ADVERTISEMENT

Statement game....

Mar 19, 2006
First and foremost we need to win on Saturday. A win validates what we have done so far and keeps us in great position to compete in the east.

That being said I can’t help but feel the Cats are gearing up for not only validation but a statement game. One where it’s not close and we own the opponent much like we did against Miss State. The disrespect of starting off dogs at home should cut deep with this team. We should be getting more respect than that! I expected -4 or -5 after what we showed against Miss State.

Not necessarily a blowout but dominate. Something that makes it clear we are just better than these teams.

What are your thoughts...

First and foremost we need to win on Saturday. A win validates what we have done so far and keeps us in great position to compete in the east.

That being said I can’t help but feel the Cats are gearing up for not only validation but a statement game. One where it’s not close and we own the opponent much like we did against Miss State. The disrespect of starting off dogs at home should cut deep with this team. We should be getting more respect than that! I expected -4 or -5 after what we showed against Miss State.

Not necessarily a blowout but dominate. Something that makes it clear we are just better than these teams.

Good post.

In the spirit of taking one game at a time, while acknowledging every SEC game is a potential loss, I see Saturday as a litmus test for our team's maturation and ability to cope with success. The distractions are enormous this week. Benny for Heisman. Speculation about job offers for Stoops. National ranking for the first time in a decade.

Let's be honest. South Carolina is good enough to beat us, and the Gamecocks will come here wanting revenge. We should win this game the old fashioned way, with good prep and execution and physical domination. To do that, our team must stay focused.

Just go play the game. Prepare thoroughly, practice perfectly, keep focused, and quit worrying about whether or not we're underdogs or "respect" and all this other stuff. Why get all bent out of shape if some talking head doesn't pick you to win? Who gives a @#$%*! what they say, just go out, execute plays, and score more points than the other team. If we do those things along with making at least two big defensive plays (interception, fumble recovery, etc.) then we will win this statement game with USC.

To win...UK needs to win in different way vs. USC than we did vs. Miss St.

- USC is going to throw underneath more and probably more accurate with Bentley than Fitzgerald. But QB run game isn't a threat with Bentley on other hand.
- So the game will be more on DBs and especially Jones/Kash in coverage....which I think is our biggest weakness on defense is pass coverage from LBer spots.
- But...Josh Allen gets to feast off edge pressure and UK looks pretty good at mixing up blitzes and getting to the QB.

- On offense...I think USC is way more prone to UK's rushing game than was Miss St. So I'd hope we can control the ball throughout the game.

Big game and let's see if we can win in different ways which is hallmark of a great team.

Just go play the game. Prepare thoroughly, practice perfectly, keep focused, and quit worrying about whether or not we're underdogs or "respect" and all this other stuff. Why get all bent out of shape if some talking head doesn't pick you to win? Who gives a @#$%*! what they say, just go out, execute plays, and score more points than the other team. If we do those things along with making at least two big defensive plays (interception, fumble recovery, etc.) then we will win this statement game with USC.

Benny cares and it motivates him.

While I don’t care if we win by 3 plus scores or 1 single point, it would be great for further national attention to win convincingly from start to finish on Saturday for further validation. Rather perplexing how a ranked UK team opens as a slight underdog to an unranked SC team at home that we have won 4 straight against. Conversely miss st opens as 8 point favorite at home against Florida.

Kentucky should win the game by 14-21

It’s going to be close.

Reactions: ACT ONE
I could definitely get used to the final two possessions being led by Gunnar and ending in Victory formation.

I'm a 49-year old man with a life but I'm catching myself daydreaming about being 6-0 and injury free going into the bye week.

I could definitely get used to the final two possessions being led by Gunnar and ending in Victory formation.

I'm a 49-year old man with a life but I'm catching myself daydreaming about being 6-0 and injury free going into the bye week.
I feel ya brother! One game at a time but if we are 6-0 on a bye then our destiny will be ours

Good post.

In the spirit of taking one game at a time, while acknowledging every SEC game is a potential loss, I see Saturday as a litmus test for our team's maturation and ability to cope with success. The distractions are enormous this week. Benny for Heisman. Speculation about job offers for Stoops. National ranking for the first time in a decade.

Let's be honest. South Carolina is good enough to beat us, and the Gamecocks will come here wanting revenge. We should win this game the old fashioned way, with good prep and execution and physical domination. To do that, our team must stay focused.
Great post.

I expect SCar to absolutely load the box and make us pass. Muschamp will sell out to stop our run. If we adjust to that, we win going away. If not, this we be a very tough game and a sign of the defenses we will face from here on out.

- USC is going to throw underneath more and probably more accurate with Bentley than Fitzgerald. But QB run game isn't a threat with Bentley on other hand.
- So the game will be more on DBs and especially Jones/Kash in coverage....which I think is our biggest weakness on defense is pass coverage from LBer spots.
- But...Josh Allen gets to feast off edge pressure and UK looks pretty good at mixing up blitzes and getting to the QB.

- On offense...I think USC is way more prone to UK's rushing game than was Miss St. So I'd hope we can control the ball throughout the game.

Big game and let's see if we can win in different ways which is hallmark of a great team.
Agree, it is physical vs finesse' .We have proved we can compete with a physical team.Can we win in different ways?

I also think this week will answer another question,can we expect the team to play well vs hope there is not a big let down.Put another way how different is this team from other UK teams?

I think there is significant evidence that this is a different breed of Wildcat,but I want proof beyond a reasonable doubt,a win this week does that for me.

Reactions: StevieJFTW07

Well said - I do think USC will put more than 7 points on the board and this will be a very tough game no doubt. But it’s a game we can definitely win b/c our offense should be able to put some points on the board Sat night.

IMO - the key to the game is avoiding turnovers and more importantly, how we deal with success and being ranked. Don’t come out cocky or flat. If we avoid that, and keep playing with that “edge” we’ve been playing with, we should win by 2 scores at least.

Stoops is going to expect mushchamp to load the box up consistently. So in doing so we’ll have to take to the outside and get some out of pocket rubs with Wilson. Plus Wilson is going to have to be ready to air it out. Defensively, they are going to pass it. Their running game is not scary but they have a good pass game with quality receivers. Will be a different test for our boys

You don’t validate MSU and UF by beating USCjr. I remember when the mantra was beat Florida or it won’t be considered progress, then it was beat MSU to validate Florida because they weren’t be no good. Now it’s beat USCjr to prove your real because if you lose you ain’t real? Let me guess, we have to beat A&M to certify everything.

You don’t validate MSU and UF by beating USCjr. I remember when the mantra was beat Florida or it won’t be considered progress, then it was beat MSU to validate Florida because they weren’t be no good. Now it’s beat USCjr to prove your real because if you lose you ain’t real? Let me guess, we have to beat A&M to certify everything.
No of course not. But we are in uncharted waters, ranked and now being talked about as Georgia’s only challenge left. We have a better team than South Carolina but we have to be ready for them. This will make or break SCars season

I said in several posts, when the mods predicted we would lose, that we would beat Florida and also beat Miss State. We are a really good team, with strength at all positions except QB, and we may be strong at QB, but it's to soon to tell. I'm not saying we aren't, but I really don't think we can say we are. Time will tell, and I'm happy with Wilson. The one thing I can say, "He has HEART, and gives it his all."

I think the South Carolina game will be a nail biter, and hopefully we will win. Their going to throw the ball, so we should have chances at interceptions. We are as good as any team we have on the schedule, including Georgia. With that being said, we must bring our A game, or we will lose.

The only team I have seen who I don't think we can compete with is Alabama. They are really deep, and good. I look for them to go undefeated.

A&M and Missouri will be tough games, but we can win them. I really believe in this team, and have from the first game this year.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

After starting our 4-0, the stakes have been raised for this season. We are now in uncharted territory for our program. Having beaten USC 4 straight, makes this game even bigger than the last. The Gamecocks will be motivated to end that and get back some swagger that they lost by being blown out by UGA.

Most of the talk this week has been about UK's magnificent performance so far this season. USC is going out of their way to be quiet, with their coach even threatening to "cut" any player that talks smack about Benny.

This game is HUGE for both programs. USC was touted as the 2nd best team in the SEC East, UK's success so far has taken that away from them. The question now becomes, are we capable of holding on to what we've gained?

I have NO DOUBT we are, but it's going to take everything we've got to give. Our team KNOWS this. Our kids have worked so hard to get to where we are right now, I feel confident that they will continue to do so this week.

Now let's kick the Gamecocks butt this week!!!

No I don't think that is it at all.Since we were able to beat UF on the road and MSU at home South Carolina goes from a toss-up game to one we should be able to win.We have proved we are good enough to beat SC the question is will we play close enough to our potential to get the job done.

Winning home games that we should win is the next step in the progression of the program.At some point we have to take that step,we didn't in 2007,we didn't under Stoops a couple of times when we had the chance.We have another chance now,I truly believe this team is different but seeing trumps believing.

No one reasonably thinks this team will go undefeated,they are good enough to win more games this season than we have won in a long time provided they take care of the business they should.

Last edited:
No I don't think that is it at all.Since we were able to beat UF on the road and MSU at home South Carolina goes from a toss-up game to one we should be able to win.We have proved we are good enough to beat SC the question is will we play close enough to our potential to get he job done.

Winning home games that we should win is the next step in the progression of the program.At some point we have to take that step,we didn't in 2007,we didn't under Stoops a couple of times when we had the chance.We have another chance now,I truly believe this team is different but seeing trumps believing.

No one reasonably thinks this team will go undefeated,they are good enough to win more games this season than we have won in a long time provided they take care of the business they should.
Op said a win validates what we have done so far, I disagree with that statement. The wins over UF and MSU are legitimate even if we lost to USCjr. Maybe op has trouble expressing himself correctly.

Op said a win validates what we have done so far, I disagree with that statement. The wins over UF and MSU are legitimate even if we lost to USCjr. Maybe op has trouble expressing himself correctly.
I agree,what we have done so far needs no validation(I re-read OP) I am more focused on where we can go from here and what we need to do to maximize the potential of this team.We haven't gotten to this point all that often,now that we have let's go full Bum Phillips and kick the damn door down!!

Here is why I agree with the "need to beat USC" mantra, aside from the obvious of they are our direct competition in the pecking order of the East rn and we have 4 straight....If we get beat this weekend then we go right back to unranked and lose this momentum. However, if we win Saturday then it allows us to weather the storm of a likely L @ UTAM (while winnable, that'll be a very tough game) and still come out the other side in the top 25 heading into the bye week and then hitting the backstretch of the season with Vandy, MTSU, UL, UT all being games we should be favored in.

I expect SCar to absolutely load the box and make us pass. Muschamp will sell out to stop our run. If we adjust to that, we win going away. If not, this we be a very tough game and a sign of the defenses we will face from here on out.
Every team we play loads the box to stop the run. We have 5 dominate run blockers and two very good blocking tight ends and a rb that never gets tackled on first contact. Load the box all you want I take Benny and Terry all day against one defender.

Interested in seeing how the defense does vs the MST game...two very much difference offenses.

Agree, it is physical vs finesse' .We have proved we can compete with a physical team.Can we win in different ways?

I also think this week will answer another question,can we expect the team to play well vs hope there is not a big let down.Put another way how different is this team from other UK teams?

I think there is significant evidence that this is a different breed of Wildcat,but I want proof beyond a reasonable doubt,a win this week does that for me.

Playing finesse in the SEC is to hide the fact you can’t play physical.

There’s little evidence that USC can put up much resistance to our offensive attack, which will be run heavy even if they put 10 in the box.

Biggest threat this weekend is the Cats coming out flat. If we play a clean game and stick to the plan, there’s nothing USC can do to avoid loss.

Validation for what? USCjr will be the first unrated SEc opponent we beat. USC who finished strong last year is the team that needs validating

Reactions: BigTyrone

I agree...I fully believe. I’m speaking more from a validation for national respect. I believe we are still getting downplayed cause the name on our jersey and national folks will use a lose here to say “same old Kentucky”

MSU sold out to stop the run on Benny's last td. If they sell out we will blister them. Give Benny a crack no arm tackle will bring him down!!

After starting our 4-0, the stakes have been raised for this season. We are now in uncharted territory for our program. Having beaten USC 4 straight, makes this game even bigger than the last. The Gamecocks will be motivated to end that and get back some swagger that they lost by being blown out by UGA.

Most of the talk this week has been about UK's magnificent performance so far this season. USC is going out of their way to be quiet, with their coach even threatening to "cut" any player that talks smack about Benny.

This game is HUGE for both programs. USC was touted as the 2nd best team in the SEC East, UK's success so far has taken that away from them. The question now becomes, are we capable of holding on to what we've gained?

I have NO DOUBT we are, but it's going to take everything we've got to give. Our team KNOWS this. Our kids have worked so hard to get to where we are right now, I feel confident that they will continue to do so this week.

Now let's kick the Gamecocks butt this week!!!
Good post. I’m not really concerned with kicking their butt. I just wanna whip their a$$.

If the CATS go out and play like they did against MSU...chalk up another W for Kentucky. Now, can they lay an egg? Yep, but I hope they remain focused and go out and chalk up another W on the Gamecocks. A win on Saturday will make Kentucky fans just a bunch of SILLY NUTS! I think the Geology lab at UK will see it registered on their seismic recorders! :bomb::boom:

This is a big key to victory right here........
Yeah, there is a lot of talk about Bentley passing, but he needs time to pass. I just don't see them stopping Allen and I know they can't stop Benny. Not saying they can't win, but I think it would take a Central Michigan type first half for USC to beat us.

I’d like to have the big defensive plays but what encouraged me so much about the MSU wasn’t the D forcing fumbles and INTs but forcing punts. They didn’t allow them to move the chains and they got the ball back through forced punts. They keep their punter on the field and things should work out.

Reactions: Rembrandt90
I’d like to have the big defensive plays but what encouraged me so much about the MSU wasn’t the D forcing fumbles and INTs but forcing punts. They didn’t allow them to move the chains and they got the ball back through forced punts. They keep their punter on the field and things should work out.
I agree and will take this all day.....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT