ADVERTISEMENT

Stock Advice Thread

James, I very much wonder what happens if the Republicans gain the majority of both the House and Senate. We still have strong projections of a recession in 2023, but if the above happens, I plan to dump what’s left of my clean energy holdings, may increase my many fossil fuel stocks until the recession gets closer. If Congress is split, well, that’s usually positive for the market, but a recession may affect that thinking. I need more diversity, too early for industrials and tech, I do like Lilly, AZO, looking for more ideas. That’s my thoughts out loud, what are you, Austin and others thinking as the election approaches?
Nobody is cutting rates with Powell in command so I don't think a lot changes in the macro either way other than maybe a Ukraine victory. Oil will steadily go higher, now with a floor of $70 basically mandated by the feds. Speculation will get destroyed and markets will try to find a bottom if the end is truly near for the rate hikes.

Sold some KLAC and WY today. I've cut my WY exposure by over half the past 18 months or so and these were both 2 of my largest stock positions other than AAPL.

Reactions: lz
James, I very much wonder what happens if the Republicans gain the majority of both the House and Senate. We still have strong projections of a recession in 2023, but if the above happens, I plan to dump what’s left of my clean energy holdings, may increase my many fossil fuel stocks until the recession gets closer. If Congress is split, well, that’s usually positive for the market, but a recession may affect that thinking. I need more diversity, too early for industrials and tech, I do like Lilly, AZO, looking for more ideas. That’s my thoughts out loud, what are you, Austin and others thinking as the election approaches?
Honestly, I believe we'll elect a split legislative branch, with R House and D Senate. Should bode well for next year. More interest rate increases coming, so expect further bond market carnage. Except for energy, I predict defense stocks and consumer defensive issues remain strong. Rest = meh, although regional banks show promise as takeover targets.

Except for a few issues, I'm actually holding for now. May add to EBKDY or purchase DB on a dip. Still long on everything. Adding more MPW as well. Might sell PARA for the tax loss. Own more PARA in an IRA, for which I paid much less.

In my opinion, some excellent value lies in Euro stocks because of $ - € exchange rates. Many great deals out there. $ will probably remain strong well into next year.

The market loves gridlock in the gub'ment. So, whether the GOP takes one or both houses, it shouldn't matter too much for 2023. Now, it "might" mean something for the next POTUS election in 2024. If the GOP owns both houses and they elect a GOP POTUS, things may change.

Plus, most recessions last around 18 months soooo, I think we should be in a for a good few yrs of market in 2023 and 2024.

Reactions: hmt5000
So if corporate profits are at an amazingly high rate, why are the shares of most all stocks in the tank?
The future and futures. I had my best year ever before the pandemic and then was back down to what I made 10 years ago. Every big fish is predicting a bad year in '23.... and they don't even mention '22 being bad.

So if corporate profits are at an amazingly high rate, why are the shares of most all stocks in the tank?
Share value is directly tied to market cycle which is a product of alignment of price across time. Long-term cycles composed of shorter-term cycles that are nested within the longer. At times these cycles are meshed and run together with large volatile swings in price while at other times they are in conflict or divergent and create a chaotic market condition with churning of price. None of this has anything to do with earnings nor profits nor anything fundamental which is the source of much confusion. It makes perfect sense to believe one should affect the other ... but in reality, there's no truth in it. Technical data will perfectly correlate to price action, but fundamental data will never correlate adequately to consistently explain/predict price movement.

Reactions: Deeeefense
The future and futures. I had my best year ever before the pandemic and then was back down to what I made 10 years ago. Every big fish is predicting a bad year in '23.... and they don't even mention '22 being bad.
I'm hearing a recession is almost a given for 2023 but some a predicting a soft landing.

Markets don't always decline in recessions. The average decline for the S&P 500 during the past nine recessions is 1.5% while the median decline is 3.4%. source Invesco

I use two TD Ameritrade accounts, one taxable. Noticed this message on taxable account last night:

"We want to let you know about an update to our Foreign Security pricing that may affect trading fees in your account.

Beginning November 3, 2022, for trades settled on or after this date, we will be increasing our Foreign Security fee to $44 + $6.95 commission per trade plus all applicable local market charges."

Paid $6.95 per trade for past two ADR purchases with zero complaints. $44 seems unacceptable. Plan on calling Monday for clarification. Believe high fee is for non ADR or OTC. Thought for a moment about future ADR trades using my Charles Schwab account, but then realized Schwab merged with Ameritrade. Meh, Ally, Fidelity or Vanguard are also options.

At any rate, good luck all.

• Wow
Reactions: jameslee32
Share value is directly tied to market cycle which is a product of alignment of price across time. Long-term cycles composed of shorter-term cycles that are nested within the longer. At times these cycles are meshed and run together with large volatile swings in price while at other times they are in conflict or divergent and create a chaotic market condition with churning of price. None of this has anything to do with earnings nor profits nor anything fundamental which is the source of much confusion. It makes perfect sense to believe one should affect the other ... but in reality, there's no truth in it. Technical data will perfectly correlate to price action, but fundamental data will never correlate adequately to consistently explain/predict price movement.
Warren Buffett might disagree with you.

I doubt that he would, and it wouldn't matter at all because I'm talking about apples and you oranges. Buffett looks at the markets from the perspective of a billionaire. As best as I can tell, Buffett's positions are volume positions and financed well enough to hold through the downturns using the futures to hedge their positions. He and other investors like him make their profits based on sheer volume over long hold times and the ability to use the loss side of his ledger to mitigate potential tax liabilities. You never hear about his losses. Buffett types are exceptions, the rest of us are the rule. Like I said earlier, there are many ways to engage the markets and Buffett does so as a billionaire unicorn. I can't approach the markets meaningfully, in the way that Buffett does, so I must have a different approach. At the end of the day, it's about Rate of Return for the money at risk. I would say Buffet's annual ROR is fairly low relative to "at-risk" funds invested. For guys like myself, using a low risk, high return approach made available by understanding how markets move in cycles makes my chance of success much higher in a much shorter period of time. Trying to invest like Buffett with a small account is a challenge, at best, unless you're a young person with the patience to make a long career of it. The answers are never necessarily easy, but they are interesting and rewarding ... so, what's not to like. :)

Last edited:
I doubt that he would, and it wouldn't matter at all because I'm talking about apples and you oranges. Buffett looks at the markets from the perspective of a billionaire. Buffett's positions are volume positions and financed well enough to hold through the downturns ... he and other investors like him make their profits based on sheer volume over long hold times and the ability to use the loss side of his ledger to mitigate potential tax liabilities. You never hear about his losses. Buffett types are exceptions, the rest of us are the rule. Like I said earlier, there are many ways to engage the markets and Buffett does so as a billionaire unicorn. I can't approach the markets meaningfully, in the way that Buffett does, so I must have a different approach. At the end of the day, it's about Rate of Return for the money at risk. I would say Buffet's annual ROR is fairly low relative to "at-risk" funds invested. For guys like myself, using a low risk, high return approach made available by understanding how markets move in cycles makes my chance of success much higher in a much shorter period of time. Trying to invest like Buffett with a small account is a challenge, at best, unless you're a young person with the patience to make it a career.
I looked at the historical returns of berskshire Hathaway compared to the S&P. Over a very long period (can’t remember what it was) it didn’t beat the S&P. I don’t think I went back to inception but looked at a several over several decades.

I looked at the historical returns of berskshire Hathaway compared to the S&P. Over a very long period (can’t remember what it was) it didn’t beat the S&P. I don’t think I went back to inception but looked at a several over several decades.
It doesn't surprise me ... Buffett very likely uses his market positions and holdings to mitigate tax liabilities. His approach to the markets are, for totally different reasons, fundamentally different than the rest of us. Once you have the kind of money he does, your goals many times are weighted more to preservation of capital rather than profit.

Reactions: Get Bucket$ and lz
It doesn't surprise me ... Buffett very likely uses his market positions and holdings to mitigate tax liabilities. His approach to the markets are, for totally different reasons, fundamentally different than the rest of us. Once you have the kind of money he does, your goals many times are weighted more to preservation of capital rather than profit.
Interesting, and I don’t disagree with you. Do you invest in terms of say, two year cycles, much longer or shorter? Individual stocks, ETFs, both, or other securities, if you don’t mind sharing?

One other point I would make, movement of price relative to earnings announcement is also because of cycle alignment. EA's usually come with overnight price gaps, but the direction is always controlled by the cycle alignment and not the announcement itself. TSLA just recently beat estimates, but the stock was punished to the downside overnight, which would make no sense using classical thinking but looking at the cycle the night before the EA, revealed the cycle alignment happened to be bearish at the time sending the stock lower on the open ... leaving the pundits to "explain" the adverse reaction and giving us something to talk about. I heard a very smart trader once say, "trading the markets is like Nintendo for adults". I think he was right and obviously several years ago.

Interesting, and I don’t disagree with you. Do you invest in terms of say, two year cycles, much longer or shorter? Individual stocks, ETFs, both, or other securities, if you don’t mind sharing?
The method I use can look at cycles in any timeframe that can be charted. My longest time interval is one year and from there broken down by quarter, month, week, hour, minutes. Shorter cycles are always nested within the longer cycle and are subordinate to the longer cycle. Reading and knowing the directional bias of the longer cycle begins to tell you the coming behavior of the shorter cycle price movement and that is where the trade is set. This all happens in a very dynamic way and will make a technical indicator that is lagging in single time frames behave in a predictive manner when considered across time, in this way.

Currently, I trade very short time intervals in an ETF, mostly. I only trade in options that buy-to-open and sell-to-close. I am not interested in complex option strategies because they're not as profitable. I only follow the best companies (currently 7 companies) with options that have the most liquidity and narrowest spreads. As for ETFs, I will trade the QQQ, SPY and IWM and for scalping only. The others are single stock positions for short or long Swing trades.

I appreciate everyone here who posts and shares their insight as I am always looking for ways to improve what I do. I am happy to share what I can. Although you and your friend's approach are different than mine ... I have much respect as I am also looking to learn to potentially improve my insight and system.

The method I use can look at cycles in any timeframe that can be charted. My longest time interval is one year and from there broken down by quarter, month, week, hour, minutes. Shorter cycles are always nested within the longer cycle and are subordinate to the longer cycle. Reading and knowing the directional bias of the longer cycle begins to tell you the coming behavior of the shorter cycle price movement and that is where the trade is set. This all happens in a very dynamic way and will make a technical indicator that is lagging in single time frames behave in a predictive manner when considered across time, in this way.

Currently, I trade very short time intervals in an ETF, mostly. I only trade in options that buy-to-open and sell-to-close. I am not interested in complex option strategies because they're not as profitable. I only follow the best companies (currently 7 companies) with options that have the most liquidity and narrowest spreads. As for ETFs, I will trade the QQQ, SPY and IWM and for scalping only. The others are single stock positions for short or long Swing trades.

I appreciate everyone here who posts and shares their insight as I am always looking for ways to improve what I do. I am happy to share what I can. Although you and your friend's approach are different than mine ... I have much respect as I am also looking to learn to potentially improve my insight and system.
We’ve had a few posters here who do options, they probably got bored with those of us who are regulars here!

We’ve had a few posters here who do options, they probably got bored with those of us who are regulars here!
I could just as easily trade the stock too ... it doesn't matter. It just comes down to timing and direction of the upcoming move. Options just reduce risk (money in the trade) and increase leverage which will enhance profit. It's essentially all the same just a different way to make the play. What I find interesting in what you guys do is how you select the stocks you trade and the rationale behind your decision.

He also gets class A shares that pay dividends on stocks that normally don't pay dividends. One of the Railroads he bought he did this. He was getting like 4X the dividend for the same class B price or something like that. Basically he got a super sweet deal none of us would get.

Reactions: Bluesbrother
He also gets class A shares that pay dividends on stocks that normally don't pay dividends. One of the Railroads he bought he did this. He was getting like 4X the dividend for the same class B price or something like that. Basically he got a super sweet deal none of us would get.
He's a unicorn ... a big one.

While I certainly made a lot of money off most of the FAANG stocks, I'm proud to say that I never owned Facebook. For some reason I've always just envisioned it as a fad like MySpace, etc.
Sold most of mine at $350 and $330 in the summer of 2021. Still have a small position that could go to zero and I won't lose a dime.

Interesting data this week. China hints of opening back up as the dollar might have finally peaked. It sure doesn't seem like the Fed can continue the 75 bps hikes into eternity as well.

PFE got some intriguing news with the positive immunity response from it's new Covid booster. It's down around 16% YTD but seems ripe for this environment and might have finally bottomed. That or LLY with the new drugs for obesity and diabetes. Trouble is neither has the yield of a 2-year treasury but LLY has been a huge winner this year.

Biotechs seemed to have bottomed as well if the IBB is any indication.

I read this today:

“Turning to history: The Crude Oil Windfall Profit Tax Act of 1980 was enacted under the Carter administration, and generated some $80B in gross revenues over the next eight years before being repealed by President Reagan. U.S. crude production declined as much as 8% over the period, according to the Congressional Research Service, while Washington grew increasingly concerned that the tax had increased the nation's dependence on imported oil. The CRS also cautions that despite the "windfall" name, it was really in excise tax, that was determined by calculating the "difference between the market price of oil... and a statutory 1979 base price that was adjusted quarterly for inflation and state severance taxes." Better examples may be seen from the "war profiteering" levy enacted during WWI and a similar excess profits tax adopted during WWII.”

Reactions: AustinTXCat
What’s up (uh, down) with energy stocks today? Figured they would be up again, based on projected election results.

Good news post-election.

Nasdaq, S&P, Dow rocket higher, yields tumble on tame inflation numbers​

Nov. 10, 2022 9:31 AM ETS&P 500 Index (SP500), COMP.IND, DJIUS10Y, US2Y, DXYBy: Kim Khan, SA News Editor66 Comments

Markets Open As Fed Plans Another Rate Hike

Michael M. Santiago/Getty Images News

Major market averages are soaring early on during Thursday's session as core and headline consumer inflation rose less than expected.
The Nasdaq Composite (COMP.IND) has exploded 5%, the benchmark S&P 500 (SP500) jumped 3.5%, and the Dow (DJI) has gained 2.8%.
Rates are tumbling. The 10-year Treasury yield (US10Y) is down 22 basis points to 3.91%. The 2-year yield (US2Y) is down 24 basis points to 4.38%. The dollar index (DXY) is also down 1.4%.
After several hotter-than-expected CPI reports, stock and bond markets were clearly positioning for continued disappointing inflation news. Fed funds futures now price in a 80% chance of a 50-basis-point hike in December after tilting to 75 bps before the numbers arrived.
The 0.3% monthly rise in core CPI, compared with forecasts for 0.5%, was the softest since September 2021.
"Our number crunching picked up slowing US inflation for a while," IIF Chief Economist Robin Brooks said "Today's -2 standard deviation surprise on core CPI vs consensus validates that. Last time we had a negative surprise of this size was July."
Eyes are also on crypto, with bitcoin down again and FTX still looking for a rescue plan. The crypto selloff put pressure on the major averages yesterday.
Adding a little more to the Fed pivot hops, jobless claims rose a little more than expected to 225K.
"Economically, recent plunges in price are mainly about resource allocation," UBS' Paul Donovan wrote. "Crypto transferred wealth from many buyers to a few sellers, but too few people hold it to cause a serious negative economic wealth effect. With less crypto activity, energy and labor might be transferred to economically productive sources (assuming labor has transferrable skills)."

Reactions: lz and AustinTXCat
Finally took a position with DTEGY (Deutsche Telekom) at $17.43 after commission. Riding this for long term.
T-Mobile parent DTEGY reported a great quarter. Trading at $19.77 this morning. Will pay a 0.70 € dividend. Glad I got in last month.

Reactions: jameslee32 and lz
Like magic oil futures, crypto and core inflation are lower since Tuesday. The dollar has been going down about a month now. Great for companies like PG.

Reactions: AustinTXCat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT