ADVERTISEMENT

Pilgrim says Hurley

He'd try to have half of us kicked out of Rupp every game lol. He's winning bigly but just don't see the fit.
I think the possibility of it ending very ugly is there, but I'd be more concerned about a Bobby Knight situation.

Calipari used UK fandom to further his self serving agenda , Hurley might use it as a club

But it could be a wild ride if the guys owns it and wins

I think the possibility of it ending very ugly is there, but I'd be more concerned about a Bobby Knight situation.

Calipari used UK fandom to further his self serving agenda , Hurley might use it as a club

He's probably the top of the list even if I don't like his personality one bit. He's an asshole, but if he's gonna be an asshole winning championships, he can be our asshole.

Mike DeCourcy says Hurley will say no as will everyone else of any substance including Drew, Oats, Donovan, Wright and Stevens. Sounds like Mike thinks we will only be able to get Pitino, a mid major up and comer or Power 5 low hanging fruit.
It's possible, but I bet he also thought there was no way Cal goes to Arkansas before it started breaking either. He's just making assumptions. I will assume Hurley is using us for a pay raise until I see otherwise. Oats, Drew, Pearl, are realistic with maybe a few others thrown in. I'm not buying Donavan, Wright, or Stevens. Donavan is the only one of those 3 that I think is even remotely possible.

Definitely not a shoe in that we get someone better than Cal, and I'm not 100% sure the realistic options are.

It's all in Mitch’s hands and that should make us all nervous. Could go either way.

DeCourcey used to have his finger on the pulse of college basketball.

for the past few years, he has trouble distinguishing what he thinks should happen from what will actually happen. He's stopped reporting and started editorializing.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Something many aren't taking into account is conference realignment. Uconn may not have a conference in 5 years, or one that gets 1/10th of the big 2s money.

It's not outside the realm of possibility that the big 2 break off soon with 1-2 others and have their own postseason. We all know this is football driven, but basketball could be drug along due to media contracts.

Greatest program of all time in the reliable top football conference and highest paid coach is a strong sell. No worries about conference instability.

The coach of Kentucky leaving has eclipsed the national title game as the major news story

The UConn coach who may repeat as national champion is being talked about as the replacement, not about him coaching the game - and he will be asked before and after the game about Kentucky

Kentucky is still Kentucky folks.

Both of these will be and are MAJOR points for UK.

Dan Hurley is not being talked about for back-to-back title games. He's being talked about as a possible replacement at UK. No other school provides that. With or without Cal, we are the needle (even when we ain't playing or winning). Our coaching search is overshadowing the fist back-to-back title contender since Florida 15+ years ago.

Also, UConn will be left outside when the big conferences leave the NCAA. Will make the monetary hole they are already in that much deeper.

He may not come here, but people who act like we have nothing to offer aren't looking deep enough.

The coach of Kentucky leaving has eclipsed the national title game as the major news story

The UConn coach who may repeat as national champion is being talked about as the replacement, not about him coaching the game - and he will be asked before and after the game about Kentucky

Kentucky is still Kentucky folks.
Do you remember 2003 when the UNC job was open and Roy Williams was coaching Kansas in the national title game? Doherty was let go on April 1, the Tuesday before the Final Four, and Ropy Williams was their obvious target, having turned down the job a few years earlier. Talked about it all week. That was a crazy one.

This. Hurley had never been past the round of 32 before last season. Plus, he’s an asshole
He also had to rebuild a program that was treading water. It took him time to develop non 5 stars and then he built a powerhouse, then lost most of that roster and had another

If he had the players we can get he wouldn’t be struggling early

The conference angle is an interesting one. Kentucky is 100% safe in a football conference, having a football school that's actually halfway decent. Uconn though, lot of questions where they will wind up.

To get a raise at UConn
This. Hurley would be the one name that surprises me more than anyone else if it happened. Hurley has UConn rolling and would be a legend there if he’s the one that surpasses the Carolina schools and potentially UK on all time titles…ucla is out of reach but we are in the target zone. He is a made man there right now with next to no pressure. Idk why he’d leave to a pressure cooker where he’d have 5 years to reprove himself.

With that said, I know nothing about UConn’s facilities, NIL, etc…. I’m looking at it from a purely psychology standpoint

Edit: @etownblue25 brought up conference realignment and league money…that would be the answer to “why?”

This. Hurley would be the one name that surprises me more than anyone else if it happened. Hurley has UConn rolling and would be a legend there if he’s the one that surpasses the Carolina schools and potentially UK on all time titles…ucla is out of reach but we are in the target zone. He is a made man there right now with next to no pressure. Idk why he’d leave to a pressure cooker where he’d have 5 years to reprove himself.

With that said, I know nothing about UConn’s facilities, NIL, etc…. I’m looking at it from a purely psychology standpoint

Edit: @etownblue25 brought up conference realignment and league money…that would be the answer to “why?”
Hurley is also a Pitino fanboy. He's wired for the challenge. Has talked about wanting to take the Knicks back to the glory days. I think a job like this makes guys like him tick. Like it made Rick tick.

Mike DeCourcy says Hurley will say no as will everyone else of any substance including Drew, Oats, Donovan, Wright and Stevens. Sounds like Mike thinks we will only be able to get Pitino, a mid major up and comer or Power 5 low hanging fruit.
He’s the only one who has said that. I hope he’s way out to lunch.

DeCourcey used to have his finger on the pulse of college basketball.

for the past few years, he has trouble distinguishing what he thinks should happen from what will actually happen. He's stopped reporting and started editorializing.
He used to be really good, I hope this is the truth.

If you think things will get dark with the eclipse tomorrow, you haven't seen anything yet. Kentucky basketball is going to the dungeon never to redurface!!!!!!!!
You sound like a battered wife. I could be wrong, but there might be direct flights from Louisville to Little Rock on Southwest. Go check it out

I think Hurley has a lot to offer, but besides the obvious, he has that Northeaster F U attitude I loved in Pitino. He could come in and wouldn't care what people thought. He would do it his way

If you think things will get dark with the eclipse tomorrow, you haven't seen anything yet. Kentucky basketball is going to the dungeon never to redurface!!!!!!!!
I do t don’t know redurface means but hopefully you make it sound bad. Don’t be so mad bro just buy an Arkansas hoodie and go with him.

I think Hurley has a lot to offer, but besides the obvious, he has that Northeaster F U attitude I loved in Pitino. He could come in and wouldn't care what people thought. He would do it his way
yea, exactly what Barnhart does not want. He had his fill of that with Cal

Reactions: dl51344
I have a strong feeling it's not going to be any of the names that we are mentioning ad nauseum here past two days.

I don't think he comes here but I don't know the man. Who knows what his dreams and aspirations are,maybe the UK job might further them in his mind, if so he might consider it. As for him being an asshole, come on ,Pitino was a full fledged prick from day one here. Read a book about Rupp a gold plated asshole if ever there was one. He called his subs turds didn't even acknowledge he knew there name. I could go on, but a pleasant disposition isn't necessary to be successful here
Seems like most great coaches are arrogant @$$holes. We don't need a nice guy type. We had that with Tubby and it didn't go real well after the first year. Just a few Elite 8's to show for it. We had the right type with Pitino and early Cal before he went all in on the players first nonsense. He actually wanted to catch UCLA back then. He stopped caring and the results showed on the floor.

UConn loses tonight = a tiny sliver of hope that Hurley may come here
UConn wins tonight = no chance

UConn loses tonight = a tiny sliver of hope that Hurley may come here
UConn wins tonight = no chance

I'm in the camp of this doesn't matter as much as some think.

I think the most likely scenario is he stays at Uconn.

But if he is open to moving, I don't see how winning two titles instead of one title really changes that all too much. If he's looking to move, he's looking for something that Uconn can't offer. Maybe that's to be at a top program like UK. Maybe it's more money. Who knows.

Pilgrim just said on his youtube live he was told Dan Hurley will listen if the Call from UK comes.
I'm afraid he is too much of a north eastern guy to want to come to Ky. He will listen, as a threat, so he can get himself a good raise there

All Hurley is going to use us for is to get a huge contract out of UConn since his contract was on the verge of being renegotiated anyway. Anyone that thinks we have a chance to land him is insane. His roots are in the Northeast and that's where his family wants to live.
Pitino had roots up in the Northeast. Even Cal was from up near that area. So I don't think that will be the hurdle to getting him. It's does he want to coach at the biggest college basketball school in the country where you have millions of us crazy fans? Can you also handle living in that fishbowl? The conference alignment could play a major role as well. Do you risk being left out by not joining one of the 2 big conferences?

Last edited:
He's probably the top of the list even if I don't like his personality one bit. He's an asshole, but if he's gonna be an asshole winning championships, he can be our asshole.
Rick Pitino was and still is a huge asshole, but he also may well be considered the 2nd best coach to ever set foot in our program. I don't want him back, but just saying asshole coaches are usually pretty good coaches, at least in our experience.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT