ADVERTISEMENT

SEC Tourney Doesn't Matter?

Bluesbrother

Junior
May 23, 2002
For Calipari to make this claim should rightfully, open him up to a world of criticism. First, it makes him a hypocrite. While he's happy to soak up all the foundational benefits of UK being a member of the conference, it's an arrogant position to openly claim the conference tournament has no value nor is of any interest to him, but what would you expect from a narcissist? For some teams, who've had a lackluster season, winning the conference tournament is the only path to an NCAA tournament invitation. Considering the overall result of the Calipari malaise on this program, it may be that winning this very tournament could be Kentucky's best future opportunity to gain the same invitation into the tournament that Calipari claims as the only one the matters. It's sad that this man believes his opinion matters to anyone. He continually fails at the highest level on college basketball biggest stage, even though he's been given (not earned) every advantage to succeed. He cloaks himself in every imaginable excuse and when those excuses fail, he resorts to name-calling ... which confirms his failures and validate the criticism. No one is perfect and everyone experiences their own level of failure but the most important lesson that should be learned is humility and a willingness to honestly assess the failures and work to change and correct the missteps. This is where Calipari deserves all the criticism he sees today. The man has no humility, offers no solutions, and refuses to correct mistakes because of some sort of sickening pride that will forever be the poison that undermines the cure. If the trajectory of this program continues under Cal, the SEC tournament becomes more and more important, ironically.

Post Cal’s quote about it here?

Then quote the rest of the coaches that say they wish we didn’t have it.

But post Cal’s actual quote that hurt your feelings. No what you think you heard.

The mere fact he has said he doesn’t like it sends a message to his players it isn’t important so they don’t prepare and are not ready and don’t care. He should be fired for mal-practice and receive no compensation
Penned this in a different post yesterday and think it is appropriate here.

Is this clown an employee of UK?
Is UK a member school of the SEC?
Does the SEC require each school to participate in the Sec tournament?
Does COW as head coach at UK get paid to put together the best team possible and win as many games as possible?

Yes, yes, yes, and yes

Makes any game on the schedule fairly inconsequential. Just win enough games to get to the Big 3 end of year tournaments (CBI, NIT, or NCAA - either one is fine) and then make an effort, if it is not too strenuous on the players, to win. Absolutely no canoles on part of the AD or President if they don’t call COW into their office and rip him a new one. Not A lawyer and don’t know the wording in his contract, but cannot believe this guy saying the games mean nothing is not a breach of contract issue. Shows the low IQ of CCC, you can think the SEC tournament means nothing but you don’t say it out loud!

I want a real coach and someone who has some integrity. We won’t go far in COW’s “real tourney” and I hope the heat generated from an early exit runs his caboose out of Lexington and the Commonwealth.

Reactions: deep3

But post Cal’s actual quote that hurt your feelings. No what you think you heard.
1 tournament win in last five seasons is what has my feelings hurt...good Lord it's almost unbelievable to actually see it written

Reactions: CatPhight
He’s about to find out how important it is. All we had to do was win Friday and we locked in a 3 seed. If we end up a 5, he can’t whine about it. 9-loss teams are what they are.

Reactions: NociHTTP
For Calipari to make this claim should rightfully, open him up to a world of criticism. First, it makes him a hypocrite. While he's happy to soak up all the foundational benefits of UK being a member of the conference, it's an arrogant position to openly claim the conference tournament has no value nor is of any interest to him, but what would you expect from a narcissist? For some teams, who've had a lackluster season, winning the conference tournament is the only path to an NCAA tournament invitation. Considering the overall result of the Calipari malaise on this program, it may be that winning this very tournament could be Kentucky's best future opportunity to gain the same invitation into the tournament that Calipari claims as the only one the matters. It's sad that this man believes his opinion matters to anyone. He continually fails at the highest level on college basketball biggest stage, even though he's been given (not earned) every advantage to succeed. He cloaks himself in every imaginable excuse and when those excuses fail, he resorts to name-calling ... which confirms his failures and validate the criticism. No one is perfect and everyone experiences their own level of failure but the most important lesson that should be learned is humility and a willingness to honestly assess the failures and work to change and correct the missteps. This is where Calipari deserves all the criticism he sees today. The man has no humility, offers no solutions, and refuses to correct mistakes because of some sort of sickening pride that will forever be the poison that undermines the cure. If the trajectory of this program continues under Cal, the SEC tournament becomes more and more important, ironically.
Well let's see, losing to A&M most likely cost UK a 3 seed, so yeah it does matter.

Read KSR article about Pearl and u will see what said.

He’s about to find out how important it is. All we had to do was win Friday and we locked in a 3 seed. If we end up a 5, he can’t whine about it. 9-loss teams are what they are.
There was no "locked in " , there never has been. The committee does what they want. The fact that you know they could drop us to a 5 when we expect a 4, means you know we could have dropped to 4 expecting a 3.

Penned this in a different post yesterday and think it is appropriate here.

Is this clown an employee of UK?
Is UK a member school of the SEC?
Does the SEC require each school to participate in the Sec tournament?
Does COW as head coach at UK get paid to put together the best team possible and win as many games as possible?

Yes, yes, yes, and yes

Makes any game on the schedule fairly inconsequential. Just win enough games to get to the Big 3 end of year tournaments (CBI, NIT, or NCAA - either one is fine) and then make an effort, if it is not too strenuous on the players, to win. Absolutely no canoles on part of the AD or President if they don’t call COW into their office and rip him a new one. Not A lawyer and don’t know the wording in his contract, but cannot believe this guy saying the games mean nothing is not a breach of contract issue. Shows the low IQ of CCC, you can think the SEC tournament means nothing but you don’t say it out loud!

I want a real coach and someone who has some integrity. We won’t go far in COW’s “real tourney” and I hope the heat generated from an early exit runs his caboose out of Lexington and the Commonwealth.
Cal is a snake oil salesman. I'm tired of his B/S. All he wants is that multi-million dollar buyout.
He constantly brags about the NBA players "He" has put there! The fact is, that most of those guys could have gone to the NBA right from H/S. I wish he would just LEAVE!

Perfectly stated

Sucks hearing all the praise for Auburn and knowing that we had the talent.

Congratulations to Auburn and Bruce Pearl.

Reactions: TOMCATS1990
No team has ever won an NCAA title without at least advancing to their conference tournament semis. Of course excluding teams pre-2000 who did not have a conference tourney.

2016:
“You guys know I'm not a big proponent of the league tournament," Calipari said. "I hope you know why now. If you lose in the first round of our league tournament, you're out, you're done. That's not the case in most of these other leagues. And if you win our conference tournament, it doesn't mean anything. It doesn't move the needle. ... Tournaments really don't matter. Let's just say that”

2012:
“Everybody gets mad at me," Calipari said. "I can't stand playing in (conference) tournaments after the season's over. What's it do?"

2012:
Calipari's teams have won six straight conference tournaments - his last four Conference USA Tournaments at Memphis and his first two SEC Tournaments at Kentucky - but he continues to downplay their significance.
"Probably because I don't care about it," Calipari said. "I could care less. They know that.”

Just shows how much he is not a team player. We are in the SEC and governed by the SEC, do you think it is a good idea to tell these guys that there big event does not matter. Just not too bright.
FYI You get further when your going with the current rather than against it. But hey he get what he gets no matter what, Kentucky is the only one who suffers. Good job Mitch, I guess you didn't quite think that deal through.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kyhoward
If I thought this team was capable of plowing through the field no matter who they played, I would say by not playing those games it reduces the chances of experiencing injuries. However, it doesn't matter because we have a greater chance of losing in the first round of the NCAA tourney than winning.

All the life long die hards that save all year to go to Nashville to see the SECT every year and celebrate their Cats. It doesn't matter you dont matter to me is Cals message to those fans

Reactions: ArcticChar
All the life long die hards that save all year to go to Nashville to see the SECT every year and celebrate their Cats. It doesn't matter you dont matter to me is Cals message to those fans
And the ones who still go, the ones who is insulting, are the same people who still support him. That should tell you all you need to know.

And the ones who still go, the ones who is insulting, are the same people who still support him. That should tell you all you need to know.
I don't know how true that is. I know plenty that went to Nashville only a few were Cal ride or dies. You don't need to be a Cal pumper to love the Cats and want to watch and support them.

Used to be the UK Invitational Tournament.

Now nothing matters except for pasta, foot washings and draft stock...

PUeYWPe.png

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT