Votes: 78 37.9%
  • Parents choice with in-class or virtual learning

Votes: 103 50.0%
  • Hybrid learning for all

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • Full Virtual

Votes: 18 8.7%

• Total voters
Next school board meeting is next Monday Oct 26 at 5:30 pm. Join us for the “80% Rally” rally to support that all families should be given a choice NOW to do virtual 5 days a week or attend in person classes 5 days a week.

Rally Details:
Date: Oct 26
Time: 5:30 PM

Please join our Facebook group (3,000 members) “Let Them Learn in Fayette County”

———————————————————————-
The families and staff of FCPS have spoken, and a majority want to return to in-person schooling. And yet, once again, those voices have been silenced by a handful of people sitting in a room. The next time they meet, let's make sure to put some faces with those voices.

On October 26 the FCPS School Board will gather for their regular meeting. Let's gather as well, outside Central Office, to remind them who they represent. We are the 80% that want to see our kids lives return to some sort of normalcy. Who know the risks of not being in school far outweigh those presented by the virus. Who will no longer be silenced.

All we have asked for is a choice. But because too many wanted it and too little work has been done to make it happen, we're stuck with a system that is failing our families. Enough is enough.

Reactions: bbonds
It will be August before they go back.

I’ve worked at home for years and my wife is a homemaker so the virtual learning is just fine for us. I’d advocate never having them go back.
^This attitude is why we have the issue. I'm happy it's good for you. That's great. It's good for most 2 parent homes, especially if one of the parents is already stay home.

But it's a massive issue for a lot of families, causing people to have to quit jobs, call off constantly, most people don't have the ability to teach, and it's catastrophic for the at risk kids.

Heart broken for those people.

Last edited:
Apparently 200 kids at Henry Clay ( I’m betting there are others too) that still don’t have Chromebooks and haven’t signed in yet to school..horrible. So they may go 7 months (June thru this coming January) without any type of instruction. People think the gap between have and have nots is bad now..school board is just making it worse day by day.

^This attitude is why we have the issue. I'm happy it's good for you. That's great. It's good for most 2 parent homes, especially if one of the parents is already stay home.

But it's a massive issue for a lot of families, causing people to have to quit jobs, call off constantly, most people don't have the ability to teach, and it's catastrophic for the at risk kids.

Heart broken from those people.

2 of my daughters friends from school have parents who work. Those 2 friends come to our house every day for NTI. It’s worked out really well.

So I read a bit about their comments....they said that assuming nothing changes between now and then, kids can either go back to traditional in school instruction in January or continue on NTI? It that's the case, why wait until January? That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard, and that is saying a LOT considering I frequent the political thread.

Reactions: kyeric
So I read a bit about their comments....they said that assuming nothing changes between now and then, kids can either go back to traditional in school instruction in January or continue on NTI? It that's the case, why wait until January? That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard, and that is saying a LOT considering I frequent the political thread.
They said "maybe" January.

Most homeschooled kids are from religious freak families. That’s the reason they’re socially maladjusted.
Right... Social interaction means nothing for non-“religious freak families.” BTW NTI isn’t homeschool. So there’s kids in abusive and sometimes downright dangerous environments at “home” but by all means keep er locked up and the kids on NTI.

Not to mention, are these at-risk kids getting their daily meals from school, that they never get at home? I know the schools are supplying the food, but someone has to pick it up. Plus all the kids who don't have Chromebooks or internet. What an effing mess.

Reactions: blubo
Not to mention, are these at-risk kids getting their daily meals from school, that they never get at home? I know the schools are supplying the food, but someone has to pick it up. Plus all the kids who don't have Chromebooks or internet. What an effing mess.

I don’t care, honestly. My kids are well fed and taken care of. They use their own computers I bought for them. If you can’t take care of your own kids’ needs, maybe you shouldn’t be a parent.

I don’t care, honestly. My kids are well fed and taken care of. They use their own computers I bought for them. If you can’t take care of your own kids’ needs, maybe you shouldn’t be a parent.
Yikes. I suppose no one else in your life ever helped you along the way. Only your parents. What an awful attitude to have.

I got a job when I was 14. I have no patience for lazy people.
Ummm, yeah. It's the blue collar folks struggling, pal. Both parents working outside the home is brutal right now. Basically forcing at least 1 parent to stay home or spend money on a pod if they can find and afford one.

Also, kids who didn't have a say in their parents are the biggest victims.

This isn't just lazy people having a problem. In fact most of them are crushing it at home on UE.

I'd read up and have a more open mind.

Ummm, yeah. It's the blue collar folks struggling, pal. Both parents working outside the home is brutal right now. Basically forcing at least 1 parent to stay home or spend money on a pod if they can find and afford one.

Also, kids who didn't have a say in their parents are the biggest victims.

This isn't just lazy people having a problem. In fact most of them are crushing it at home on UE.

I'd read up and have a more open mind.

Then get a better job. I don’t have a college degree and make more than enough to comfortably support my household without my wife having to work. It’s not rocket science.

Sweet Lord.

Americans are among the laziest, most entitled people in the world. It's an easy place to succeed if you're willing to learn a sellable skill. Most people don't have the commitment, they just want a handout. Unions killed this country - unskilled workers should absolutely be expendable and replaceable. If someone can walk off the street, receive some minimal training, and replace you at your job, you've got a shitty job. Find something new to do and become good at it. Build relationships in your space that are not easily replaceable. Companies are ALWAYS hiring good salespeople for example. If you can build a relationship with a client base and sell that client base products or services, you become an extremely valuable and well paid resource that cannot be replaced easily or without abrasion. That's what everyone should be shooting for.

Apparently 200 kids at Henry Clay ( I’m betting there are others too) that still don’t have Chromebooks and haven’t signed in yet to school..horrible. So they may go 7 months (June thru this coming January) without any type of instruction. People think the gap between have and have nots is bad now..school board is just making it worse day by day.

I can 100 percent guarantee you that that is not true. There is at least one Chromebook in every household that needs one. In fact, homes that can't afford broadband service are receiving, free of charge, pre-paid cellular HotSpots.

Now, do I think all of this useless? I do. But getting the resources to those that need them is NOT the problem.

In addition, a fully staffed help line is available from 7:00 AM to 8:00 PM (I volunteered to man the phones every night until 8:00, mainly because I don't have young kids at home etc.) to help with everything from logging into the Chromebooks, trouble-shooting their HOME WiFi issues, talking grandparents through signing into this "new-fangled email"

I'm not saying that there are kids that haven't signed in yet, but it has nothing to do with lack of tech resources.

I can 100 percent guarantee you that that is not true. There is at least one Chromebook in every household that needs one. In fact, homes that can't afford broadband service are receiving, free of charge, pre-paid cellular HotSpots.

Now, do I think all of this useless? I do. But getting the resources to those that need them is NOT the problem.

In addition, a fully staffed help line is available from 7:00 AM to 8:00 PM (I volunteered to man the phones every night until 8:00, mainly because I don't have young kids at home etc.) to help with everything from logging into the Chromebooks, trouble-shooting their HOME WiFi issues, talking grandparents through signing into this "new-fangled email"

I'm not saying that there are kids that haven't signed in yet, but it has nothing to do with lack of tech resources.
Fayette County had admitted to a lack of available chromebooks. At one point they were asking everyone to use their own personal computers at home to offset the shortage. They say the chromebook shortage is a nationwide program because of the run on ordering laptops.

2 things:

Not all of those 12,000 students NEEDED a Chromebook. And that was the beginning of school. You said that there were still 200 students at HCHS ALONE that couldn't do their work because they didn't have a Chromebook. As I said, any family that needs a device and/or internet has had that made AVAILABLE to them. 2 kids in a family might be SHARING a Chromebook, but the resources are there.

From your second link - "Chromebooks are still available ..."

So, not true.

And believe me, I'm not sticking up for the way any of this has been handled, but the technology department at FCPS has saved this school system's ASS.

I got the Henry Clay comment from a call with a school board member. A person mentioned a high school being short but couldn’t remember which one and the board member said yeah that was/is Henry Clay. Maybe they aren’t anymore?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT