ADVERTISEMENT

So when does the banner come down?

I would say it was gone before FBI stuff but with that and UNC skating surely the NCAA will uphold the original ruling. :D

Damn FrankUnderwood, can't you be a little easier on them? Their program is likely to get the "death penalty" in the next several months. It must be terrible to be on probation for being the nastiest program in the country and then get caught with you hand in the cookie jar again......stupid is as stupid does!

You’re right ! I need to ease up ;)

Reactions: awf
So you are "pretty positive" that the new UL administration (Postel, Grissom, etc.) is going to play hardball with the NCAA about removing the banner after they have summarily fired the miscreants that are the primary reason the banner is to come down.

So by saying the banner stays, the UL administration's position is that the wins should not be/aren't vacated. And if the wins aren't vacated, then Rick and Tom didn't do anything wrong. So a large part of the reason they were fired doesn't exist? You need to let Rick know how positive you are so he can file another lawsuit based on that alone.

I think he’s run out of ridiculous scenarios as to why he says UL “doesn’t have to take down the banner “ he’s already changed what he originally was saying once he was proven wrong. Initially he said the banner wasn’t vacated (wrong) and that the banner won’t eventually come down (wrong)

Now he’s just saying that “UL can’t be physically forced to take it down even if it’s vacated “ wth ?? Lol. Makes absolutely no sense whatsoever

That being said I still think he is an excellent poster , an AVID Kentucky fan (that much is glaringly apparent) and a well intentioned individual !!

:)

That being said I still think he is an excellent poster , an AVID Kentucky fan (that much is glaringly apparent) and a well intentioned individual !!

:)

LOL! If he and I were neighbors, I'm sure we'd get along great.

He does have an unintentional angle though. If Rick and Tom hadn't been "summarily" fired, it would have probably come down to fisticuffs out on the steps to the Yum when the NCAA showed up to take it down. LOL!

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
@FrankUnderwood

This is an actual answer to my question. You were perceiving it as in "how will the banner come down"? I'm surprised your answer wasn't "well they'll get up there with a ladder and cut the chord holding the banner" etc etc
Come on man, you're debating what the definition of "is" is. In the context of your question, "force" means compel. So how would the NCAA compel UL to take down the banner? The answer is a progression of penalties meant to starve UL of funding and prestige.

1. Future bans on postseason appearances. This, of course, deprives UL of both money and prestige, but UL could withstand this penalty.

2. Next would be a loss of televised games. The NCAA has the power and right to protect its brand. UL would be very unlikely to push things this far.

3. Next would be punishing the ACC which would force the ACC to set UL aside, basically like UL doesn't even exist. Let's call this a temporary death penalty.

4. The final step would be expulsion from the NCAA. Yes, they can do this. This would cause an immediate expulsion from the ACC.

Now, the academic exercise you're undertaking is interesting but money talks very loudly. The reality of how the NCAA can compel UL to take down the banners is a significant reduction of revenue. That's it. When they would scream UNCLE is slightly debatable but the end result is the same. Once enough financial pressure is applied, UL would "voluntarily" remove the banners. This would happen 100% of the time.

Therefore your query is moot.

So you are "pretty positive" that the new UL administration (Postel, Grissom, etc.) is going to play hardball with the NCAA about removing the banner after they have summarily fired the miscreants that are the primary reason the banner is to come down.

So by saying the banner stays, the UL administration's position is that the wins should not be/aren't vacated. And if the wins aren't vacated, then Rick and Tom didn't do anything wrong. So a large part of the reason they were fired doesn't exist? You need to let Rick know how positive you are so he can file another lawsuit based on that alone.
^^This

Come on man, you're debating what the definition of "is" is. In the context of your question, "force" means compel. So how would the NCAA compel UL to take down the banner? The answer is a progression of penalties meant to starve UL of funding and prestige.

1. Future bans on postseason appearances. This, of course, deprives UL of both money and prestige, but UL could withstand this penalty.

2. Next would be a loss of televised games. The NCAA has the power and right to protect its brand. UL would be very unlikely to push things this far.

3. Next would be punishing the ACC which would force the ACC to set UL aside, basically like UL doesn't even exist. Let's call this a temporary death penalty.

4. The final step would be expulsion from the NCAA. Yes, they can do this. This would cause an immediate expulsion from the ACC.

Now, the academic exercise you're undertaking is interesting but money talks very loudly. The reality of how the NCAA can compel UL to take down the banners is a significant reduction of revenue. That's it. When they would scream UNCLE is slightly debatable but the end result is the same. Once enough financial pressure is applied, UL would "voluntarily" remove the banners. This would happen 100% of the time.

The NCAA cannot and will not do anything if UL doesn’t want them too.

The NCAA cannot and will not do anything if UL doesn’t want them too.

This is 100% incorrect. UNC ruling be damned, the NCAA has ways to make UL choose between keeping a banner up and accepting all the punishments that have been laid out several times (btw, those wins have already been forfeited.... UL is appealing to get them back) or taking the banner down.

Again, you still haven't offered a suggestion as to how the NCAA will force UL to take the banners down.

Let me simplify this for you; NCAA says "you just take the banners down".

UL says "NO. You are a biased, crooked, corrupt, and flawed organization. We will NOT take our banners down".

NCAA says "Take them down, or else"

What would be "or else"? That's the part you don't seem to know or have an answer for. You just keep saying "they'll force them to take them down".

I'm sure when your son does something wrong and you tell him to stop, you have consequences for him if he doesn't stop. Let's translate that to this situation. NCAA says "take down the banner". What are the consequences if UL doesn't take down the banner? If you don't know it's ok to say "I really don't know". Because you don't, but your insecurity won't allow you to admit that you don't know.

This is my question and maybe someone else can actually give a legitimate answer. What would happen to UL or any school for that matter that refuses to take down a banner? How would the NCAA go about "forcing" them to take it down? Why wouldn't a school just say "no. You're not a legitimate organization. Kiss our asses"?

Again, I don't know what's so hard to understand about my question. I'm fully aware that the wins have been vacated, therefore the banner is false as UL is no longer 2013 NCAA champs. I get that. You keep telling me that and that's not the point or the question. Put down the video game controller for a second and think. But what if UL says they refuse to take the banner down? How would the NCAA force them to take it down?

When the NCAA starts lobbing more sanctions against UL they will comply.....it's all about the money. They will hit UL in the pocketbook. They can only afford to lose so much before they will comply. Just like when they get the death penalty they will be more than willing to renegotiate their YUM contract. It will be that or pay for a dark arena?

Unrelated to the new investigation because it is already at the appeal stage. Last article I saw said NCAA's response was due this week (they got an extension apparently) and UofL's president said a hearing would be in a couple months and a decision was expected by January. I would say there was a 99% chance that the ruling was going to be upheld, and after the recent events, that probably went to 99.9%. The irony is that if Louisville would have cleaned house like they should have after hookergate, the NCAA may have taken it easy on them and not stripped the title (we saw how soft they can be with UNC), and the Bowen situation wouldn't have happened. Now, Louisville was forced to clean house, will lose its Title and Final Four, and will still face a ton more sanctions in the future for the FBI stuff. Crazy.

It's not crazy at all...........Where I come from it is called, " paying the piper".

Reactions: Sawnee Cat

In a perfect world this is exactly the progression that would and should take place to force UL's hand. But we both know that the world simply doesn't work that way. Each new punishment/sanction/loss or revenue etc etc etc that the NCAA tries to use to squeeze UL into action will be appealed and drug through years of litigation and meetings with attorneys, etc. NOTHING, and I mean NOTHING, is that simple. No matter how obvious a violation of rules, we live in a world where a case can be made against the ruling.

My opinion is that regardless of any "rules" the NCAA has in place, they can ALL be challenged. And while what you say makes perfect sense, and is indeed exactly what I was looking for, it in no way represents what would actually happen. And that's very unfortunate.

Look at UNC. Athletes were funneled into fake classes to maintain eligibility. Case is as clear cut as it gets. Yet through lawyers and denial and prolonging and challenging everything, UNC was able to skate.

My opinion is that any school who in the future is punished by the NCAA, no matter how obvious, should stall, prolong, fight it, and simply refuse. And my opinion is that....it will work.

The NCAA may know exactly what "could" make UL take down the banners, but they simply don't have the nuts to see such measures through

When the NCAA starts lobbing more sanctions against UL they will comply.....it's all about the money. They will hit UL in the pocketbook. They can only afford to lose so much before they will comply. Just like when they get the death penalty they will be more than willing to renegotiate their YUM contract. It will be that or pay for a dark arena?

Then UL should take a page out of UNC's playbook (they have experience in this afterall) and deny and fight and prolong, and appeal, etc etc etc. Just push it off and wait it out.

This is 100% incorrect. UNC ruling be damned, the NCAA has ways to make UL choose between keeping a banner up and accepting all the punishments that have been laid out several times (btw, those wins have already been forfeited.... UL is appealing to get them back) or taking the banner down.

We will see....

Then UL should take a page out of UNC's playbook (they have experience in this afterall) and deny and fight and prolong, and appeal, etc etc etc. Just push it off and wait it out.
Sorry it doesn'twork that way. Penalties have been decided. There will be no stonewalling. U L basketball will continue its decline.

@43toeat77 and others don’t seem to be able to grasp this for some reason? Their Louisville Fandom and hope for UL / to keep the banners and wins has clouded their judgment.
The wins and banner have already * been vacated. UL is trying to appeal it, so technically it has absolutely already been vacated and “taken down”

He sounds like a UofL fan for sure

LOL. OK, sure. They aren't winning that appeal.

They might've had a chance of winning the appeal before the Adidas scandal. If the NCAA isn't going to take it after proving a coach cheated while on probation, they truthfully don't need to exist.

This isn't a UK/UL hate opinion. ANY program stupid enough to blatantly cheat while on probation (and appealing "unfair" sanctions) deserves to lose their banner.

Last edited:

They can make them take it down, by giving them another violation. If they do, while they have the program shut down, they can keep them shut down.

In a perfect world this is exactly the progression that would and should take place to force UL's hand. But we both know that the world simply doesn't work that way. Each new punishment/sanction/loss or revenue etc etc etc that the NCAA tries to use to squeeze UL into action will be appealed and drug through years of litigation and meetings with attorneys, etc. NOTHING, and I mean NOTHING, is that simple. No matter how obvious a violation of rules, we live in a world where a case can be made against the ruling.

My opinion is that regardless of any "rules" the NCAA has in place, they can ALL be challenged. And while what you say makes perfect sense, and is indeed exactly what I was looking for, it in no way represents what would actually happen. And that's very unfortunate.

Look at UNC. Athletes were funneled into fake classes to maintain eligibility. Case is as clear cut as it gets. Yet through lawyers and denial and prolonging and challenging everything, UNC was able to skate.

My opinion is that any school who in the future is punished by the NCAA, no matter how obvious, should stall, prolong, fight it, and simply refuse. And my opinion is that....it will work.

The NCAA may know exactly what "could" make UL take down the banners, but they simply don't have the nuts to see such measures through
I disagree with you. The case has been settled. It is simply stalled waiting on the appeal. Once the appeal is over and issues where UL is ignoring the sanctions would nor require a new NOA or determination of guilt by the COI. The NCAA would act in a way that's similar to a summary judgment. It would be swift and painful. There is no appropriate analogy between UL and UNCheat.

The difference is that UNc, no matter how atrocious the cheating, had cover from the NCAA due to how the NCAAs rules were written. UL has no such cover. Once again you look to simply want to argue and keep moving the goal posts as people keep proving you wrong or answer your prior questions.

Reactions: UKWildcatT
The NCAA has a club of 2 schools who can do anything they want without repercussion. Will they open the floodgates by allowing other schools to act with impunity, or will they make the first school that tries to bend over and ask for another. Te NCState ruling was a shot across the members bow. Toe the line, or eat %&^&. We can hope U6 is as obtuse as some of our posters

Easy answer, Louisville is NOT UNC or Duke. When the process is over, that banner will be folded and sent to Indy.

I believe it's been reported that the "final, final, final" decision on the appeal won't be until January.

Alright, take it down in the middle of the season, I wonder if there will be a celebration at half time?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT