ADVERTISEMENT

Time to Worry?

Nov 14, 2023
Not trying to be naive, I know we can’t win them all. But all it takes is one bad game, and we lose in March.
Of course every team plays their A+ game against us, but how do we adjust to that? What are we preparing for?
We are either hot or cold, let’s hope we can rein it in for the next month.

• Sad
Reactions: GoCats53
Not trying to be naive, I know we can’t win them all. But all it takes is one bad game, and we lose in March.
Of course every team plays their A+ game against us, but how do we adjust to that? What are we preparing for?
We are either hot or cold, let’s hope we can rein it in for the next month.
Yea I am worried now... not that we lost at USCjr.... but how bad we got whooped.

Maybe this will be the fork in the road, the wakeup call, the catalyst to get on a roll.

We will have an idea come late Saturday.

That game was an all systems failure. They seemed to have taken the effort from the last 10 minutes against Georgia and just continued it tonight. This was a 2 point game with 15 minutes left and then things just derailed.

Reactions: NociHTTP
Yea I am worried now... not that we lost at USCjr.... but how bad we got whooped.

Maybe this will be the fork in the road, the wakeup call, the catalyst to get on a roll.

We will have an idea come late Saturday.
Agree.

The loss sucks, but they happen.

The way we lost is very concerning.

Thank God we still have six weeks or so to figure it out. 🙏🙏

It’s definitely a time to hit the panic button. For any other team, this would be a wake up call and our coach would go back to the drawing board and fix it. But unfortunately, Cal is our coach. He will learn nothing and change nothing. I said it two months ago—if Edwards is still starting and playing over 20 minutes a game in late January, we’re screwed.

Not worried now. Just got a cold shot of reality. The team’s just not very good. Good when facing poorly coached teams like Georgia. Bad when facing well coached teams like TAMU and USC.

Reactions: CatsDomain
I'm just getting tired of losing the SEC regular season, losing in the SEC Tournament, and doing nothing in March. That HAS to stop and its time to hold people accountable.
Good thing it’s only January for your sake then.

Losing conference road games is going to happen to all but the all-time greatest teams, but yeah, I think it’s fair to be at least a little concerned after an all systems failure against a good not great opponent like that. It’s almost beating a dead horse at this point, but we have to be able to play some semblance of defense to get where we want to go this year, and it was a huge problem again tonight.

As good as we’d been on offense all year, we also completely wilted tonight when South Carolina started playing super physically. Yes there were some calls we didn’t get, but SEC officials have a habit of letting that kind of stuff go in recent years, so we’re going to have to adapt in order to avoid more games like this. Hopefully this leads to some guys taking a look in the mirror while there’s still time to improve.

Good thing it’s only January for your sake then.
Well with this loss the odds of winning the SEC took a big blow tonight. If we can't win here how are we going to go into an even more hostile environment against Arkansas and win? We exit this week with 3 losses and I don't see how the SEC title comes to us barring some miracle run through the rest of the schedule. We're so inconsistent right now I can't see us winning enough games in a row to make all of that possible.

I'm not surprised by all of the over-reactions after a loss on this board.

But, the lack of defense and poor rebounding is absolutely worrisome. Those two phases of the game are what you fall back on when shots are not falling.

We will play in rock fights again this year. We have to do the difficult things (rebounding and defense) well in those types of games or we wont win.

Agree.

Yes, a loss isn't the end of the world, but the continued lack of defense and rebounding, the poor fundamentals tonight, and the margin of defeat are all BIG red flags. Just a complete goose egg tonight. The team that showed up tonight loses in the first or second round in March. Very frustrating. Not much sense of urgency or will to win from our guys tonight. And it seemed like they were very unprepared. USC knew what they wanted to do an executed it perfectly. We looked disjointed and lost all night,

Reading the South Carolina board and they seem shocked at how well they played tonight. This was our worst game of the season. I think it was just a bad night on the road but man, this team definitely has flaws despite the talent level

Reactions: jjsomer
Reading the South Carolina board and they seem shocked at how well they played tonight. This was our worst game of the season. I think it was just a bad night on the road but man, this team definitely has flaws despite the talent level
Just hoping it was a one time thing, it was an awful night offensively. Let’s see what happens Saturday in another tough environment and go from there

Agree.

I agree and after tonight I expect everyone else to take it right at us and try to punk us. Time to “Get busy living or get busy dying “

Reactions: deplion
There’s nothing to be excited about from the end of the uga game to this one. It looked like a team disinterested in the game. This could be one one of those late Jan-early Feb lulls Cal teams seem to go through.

I feel like at Arkansas is now a very important win. If we lose both games this week, the rankings will drop in everything.

Reactions: RunninRichie
I don’t know if I’m worried but I am aggravated. Im
Damn sure not surprise. We cannot realistically expect to score 90 a game. This was gonna happen. Defense can be improved but it’s a choice the kids have to make. The coaches have to get more effort out of them. ASAP.

That game was an all systems failure. They seemed to have taken the effort from the last 10 minutes against Georgia and just continued it tonight. This was a 2 point game with 15 minutes left and then things just derailed.

This is when the flagrant was reversed and Mitchell was given a foul for getting elbowed in the face.

That's after South Carolina wasn't called for a foul until nearly 12 minutes into the first half.

I wouldn't draw too many conclusions from tonight's game. We had no chance from the outset.

There’s nothing to be excited about from the end of the uga game to this one. It looked like a team disinterested in the game. This could be one one of those late Jan-early Feb lulls Cal teams seem to go through.

I feel like at Arkansas is now a very important win. If we lose both games this week, the rankings will drop in everything.
We are out of contention for a 1 seed?

Losing a conference road game is something that just happens.

This game has a completely different feeling than the aTm game though. We got skull focked in this game. Never in it. Never looked like we belonged on the same floor.

That’s worrisome.

Announcer said something about all the one on one ball, but didn’t use the auditioning for NBA line.
That was implicitly implied. It's pretty much all these top draft picks think about from day one. Most of us wouldn't go skiing at the age of 50 if our jobs depended on us not getting hurt away from work. The same line of thinking is for recruits under Cal. He sells them on the NBA, and their thinking is "if I get hurt or play too physical here I'm not getting drafted". Just wait until the next coach comes along. I think the biggest difference we'll see is kids going ALL OUT on defense and offense, and that continuing all the way up to the end. It seems our kids right now just play hard until they've secured a spot in the rotation somewhere (because they know Cal is going to trim to a certain number of guys at some point in the middle of the season), and then they just back off to bide their time.

• Love
Reactions: tug1543
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT