Votes: 78 37.9%
  • Parents choice with in-class or virtual learning

Votes: 103 50.0%
  • Hybrid learning for all

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • Full Virtual

Votes: 18 8.7%

• Total voters
I teach at a Catholic school in Tennessee. Our diocese went with the parent choice option, however most chose to come back. Kids/staff have to wear masks at all times, dividers on the desks, hand sanitizer everywhere, checking student temperatures every morning, and teachers are rotating classrooms instead of the students. We started Monday so we'll see how it goes long term.

I love and miss Kentucky...but man, I'm glad I'm not teaching there right now.

I teach at a Catholic school in Tennessee. Our diocese went with the parent choice option, however most chose to come back. Kids/staff have to wear masks at all times, dividers on the desks, hand sanitizer everywhere, checking student temperatures every morning, and teachers are rotating classrooms instead of the students. We started Monday so we'll see how it goes long term.

I love and miss Kentucky...but man, I'm glad I'm not teaching there right now.
How are the students?

How are the students?
They're excited to be back among friends but they were pretty shocked at all the new rules. I have to remind them to stay socially distanced and to pull their masks up over their noses, but other than that they're adjusting to it for the most part. I think most would rather follow these rules than be virtual again.

We had an influx of enrollment because the local school district announced they weren't going back in person until after Labor Day. Parents wanted their kids in school so they signed them up here.

They're excited to be back among friends but they were pretty shocked at all the new rules. I have to remind them to stay socially distanced and to pull their masks up over their noses, but other than that they're adjusting to it for the most part. I think most would rather follow these rules than be virtual again.

We had an influx of enrollment because the local school district announced they weren't going back in person until after Labor Day. Parents wanted their kids in school so they signed them up here.
Awesome. Good luck.

So all kids need to do to be together at school and staysafe is practice social distancing guidelines, wear masks, etc.? I am sure many of our freedom loving friends on this thread are having some major issues with such draconian measures.

Why would they? Re-entry and non-symptomatic/non-direct exposure testing is asinine.

They are testing every incoming student so why wouldn't they test the staff? The point is not to say they should or shouldn't test any group...but rather if they are testing one group that will be directly interacting with the other, how do they not test both? Rather hypocritical.

A lot of interesting information from the hearing today in Frankfort...much of it to the dismay of Dandy Andy in regards to reporting. In other words, we are fed a lot of BS quite often.

Dalton Godbey has an excellent twitter feed at the present on these topics.

Last edited:
Wow.

I finally got diagnosed with ADHD this week after all my compensatory measures totally fell apart in quarantine and I realized maybe I had a problem. I have multiple friends who are desperate to get in to a psych office because they know they need help but places aren't taking new patients or are scheduling way into the fall. My mom is a hot mess of anxiety even with limited reopenings. I also know a guy who finally succumbed to addiction in May.

The psychological effects of quarantine are just unreal.

I know 1 16 year old that OD'd survived. I know several who dabble in drugs and others who are/have been cutters. I'm 38 and been a quadriplegic from the age of 1. I'm usually upbeat and my faith is strong, but this time has definitely been mentally/emotionally the hardest time.

Your posts are inspiring and I am sure you are a blessing to many who rely on your strength during this mess.

This message board obviously skews right but we're at 91% for back to school or parents choice. Lex Public Schools were reportedly at 73% with their survey with similar numbers in Lou and NKY.

Floyd County Indiana, massive school district, had 80% of students report to school, 3 cases with 3 classes quarantined until Monday.
At Tuesday’s GCCS school board meeting, Superintendent Mark Laughner said 58 staff members and 210 students were in quarantine. Those figures account for 4% of the district’s staff and 3% of all students attending in-person classes.

“To me, that speaks to the fact that our students, our staff are doing a good job with this,” Laughner said during the meeting. “When you look at the number of cases we’ve had with essentially 7,300 students attending in person, to have that situation is not too bad. They’re managing it pretty well.”

There was a guy that said that the politicization of this virus would be the next hoax. He was lambasted, misquoted, vilified as usual. But as usual, the essence of what he said was the truth.

Some won’t be able to admit it because it vindicates him. But you had to be blind to not see it coming, especially with this Governor.

If we’re lucky, this combined with the Floyd riots will end the power of public unions and the politicians they support.

Your posts are inspiring and I am sure you are a blessing to many who rely on your strength during this mess.
Thanks. I'm just a guy. Not perfect just living the life God gave me. The kids with autism and other special needs being basically just cut off from any services kills me. I did my research ASD. The lockdowns are brutal on them.

This message board obviously skews right but we're at 91% for back to school or parents choice. Lex Public Schools were reportedly at 73% with their survey with similar numbers in Lou and NKY.

Floyd County Indiana, massive school district, had 80% of students report to school, 3 cases with 3 classes quarantined until Monday.
At Tuesday’s GCCS school board meeting, Superintendent Mark Laughner said 58 staff members and 210 students were in quarantine. Those figures account for 4% of the district’s staff and 3% of all students attending in-person classes.

“To me, that speaks to the fact that our students, our staff are doing a good job with this,” Laughner said during the meeting. “When you look at the number of cases we’ve had with essentially 7,300 students attending in person, to have that situation is not too bad. They’re managing it pretty well.”
Tweet that to ole andy! Or I will lol

BIG one just in.

Cumberland county school board overturns superintendents decision to bend the knee to the government

The people won't stand for this much longer. The more counties that do it, the less likely one will just cave to Andy's tantrums. Kids need school!

Reactions: kyeric
Thankfully, neither of our schools were mentioned in the article. Floyd county is the second smallest county in the state (by area) but 7th in population density. There is also a large number of public housing units that are served by the schools in the article.

Last edited:

The people won't stand for this much longer. The more counties that do it, the less likely one will just cave to Andy's tantrums. Kids need school!
How school boards resolve the local outcome of b-sheer's politics will be determined by their own. Any school board, even in the most rural and conservative areas, comprised largely of retired public educators is unlikely to shrug him off.

Denver seems worried. Lol. Read the whole thread. Begging parents not to hire teachers or use pods.

Here is the complete release:
https://www.dpsk12.org/board-of-edu...rning-pods-and-their-impact-on-the-community/

The district losing the money that follows your child is their biggest concern, number 1 of 8 bullet points.

Class sizes will be even bigger if your child isn’t enrolled.

By not enrolling your children, class-sizes will grow and teacher positions could be eliminated due to the loss in funding.

Frankly I’m surprised that they haven’t mandated a $10,600 education licensing fee to be able to educate your children without their input.

For the children’s safety.

Here is the complete release:
https://www.dpsk12.org/board-of-edu...rning-pods-and-their-impact-on-the-community/

The district losing the money that follows your child is their biggest concern, number 1 of 8 bullet points.

Class sizes will be even bigger if your child isn’t enrolled.

By not enrolling your children, class-sizes will grow and teacher positions could be eliminated due to the loss in funding.

Frankly I’m surprised that they haven’t mandated a $10,600 education licensing fee to be able to educate your children without their input.

For the children’s safety.
Isn't it a joke?

With the silo'ing of media / social media, it is hard to get a true read of general consensus any more.

Thatsaid --> it certainly *feels* like the issues with re-opening schools is going to be the tipping point where the populace finally tells the government to shove this COVID shit up its collective ass and demands to get back to some sense of normalcy.

With the silo'ing of media / social media, it is hard to get a true read of general consensus any more.

Thatsaid --> it certainly *feels* like the issues with re-opening schools is going to be the tipping point where the populace finally tells the government to shove this COVID shit up its collective ass and demands to get back to some sense of normalcy.
It's absolutely a battle ground right now. Might even be changing the political landscape too. There are a lot of California folks really mad at gavin Newsom and his bowing down to the teachers union.

I think you all underestimate how low the media will go. Seems that hospitalizations are Andy’s new scare tactic.

Catholic School in Nashville area and my son has already been 7 days. So far so good; they have done an excellent job with a plan and with communication. He is in Kindergarten, so he absolutely needed to go. I don't see how the youngest school-aged children can do anything online.

But for older students or people with other situations, I don't see why a hybrid model wouldn't be a bad idea; everyone is different.

Catholic School in Nashville area and my son has already been 7 days. So far so good; they have done an excellent job with a plan and with communication. He is in Kindergarten, so he absolutely needed to go. I don't see how the youngest school-aged children can do anything online.

But for older students or people with other situations, I don't see why a hybrid model wouldn't be a bad idea; everyone is different.
If people don't panic the first time a kid gets sick with strep or flu or something, you'll start to see a bigger backlash from parents in districts that didn't open. A month from now, here in Kentucky, will be interesting. If the in person counties and catholic schools do well, the floodgates will open.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT