ADVERTISEMENT

SEC looking pretty good so far

IL Wildcat

Feb 20, 2003
Southern IL
Other than the Miss St loss, which easily could have gone the other way, the conference is having a good tournament so far. 4-0 today is pretty impressive. The 8/9 games and the 7/10 game are usually pretty telling because they almost always match up similarly rated teams from major conferences.

Missouri had a close game with Utah St for a while but won by 11. Arkansas beat Illinois pretty solidly. Auburn just finished off Iowa. I expected them to lose that game. Of course, Alabama wins by 20+. Anyway, good start for the SEC. And it's a good sign for UK also.

I say that there is more basketball talent in the SEC than any conference
Yeah, from a purely talent and potential point of view, that is pretty much always true. The league has had 2 main issues: 1. Coaching has been lacking and 2. The talent is nearly always very young and doesn't stick around long enough to become veterans.

However, the coaching has been steadily improving over the last decade, the transfer portal and the extra year of eligibility given by the NCAA have been a big benefit to the league, in my opinion.

What other SEC teams do have no bearing on the UK game tomorrow. UK wins if they play well. They are better than Providence. If they play like they did against Vandy. They will be sent packing.
Oh, no doubt, it may mean absolutely nothing for UK. If the Cats don't show up and play with intensity and effort it won't matter. It will be one and done again for the Cats. I'm just saying it's a good sign. We finished 3rd in a pretty good league.

And the other issue we've had is that we haven't been healthy in a month. So, if we have everyone available, maybe the team can make a bit of a run. Just trying to see the positive. 🙂

Oh, no doubt, it may mean absolutely nothing for UK. If the Cats don't show up and play with intensity and effort it won't matter. It will be one and done again for the Cats. I'm just saying it's a good sign. We finished 3rd in a pretty good league.

And the other issue we've had is that we haven't been healthy in a month. So, if we have everyone available, maybe the team can make a bit of a run. Just trying to see the positive. 🙂

That's not allowed here sir. Lol.

It would be our luck if sec goes 6 and 0 today and UK is one team to lose 1st round, other than msu of course n playin game. Hopefully UK will win tomorrow and then Montana state shocks the world.

Other than the Miss St loss, which easily could have gone the other way, the conference is having a good tournament so far. 4-0 today is pretty impressive. The 8/9 games and the 7/10 game are usually pretty telling because they almost always match up similarly rated teams from major conferences.

Missouri had a close game with Utah St for a while but won by 11. Arkansas beat Illinois pretty solidly. Auburn just finished off Iowa. I expected them to lose that game. Of course, Alabama wins by 20+. Anyway, good start for the SEC. And it's a good sign for UK also.

Brother ILL, (They call him ILL.)

I just hope these players can come up with some sort of gang/ pack mentality. Who knows what will come of it but this team needs to live or die as a team... (For the short term gang mentality will take you through...) Not sure there is any other chance... (My basketball strategy prowess is minimal at best but this team needs to jell as a team real quick and fight all comers...) Yeah, a pack of Wildcats...

Penn st has the build of a team I wish cal would look into. A guard who can consistently beat his man off the dribble, 2-3 versatile guards and fowards around that guard who are all shooters. And a shot blocker

A&M is a fraud. They don't play basketball. They play physical defense but drive and fall down on offense waiting for officials to make calls. Wade Taylor IV is Scotty Pippen Jr and I hate his game, how he flops, and how he/Aggies were rewarded for that nonsense all year in College Station. Buzz wanted to talk his sh** about the 7th seed, can't be beaten to death this badly.

A&M is a fraud. They don't play basketball. They play physical defense but drive and fall down on offense waiting for officials to make calls. Wade Taylor IV is Scotty Pippen Jr and I hate his game, how he flops, and how he/Aggies were rewarded for that nonsense all year in College Station. Buzz wanted to talk his sh** about the 7th seed, can't be beaten to death this badly.
Now you know why he wanted a better seed

I called them the Virginia of our conference. Being overly physical like Tennessee can work in conference sometimes, but in the tourney when you need buckets or have to hit 3s they always fail

Reactions: ralphdaltonfan
I called them the Virginia of our conference. Being overly physical like Tennessee can work in conference sometimes, but in the tourney when you need buckets or have to hit 3s they always fail
Yeah, I can see some similarities there for sure. One thing is certain, the physical play doesn't work in the tournament. Officials just don't allow the same kind of play outside of conference. The leagues that allow that junk do their teams a disservice in the long run, in my opinion, because it just won't fly when they get to the NCAA-T. Virginia met the same fate. Both lost to a lower seed. Virginia's upset was much worse by seeding, though. But generally speaking, teams that must rely on physical, aggressive defense don't do well in the Big Dance.

I have no clue how Virginia landed a 4-seed, on a related note. It just shows that the ACC bias is still real. That conference just wasn't very good.

I'm glad someone lost. I am a law of averages and numbers person so the league going 6 and 0 was giving me even badder vibes for our game. Now that a and m lost I feel better lol.

SeC will have great opening round but other than bama and Missouri not sure how the 2nd round will go. Auburn and Arkansas both have a chance.

F the other SEC teams. I only care about one SEC team. These other SEC teams hate us and want to see us lose every game
This.

We didn't need a strong SEC in the 1990s when UK went to Final Fours and/or had #1 seeds in 1993, 1995 (1 seed), 1996, 1997, and 1998.

We slaughtered the SEC in those days and there was usually only two or three legit other SEC teams, depending on the year (Arkansas, Mississippi State, sometimes Florida, etc.).

The notion that we need the SEC to be strong in order to make our program stronger for March is fallacy. Some of our best teams historically have absolutely cruised through a weakened overall SEC.

I also think it's absurd to think that we need respect for our conference. This is a narrative that started with Calipari. Who cares if our other SEC teams are terrible, so long as UK does what it's supposed to do?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT