ADVERTISEMENT

Teams driving it down your throat....Solution

If you want to WIN games and stay out of foul trouble, you zone on occassion.

If not, you LOSE on the road with whistle happy, crowd capitulating striped shirts.

But as all have stated correctly, it's a player's first program.

This. All you have to do from having them drive it straight to the rim is, 1. Have your guards stay in front of their man, and 2. keep Nick out of foul trouble, so he can protect the rim. 24 minutes in the game is not enough for him.

UK was getting outrebounded bad enough for a zone. Played zone for one possession and it ended in an offensive rebound for South Carolina.
So, one possession proves we can’t play zone? OK. Sound reasoning. LOL. I guess all of those offensive boards USC pulled down when we were playing man can just be discounted. Damn, do some of you even think before posting bullshit.

So, one possession proves we can’t play zone? OK. Sound reasoning. LOL. I guess all of those offensive boards USC pulled down when we were playing man can just be discounted. Damn, do some of you even think before posting bullshit.
I never said they couldn't play zone. My point was that Cal isn't going to play zone if the same deficiencies in man are going to be exploited in zone too. I think if he felt UK could have won by playing zone then he would have. I don't think it would have made a difference.

And what's up with the hostility? Can you have an adult conversation without cursing or insults?

Reactions: AndrewWPS19
UK was getting outrebounded bad enough for a zone. Played zone for one possession and it ended in an offensive rebound for South Carolina.
Well, USC had at least 20 offensive rebounds so you can't really blame it on the zone... I hate the switch on the ball screens - leaves us out of position way too often. Fight over or under the screens or mix it up but always switching is just not working.

I never said they couldn't play zone. My point was that Cal isn't going to play zone if the same deficiencies in man are going to be exploited in zone too. I think if he felt UK could have won by playing zone then he would have. I don't think it would have made a difference.

And what's up with the hostility? Can you have an adult conversation without cursing or insults?

For the most part, Cal isn’t going to play zone, period. It’s his biggest flaw in my eyes. We did a lot of things wrong last night, but the biggest reason we lost was our total inability to stop USC drives to the basket in the second half when we gave up a whopping 56 points. A zone would’ve definitely helped helped with that problem. I don’t ever want us to play zone for long stretches, but I would like to see us switching up our defense to keep teams off balance offensively. We’ve got to be one of the easiest teams in the country to offensive game plan for because we always do the same thing defensively.
FYI, there was no “hostility”. If I’m hostile there will be little doubt.

For the most part, Cal isn’t going to play zone, period. It’s his biggest flaw in my eyes. We did a lot of things wrong last night, but the biggest reason we lost was our total inability to stop USC drives to the basket in the second half when we gave up a whopping 56 points. A zone would’ve definitely helped helped with that problem. I don’t ever want us to play zone for long stretches, but I would like to see us switching up our defense to keep teams off balance offensively. We’ve got to be one of the easiest teams in the country to offensive game plan for because we always do the same thing defensively.
FYI, there was no “hostility”. If I’m hostile there will be little doubt.
I don't think it would have mattered just because of how the game was being officiated. UK couldn't be aggressive, period.

I stated this in the game thread kinda tongue in cheek but I have to wonder -- Do we even attempt to stop straight line drives to the basket ? Hell I'm an old man who was taught NEVER to give up the baseline . Maybe in his new school of thought you let the opposing guard drive to the hoop ? I ask this honestly -- when was the last time you saw a Ky defender move his feet in front of an opposing guard and stone cold stop his ass at the Elbow ? Hagans can be a nasty defender -- he also gets blown past like a guy wearing lead shoes constantly. Then Nick trues to block , shot is missed , Nicks guy get rebound .. washrinserepeat.

So what, it was only one possession. How many times did our m-m defense get shredded? They out rebounded us even when we did play m-m. Cal is just not gonna play zone no matter what. NBA development is more important to him.

The man to man defense rebounding is poor because 3 guys go to block a shot and leave wide open lanes for offensive rebounders

The worst defense is a man to man that allows straight line drives and bigs arriving late to try and block a shot

It’s the only way for a poor offensive team to score 56 points in a half

Cal is so stubborn nobody has the guts on his staff to tell him he might want to change

We didn’t go into any kind of zone until cal got tossed, did we?

It worked like a charm. Really seemed to throw Arkansas off balance.

Reactions: Kybluedude
Love a good matchup zone which is what they played yesterday

They left non shooters open and played man on their main driver and then shaded Joe everywhere he floated

Musselman had no clue how to attack it

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT