrown balls probably just was cover two. Good call.

And, if you think college football fans not UL fans thought UL playing a wimpy schedule deserved to play for the NC, I am sure you have the pulse of college football.

I don't have an opinion on the defensive philosophy used during last year's UL game (I got disgusted and lost at halftime). I do, however, have an opinion on UL 2006 being a national championship contender. UL's success in those days was 100% a result of schedule. They would have been a debacle in the title game and it was a sham that they were even in that position.

Even though I enjoyed UL's status as a second-class citizen in C-USA and other second-tier leagues, the good thing about the ACC is that UL will never luck into some national title or high-level game that they don't deserve so long as they have to go through Clemson, FSU, and a team like Miami from the other division.

Reactions: Caveman Catfan
If we can't go 8-4 with these players, Stoops needs to move on cause next season we will be 3-9

Because the other SEC schools stopped acquiring players?

And, hold that prediction someplace. I don’t want you running from it when UK does much better than you think in 2019. :)

12 games against EKU and you might see 8-4.
Stupid post but whatever...

I guess we could also play USC adn Mizzou 12 time to get to 8-4 seeing as we've pretty much dominated them both the past handful of seasons.

While I won't predict 8 wins this season, I also will not at this point concede A&M and UL on the road. Both of those road games will be against good teams in tough environments. If we have a punter and kicker, I think there is a chance UK surprises one of those teams. That said, I think it may take UK playing at its best to beat USClite for the fifth time in a row.
This is my thought.

I think we potentially drop the USC game and steal one of the AM, MSU, UL games.

Peace
If U of L in 2006 hadn’t lost to Rutgers, and if they had been selected for the BCS Championship game it would have been against Ohio State, not Florida.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT