ADVERTISEMENT

Pick Your Poison

LXWildcat

Sophomore
Nov 25, 2023
The way I see it either your defense is good but your offense can only put up 60 to 70 pts a game and risk getting beat on a off night or your offense is elite with poor defense but you can put up 85 to 100 pts per game but also risk getting beat on a off night.

Question is would you rather have a good defense or an elite offense that can put score a lot of teams?

I get tempo is part of great offense and you’ll givr up more points as possession increases….

But giving up drives to bucket (Dilly snd Reed) or poor rebounding at times (Mitchell and our guards are allergic to getting inside to help out))

I get tempo is part of great offense and you’ll givr up more points as possession increases….

But giving up drives to bucket (Dilly snd Reed) or poor rebounding at times (Mitchell and our guards are allergic to getting inside to help out))
Dilly and Reed? Wagner can not stop a drive at all!

Last edited:
I'll take the elite offense. We seem to play half the game with good enough defense then we coast. You can't do that come Tourney time because there is no next game. I just wanna blow people out for a whole game and not half of it.

Defense is what wins titles. Definitely going to be nights the shots are not falling
Tell that to the Golden State Warriors the 14-15 team who had a bad defense but won by outscoring opponents. It can be done and if Kentucky wins it solely based off an elite offense then it could change college basketball. Warriors changed the NBA after that season and maybe it’s finally catching up in college basketball

Reactions: EliteBlue
How many titles did he win?
Not many but his style was fun to watch hey I agree with you it's hard to win the big one with no defense unfortunately we are 6 weeks away until madness and this team still does not play hard nose defense so maybe a high octane offense gives this team the best chance

I love this team but I am 70 and Reed couldn’t guard me. He is never in a guarding position and always gambling. Cal needs to teach them but they will get better with time. Hopefully it won’t be too late.

• Sad
Reactions: deep3
I wish! I was telling my son about those LM teams when we were discussing leading the country in scoring.
Man that team could score and they went 90 feet doing it both sides of the ball fun to watch your team has to be in top notch condition to play that style

Reactions: EliteBlue
I don’t disagree dj isn’t lockdown. And I’m not trying to take a jab at a player over another. But Reed and Dilly are well below in ball defense then Dj

You know what's crazy is our offense could definitely be better the amount of bunnies we miss is crazy, Wagner steal and missed lay up, Edwards missed lay up on the left side, Bradshaw missing a 2 foot shot, we should've had 120 last night lol

Even given the op's choice I wouldn't want a team that sucked on offense or defense even if we were great at the other. With our current team we don't have to choose; we've already got the offense so we just have to get a little better on defense and we've got it all.

The way I see it either your defense is good but your offense can only put up 60 to 70 pts a game and risk getting beat on a off night or your offense is elite with poor defense but you can put up 85 to 100 pts per game but also risk getting beat on a off night.

Question is would you rather have a good defense or an elite offense that can put score a lot of teams?
False choice.

Tell that to the Golden State Warriors the 14-15 team who had a bad defense but won by outscoring opponents. It can be done and if Kentucky wins it solely based off an elite offense then it could change college basketball. Warriors changed the NBA after that season and maybe it’s finally catching up in college basketball
That is a myth. Thompson was one of the best two-way players in the league at the time and Draymond is a great defender.

I know Matt said this on the post-game show but he was incorrect.

One thing that hurts us guarding man to man. We leave our feet and jump on every head fake.

Our guards act like they’ve never work on defensive shell drill. Where they close out and slide the feet with effort!

I have been screaming all year and years previous when we have had this much depth, but I wish we would do a little trapping and pressing to help create easy transition offense and help the defense. Not full court 40 minutes, but a surprise trap or 3/4 court press. It definitely would help the slow starts we have had in several games. It would get the team loose early and relaxed out and running the break. The slow, lethargic starts we have had , we should have instilled a jolt to the slow motion and bad shooting, defensive effort to start games.

I have been screaming all year and years previous when we have had this much depth, but I wish we would do a little trapping and pressing to help create easy transition offense and help the defense. Not full court 40 minutes, but a surprise trap or 3/4 court press. It definitely would help the slow starts we have had in several games. It would get the team loose early and relaxed out and running the break. The slow, lethargic starts we have had , we should have instilled a jolt to the slow motion and bad shooting, defensive effort to start games.
Might trick some coaches into thinking they should try to press a pressing team, which would play right into our hand

A other thing that needs to happy. Use the bench at the end of games. Saturday got very very sloppy the last 10 minutes. It was a super exciting 30 minutes, but the final 10 was downright a mood killer. To dominate a game upn28, and win by 9 was a terrible finish to an otherwise exciting game. I have seen more defense in pick up games at the Y than what we showed down the stretch. This post is not meant to be a Debbie downer or shitting on the team, but I would have liked to see at least some effort. Call timeout, sub or whatever was needed.

We have fast guards and tons of length inside. No reason we cannot be a great defensive team. Just have to have discipline.

Even if our D doesn't really improve, there are ways to mitigate the damage.

1. Run the opponents' shooters off the line
2. Convert and-one opportunities
3. Hit 35% from three
4. Run and gun
5. Switch defenses, even OCCASIONALLY. As some others have said, you don't need a zone, you can do a trap or a press once in a while to shake things up.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT