ADVERTISEMENT

Stock Advice Thread

images

I always get a laugh out of people that are short saying they expect the market to go to eye poppingly low levels.........what they won't tell you is a) they don't believe what they are saying and b) they will cover their short well before anyone knows it.
Funny how AMD just reported this shit warning. Yep just me making shit up as I go along.

Will I be short forever? Hell no… But why not make money on the way down as well?

Reactions: Bluesbrother
Funny how AMD just reported this shit warning. Yep just me making shit up as I go along.

Will I be short forever? Hell no… But why not make money on the way down as well?
You never apologize for taking what the market offers ... that's what traders do. Those who would criticize those who trade the short side are probably the same ones whose account you drain. LOL.

You never apologize for taking what the market offers ... that's what traders do. Those who would criticize those who trade the short side are probably the same ones whose account you drain. LOL.

Only a dumb a$$ day trades, whether it's on the short or long side. I laugh at shorts. They hate people like me that invest for dividends, never sell a single share and live comfortably off of those dividends. There's not one single retail short that wouldn't sign up for that, yet every single one of them is dishonest and says they wouldn't want that. Clowns.

When one of my dividend stocks goes down, I see bonehead shorts thinking they can scare me, LOL. It gets under their skin that I don't sell and actually am able to buy more shares and add more income (mail box money) when the stock is lower. Shorts are greedy and highly uneducated, for the most part.

Glad for you, James, that Kroger monopoly where I live mean no change, moldy cheese, etc, they don’t care. We buy more and more things at Aldi’s, friendlier employees, too.
Kroger has been inching down but I have no reason to sell. Sold a little at $52 though. Take your moldy cheese back. It's quality guaranteed. :) We seem to buy more and more at Costco.

However with the China semi headlines, I'll be selling some KLAC to lock in gains. Hopefully it gets to my target today or tomorrow. The thesis has simply changed.

Also bought more JEPI today before the market turned. Still adding to energy, S&P 500, healthcare and small cap funds weekly.

Wild day so far! Markets aren't all that scared of the fed anymore or getting close to that position it seems.

Kroger has been inching down but I have no reason to sell. Sold a little at $52 though. Take your moldy cheese back. It's quality guaranteed. :) We seem to buy more and more at Costco.

However with the China semi headlines, I'll be selling some KLAC to lock in gains. Hopefully it gets to my target today or tomorrow. The thesis has simply changed.

Also bought more JEPI today before the market turned. Still adding to energy, S&P 500, healthcare and small cap funds weekly.

Wild day so far! Markets aren't all that scared of the fed anymore or getting close to that position it seems.
The manager at Kroger claimed the date it was shipped to the store was not their responsibility or something lame, it’s two blocks away, only reason we still go there, but never again for cheese. Sometimes their fruits have looked moldy, better lately, must be an accident. Monopoly power.

Thanks. Nope. Holding until merger. I've wanted Kroger shares again for quite some time. Cheap play. Mucho respect for "Kay-Roger".
That works if it's an all-stock transaction. Devil's in the details. I can tell you it's been a good stock for periods like this. Although it's down 3% YTD, that beats the S&P 500 by about 20%.

Reactions: AustinTXCat
That works if it's an all-stock transaction. Devil's in the details. I can tell you it's been a good stock for periods like this. Although it's down 3% YTD, that beats the S&P 500 by about 20%.
Yeah, one of my worries. ACI about 1/2 value of KR. Thinking it goes 3:4 on share exchange. I'll still take it. KR = cash cow.

Reactions: jameslee32
The manager at Kroger claimed the date it was shipped to the store was not their responsibility or something lame, it’s two blocks away, only reason we still go there, but never again for cheese. Sometimes their fruits have looked moldy, better lately, must be an accident. Monopoly power.
He can't refuse to refund your money. If that happened, contact the home office. It's never been a problem for me. Sometimes my wife doesn't even have her receipt. I've taken back stuff that I simply don't like the taste. They can't resell any food, by law I assume.

I think I've mentioned this, if an item scans for more than the shelf price, they give you back up to $5 and you keep the item. I guess they had to limit the refund because the shelf prices are often wrong. They've gotten much better with those shelf labels. They had no choice. I bet our refunds over the years are in the hundreds of dollars.

He can't refuse to refund your money. If that happened, contact the home office. It's never been a problem for me. Sometimes my wife doesn't even have her receipt. I've taken back stuff that I simply don't like the taste. They can't resell any food, by law I assume.

I think I've mentioned this, if an item scans for more than the shelf price, they give you back up to $5 and you keep the item. I guess they had to limit the refund because the shelf prices are often wrong. They've gotten much better with those shelf labels. They had no choice. I bet our refunds over the years are in the hundreds of dollars.
Heh, years ago in Middlesboro, I returned a dinged-up microwave oven, purchased from Kroger, I'd just unpacked from the box. Darn thing would not come on. They took it back no questions asked.

My daughter asked me this past 4th July why I purchased all our food at Middlesboro Kroger rather than Walmart, where food costs are supposedly cheaper.

"Baby, it's all about brand loyalty. Believe me, you'll realize as much later."

Heh, years ago in Middlesboro, I returned a dinged-up microwave oven, purchased from Kroger, I'd just unpacked from the box. Darn thing would not come on. They took it back no questions asked.

My daughter asked me this past 4th July why I purchased all our food at Middlesboro Kroger rather than Walmart, where food costs are supposedly cheaper.

"Baby, it's all about brand loyalty. Believe me, you'll realize as much later."
We shop at both but Walmart can't compare to Kroger Marketplace stores for selection, quality and on many items, the prices are comparable. I look at it like Walmart is a good food store for non-perishables. Other than that, Kroger and Costco are the ones to beat. However Publix is moving in soon and if we get one close enough, we'll try it up here too. Their deli is great!

We shop at both but Walmart can't compare to Kroger Marketplace stores for selection, quality and on many items, the prices are comparable. I look at it like Walmart is a good food store for non-perishables. Other than that, Kroger and Costco are the ones to beat. However Publix is moving in soon and if we get one close enough, we'll try it up here too. Their deli is great!
The Publix in Fl were nice, but higher priced.

Glad the home office makes good, but why allow stores to display moldy cheese and fruits in the first place? I’ve seen this for several years, hear the same from many friends. Jackson, Tn-Kroger monopolizes the area currently.

Glad the home office makes good, but why allow stores to display moldy cheese and fruits in the first place? I’ve seen this for several years, hear the same from many friends. Jackson, Tn-Kroger monopolizes the area currently.
I agree. You have a shitty store and the bosses need to know that as well.

Reactions: lz
The Publix in Fl were nice, but higher priced.
My little brother is an exec at Publix HQ in Lakeland. He's worked nearly 25 years for the corp in various capacities. I've criticized Publix higher prices during discussions. He always counters with store cleanliness, freshness and quality, and he's largely correct.

By the way, Publix is employee-owned. Stock is not publicly traded.

EDIT: Just read Kroger may offer $25 billion or ~$47/share for Albertsons. Heh heh, sounds like a winner to me!

EDIT2: $34.10/share is the offer. My initial estimate proved correct. Bah!

EDIT3: ACI just declared a $6.85/sh special dividend.

s-l500.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: lz and jameslee32
My little brother is an exec at Publix HQ in Lakeland. He's worked nearly 25 years for the corp in various capacities. I've criticized Publix higher prices during discussions. He always counters with store cleanliness, freshness and quality, and he's largely correct.

By the way, Publix is employee-owned. Stock is not publicly traded.

EDIT: Just read Kroger may offer $25 billion or ~$47/share for Albertsons. Heh heh, sounds like a winner to me!

EDIT2: $34.10/share is the offer. My initial estimate proved correct. Bah!

EDIT3: ACI just declared a $6.85/sh special dividend.

s-l500.jpg
Always appreciate the two of you, will followup on future screwups to the home office!

I have to laugh at some of the self-declared investment experts I watch on you tube. So the question I have is do you listen to investment advise seriously from someone that wears a baseball hat backwards on their head? or does it not matter?

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Bluesbrother
I have to laugh at some of the self-declared investment experts I watch on you tube. So the question I have is do you take investment advise seriously from someone that wears a baseball hat backwards on their head? or does it not matter?
Personally, I’m pretty picky, make enough mistakes myself, but there’s at least two good investors I referred to on this thread, imo.

I don't know if this is the place to discuss broader international economic issues, but I'm looking to spur discussion, so here goes:

China has delayed indefinitely the release of its routine economic reports for the last quarter. This could be as simple as temporarily delaying the release so as not to take attention from the current national congress meeting to plan for the next 5 years...or it could be a sign that China's economy is not meeting targeted growth...or it could be a sign that China's economy is tanking.

Regardless of the numbers, China withholding the data should give everyone concern about China's economic transparency and whether we should even trust their numbers if they do release them later on.

I'll say this much, I no longer believe China or Russia (or any other country in the world) is poised to seriously challenge the U.S.'s economic and military world dominance for at least the next decade.

China’s numbers are to be ignored, government controlled reports

Then surely you must be concerned when the Chinese gov't is not even comfortable releasing its own doctored numbers.
I quit buying anything related to China. Yes, I realize China affects the entire market, but out of my control.

Only a dumb a$$ day trades, whether it's on the short or long side. I laugh at shorts. They hate people like me that invest for dividends, never sell a single share and live comfortably off of those dividends. There's not one single retail short that wouldn't sign up for that, yet every single one of them is dishonest and says they wouldn't want that. Clowns.
Calling another names is plainly ignorant. Without saying as much ... what you just said to me is that you can't read a chart adequately enough to profit in day trades. Many do and make a shit ton of money doing it so I suppose you're not one of those people. Leveraging trades with short-term options allows for trades that are extremely low risk with very high profit but only if you can read a chart with that purpose in mind. IMO, a person who can pull that off consistently but refuse to do so because you might think badly of them ... would truly be the dumbass. There are many ways to engage the markets and make money, some are more sophisticated and interesting while others are simplistic and boring. I'm pretty sure no one really cares how you make money or if you buy stock to collect a dividend. I know I don't care but I hope you do well and I don't think you are a dumbass for dividend investing but I can't speak for the rest of these fine folk on this board. Best of luck to you.

I quit buying anything related to China. Yes, I realize China affects the entire market, but out of my control.
I would tend to agree. Chinese companies that I have watched don't report earnings like all the other global companies listed on the exchanges. There are too many other companies to trade to worry about Chinese companies. I hope that changes in the future but until then I am not interested in what they're offering.

Reactions: AustinTXCat and lz
Why you invest in this cycle long after input costs like plastic and paper come crashing down. Price increases are usually permanent and investments are essentially a hedge.

Why you invest in this cycle long after input costs like plastic and paper come crashing down. Price increases are usually permanent and investments are essentially a hedge.
Price increases will only be permanent if demand continues to outpace supply. I can see what you mean if you are talking necessities like toilet paper, and I know economists talk about prices being "sticky" when they are going down, but when inflation squeezes everyone so much that they have to spend all their income on necessities and they have little to no discretionary income left over, retailers will be forced to lower prices to spur demand.

Edit: Here's an example, immediately after posting this I checked my personal e-mail and found an e-mail from Amazon for "Amazon Outlet," which purports to offer "Holiday savings on overstock items." Amazon is really trying to get ahead of the curve with the recent Prime early access sale and this new Amazon Outlet storefront. Trying to move stock before people realize they don't have the buying power they did before and tighten their belts.

Last edited:
So if corporate profits are at an amazingly high rate, why are the shares of most all stocks in the tank?
Most earnings are coming down and also revised lower by analysts to hopefully beat future expectations but to answer, it's the macro. Namely the Fed.

James, I very much wonder what happens if the Republicans gain the majority of both the House and Senate. We still have strong projections of a recession in 2023, but if the above happens, I plan to dump what’s left of my clean energy holdings, may increase my many fossil fuel stocks until the recession gets closer. If Congress is split, well, that’s usually positive for the market, but a recession may affect that thinking. I need more diversity, too early for industrials and tech, I do like Lilly, AZO, looking for more ideas. That’s my thoughts out loud, what are you, Austin and others thinking as the election approaches?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT