ADVERTISEMENT

Realistic NCAA seed

TriCountyCat

Junior
Dec 5, 2010
Corbin, Ky
If the worst and likely happens and we drop games at Auburn, Tennessee, Miss State?, SEC Tourney, maybe one more at home (UT, Alabama) what is the prediction of NCAA placement. Best I can remember we have been better than a 4 twice since 2015 and we would have been in the Covid year. Thats not good enough IMO. With UK Cal should have better than a 4 80% of the time. Am I wrong in thinking this?

I think somewhere between a 4 and 6. Full disclosure- I don’t know much about the selection process. I feel we will deserve a 4 but might get dinged for the bad loss

If they go by the number of Q1 wins we are gonna have to win some games where we aren’t going to be favored. I said earlier in the year is Cal get worse than a 3 with this talent he has underachieved. By watching us play defense it’s apparent that none of our freshman ever has to guard in high school or AAU. So in Cal’s defense, that can’t be easy.

If they go by the number of Q1 wins we are gonna have to win some games where we aren’t going to be favored. I said earlier in the year is Cal get worse than a 3 with this talent he has underachieved. By watching us play defense it’s apparent that none of our freshman ever has to guard in high school or AAU. So in Cal’s defense, that can’t be easy.

It also says to me that whoever is doing these rankings clearly they do not evaluate defense. It's heavily skewed to the offensive side of the ball.

It really makes me take another look when they say Oh Player X is the number 1 rated recruit in America, what their game really is. Mostly on highlight videos, u see the offense. But if a guy is giving up as many points as he is scoring, that's a problem.

I got a feeling it’ll be like 2011. We’ll be a hot team by year’s end, but took some bad losses and end up a 4 seed.

2 seed is probably the ceiling at this point, and that would involve only losing a couple more games. Not sure I see that happening

Number 1 seeds are set. UConn, Purdue, UnC, and prob Tenn but could be Houston. After that who knows. It feels like the next 20 teams are all the same (in terms of seeding)

I think the season could play out where we are anywhere from a 2-5.
I think we end up a 2-4 but most likely a 2 or 3. I don't see a world we get less than a 4 seed. People don't seem to understand everyone has been losing not just us. 7-8 losses could still get a 2 or 3 seed depending.

I don't think it matters a great deal this year as long as it's no worse than a six. The way that the top teams have lost to lower tier will make for bracket pandemonium. The team catches fire at the right time has the biggest advantage.

Anything from 1 to 5 or 6 is probably in play right now. Every other top 10 team is going to drop a few more in conference except for UNC because the ACC is terrible. If this team runs the table (not likely but not impossible) it's probably a 1 seed. Drop a few more and it'll be a 2 or 3. If the wheels fall off it'll be a 5 or worse.

I find that a lot of opinions on this matter when the question was asked. A day out from USC, these predictions i think are on a bit of the lower side.

Before that game people couldn't believe Gary Parrish had us ranked where he did and that we were "easily" a top 10 team.

We are probably somewhere in between of all this.

Reactions: fatguy87
If the worst and likely happens and we drop games at Auburn, Tennessee, Miss State?, SEC Tourney, maybe one more at home (UT, Alabama) what is the prediction of NCAA placement. Best I can remember we have been better than a 4 twice since 2015 and we would have been in the Covid year. Thats not good enough IMO. With UK Cal should have better than a 4 80% of the time. Am I wrong in thinking this?
We have 13 games left. We will likely lose those 3 on the road. I also estimate we will lose 2 more. 1 in the tournament and 1 we don’t see coming. Maybe at vandy.

We have 13 games left. We will likely lose those 3 on the road. I also estimate we will lose 2 more. 1 in the tournament and 1 we don’t see coming. Maybe at vandy.
I thought the same thing and if that happens our number of quad 1 wins won’t be worth a crap. Let’s hope SC was a wake up call.

Right now they should be a 4-6 seed. They have 13 regular season games remaining and a lot of work to do to improve their seed line. 2-3 record vs Quad 1 teams. There are good opportunities left for big wins but it is time to start winning against these teams and let 2 Quad 1 games go in the last 2 road games vs A&M and South Carolina.

Last edited:
Except for when we were spitting hotfire from deep, we've consistently been in that 15 to 20 range on metrics.

I'll stick to a 4/5 seed based on that. If the bottom falls out, like in 2014, we could be looking at a 6-7 seed.

Reactions: KYExtemper
5 or 6 seed.

I agree with the majority on this thread, but it's still a little too early to speculate IMO.

Let's see how we do through these next 7 games.

@ Ark
vs UF
vs UT
@ Vandy
vs Zags
vs Miss
@ AU

If we go 6-1 over the next seven, I'd say we're firmly in the 2 seed conversation with an outside look at a 1 seed.

5-2 or 4-3 and we're at the 3-4 seed level.

We'd have to collapse to fall below a 5 seed.

Other teams are going to lose as well.

Reactions: KYExtemper
4 or 5 for me as well.

It would be interesting to go back and look at all posts last season and in the early offseason about this monster class and how Cal was getting things back on track.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT