ADVERTISEMENT

Stock Advice Thread

Been short Nasdaq via SQQQ for about 2 weeks. Still waiting for mid-Sept to sell. September is historically is worst month for stocks. Expect a Xmas rally to turn long into…and then probably back into SQQQ again.

Reactions: AustinTXCat
If the Ruskies keep messing with the Germans like this...the G's are going to push back hard when they decide enough is enough. Only a matter of time.

That as well as the other NATO nations will get fed up as winter cold grows closer. If it is a hard winter, I look for all hell to break lose....(Limited War) and will look at the Mil Industrial Complex ETF's and a few of the stocks (Northrup Grumman and Lockhead Martin) to name a few in them to make a strong move upward.

Look at several of those ETF's to make some serious gains like ITA AND PPA. Geopolitical events, time and the weather will tell the tale of how this all shakes out.

Good fortune to all.

To avert a winter supply crisis, each month countries need to cut their gas use to 15% below the five-year average, ICIS said. That would leave post-winter storage 45% full if Russia kept sending gas, and 26% full if Russia cut flows from October.

Reactions: Mayoman
My IVV is down $7500 in the past 10 days or so. I know it’s not a good idea to try to time the market, and I should just let it ride, but it’s tempting to pull everything out then try to catch the bottom and buy it back when I can pick up cheap shares

My IVV is down $7500 in the past 10 days or so. I know it’s not a good idea to try to time the market, and I should just let it ride, but it’s tempting to pull everything out then try to catch the bottom and buy it back when I can pick up cheap shares
Sounds like me, got excited about an investment, but bought too much of it. Hard to catch a bottom, particularly an ETF during a time of war, recovery from Covid, etc. I have VOO as part of my portfolio, cut my holdings several months ago, prefer to ride out with a small amount so I can really keep a close eye on its recovery. Good luck to you, not a fun time as an investor, I’ve found it’s very hard to invest during any period of Fed interest rate increases, maybe sell more on false starts the next several months, mainly hold those stocks you have with low risk.

Bullish update: EBKDY. Sponsored Level 1 ADR. Certain Euro stocks have been on a rebound because of various factors. I got in on Erste Group Bank ADR a little late. Swore I'd never dive into back into banks, especially European banks, unless conditions are right. Love the value this one offers. Based in Austria. Wide exposure in Eastern Europe markets outside Ukraine. Rated BUY from several analyst ratings. EU just raised interest rates. Another value purchase. I feel very comfortable adding to this position on dips. $6.95 purchase fee.

Reactions: Deeeefense and lz
Been short Nasdaq via SQQQ for about 2 weeks. Still waiting for mid-Sept to sell. September is historically is worst month for stocks. Expect a Xmas rally to turn long into…and then probably back into SQQQ again.
Still short via SQQQs…

FedEx numbers were terrible. Canary in the coal mine for global economy.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: AustinTXCat
By the way, I'm still looking at DTEGY (Deutsche Telekom) and BASF (BASFY). Because dollar to Euro exchange rates hover near 21st century lows, and with DTEGY expanding ownership of T-Mobile, old Telekom seems like a back-door no-brainer into T-Mobile. Again, long term. NRDBY and DANOY also looking very attractive. Wife loves Activia yogurt. Evian water sells big here too.

If you go the ADR route, stick with sponsored, Level I ADRs. There is still some tremendous value there, in my opinion. Trading fees are annoying ($6.95/share via Ameritrade), but worth the hassle if you hold a long-term view.

Looking for opinions about where our economy is going to go as we head into fall and winter. China is in the midst of a slowdown due in part to their zero covid policy, and also in part to a general downturn of their real estate market (if you aren't aware of China's "ghost cities" that accounts for up to 30% of their GDP, educate yourself, that's an implosion waiting to happen).

If we do have a worldwide recession, oil demand is going to be very weak, so I don't see oil prices doing anything but going down. And the dollar gaining strength means relatively speaking we are seen as a good place to park your money with the recession looming.

I also think that we are going to have a lot of retailers with a ton of merchandise that finally arrived as supply chain issues got worked out as we approach Christmas this year, so I can see retailers really having to discount prices, especially with people having to spend all their money on necessities due to inflation and having little to no expendable income, which will work to reverse inflationary pressures.

Of all the nations in the world, it just seems to me that the U.S. is in a pretty good position, relatively speaking, to weather what seems to be an inevitable recession without feeling much pain. Anybody agree or disagree with any of that?

Reactions: BlueRaider22
Looking for opinions about where our economy is going to go as we head into fall and winter. China is in the midst of a slowdown due in part to their zero covid policy, and also in part to a general downturn of their real estate market (if you aren't aware of China's "ghost cities" that accounts for up to 30% of their GDP, educate yourself, that's an implosion waiting to happen).

If we do have a worldwide recession, oil demand is going to be very weak, so I don't see oil prices doing anything but going down. And the dollar gaining strength means relatively speaking we are seen as a good place to park your money with the recession looming.

I also think that we are going to have a lot of retailers with a ton of merchandise that finally arrived as supply chain issues got worked out as we approach Christmas this year, so I can see retailers really having to discount prices, especially with people having to spend all their money on necessities due to inflation and having little to no expendable income, which will work to reverse inflationary pressures.

Of all the nations in the world, it just seems to me that the U.S. is in a pretty good position, relatively speaking, to weather what seems to be an inevitable recession without feeling much pain. Anybody agree or disagree with any of that?
Yes, you may proceed!
What to buy, what to buy? Small banks, DIY businesses, maybe TJX or DG or TGT. Will the US get shut out of the nat gas market? Maybe housing will turn around, but I have no more confidence in those being affordable yet as I do in the new car market.
Investors are talking bonds, but I haven’t figured out which to buy at this point?

I think it'll be a rocky ride for the US until after the elections.....then, things will start to rebound. Hopefully, the rest of the world won't drag our ascent down too much.

Bought more PG in the last few weeks which was hard to do with the dollar rising but peak inflation today may help on the way back down. Housing and natural gas are perhaps the last things to begin to roll over. Seems to me we're on the precipice of another relief rally or severe downturn that really hasn't happened yet with a 2-year treasury at 4%.

Reactions: lz
I stumbled upon this yesterday and it peaked my interest so I started looking into it a bit last night - Aluminum Ion Batteries. I've only found one company, Graphene Manufacturing Group (GMGMF) - $ 2.51 at the moment.

With the new EV utilizing the Li-ion batteries, I'm wondering if anyone has been looking into or watching out for Aluminum Ion batteries.

Yes, you may proceed!
What to buy, what to buy? Small banks, DIY businesses, maybe TJX or DG or TGT. Will the US get shut out of the nat gas market? Maybe housing will turn around, but I have no more confidence in those being affordable yet as I do in the new car market.
Investors are talking bonds, but I haven’t figured out which to buy at this point?
There is no safe haven, bonds are no better than stocks. Cash is king.

The market came to me this week with some of my long term limit orders being executed. Takes all the emotion out of it. Got a full position in BX now (6% yield) and bought more JEPI.

Reactions: lz and AustinTXCat
The market came to me this week with some of my long term limit orders being executed. Takes all the emotion out of it. Got a full position in BX now (6% yield) and bought more JEPI.
I like both in this environment!

Reactions: jameslee32
I cannot confirm but I'm hearing chatter that markets could be closed next week. It came from a broker with Fidelity and backed up by another broker from Merrill Edge. Like I said, I haven't been able to confirm but not sure what to make of it. Just passing this along.

I cannot confirm but I'm hearing chatter that markets could be closed next week. It came from a broker with Fidelity and backed up by another broker from Merrill Edge. Like I said, I haven't been able to confirm but not sure what to make of it. Just passing this along.
Doubtful…can’t remember that ever happening for an entire week. I recall only couple of days closure after 9/11.

Stock guy I follow predicted dow 24000 earlier this summer. He isn't looking like a crazy person now.

I think the recession is going to be worse than some of you are thinking.
Not that I don't think it's going to be bad, but I wouldn't put alot into low demand for the iphone 14. I've been doing research since I'm thinking about upgrading my phone, but I don't see a big difference in what I would get other than the camera. It sounds like more of Apple changing one thing and expecting a mad rush of people to upgrade.

Is anyone else gobsmacked by the stock market rally over the past 2 days? I don't "get" the optimism/bullishness. There's a lot more reasons that the stock market should be going down not up IMO.

Reactions: BlueThruAndThru
Is anyone else gobsmacked by the stock market rally over the past 2 days? I don't "get" the optimism/bullishness. There's a lot more reasons that the stock market should be going down not up IMO.
The market is supposed to be forward-looking. I'm not sure what everyone is seeing.

I'm only buying inside my 401K, mostly value.

Waiting until 4Q results finish and then I think we may see some nice deals going forward. Everything is getting close to reasonable valuations so buying now with the thoughts of holding long term isn't a terrible idea.

But I'm waiting until spring, I think. (I hope)

Reactions: CrittendenWildcat
Open jobs went down by over 1 million possibly signifying to the Fed that the end of rate hikes could be nearing an end. Added to SRE last week but today is a good day to sell something.

Not gobsmacked, lots of wild swings ahead, still recession talk with oil going up, just enjoy the up days or if buying, the down days!

Markets don't care about what people think or do. Markets move according to synchronous alignment or divergences from that alignment. Trying to "think" logically about market movements can't be done in a logical way because everyone's logic and ideas are different. The only constant is technical data and cycles. The only way to predict market movement is with technical data and how that aligns across time intervals. Then and only then can you trade aggressively with the market cycles ... otherwise, your trade structuring must be more defensive in nature (hedging positions). This market is still bearish (has been all year), and you should see the downward movement for a while longer. Overnight and day-to-day movement that is contrary to longer-term directional bias is divergent and short-term, but perfectly normal and thusly, the bullishness you see now is divergent behavior (perfectly normal). Timing of turns is always the challenge. Anytime you're confused or frustrated with the markets ... it's always because you don't have all the needed information to fully understand. Never listen to others, including me ... LOL. That's because you need to get to that place where it makes sense to you and it's you that decides your strategy. This is offered as nothing more than "something" to think about.

Reactions: ukdesi
Still in SQQQs. Up 25% over past 3 weeks. Looking for “global fear event” to exit.

Won’t be shocked to see NASDAQ hit 9,000 over the next 3-6 months.
Sorry sold my SQQQ short position at the close yesterday. Bought into SOXS around lunch today. Semis business still have a ways to fall. PC demand and crypto mining demand has falling off a Cliff.

Sorry sold my SQQQ short position at the close yesterday. Bought into SOXS around lunch today. Semis business still have a ways to fall. PC demand and crypto mining demand has falling off a Cliff.

I always get a laugh out of people that are short saying they expect the market to go to eye poppingly low levels.........what they won't tell you is a) they don't believe what they are saying and b) they will cover their short well before anyone knows it.

I always get a laugh out of people that are short saying they expect the market to go to eye poppingly low levels.........what they won't tell you is a) they don't believe what they are saying and b) they will cover their short well before anyone knows it.
For the recorded, are you calling me a liar? I’ll gladly post screenshots, since you can’t believe actual people can short the market. Stick to your Index funds grandpa

For the recorded, are you calling me a liar? I’ll gladly post screenshots, since you can’t believe actual people can short the market. Stick to your Index funds grandpa
Oh I have well into six figure dividend income….annually. Not a grandpa, either. I don’t doubt you are short, but shorts ALWAYS say a crazy low index number to spread fear and then close their short sell before that index prediction. Always.

• Haha
Reactions: jameslee32
ADVERTISEMENT