ADVERTISEMENT

How Long until UK is seen similarly as Indiana

From the 50's until 2000 or so, Indiana was seen as the Bluest of Blue Bloods. But extended and continued failures in the NCAA tourney after that has relegated Indiana to a point where they are not generally considered a Blue Blood anymore, after 60 years of huge success and like 10-15 years of what one could describe as average program results. Same thing happened with UCLA and MSU. And to some extent, other programs as well.

Yearly performance matters. History is constantly being created and if a program doesn't continue to succeed at a high level, it can be relegated to a point where it is not really a current Blue Blood anymore.

Considering this run of failures with/by Calipari, how much longer until UK is relegated to the "has been" Blue Blood status?
  • 2018, Kentucky: Lost Sweet 16
  • 2019, Kentucky: Lost Elite Eight
  • 2021, Kentucky: Didn't Qualify for NCAA Tournament -- 9-16 record
  • 2022, Kentucky: Lost first round
  • 2023, Kentucky: Lost second round
  • 2024, Kentucky: Lost first round
I mean if you are 19 years old today, you have to go back to when you were in 6th grade to recall when UK was relevant.

Thoughts?
I got news for you we are Indiana now and have become the laughing stock of college basketball.

We are not in Indiana territory. Indiana can't even sign any recruits and I don't even recall their most recent success. I'm not trying to prop up kentucky today but I damn sure won't say anything to prop up indiana by extension.
How long will Cal continue to get recruits now that the national media is finally calling him out?

We're already there. We're not irrelevant yet but that will come next if we do this for another 2-3 years.

We are not in Indiana territory. Indiana can't even sign any recruits and I don't even recall their most recent success. I'm not trying to prop up kentucky today but I damn sure won't say anything to prop up indiana by extension.
What do recruits matter? We have 2 lottery picks on this team.

I can't recall UK's recent success either. When was it? 10 years ago?

What do recruits matter? We have 2 lottery picks on this team.

I can't recall UK's recent success either. When was it? 10 years ago?
Well in Indiana’s case they have 0. So I suppose you have to at least field a team.

We are where IU once was. They didn't think they'd end up where they are now either. Don't think it can get worse? Just ask them.
What is done with Calipari isn't the danger zone. If you compare to Indiana you could say he is currently like Coach Knight was at the end of his career, doing enough to get by. In Bob Knight's case, he got tires of the recruiting stuff but still enjoyed coaching. He was taking teams with so-so players and still making the tournament. His coaching got him through the recruiting deficiency to be OK. Calipari is the inverse from outside looking in. Kind of a mediocre X's and O's guy but he covers that with the recruiting. The issue he has is the rule changes catching up to him on that front with the portal.

Sorry this is getting long winded, but to shorten it up, Indiana's mistake was the people they picked to be coach and then being reticent to move on quickly when they knew he wasn't the guy. We are in the middle of making that mistake again.

If you let Calipari go, that isn't the decision that matters, it is everything after that decision is made.

When I said they can’t sign any recruits I meant that literally. They have 0 kids on board for next season
I know. My comment is Cal is only successful recruiting. Now the media is on board with how poorly he coaches how long until he starts losing recruits? Woodson thinks he can recruit with Duke and Kansas when in reality he needs to recruit against Purdue and OSU.

What is done with Calipari isn't the danger zone. If you compare to Indiana you could say he is currently like Coach Knight was at the end of his career, doing enough to get by. In Bob Knight's case, he got tires of the recruiting stuff but still enjoyed coaching. He was taking teams with so-so players and still making the tournament. His coaching got him through the recruiting deficiency to be OK. Calipari is the inverse from outside looking in. Kind of a mediocre X's and O's guy but he covers that with the recruiting. The issue he has is the rule changes catching up to him on that front with the portal.

Sorry this is getting long winded, but to shorten it up, Indiana's mistake was the people they picked to be coach and then being reticent to move on quickly when they knew he wasn't the guy. We are in the middle of making that mistake again.

If you let Calipari go, that isn't the decision that matters, it is everything after that decision is made.
I totally agree with you. I was speaking to holding onto a coach too long.

Also agree on the dangers of what happens next. But, the danger of the 'known' (keeping Cal) IMO currently outweighs the 'unknown' (who's next).

From the 50's until 2000 or so, Indiana was seen as the Bluest of Blue Bloods. But extended and continued failures in the NCAA tourney after that has relegated Indiana to a point where they are not generally considered a Blue Blood anymore, after 60 years of huge success and like 10-15 years of what one could describe as average program results. Same thing happened with UCLA and MSU. And to some extent, other programs as well.

Yearly performance matters. History is constantly being created and if a program doesn't continue to succeed at a high level, it can be relegated to a point where it is not really a current Blue Blood anymore.

Considering this run of failures with/by Calipari, how much longer until UK is relegated to the "has been" Blue Blood status?
  • 2018, Kentucky: Lost Sweet 16
  • 2019, Kentucky: Lost Elite Eight
  • 2021, Kentucky: Didn't Qualify for NCAA Tournament -- 9-16 record
  • 2022, Kentucky: Lost first round
  • 2023, Kentucky: Lost second round
  • 2024, Kentucky: Lost first round
I mean if you are 19 years old today, you have to go back to when you were in 6th grade to recall when UK was relevant.

Thoughts?
Well, when our BB coach leaves for a lesser job, I guess that definitely confirms its happening. UK is a Blue Blood no longer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT