ADVERTISEMENT

Stock Advice Thread

Huge regret. Should have pulled the trigger on BASF (BASFY) when trading at 10.31. Broke 13.13 today. I read too much into the pending NG shortage. Called Germany a few days ago. Loosely translated: "Situation here not as bad as everyone says". Lady, who said these words to me, was born in 1938, lived through WW2 bombings of Berlin and sounded great on the phone.

Reactions: Deeeefense
Huge regret. Should have pulled the trigger on BASF (BASFY) when trading at 10.31. Broke 13.13 today. I read too much into the pending NG shortage. Called Germany a few days ago. Loosely translated: "Situation here not as bad as everyone says". Lady, who said these words to me, was born in 1938, lived through WW2 bombings of Berlin and sounded great on the phone.
BASFY will struggle to hold these prices into the year end and may provide a shorting opportunity going forward at least in the near-term. Timing.

Last edited:
If Verizon didn’t have so much debt (135B), I’d get some. Looks like a value trap to me.

This isn't stock advice, but when Altria raises Cigarette prices twice a year, they are giving the federal government a tax raise twice a year. The government get's like SEVENTY percent of the revenue from every cigarette sold and gets a raise twice a year. They are more addicted to the tax income than smokers are to tobacco. If you don't think smoking will be banned, and I don't for the reason given above, there's no better passive income than Altria at 8% Yield.

JMHO

Reactions: lz
Quiet place lately, for good reason! :(
Several of mine are rallying but the 52-week high and 52-week low lists are fairly consistent. Only got SJM, HON, WAB and DE regularly on the highs. Got BGS on the lows but I also cut it by more than half.

Inched in to KEY and BAC in some of my newer IRA's to get banking exposure should we avoid a recession.

Reactions: lz and AustinTXCat
Several of mine are rallying but the 52-week high and 52-week low lists are fairly consistent. Only got SJM, HON, WAB and DE regularly on the highs. Got BGS on the lows but I also cut it by more than half.

Inched in to KEY and BAC in some of my newer IRA's to get banking exposure should we avoid a recession.
I've realized decent results these past 2 weeks.

LMT, a really long-term hold (since 1996 via COMSAT merger), is up again. Nearing record high. DTEGY and EBKDY inching up. MPW, PARA and NWSA up slightly. Finally ahead on New Germany Fund and Swiss Helevetia Fund.

Believe it or not, I invested into T Rowe Price Equity Income (PRFDX) and Fidelity Growth and Income (FGRIX) over the past month. Both held in retirement accounts. Plan on dollar cost averaging during the next year.

KEY is on my wish list again. They just raised their dividend. As soon as I sell FHN, I'll jump back into KEY.

BGS is on my shopping list. Might buy sooner than later.

Good luck, everyone.

Reactions: lz and jameslee32
I've realized decent results these past 2 weeks.

LMT, a really long-term hold (since 1996 via COMSAT merger), is up again. Nearing record high. DTEGY and EBKDY inching up. MPW, PARA and NWSA up slightly. Finally ahead on New Germany Fund and Swiss Helevetia Fund.

Believe it or not, I invested into T Rowe Price Equity Income (PRFDX) and Fidelity Growth and Income (FGRIX) over the past month. Both held in retirement accounts. Plan on dollar cost averaging during the next year.

KEY is on my wish list again. They just raised their dividend. As soon as I sell FHN, I'll jump back into KEY.

BGS is on my shopping list. Might buy sooner than later.

Good luck, everyone.
Irony. Cut my exposure in one account to jump back into FLPSX after several years away. I've held FGRIX in the past as well.

Reactions: AustinTXCat
TD Ameritrade accounts moving next year. I have two accounts with the brokerage firm. Anybody else?

We have 4 accounts so I'm wondering how much of a pain in the ass this will ultimately become. No TD managed funds will have to be sold to make it happen so hopefully this will be easier than an employer switching 401k custodians for example.

We have 4 accounts so I'm wondering how much of a pain in the ass this will ultimately become. No TD managed funds will have to be sold to make it happen so hopefully this will be easier than an employer switching 401k custodians for example.
I have two, usually just a change in account number, can’t recall major changes, be good if we get a replacement broker rating service for CSFB.

The market's recent rally has been on the backs of retail investors, institutions are still on the sideline and only selling into the short upward trends. So I've taken the advsie of the experts and focused in on 3 sectors that are relatively stable. Health, Utilities and Financials. The best of the bunch IMO are FE, CVS, CI, MA, MRK.
Some of these are optionable so I sell covered calls to add income. It's just really hard to make any kind of decent return on anything right now but that strategy seems to be steady albeit meager.

Ok fellas, what do i buy? im a newbie. Im told now is the time to buy stuff.
As many saying don’t buy yet, patience best, but if you must, I would say a conservative ETF-S&P 500 and/or Dividend stock ETF. Careful with individual stocks right now unless you have a plan.

Reactions: Louis_Skunt
Ok fellas, what do i buy? im a newbie. Im told now is the time to buy stuff.
As many saying don’t buy yet, patience best, but if you must, I would say a conservative ETF-S&P 500 and/or Dividend stock ETF. Careful with individual stocks right now unless you have a plan.
Or purchase a no-load mutual fund like T. Rowe Price Equity Index 500 Fund (PREIX). Bought during meltdown week, March, 2020. Currently up 50%. Heh, was up 100% beginning this calendar year.

CD tale. Moved some money into a CD at credit union at 4.05% last Tuesday. System would not take. Got ticked off. Tried again next day. System accepted investment at 4.25%. Called credit union later that day. Staff indicted the feature is by design whenever rates go up.

I honestly believe we've nearly topped out on rate increases.

Good luck, gentlemen.

Reactions: jameslee32
Also did some tax loss selling this week in VEEV, DIS and IIPR helping to offset some of the gains earlier this year. For some reason RPRX is seen as more of a healthcare company than VEEV making my decision to lighten up pretty easy. Buying some of these back could also be in the cards in early 2023.

Also inched in to the first 13-week treasury auction of 2023 with plans to buy more on the short end of the curve or as long as it stays inverted.

Paying off my house in 2009 BEFORE entering the stock market was the best thing I ever did and would advise.

How's that? I've been 100% in the market since 2009 and made a crazy amount. I was far from tapped out when I paid the house off.

Ok, misinterpreted what you were saying.

You said that you didn't contribute until after your house was paid off. Therefore you missed out on any gains that occurred pre-2009....and thus it wouldn't have compounded. Now, if you contributed in 2009 with a lump sum....then, yes, that surely gained post-2009.

Still, you've done very well. Good discipline to pay off the mortgage.

BASF (BASFY) suffered major losses. I'm preparing to go bottom fishing.

:D
Incredible how they complain about high energy prices with a mild winter in Europe and natural gas prices crashing here in the US. Brent and WTI crude oil are also near 52-week lows. Lower than before the war started. Our LNG exporters will be the beneficiary again this year while saving Europe from Russian tyranny at the same time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT