• Parents choice with in-class or virtual learning

Votes: 103 50.0%
  • Hybrid learning for all

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • Full Virtual

Votes: 18 8.7%

• Total voters
I'm in favor of having a choice.

Everyone has different circumstances and should have a choice to act in their own best interest.

I also feel that teachers have varying circumstances as well.....and should act in their interests.

I also feel that the school and each district has different circumstances and should have a choice. Madison County for example. They had a plan that was well thought out and they were ready to implement. They involved the teachers, they bought/gathered a ton of supplies, they ran through contingencies.......it was a good plan.......but oh well..... Also, a small podunk school that can arrange for a class size of a dozen kids can has different needs than a city school that has to managed class sizes much larger.

Being friends with some teachers, some school board members (some even that are part of the union)......and some school admin......this is a cluster-flop. The teacher's union is trying to strong arm the teachers into staying off. The school admin is being strong armed by Andy's office into compliance. It's all sick.

If healthcare workers haven't stopped working much. If grocery clerks can continue to work. If daycares can continue to work. If colleges can go back to a degree. There's no reason why schools can't go back reasonably.

https://www.wdrb.com/in-depth/archd...cle_72cd1b72-dcaa-11ea-858b-f72616d399b7.html

Interesting quote from this story:

Interim Education Commissioner Kevin Brown told superintendents on a webcast Tuesday that if school leaders choose to ignore the governor's recommendation, he would schedule a conference call with state and local education leaders in hopes of dissuading districts from pursuing such reopening plans.

If that fails, he said further action could be taken by Beshear, the Kentucky Department for Public Health or the Kentucky Board of Education to close schools.

I'm in Chattanooga and they are doing A/B groups where the A group does in person Monday and Tuesday then virtual the rest of the week and the B group is virtual for the first part of the week and in person on Thursday and Friday. They also gave parents the option of full virtual learning and I think less than 1,000 kids in the whole county are doing that. All of this was supposed to be based on active case count in the county which currently called for full in person classes, but they elected to do the split schedule anyhow. Today is the first day back for one group of students.

My wife is a teacher and is 7.5 months pregnant. We also have a 2 year old who goes to daycare in the school my wife teaches at. I would be lying if I said I wasn't concerned regardless of what the statistics show. Honestly we're just hoping all goes smoothly until her maternity leave begins and then she's done for the rest of the semester. We're basically going to be left scrambling if they go to full virtual at some point based on cases as my wife can't teach and watch a 2 year old.

Catholic Schools in Lou/Lex are moving forward as planned next week. Nice.

That's at least 4-5 sizeable districts telling Andy to get pumped. Be intersting to see if he tries to penalize them.

Have two kids in the system and believe this is absolutely a great decision. They need the social interaction and discipline that comes with attending classes. Great decision.

Andy is bashing the schools opening and allowing students in. Says they are risking lives of kids, teachers and grandparents.

I'm in Chattanooga and they are doing A/B groups where the A group does in person Monday and Tuesday then virtual the rest of the week and the B group is virtual for the first part of the week and in person on Thursday and Friday. They also gave parents the option of full virtual learning and I think less than 1,000 kids in the whole county are doing that. All of this was supposed to be based on active case count in the county which currently called for full in person classes, but they elected to do the split schedule anyhow. Today is the first day back for one group of students.

My wife is a teacher and is 7.5 months pregnant. We also have a 2 year old who goes to daycare in the school my wife teaches at. I would be lying if I said I wasn't concerned regardless of what the statistics show. Honestly we're just hoping all goes smoothly until her maternity leave begins and then she's done for the rest of the semester. We're basically going to be left scrambling if they go to full virtual at some point based on cases as my wife can't teach and watch a 2 year old.

That sounds like Chattanooga spent a lot of time during this extended break figuring out the best way to educate the children. Kudos to them.

Full re-open. Our children need, and deserve the best available learning experience we can give them, and that only comes from actually going to school in person.

If a parent can show just cause why their child should do online work, then they can bring the proper medical documentation to the school admin.

This virus is not going away, it's just not, so the best thing we could do as a nation is open back up everything, including schools. In this fashion it allows the virus to "burn itself out", although like I said, it will never go away 100% short of a vaccine, and or, herd immunity.

You could put a plexiglass barrier between teachers and their students plus have teachers wear bio hazard suits and the teacher unions and politicians would still argue there is too much risk involved.
This. It isn't about the virus.... november 5th..
I don't have kiddos, so I don't have a dog in the fight, but I used to do a fair bit of domestic violence/dependency abuse and neglect work. My heart breaks for those kids that have been trapped at home away from resources to help them, away from mandatory reporters (fyi all adults are mandatory reporters in Kentucky, but schools are HUGE for getting the ball rolling since they generally see the kids daily and can monitor progress). I haven't heard the teachers' unions say a damn thing about that. Covid is real, it's a risk, but the damage some of these populations are experiencing is far worse than a respiratory virus. The food poverty is also something that concerns me. Yes, I know there were deliveries of school lunches--my boyfriend's dad did it through the end of May--but still. There's so much so many are missing being out of school.

my parents homeschooled me, but it was a thought-out decision with a lot of research and both of them have college/terminal degrees, and we had outside resources (umbrella school, outside classes, etc) so I wasn't 100% at home. I did fairly well with it; my brother a little less so. It's NOT for everybody, and I can't imagine how working parents are coping with the prospect of NTI interminably.

tl;dr parents' choice, and get as many of these at risk kids back in the classroom asap.
Absolutely agree.

Reactions: kyeric
https://www.wdrb.com/in-depth/archd...cle_72cd1b72-dcaa-11ea-858b-f72616d399b7.html

Interesting quote from this story:

Interim Education Commissioner Kevin Brown told superintendents on a webcast Tuesday that if school leaders choose to ignore the governor's recommendation, he would schedule a conference call with state and local education leaders in hopes of dissuading districts from pursuing such reopening plans.

If that fails, he said further action could be taken by Beshear, the Kentucky Department for Public Health or the Kentucky Board of Education to close schools.
That is some bullshit. They have zero...(let me say it again for any coronabros in the back) ZERO!! data to back this up. Hope these districts take it to the courts.

Reactions: kyeric
Pretty sure the Catholic schools in Lexington are going forward with their in-person plans. They haven't really been provided with any reason to deviate from them imo. Not sure about LCA, Sayre, or any of the other private schools.
My son goes to LCA, and they are reopening with the option of in person or online. We are obviously going in person and they have to wear masks in the hallways, not in the classrooms but they have to social distance there.

Every time someone mutters "open school", Andy adds 50 more positive tests to the board.

This clown won in large part because of teachers, and I feel like he's really giving them the finger with this school stuff.
My old high school in Warren county(assuming all Warren county) goes back in 2 weeks. Andy is digging a hole to china and it might be his own grave...

That is big on Hardin County. That’s a pretty big county population wise.

my biggest issue is that the Governor has done nothing for kids with IEP. I have a daughter with one and we are going to push the shit of the school system to give her special care. She cannot do virtual.

When do you think we go back to in person school in Kentucky?

Personally, I don’t think it happens before the first of the year but I could easily see there being virtual learning the entire school year.

I just don’t know what metric Andy is using as the driving force in his decision(s) because it seems to change daily.

So our school district (Campbell) which was slated for 8/24 just announced they are following Dandy's suggestion. However, they are also pushing back virtual learning and school start date in general to September 14th.

This screwed the school calendar. Fall break- 2 days chopped off. We will be in Virginia on vacation.

Last week of school with no snow days is now May 31-June 4. Scheduled to be in Myrtle Beach (a makeup for same week this yr we canceled due to COVID).

Do those days count against my kid?

Just adds to my dismay.

FWIW- our superintendent stated that he flat out disagreed with the Govenor's recommendation and sounded like to me the board did not.

Last edited:
Parent of two elementary age kids. Definitely feel they should be back in person. Random thoughts:

* Why hasn’t King Andy been pushing schools to “fit” up schools/plan over the past 3 months so we are ready to go back to school now

*kids that aren’t in school are getting together with neighborhood kids and having small group schools..kids are playing city league sports, high school sports are practicing, College kids back on campus...etc, etc...virus is going to spread regardless

*kids that aren’t in school are being watched by grandparents, retired teachers are making $$$ by coming into kids houses to help <——aren’t these the old people we gotta protect?

*whats average age of teacher in K-12 school system compared to college professors? Guessing K-12 age is younger than professors...so why is king Andy allowing professors to be put into death traps? $$$$?

*why do our positive cases keep going up? I thought the masks protect us?

*30 more days of this, 45 more days of that, two more weeks of this, three more weeks that...blah, blah, blah...boom it’s election time and trump wins and they spend next 4 years trying to get him on something or the other guy wins and slowly all starts to magically improve

Parent of two elementary age kids. Definitely feel they should be back in person. Random thoughts:

* Why hasn’t King Andy been pushing schools to “fit” up schools/plan over the past 3 months so we are ready to go back to school now

*kids that aren’t in school are getting together with neighborhood kids and having small group schools..kids are playing city league sports, high school sports are practicing, College kids back on campus...etc, etc...virus is going to spread regardless

*kids that aren’t in school are being watched by grandparents, retired teachers are making $$$ by coming into kids houses to help <——aren’t these the old people we gotta protect?

*whats average age of teacher in K-12 school system compared to college professors? Guessing K-12 age is younger than professors...so why is king Andy allowing professors to be put into death traps? $$$$?

*why do our positive cases keep going up? I thought the masks protect us?

*30 more days of this, 45 more days of that, two more weeks of this, three more weeks that...blah, blah, blah...boom it’s election time and trump wins and they spend next 4 years trying to get him on something or the other guy wins and slowly all starts to magically improve

Regarding Professors....

Talked to a parent of UK student who told me UK Professors ARE NOT being required to take COVID test prior to school starting.

Can anyone confirm this?

High school kids when they head off to college will be like....
B0en53OCcAA8e8U.jpg

Reactions: PhDcat2018
Enough of this crap of ever more government control. KY should pass constitutional amendment abolishing public schools in favor of vouchers that parents can use at school of their choice. Vouchers banned for schools that want to charge beyond voucher amount. Students are chosen by lottery, not schools' choice.
Screw vouchers. Give people tax break. People who have been sending their children to private schools, paying taxes for public yet NEVER being any sort of financial burden on the public education system . . . provide those people with some form of balance before engineering a system that attempts to flood their virtuous institutions with welfare and undesirables.

Teaching is also THEE essential employee and someone needs to come out and say that.
you obviously missed the LONG, almost twenty or so paragraph letter (maybe more) issued by the KEA several days ago and attached to Gov. B-sheer's daily press publication. Goodness, all the KEA did for the first two-thirds of the damn thing was give holy sanction after holy sanction to public school teachers, present, past and future. You would have thought your daughter's sex-ed instructor was the very Team-Six operator who took out Bin Laden, but only if you forced yourself to think about your daughter . . . because it was after that first two-thirds, LONG, LONG, LONG, before the letter used any word like "student" or "children", and even then very, very little and maybe only once or twice. Words worn out, completely . . . like beat to death? "teacher, important, we, us, our, retirement, pension . . ."

Catholic Schools in Lou/Lex are moving forward as planned next week. Nice.

That's at least 4-5 sizeable districts telling Andy to get pumped. Be intersting to see if he tries to penalize them.
private schools are not "districts"

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT