ADVERTISEMENT

Sahvir Wheeler to UK

Kentucky just added the best point guard in the transfer portal -- forget unrealistic options like Carr and Alvarado and Martin.

Picking up a rising junior who was All SEC second team -- and who is willing to play with one of the three best Point Guard recruits coming out of high school -- that's remarkable.

He should be....last year was an epic failure
I hope he doesn’t become disillusioned. He said he wants to play fast and loose and be joyful. In the last two years he was allowed to play through his mistakes and learn from them. If Cal does what he normally does with his yelling and screaming and yanking kids with the short leash when they miss a shot, then all of this will be for nothing. I hope he changes his ways and let’s the kids play. Coach during the week and them let them play. When the game tips off Cal gets tighter than a bulls ass in fly season and it gets worse as we get to sec play and then the tournament. Cal has a ways to go to complete all changes needed.

This kid is going to be serving hefty portions of crow throughout the season next year. Suit up....

5ZZw.gif

Cal was looking for an unselfish team player that WANTED to be the final piece to a championship level team, looks like he could be just that. From the interview, he sounds like he wants to do whatever it takes to win, EXACTLY what we need.

Put this kid on a team full of scoring options and he could be fantastic!!

LET’S BALL !!

Last edited:
All of those that bashed this kid and said he wasn’t UK material will be eating crow next season. Mark my words. He is a player!
Agreed!

He had to force things with Georgia last year. When he had Anthony Edwards on his wing, his stats were much better. Now, he won't have a superstar like Edwards, but will have a whole host of knock down shooters and scorers. I'm willing to bet that his 3 point percentage will be closer to what is was the year with Edwards than last year and that his turnovers will substantially decrease.

Damn that was impressive- he knew every guard combination at UK in last ten years
He will be a star im telling you just wait will be as popular as Tyler Ulis was
Yeah he was well versed in who Cal has had. I love it. He’s done his homework.

I hope he doesn’t become disillusioned. He said he wants to play fast and loose and be joyful. In the last two years he was allowed to play through his mistakes and learn from them. If Cal does what he normally does with his yelling and screaming and yanking kids with the short leash when they miss a shot, then all of this will be for nothing. I hope he changes his ways and let’s the kids play. Coach during the week and them let them play. When the game tips off Cal gets tighter than a bulls ass in fly season and it gets worse as we get to sec play and then the tournament. Cal has a ways to go to complete all changes needed.
I don’t think that’s all truth. Most years we are very prepared during the tournament. You don’t have the most wins over 10 years being uptight. That’s Tony Bennett and Boeheim over the years. Consistently underperforming your seed.

Reactions: GonzoCat90
Watching him shoot the 3 over on KSR you see a shot that isn't completely broken. Just a few tweaks to footwork(how he gets himself lined up for the shot) and release(getting his shoulders more square and getting the ball out of the cradle position in his hand) and we could see an improved 3-pt shooter. I see no reason he can't find a way to hit a 33% clip. Still not great, but would still be good enough to make them be more aware of him from back there. Still, he isn't coming here to be a volume 3-pt shooter. He's coming here to get to the damn basket and open up the floor for our shooters and give Oscar room to operate down low.

I like this inside the arc shooting stat:

Wheeler was one of the best play-making guards in the country last year, which is something that the Cats were missing last season. He averaged 14 points, 7.4 assists, 3.8 rebounds, and 1.7 steals per game for the Bulldogs in 2020-2021.

The big downside to his sophomore season was he shot just 22% from three. However, the 5-10 guard is a career 47.9% shooter from inside the three-point line and he can get to and finish at the rim.

However, Kentucky is not bringing Wheeler in to be a three-point shooter. With Dontaie Allen returning and the additions of Kellan Grady and CJ Fredrick, Calipari finally has the outside shooters his team has lacked far too often.

I think this is a good pick up. He has some things to improve on and I'm sure he knows what those things are. Looks to me like he is an extremely hard worker, so I hope he gets it done.

Now, my hope is that we return Mintz and Cal runs a 3 guard set. Maybe a 4 guard set in certain situations.

Some are too hung up on his low 3 pt shooting. He gives us a guy who can break his man down, get in the lane and is really good at finding open guys. If everyone really wants the open, spacing offense we say we want, a guy like that fits in beautifully. Surround him with 2 or 3 guys who can fill it up from 3 and he becomes invaluable

Welcome to the BBN. I think this kid will do really well at UK. Playing with great players will only make him better.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Kid has a great positive attitude. And now UK has a lot of good pieces, a revitalized coaching staff and a needed reset for Cal's coaching career. Let's see if he and the team can come together to do some Kentucky-like things.
On paper this looks like a 3-4 seed type team come tournament time. But, there are a lot of unknowns and a lot of welcomed change around the program. Should be interesting.

I was not able to watch the announcement live but KSR has a replay of it and just got through watching it and i can see where a lot of you were impressed with how well spoken he was and i agree with you all.
Like other have pointed i hope Cal lets this team play fast and have fun and not be screaming at them all the time. Let them play through their mistakes and it may be a fun season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT