ADVERTISEMENT

Sahvir Wheeler to UK

Did I miss it....where is the interview you guys have discussed throughout this thread? I would like to hear it. Thanks in advance.

We don't need him to shoot, we need him to distribute. Good thing that's where he shines. On top of being a stud ball player, he's got a radiant personality and seems truly excited to be coming to UK.
I disagree with this. He will be a lot more effective if he hits shots, if he stays at or near 22% from the outside, he will not fool anyone for very long. Every weakness will be exploited, especially in the NCAAT.

He becomes very guardable if he can't prove that he can hit shots. South Carolina neutralized Wheeler to the tune of a 21 point beatdown by sagging on him and taking away passing and driving lanes.

If we want UK to be a true contender, he has to shoot a hell of a lot better than 22%. I'm not dumping on him, it's just a fact.

Last edited:
This may sound odd, but it almost comes across as if Sahvir recruited Kentucky. You can tell he said the things Cal wants to hear from his PG and that he's done his homework.

I think that might be the case with a lot of these transfers. They wanted to play at places like this in the first place but didn't get offered. Now that they've shown what they can do on the court, they're hungry for that opportunity.

That's a different mindset from some of the high school recruits.

One thing that hasn't really been discussed explicitly in this thread -- dictating tempo.

That's a huge asset, especially for the roster Cal has put together. It's not measurable directly in stats like 3-point shooting percentage or turnovers or assists. But how many of the NCAA tournament games just passed were won by the team able to dictate tempo?

From what I've seen, Wheeler looks like a guy with all the tools to set tempo, and to keep the other team's PG from dictating tempo. That's critical.

I disagree with this. He will be a lot more effective if he hits shots, if he stays at or near 22% from the outside, he will not fool anyone for very long. Every weakness will be exploited, especially in the NCAAT.

He becomes very guardable if he can't prove that he can hit shots. South Carolina neutralized Wheeler to the tune of a 21 point beatdown by sagging on him and taking away passing and driving lanes.

If we want UK to he a true contender, he has to shoot a hell of a lot better than 22%. I'm not dumping on him, it's just a fact.
We are not used to guards shooting 1 for 5 or 1 for 6 from threes. 😈

All he has to do is hit ONE more shot per game behind the arc and he’s in the high 30’s. Hell, 26% is an upgrade in most games last year.

But your point is valid, just doesn’t need to be a sharp shooter, but with the D stretched his looks will be soooo much more open.

Reactions: kyjeff1
One thing that hasn't really been discussed explicitly in this thread -- dictating tempo.

That's a huge asset, especially for the roster Cal has put together. It's not measurable directly in stats like 3-point shooting percentage or turnovers or assists. But how many of the NCAA tournament games just passed were won by the team able to dictate tempo?

From what I've seen, Wheeler looks like a guy with all the tools to set tempo, and to keep the other team's PG from dictating tempo. That's critical.
I think we can all agree that Cal's defense, when executed properly, is elite. It's not easy to run, it takes discipline, but we have seen it work.

My dream scenario would be for Cal to couple that defense with Gonzaga's offensive style. He could do that this season. He has the shooters, the length and the athletesism to pull it off.

All he has to do is hit ONE more shot per game behind the arc and he’s in the high 30’s. Hell, 26% is an upgrade in most games last year.

But your point is valid, just doesn’t need to be a sharp shooter, but with the D stretched his looks will be soooo much more open.
I mean, he just needs to put the time in the gym. It's not like he's incapable of fixing his shooting percentage.

If I'm him, I work with Grady and CJ in the gym and mimic what they're doing. Obviously they're doing something right.

images
He looks like Cal stole his lunch money.

He will not be taking many contested, bad threes like he had to do last year at Georgia. I will really be surprised if he shoots under 30% from three at UK. He took better shots his freshman year and shot it much better (32%)

He will not be taking many contested, bad threes like he had to do last year at Georgia. I will really be surprised if he shoots under 30% from three at UK. He took better shots his freshman year and shot it much better (32%)
Good sir, that’s exactly what I said. I’m sure our coaching staff will guide him to better understand what a point guard is truly all about.

Reactions: WV Wildcat

If we want UK to be a true contender, he has to shoot a hell of a lot better than 22%. I'm not dumping on him, it's just a fact.
when he beats his man off the dribble (which he does a lot) what does he force the defense to do?

that is why he gets so many assists and will be such an asset to this team

Zone the guy who led the conference in assists with some combination of TyTy, Fredrick, Grady, and Allen on the wings? Fine with me
im sure the wings will love facing off against 2 defenders to get a shot off... that always helps shooting numbers lol. Guys that cant shoot always hurt offenses to some degree.... better we pray his strengths outweigh how much bad shooting hurts.

Reactions: RunninRichie

its the typical overhype of every UK player. these same people were saying great things about Askew a year ago. Wheeler has to improve that shot a ton or we'll lose some games until Tyty takes over. Im rooting for him to improve a lot and do well but its absolutely a see it to believe it scenario .

and a triangle and 2 zone could hurt us... a guy on the Sg and sf and the guy playing zone just helps on whichever guy Wheeler tries to pass to. Wheeler needs to improve that shot ... or hopefully Cal wont be so slow to let Tyty take over as he was to put Mintz at PG this past year.

im sure the wings will love facing off against 2 defenders to get a shot off... that always helps shooting numbers lol. Guys that cant shoot always hurt offenses to some degree.... better we pray his strengths outweigh how much bad shooting hurts.
so they are going to let Wheeler have a free lane to the basket

tell us all how that is a bad thing

its the typical overhype of every UK player. these same people were saying great things about Askew a year ago. Wheeler has to improve that shot a ton or we'll lose some games until Tyty takes over. Im rooting for him to improve a lot and do well but its absolutely a see it to believe it scenario .
Would you prefer us to under-hype. We’ve got a few posters here I’d like you to meet. 🖐🔥😎

It’s not infallible, sure, but if he’s the guy in the middle of the zone his three point ability really doesn’t matter at all. Grady and Fredrick are also good passers, and TyTy figures to be as well so I trust their ability to swing the ball if they don’t have the shot

Reactions: westerncat
I’m very excited to learn he is coming and is looking forward to setting the table for what I hope will be an effective offense.

you mean a free lane for the defending big man to rotate over and swat his sh*t back to his hometown? maybe that would work if he was as tall as typical Cal pg.s
and when that big man rotates over that leaves someone open for an assist
basketball 101

all that garbage of playing 5 on 4 is just that....... garbage

I don't think anyone believes he'll NEVER shoot. But we didn't need an elite 3 point shooter at PG. It would be great to get someone that does everything. But the reality of the situation is you take a guy like Wheeler.

In saying we don't need him to shoot--I think his main job needs to be setting up his teammates. We've got 3 guys that should be awesome shooters in Allen, Grady and CJ. We've got bigs that can slam it home inside. Wheeler needs to run the show.

Of course he'll have situations where he's open and he can't turn down the shots. He needs to be respectable. He was his freshman year. I almost can't fathom a situation where he goes to a way better team--where he doesn't have to force a lot--and still shoots so poorly and turns it over as much.

But he doesn't need to shoot it from deep more than 2 or 3 times a game. He needs to be getting in the paint, collapsing the D, and finding the open man.

Reactions: BlueLegends
It’s 2021 and your PG or lead guard needs to be a competent shooter. The worry isnt teams playing zone but sagging off the PG and clogging up all passing lanes. That’s a different strategy than zoning.

But his experience should be a plus. This isn’t a roster that’s gonna go from 9-16 to title contender but it does seem like one to compete for a tourney bid. And hopefully it sets the foundation for rebranding and how to build a roster going forward that has more continuity and development.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
Bad few weeks for all the Cal haters
Have you noticed the past 3 weeks or so a lot of them have disappeared or hardly posted? LMFAO

Ok, ok I just listened to the announcement and I'm ready to roll with this kid and the 10 we have, but I sure do hope we add 2 more out of Jackson, Brooks, and Mintz. We had 11 last year and seemed short-handed at times and we have had injuries every year for a while now so I hope we end with at least 12. Goodman looked like he wanted to say F**k when he said Kentucky. I feel good about this roster and coaching staff. Cal has really stepped up and fixed every dam thing he needed to. Now he has to execute it when we play, but dam it looks exciting so far.

Cal to the haters:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT