ADVERTISEMENT

Stock Advice Thread

A tad riskier, I think, than my ENPH and PWR in clean energy, but you well may strike gold!
Yes, I’ve always gravitated to the risky stocks. My best wins have come from gold and green energy. Green energy was super cheap 5 years ago. Nobody wanted that crap. My biggest losers have been in Hero, coal, Wachovia, and some bullchit COCO college online stock that Obama killed

Oh yeah, don’t let me forget Games N Flix. I bought a bunch of that instead of Netflix back in 2005. That 15,000 would be worth millions today

Last edited:
Reactions: lz
PLUG is looking good now with 4 billion in cash and clients in Australia, Europe, Egypt, India, S Korea, and a bunch in the US, including Amazon, wal mart, Home Depot, GM, Hyvia, and the rumor mill says Microsoft might be in the works. With Microsoft and the climate bill, this stock could go to 100

Yes, I’ve always gravitated to the risky stocks. My best wins have come from gold and green energy. Green energy was super cheap 5 years ago. Nobody wanted that crap. My biggest losers have been in Hero, coal, Wachovia, and some bullchit COCO college online stock that Obama killed

Oh yeah, don’t let me forget Games N Flix. I bought a bunch of that instead of Netflix back in 2005. That 15,000 would be worth millions today
Totally understand, made a few similar plays over the years, actually had PLUG when it first started, think I did good at first, then lost my nerve, it had the very long lull until green stocks have returned with gusto. I’m no solar person particularly, huge PE, but believe you ought to take some risk on it along with PLUG and Bloom unless you know of a better solar or wind stock?

Green light us on when you start buying tech stocks since I greatly respect your cautious investing approach! I hold 30 sh NVDA and only a few shares of ASML and GOOGL in the tech sector currently. Do you still work in the tech sector, Austin, at NXP?
Thanks. No, I was laid off in 2010. Now work for State of Texas. Worked 4.5 years initially for Conexant, formerly Rockwell. Our division was purchased by NXP for the intellectual property. My layoff came roughly 18 months after merger. Received a decent separation package. Paid off our house.

Austin has changed regarding tech. IBM built a plant here in the early 60s manufacturing typewriters. Sizable number of folks transferred from IBM Lexington, now Lexmark. Huge tech boom happened 1985-2005. Many companies moved or were created here. Activity slowed somewhat, then Tesla opened a factory. Apple operates a factory here, along with a few other firms. Dell primarily manufactures everything overseas, although headquarters remains in Round Rock. Samsung opened a fab and plans on expanding. Applied Materials still here.

I believe Intel rebounds within a year or so for a couple reasons. First, demand for PCs and laptops slowed, and INTC failed to forecast. Second, INTC continues building fabs due to semiconductor shortage. Read somewhere a few are coming online in Ohio and Germany. Lastly, sum of parts greater than the whole. INTC worth around 50% more as 3 separate entities.

Reactions: jameslee32 and lz
Totally understand, made a few similar plays over the years, actually had PLUG when it first started, think I did good at first, then lost my nerve, it had the very long lull until green stocks have returned with gusto. I’m no solar person particularly, huge PE, but believe you ought to take some risk on it along with PLUG and Bloom unless you know of a better solar or wind stock?
I want to buy ENPH, and I might. I have had FSLR since it was below 50. Didn’t buy enough of it. Greens have a chance to run hard

Thanks. No, I was laid off in 2010. Now work for State of Texas. Worked 4.5 years initially for Conexant, formerly Rockwell. Our division was purchased by NXP for the intellectual property. My layoff came roughly 18 months after merger. Received a decent separation package. Paid off our house.

Austin has changed regarding tech. IBM built a plant here in the early 60s manufacturing typewriters. Sizable number of folks transferred from IBM Lexington, now Lexmark. Huge tech boom happened 1985-2005. Many companies moved or were created here. Activity slowed somewhat, then Tesla opened a factory. Apple operates a factory here, along with a few other firms. Dell primarily manufactures everything overseas, although headquarters remains in Round Rock. Samsung opened a fab and plans on expanding. Applied Materials still here.

I believe Intel rebounds within a year or so for a couple reasons. First, demand for PCs and laptops slowed, and INTC failed to forecast. Second, INTC continues building fabs due to semiconductor shortage. Read somewhere a few are coming online in Ohio and Germany. Lastly, sum of parts greater than the whole. INTC worth around 50% more as 3 separate entities.

Nothing wrong with state jobs, got out of the rat race and taught 30 years at a community college, gave me the spare time to think through my investing…retired 2007, not rich from investing, but probably have averaged 8% yearly return since 1990 and have a fun indoor hobby. Nice logic and background re: INTC.

Back around 1997 or so, I built PCs for side-hustle profit. Got burned really bad on some AMD chips and accompanying motherboards. I swore on Intel ever since. Kinda crazy since AMD operated fabs here in Austin years ago. Many of former co-workers at NXP were AMD employees before fab closures. AMD chips are highly rated these days.

AMAT: worked 3 months as a contractor for Applied Materials in the clean room assembling chip-making equipment just after retiring from the Army. Top-notch organization. Have not pulled the trigger yet.
I'm still an Intel CPU guy. This PC I'm using has a Core i5. I also have my Dad's old PC with an AMD. It sucks but it's at least 7 years old. I think what Lisa Su has done best with AMD is diversify away from the PC business which has a post Covid hangover. Everyone who needed a laptop like me has already bought one. Probably one reason AMD passed INTC in market cap.

Reactions: AustinTXCat
Semi bloodshed today after NVDA and MU pre-announcements. Probably a good day to start a new position in the space. Easy does it though.

Semi bloodshed today after NVDA and MU pre-announcements. Probably a good day to start a new position in the space. Easy does it though.
Dart board or think one semi is best? Austin may be right about INTC.

Reactions: jameslee32
Dart board or think one semi is best? Austin may be right about INTC.
I have a small basket of semis and all but MRVL are playing with house money. I like all the semi equipment makers longer term so I have no interest in selling KLAC. INTC is good for the long term I'd say but I wouldn't buy it all or any of them only right here. I always try to buy in increments and don't like chasing.

You might do the same for banks while the 10-year treasury is this low assuming we are not in recession. It's also somewhat of a pairs trade given semis and banks will go in opposite directions as treasury yields rise or fall.

How's the future of Chargepoint looking?
I think James Lee’s advice above should hold true for stocks like PLUG and CHPT, you can ease in slowly, but maybe not head first like I did with ENPH recently-worked for me, but temporarily topping as is oil. A lot of stocks are being helped by the clean energy bill to be passed soon and today’s positive inflation numbers, but personally, I always fear over confidence, particularly since September is traditionally a terrible month for stocks. Will this crazy year be different? Wish I knew.

How's the future of Chargepoint looking?
I don’t follow it. Should be helped by EV tax credits. Probably a buy. I like Bloom or BE and PLUG. They should rip for years. PLUG announced profitability in 2024. I think they double from here once the Microsoft deal is announced

They just lowered the price of hydrogen by 3 bucks/kg for the next 10 years. Hydrogen is now competitive with any other energy source. Plug is the largest producer of hydrogen

Reactions: BlueRaider22
If my math is right this is what Plug could do in green hydrogen:
500 Tons per day
X’s 365 days x
907 kilograms per ton x $3.00 per kilogram = $496,582,500

That’s a 1/2 a billion just in hydrogen sales. Ummmmmm

Today was great overall and strangely good to identify defensive names as well. Several of the latter I own are in the red today starting with KR in an IRA and SJM.

Some thoughts on Apple from a somewhat tech guy:

Apple announced details of it's new VR Headset and the biggest/controversial piece was that it's headset is rumored to be $2,000 to $2,500. This is a lot more than conventional VR headsets like the Meta Oculus Quest 2 which is now $400 (was $300 a month ago but they raised the price).

Been thinking a bit about this, as I've used the HTC Vive extensively back in 2017, had the Samsung VR Headset, and just recently purchased the Quest 2 (while it was still $300), and being a tech guy, I get into this stuff a little bit. I think we haven't even begun to scratch the surface of VR. It's still very much in it's infancy, and almost everything about it can, and will be improved in the coming years. Everything from video quality, headset features, sound, content, training, camera use.. you name it.

IDK.. something tells me Apple's headset might wind up being it's next great product, like the iPod and iPhone. And I think the price tag is genius for two reasons: 1. the specs are already rumored to blow everything out of the water, what with a industry leading 12 cameras in the headset and 2. Apple fans LOVE the ecosystem and the "luxury" of the brand, and this price might just drive people to buy it.

It may not be the first iteration or even the second.. but once VR becomes more mainstream, this could be the device that everyone wants for Christmas. We've exhausted the smartphone market, the next thing that could be a boom, IMO, would be VR, a really untapped area that can grow in dozens of ways.

So I feel like Apple stock might be a great pickup. Also, I HATE Apple products as a SysAdmin, just in case anyone thinks I'm an Apple fanboy. I guess I just think there could be a good stock opportunity here.

Curious to see what others think, and if anyone here has given VR a try.

Last edited:
Some thoughts on Apple from a somewhat tech guy:

Apple announced details of it's new VR Headset and the biggest/controversial piece was that it's headset is rumored to be $2,000 to $2,500. This is a lot more than conventional VR headsets like the Meta Oculus Quest 2 which is now $400 (was $300 a month ago but they raised the price).

Been thinking a bit about this, as I've used the HTC Vive extensively back in 2017, had the Samsung VR Headset, and just recently purchased the Quest 2 (while it was still $300), and being a tech guy, I get into this stuff a little bit. I think we haven't even begun to scratch the surface of VR. It's still very much in it's infancy, and almost everything about it can, and will be improved in the coming years. Everything from video quality, headset features, sound, content, training, camera use.. you name it.

IDK.. something tells me Apple's headset might wind up being it's next great product, like the iPod and iPhone. And I think the price tag is genius for two reasons: 1. the specs are already rumored to blow everything out of the water, what with a industry leading 12 cameras in the headset and 2. Apple fans LOVE the ecosystem and the "luxury" of the brand, and this price might just drive people to buy it.

It may not be the first iteration or even the second.. but once VR becomes more mainstream, this could be the device that everyone wants for Christmas. We've exhausted the smartphone market, the next thing that could be a boom, IMO, would be VR, a really untapped area that can grow in dozens of ways.

So I feel like Apple stock might be a great pickup. Also, I HATE Apple products as a SysAdmin, just in case anyone thinks I'm an Apple fanboy. I guess I just think there could be a good stock opportunity here.

Curious to see what others think, and if anyone here has given VR a try.
I’m waiting for the “Ready Player One” version.

Buy Bloom here at 26 and make some money.

Morgan Stanley just raised its target on PLUG to 55. It’s 29 now.

Trying to buy an international stock LLKKE. They are a Lithium Extraction company and it's only around 80 cents a Share. Figured I was a good boy last night and didn't spend $100 at a bar, so why not treat myself.. Saw some articles about their process. Very interesting extraction of Lithium that's sustainable and produces a high quality product. Went down a small rabbit hole in regards to salt lands and Lithium lol.

But it's deemed as OTC and I guess it's not on any exchange. Problem is I think Schwab I think wants like a $50 commission (I imagine a dollar per share).. this sound right? Whats the best way to invest in OTC companies?

Reactions: BlueRaider22
Trying to buy an international stock LLKKE. They are a Lithium Extraction company and it's only around 80 cents a Share. Figured I was a good boy last night and didn't spend $100 at a bar, so why not treat myself.. Saw some articles about their process. Very interesting extraction of Lithium that's sustainable and produces a high quality product. Went down a small rabbit hole in regards to salt lands and Lithium lol.

But it's deemed as OTC and I guess it's not on any exchange. Problem is I think Schwab I think wants like a $50 commission (I imagine a dollar per share).. this sound right? Whats the best way to invest in OTC companies?
Figure on losing everything in one fell swoop.

Figure on losing everything in one fell swoop.

Ha, so that Fidelity one offers a $100 reward after 25 days when you deposit $50 into it, and I'm a first time customer with Fidelity. It's for their "Fidelity Account" which seems like their basic Brokerage account. Checking the fine print.

Here's a wild one I just bought. Purchased new Germany Fund (GF) at $8.11. Fund trading at an 18-year low. Euro currency also sank below $1 today.

Stay tuned.
This year's been a perfect time to travel to western Europe with the dollar on a 19-year high. Surprisingly, PG has held up decently down less than 10%. Would love to buy more. I also own VEA but it's been down 20% this year with the yield up to 3.69% now. With US treasuries selling like hotcakes, you can see how shitty the rest of the world must be. Won't last forever when the fed starts doubling their asset sales and we normalize financial markets after 13 years of cheap money.

This year's been a perfect time to travel to western Europe with the dollar on a 19-year high. Surprisingly, PG has held up decently down less than 10%. Would love to buy more. I also own VEA but it's been down 20% this year with the yield up to 3.69% now. With US treasuries selling like hotcakes, you can see how shitty the rest of the world must be. Won't last forever when the fed starts doubling their asset sales and we normalize financial markets after 13 years of cheap money.
Ukraine war and COVID impacting Euro at crazy levels. Thought about Forex, but not familiar enough with currency trading to earn any $. Plan on playing GF and possibly IRL. May look at SWZ.

Definitely plan on purchasing more MPW for the rising dividends. Waiting on a few dips.

Ukraine war and COVID impacting Euro at crazy levels. Thought about Forex, but not familiar enough with currency trading to earn any $. Plan on playing GF and possibly IRL. May look at SWZ.

Definitely plan on purchasing more MPW for the rising dividends. Waiting on a few dips.
Futures market is out of my lane as well although that's only one part of currency trading I guess.

Might be closer to buying back some VTR although most of their properties are in the US. They not only own hospitals but doctors offices, senior housing, research centers and other health related buildings also. Maybe when the dividend gets up to 4-5%.

Last edited:

I've been looking hard at international stocks, namely European American Depository Receipts (ADR) and pink sheets. Here are two I may pull the trigger on soon.

- BASF Ticker: BASFY (Badische Anilin und SodaFabrik or Baden Aniline and Soda Factory). 78 billion revenue for 2021. ADRs currently trade at $10.39 OTC. 52-week high = $19.87. 6.94 PE. Sponsored Level I ADR. 8% dividend. 4:1 ratio. Probably go at least 200 shares so that it's worth my time. According to TD Ameritrade, commission is $6.95. No DRiP available. Cannot reinvest dividends as far as I know. Long term investment.

Sentimental investment for me. I took delivery of my new Harley from Erich Kraft HD in Ludwigshafen back in 1988. Used BASF cassette tapes lots during 1980s.

- Deutsche Telekom Ticker: DTEGY. 101 billion revenue for 2020. I was a former Telekom (Deutsche Bundespost) customer during 1980s and 1990s and a current T-Mobile customer, which DTEGY owns 64% thereof. Sponsored Level I ADR. 3.5% dividend. 1:1 ratio. Again, no DRiP available as far as I know. $6.95 commission. Long term investment.

I'm awaiting the next Fed announcement before pulling the trigger because I suspect share prices may decline even more.

I've been looking hard at international stocks, namely European American Depository Receipts (ADR) and pink sheets. Here are two I may pull the trigger on soon.

- BASF Ticker: BASFY (Badische Anilin und SodaFabrik or Baden Aniline and Soda Factory). 78 billion revenue for 2021. ADRs currently trade at $10.39 OTC. 52-week high = $19.87. 6.94 PE. Sponsored Level I ADR. 8% dividend. 4:1 ratio. Probably go at least 200 shares so that it's worth my time. According to TD Ameritrade, commission is $6.95. No DRiP available. Cannot reinvest dividends as far as I know. Long term investment.

Sentimental investment for me. I took delivery of my new Harley from Erich Kraft HD in Ludwigshafen back in 1988. Used BASF cassette tapes lots during 1980s.

- Deutsche Telekom Ticker: DTEGY. 101 billion revenue for 2020. I was a former Telekom (Deutsche Bundespost) customer during 1980s and 1990s and a current T-Mobile customer, which DTEGY owns 64% thereof. Sponsored Level I ADR. 3.5% dividend. 1:1 ratio. Again, no DRiP available as far as I know. $6.95 commission. Long term investment.

I'm awaiting the next Fed announcement before pulling the trigger because I suspect share prices may decline even more.
If we have peak natural gas, might be the right time to buy chemicals and industrials who need a lot of that stuff. LYB has a 5.25% yield, is a multi-national and still close to its 52-week low. I may pull the trigger on a big selloff.

If we have peak natural gas, might be the right time to buy chemicals and industrials who need a lot of that stuff. LYB has a 5.25% yield, is a multi-national and still close to its 52-week low. I may pull the trigger on a big selloff.
Yeah, natural gas is the wildcard here. BASF says it can achieve record profits by 10% this CY if gas is available.

Ha, so that Fidelity one offers a $100 reward after 25 days when you deposit $50 into it, and I'm a first time customer with Fidelity. It's for their "Fidelity Account" which seems like their basic Brokerage account. Checking the fine print.
Sounds like you should have spent more at the bar!

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
Wife and I going to Spain for 10 days late September, been trying for a good trip for awhile, Covid kept thwarting us.

Yeah, natural gas is the wildcard here. BASF says it can achieve record profits by 10% this CY if gas is available.
Got your chemical co sell off this morning!
I’ve been investing like a star in August with a combo of oil/nat gas drillers, coal companies, liquid nat gas and green energy. Bad days by one sector, good days by another, I know this will come to an end, but few other ideas-own a few ag stocks.

Got your chemical co sell off this morning!
I’ve been investing like a star in August with a combo of oil/nat gas drillers, coal companies, liquid nat gas and green energy. Bad days by one sector, good days by another, I know this will come to an end, but few other ideas-own a few ag stocks.
Jinxed myself on those stocks yesterday! Here’s some timely info:

The August-September period is the worst three month period for the markets, and September has the distinction of standing as the worst month for the S&P 500. In fact, it's the only month that has a negative average total return, going back to 1950, according to the Stock Trader's Almanac.

S&P 500: worst months
(average total return since 1950)
September -0.5%
February flat
August flat
June +0.1%
May +0.2%
October +0.8%
Source: Stock Trader's Almanac

The only good news: September is followed by October, which is better, but November-January is generally the best consecutive three month period of the year.

Okay, you seem 100% spot on. Gazprom cut service to Germany for "technical issues" on Nordstream 1. German ADR stocks tumbled today roughly mid-way through trading session. Interestingly, an Austrian bank I'm also looking at (Erste Group Bank AG ADR (EBKDY)) gained. Austria derives ~60% power from hydroelectric. All the German issues I'm tracking (BASF, Deutsche Telekom) declined.

I believe I'll hold off a bit on BASF, but may pull the trigger on Deutsche Telekom (DTEGY) next week.

Reactions: Mayoman
Okay, you seem 100% spot on. Gazprom cut service to Germany for "technical issues" on Nordstream 1. German ADR stocks tumbled today roughly mid-way through trading session. Interestingly, an Austrian bank I'm also looking at (Erste Group Bank AG ADR (EBKDY)) gained. Austria derives ~60% power from hydroelectric. All the German issues I'm tracking (BASF, Deutsche Telekom) declined.

I believe I'll hold off a bit on BASF, but may pull the trigger on Deutsche Telekom (DTEGY) next week.
Although JPM downgraded it, I started a small position in LYB.

Bought more JEPQ as well with more irons in the fire should prices get much lower.

ADVERTISEMENT